Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

In my area Verizon uses a LTE panel by itself. And has additional CDMA 850 panels beside them.

Robert

I'll have to double check - but I think Verizon uses a single 700 LTE panel and 1900 CDMA panels at most of their sites in Austin - but in the last few weeks, I've seen a few towers where new 700-900/1700-2100 panels popped up where there were formerly only 1900 panels. They could've been AT&T, but AT&T has had the dual-band antennas in place for almost a decade now on the majority of their sites. So I am more inclined to think that Verizon may be starting to do an NV-style overhaul here.

• Like 1

I'll have to double check - but I think Verizon uses a single 700 LTE panel and 1900 CDMA panels at most of their sites in Austin - but in the last few weeks, I've seen a few towers where new 700-900/1700-2100 panels popped up where there were formerly only 1900 panels. They could've been AT&T, but AT&T has had the dual-band antennas in place for almost a decade now on the majority of their sites. So I am more inclined to think that Verizon may be starting to do an NV-style overhaul here.

Here are typical Verizon panels in New Mexico:

gallery_1_1_42697.jpg

The larger panel is LTE 750. The narrower panels are CDMA 850. They typically have LTE 750 on one side, and the two 850 on the other side. Sometimes they have them like this with LTE 750 in the center.

In my observations, VZW CDMA 850 propagates quite a but further than LTE 750. VZE LTE 750 starts degrading rapidly at -90 RSSI and is unusable at -95 RSSI. You can kind of see the downtilt on the LTE 750 in the right hand sector is less severe to try to match coverage to the CDMA 850 as much as possible. However, the left hand sector they are the same because that sector faces a mountain.

Robert

Ran speed test on my friends tmobile phone. 25mbps down.... wow.my new galaxy note 2 got 0.1 mbps down. I was embarrassed with the slow speed on a great phone. Sprint must bring lte fast!!

I have a Nexus 4 on T-Mobile. I do like the HSPA+ speeds in the urban areas I go. But all the EDGE service outside of major metros is pretty sad. T-Mobile is only good for people who stay in the city, unfortunately. Where Sprint LTE is up and running, it is great. Thankfully coverage grows every single day.

Robert

I have a Nexus 4 on T-Mobile. I do like the HSPA+ speeds in the urban areas I go. But all the EDGE service outside of major metros is pretty sad. T-Mobile is only good for people who stay in the city, unfortunately. Where Sprint LTE is up and running, it is great. Thankfully coverage grows every single day.

Robert

I was on T-Mobile for a little and while the speeds were great most of the time but i noticed really high latency, sometimes in the 1000's

I was on T-Mobile for a little and while the speeds were great most of the time but i noticed really high latency, sometimes in the 1000's

My latency on Tmo is all over the place. Sometimes it will be in the high 100's and sometimes over a 1000ms. I know what you mean.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Any panel that covers AWS 2100+1700 MHz has been deployed within the past five years, as that was when AWS was originally licensed and started entering the market.

AJ

sorry for my lack of knowledge in wireless services but i have some questions after getting note 2. i really do not know the difference between ehrpd, cdma, evdo. i was checking my phone status and sometimes it shows evdo and sometimes it shows ehrpd. what is the difference? and the signal strength shows -85dbm and 4asu and the numbers seem to change. i know dbm is decibel and lower the number is the better the signal. but what is ASU? thanks in advance. sprint have to work faster in NYC although i see good improvements in 3G speeds.

Yes. Sprint will be adding LTE 800 to approx. 80% of their sites starting in the 2nd half of 2013.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Hey Robert,

Do you have any idea on when Sprint will begin rolling out HD Voice? I know earlier this year they expected to have it launched in some areas by the end of this year but things have obviously gotten pushed back.

• Like 1

Any panel that covers AWS 2100+1700 MHz has been deployed within the past five years, as that was when AWS was originally licensed and started entering the market.

AJ

Clarification - In the context of AT&T dual band I was referring to 850 & 1900. Verizon and AT&T have both started deploying the new multi-band panels within the last month or two here in Austin. It is getting harder and harder to tell AT&T apart from Verizon antennas now. But usually AT&T uses 4 panels per sector while Vz has deploys 3 per sector. But that's not always the case.

Do you have any idea on when Sprint will begin rolling out HD Voice? I know earlier this year they expected to have it launched in some areas by the end of this year but things have obviously gotten pushed back.

HD Voice is largely/entirely a device issue, not a network issue.

Have you applied any updates to your EVO LTE? Out of the box, the EVO LTE does not appear to support the EVRC-NW codec necessary for HD Voice.

You can check for EVRC-NW by using the ##VOCODER# dialer code, selecting edit mode, and entering your MSL.

AJ

HD Voice is largely/entirely a device issue, not a network issue.

Have you applied any updates to your EVO LTE? Out of the box, the EVO LTE does not appear to support the EVRC-NW codec necessary for HD Voice.

You can check for EVRC-NW by using the ##VOCODER# dialer code, selecting edit mode, and entering your MSL.

AJ

I thought that HD Voice was only going to be usable on CDMA 1x Advanced so wouldn't that have to be deployed in order for me to use it?

I thought that HD Voice was only going to be usable on CDMA 1x Advanced so wouldn't that have to be deployed in order for me to use it?

Nope. This seems to be a commonly held myth that I have tried to dispel but have failed.

Sure, I could be dead wrong, but I can find no reason that EVRC-NW requires CDMA1X Advanced. EVRC-NW operates at no higher data rate; it just uses more advanced data reduction techniques.

So, EVRC-NW requires device and MSC compatibility. That is it.

AJ

Nope. This seems to be a commonly held myth that I have tried to dispel but have failed.

Sure, I could be dead wrong, but I can find no reason that EVRC-NW requires CDMA1X Advanced. EVRC-NW operates at no higher data rate; it just uses more advanced data reduction techniques.

So, EVRC-NW requires device and MSC compatibility. That is it.

AJ

So it all comes down to Sprint rolling out an update to the EVO to enable it? Could it be possible that it already has the capability enabled? I have never talked on the phone to someone with another EVO LTE so I can't try it.

So it all comes down to Sprint rolling out an update to the EVO to enable it? Could it be possible that it already has the capability enabled? I have never talked on the phone to someone with another EVO LTE so I can't try it.

See ##VOCODER# in my post up the page.

AJ

I don't know my MSL, but under view mode it just says EVRC.

You need your MSL. View mode will not tell you much other than the default settings.

AJ