Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

On 10/19/2020 at 8:55 AM, PedroDaGr8 said:

It sounds like how it is for all 5G phones. My Samsung Note 20 Ultra is basically a T-Mobile phone. Unless I force the bands, I am more or less permanently on T-Mobile. 

hows it been out there??

The first 60 days mid may to end of june, I was fine... NOW, I am having all sorts of issues.. Calls going straight to VM.. Even had calls going to some random number (customer emailed asking if I had changed my number) for a few hours.. People cant hear me... Data locks up, says I am connected, but apps and speed test say otherwise..

Needless to say I am pissed... and getting more so, when I cant get to a tier 2 support person

• Like 1

Has anyone seen any of the former Sprint stores close down? Around here it seems that every single Sprint store was kept open and converted to T-Mobile no matter how close it was to an existing T-Mobile store. I've recently noticed several of the converted stores have gotten new permanent signage replacing the temporary banner signs from Day 1 conversion.

59 minutes ago, mdob07 said:

Has anyone seen any of the former Sprint stores close down? Around here it seems that every single Sprint store was kept open and converted to T-Mobile no matter how close it was to an existing T-Mobile store. I've recently noticed several of the converted stores have gotten new permanent signage replacing the temporary banner signs from Day 1 conversion.

We have a Sprint store and a Tmobile store about two or three doors apart.  Both seem to be up and running so far.  I think they are third party or independent stores.  They may be negotiating to see which one to keep.  Can't imagine keeping them both.

2 hours ago, IrwinshereAgain said:

We have a Sprint store and a Tmobile store about two or three doors apart.  Both seem to be up and running so far.  I think they are third party or independent stores.  They may be negotiating to see which one to keep.  Can't imagine keeping them both.

Probably more cost effective in the short term to keep both, until leases run out (if a Corp store)   I know the corp sprint store is rebranded... and is a few blocks from a 3rd party Tmo.. The corp tmo is a few towns over

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IrwinshereAgain said:

There is a small shopping plaza near me that has Sprint and T-Mobile next to each other, and AT&T and Verizon a few doors down. The Sprint store was re-branded in early August and both remain open today, literally right next to each other, their doors are inches apart but they remain separate. It is funny to see, but I assume there are leases involved that make it pointless to close one immediately. I don't think either one was a corporate store but I'm not positive.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mdob07 said:

One of our stores here in Downtown DC consolidated a block away. Most of the employees were transferred to other stores and said the lease was expiring, so the timing was just right for corporate real estate to let it go.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mdob07 said:

We've had a few shut down in this area, but not many, from what I've seen.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, floorguy said:

hows it been out there??

The first 60 days mid may to end of june, I was fine... NOW, I am having all sorts of issues.. Calls going straight to VM.. Even had calls going to some random number (customer emailed asking if I had changed my number) for a few hours.. People cant hear me... Data locks up, says I am connected, but apps and speed test say otherwise..

Needless to say I am pissed... and getting more so, when I cant get to a tier 2 support person

The data lockup happened to me yesterday. As you mention, showed good connection, I was able to text and make calls, but nothing else. It was probably 24 hours, the only way I could get any data was WiFi.  I did all sorts of stuff to troubleshoot, including backing out of the Android 11 beta and reloading 10, sim changes, etc.  Left for work this morning and it was just working.  I'm kind of frustrated that I went through all that!

22 hours ago, floorguy said:

hows it been out there??

Have you tried disabling 5G and using 2G/3G/4G only mode? I spend at least a week a month in northern Utah and haven't experienced any of this on my LTE device, and I average 100GB/month and 8k minutes. I'm on a T-Mobile plan. 

14 hours ago, mdob07 said:

Actually had a T-Mobile store close that was near a Sprint store and they rebranded the Sprint store

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

It would be nice if T-Mobile did some "Uncarrier" changes for Sprint.... such as removing taxes and fees from our plans.

From that quick video, they may be doing that.  They already don't have then on the TMobile plans.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, clbowens said:

From that quick video, they may be doing that.  They already don't have then on the TMobile plans.

In rewatching it, I have a feeling the Uncarrier event could be for T-Mobile's TV service (T-Vision) with no extra taxes/fees and no charge for a "box". There's a TV in the background, and Mike says "It's on."

Would be nice if it was available to Sprint customers if this is the case.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

In rewatching it, I have a feeling the Uncarrier event could be for T-Mobile's TV service (T-Vision) with no extra taxes/fees and no charge for a "box". There's a TV in the background, and Mike says "It's on."

Would be nice if it was available to Sprint customers if this is the case.

Let them fix their network first. Then they can worry about T-Vision. 

• Like 2

My guess, a new bundle.

T-Mobile has had their core mobile phone business

They also have the T-Vision service, that required the subscriber to provide a separate Internet connection.

The more recent T-Mobile Home Internet, is now more widely available.

I live in Grand Rapids, the first place they released Home Internet on a wide scale, and I have had the service since August, and it works great for streaming, and everything else.  It has been stated, in the past by T-Mobile, that you could NOT use T-Vision on a T-Mobile Home Internet service, yet, but they hoped to someday have such an offer.  (Oddly, they don't seem to have a problem with me using it to stream Hulu, or Sling, or YouTube or Amazon or any other similar service).

So, I'm guessing provide T-Vision, with Home Internet service, that you can combine with your mobile service, one company, one bill, MOST of your communications needs in one step.

That would go head to head with Comcast and Spectrum, that have wired Internet & TV service, and mobile service through their MNVO with Verizon.  Also  ATT, with their wired Internet and TV packages (or DirecTV) and their own mobile service.

Everything could all be handled through one customer service point, and no more waiting on installers to come to your home, they send you a box, you hook it up and are ready to enjoy in about 10 minutes (for most reasonably tech savvy people).

Such a plan could be a big announcement, if priced at an affordable amount.

19 hours ago, RedSpark said:

It would be nice if T-Mobile did some "Uncarrier" changes for Sprint.... such as removing taxes and fees from our plans.

Speaking of taxes and fees, did anyone else's skyrocket over the last few months? My $40 plan now tacks on another $21 in fees and taxes.. that's a steep tax rate!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

Speaking of taxes and fees, did anyone else's skyrocket over the last few months? My $40 plan now tacks on another $21 in fees and taxes.. that's a steep tax rate!

While they normally adjust sales taxes starting 1/1, did you notice what taxes/fees jumped? Most city/state budgets reset October 1, so they could've adjusted them then. Otherwise, it wouldn't surprise me if the 'administrative surcharges' were revised higher.

1 hour ago, mikejeep said:

Mine went up $0.05 this month...  LOL  
My surcharges and taxes come out to about $70 a month, which I didn't think is too bad for the number of lines I have!

They'll definitely announce TVision, but I rather doubt that they'll push it heavily along with their home broadband. Remember that the home broadband is LTE based right now, so there isn't a ton of capacity. They may allow folks to use the two together, but they won't encourage it.

With that said, if you can hand out new boxes with AV1 support, or even VVC, that might drop stream size down to the point where they're comfortable throwing it over LTE and actually promoting that arrangement.

This is in contrast to the Layer3 original product, which just threw a ton of bitrate at everything, resulting in both high quality and high bandwidth requirements.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, grapkoski said:

While they normally adjust sales taxes starting 1/1, did you notice what taxes/fees jumped? Most city/state budgets reset October 1, so they could've adjusted them then. Otherwise, it wouldn't surprise me if the 'administrative surcharges' were revised higher.

It looks like when I added a free line they offered me (that I haven't used and has never had a device attached), that doubled the "administrative charge" from $5 to $10 and the state 911 surcharge went up. Free is never free!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, iansltx said:

They'll definitely announce TVision, but I rather doubt that they'll push it heavily along with their home broadband. Remember that the home broadband is LTE based right now, so there isn't a ton of capacity. They may allow folks to use the two together, but they won't encourage it.

With that said, if you can hand out new boxes with AV1 support, or even VVC, that might drop stream size down to the point where they're comfortable throwing it over LTE and actually promoting that arrangement.

This is in contrast to the Layer3 original product, which just threw a ton of bitrate at everything, resulting in both high quality and high bandwidth requirements.

Yeah, I'm now very sure it will involve TVision, not sure on all the details, what I posted above was just a guess.

After my post above, I remembered this article from 3 months ago...

https://9to5google.com/2020/07/23/t-mobile-android-tv-fcc-leak/

The logo on the device remote, has the same "arrow in the O" as the O in "It's ON" that is seen on Mike's screen in the background of that video.

Unfortunately, in the limited areas where TVision is available now, $90/mo. for 154 channels is not a real compelling price point.  Probably not out of line with other options, (royalty and carriage fees need to be passed to the consumer) but still, not cheap.  Packaging all the services together, might make things more appealing to the masses.