Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

1 hour ago, sunmybun said:

yea its bs. ive escalated a ticket about the tnx and our plan. it wont go anywhere but its need to be done. i rather have no throttling than xxGB of hotspot, also.

i havent tried the vpn. does it work well? and hows the latency?

Depends on the vpn and the server I believe. Many people use them for his video.

Don’t quit fighting it either. We need all the fussing to possibly get their attention to do something. As for now they will probably just say TNX is optional and you can revert back to sprint sim. Once TNX is not optional, that’s when we need to fight it for sure.

Edited by Cardsfan96
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, clbowens said:

Whoa.  Were you hugging the tower?!

It is this absolutely absurd local T-Mobile site. The antenna is basically 7-8 ft off the ground and points right at a McDonald's drive thru and that's not even the most ridiculous thing about this site. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I have switched one of my lines from roamahome to multocn.
That line connects to sprint plmn as main (312530).
When i force roam to tmobile bands, the phone(s20 ultra) switches the plmn to 311490 and not 310260.

my line which is roamahome uses 310260 in tmobile bands.
When forcing sprint bands, the phone(s21 ultra) uses sprint 312530.

I am gonna try to see about mocn. The tech support says that multocn is mocn.
but isnt mocn multocn in short? so multocn =mocn?

52 minutes ago, sunmybun said:

I am gonna try to see about mocn. The tech support says that multocn is mocn.
but isnt mocn multocn in short? so multocn =mocn?

MOCN stands for multi-operator core network (it's a well established resource sharing technology).  I'm guessing MultOCN stands for the same thing.  

10 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

MOCN stands for multi-operator core network (it's a well established resource sharing technology).  I'm guessing MultOCN stands for the same thing.  

yea i guess so. Im new to these things esp about networking.

is tna separate code or its part of roamahome?

I just did the swap this evening to TNX just for funsies, at a third party tmobile store.

For what its worth, my mobile hotspot still works and running fast speedtest, doesnt seem to show any throttle.  not sure if both of those will die overnight.

I was disappointed to not see any 5G SA (yet) but what i do see a lot of now is n71 / 5G-NR 600....wtf is that?  On the surface it just looks like band 71 is configured to show as 5G now, is this the faux 5G tmobile BS?  Before TNX, the phone / signal check would just show Band 71 LTE but again, it seems like they have it configured now to show 5G which is silly.  Speeds between the two are about the same which is why I am sort of calling shenanigans on this.

Also, with TNX, Textra (which i have used for years) now shows SMS messages as "sent > delivered" prior to this and always on sprint, textra would just show them as sent.  What does TNX do here to give the phone this insight now that apparently was never available before?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, swintec said:

Also, with TNX, Textra (which i have used for years) now shows SMS messages as "sent > delivered" prior to this and always on sprint, textra would just show them as sent.  What does TNX do here to give the phone this insight now that apparently was never available before?

I'm very interested in this too.. I thought this was the type of feature that would only be available with RCS -- which Textra can't support yet because the API hasn't been made available to third-party developers. The only RCS client I think is available right now is the Android Messages app. I'd love to know the reason behind this!

9 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

I'm very interested in this too.. I thought this was the type of feature that would only be available with RCS -- which Textra can't support yet because the API hasn't been made available to third-party developers. The only RCS client I think is available right now is the Android Messages app. I'd love to know the reason behind this!

well, it does not show them as read.  wild guess is that tmobile simply has agreements with the other carriers to give them this info (since it would all be done at the network level, the network knows if the device has received it) which apps like textra is able to utilize, completely independent on RCS?

with a little search, i found the answer to my own question...lol. my fault for not reading the past posts.

maybe ill do more testing with my mocn line and compare it to the roamahome lines.

since mocn is temporary, how would they change the mocn and roamahome later?

by forcing a tmobile sim or just firmware update to use 310260 plmn?

maybe by that time, all sprint users will change to tmobiles own plans? 😕

my situation is just a little bit diff. since its not a personal account.

but when the time comes i bet that tmobile wont care to honor the same features. they prolly will say to take their magenta 'business' plan or not. realistically speaking.

i will cry when i have to lose my ed plan..lol esp with subsidized phone pricing...

boohoo i know. i know. im such a baby haha

Edited by sunmybun

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

Wow.

Yep. The $70 plan still isn't great...not a ton of hotspot and still SD-only video...but the 100GB deprioritization limit is nice and of course 5 GB of hotspot is better than 3.

Bumping the top-tier plan from 720p to UHD for video is significant though, as is doubling the hotspot cap...and removing the deprioritization limit on the entire network is a testament to how string TMo feels their network is. Guessing they figure they can add mid-band capacity quickly enough to deal with network congestion. They also probably know that VZW and AT&T can attempt to match this once C-Band comes online, so they might as well give themselves a 9+ month head start. THe other two can compete with this now, but VZW will have to use CBRS to do it, and AT&T will have to get creative via other means, so it'll cost those two more vs. just dropping n41 on a site.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iansltx said:

Bumping the top-tier plan from 720p to UHD for video is significant though, as is doubling the hotspot cap...and removing the deprioritization limit on the entire network is a testament to how string TMo feels their network is. 

It says existing promotions can be transferred to the new plan for existing customer. I wonder if they'll honor free lines and 20% hookup? These promos were meant to stick with the plan and not the account iirc.

2 hours ago, iansltx said:

Bumping the top-tier plan from 720p to UHD for video is significant though, as is doubling the hotspot cap...and removing the deprioritization limit on the entire network is a testament to how string TMo feels their network is. Guessing they figure they can add mid-band capacity quickly enough to deal with network congestion. 

In markets where T-Mobile has deployed n41 densley, they have insane amounts of "excess" capacity and in spite of the super high speeds we're seeing, they still seem mostly limited by backhaul alone. As usage increases they can increase backhaul to keep up with it.

I think what's more interesting/frightening is the effect that this plan will have on the LTE network as most people still haven't upgraded to 5G devices just yet. I hope they're prepared.

1 hour ago, greenbastard said:

It says existing promotions can be transferred to the new plan for existing customer. I wonder if they'll honor free lines and 20% hookup? These promos were meant to stick with the plan and not the account iirc.

They'll honor hookup, free line promos from after 6/2/2019 and some others, according to an employee on reddit. I'm on Magenta Plus right now with 7 lines (2 paid, 5 free) and a $15 discount match, bringing my total plan cost to $125.  If I am understanding it correctly, I can switch to Max for no additional cost.  Guess I'll find out on Wednesday.

I

5 minutes ago, dewbertdc said:

I asked them that question today on Twitter, and I was told the opposite.  

The key word is essentially. That's the word they have on there. I haven't posted on this website in probably 6 years. Anyways I'm pretty sure they have some exemptions to the no deprioritization they advertise on their plan. I'm pretty sure they're going to have Network management being in  effect to some extent.

4 hours ago, jamesinclair said:

Well I looked over my plan...and my ED1500 is still better? Ive got 50GB hotspot, high speed internet in all of Latin America (1GB), free hulu, and the price is about the same?

the magenta max is similar to the ed 1500. but the only problem with ed1500 is that you will not get 5g sa because of sprint sim. (that is if you have a 5g phone or will get a 5g phone in the near future)
you should switch to the magenta max.

for me, the the new magenta max is great but its one short of our ed1500. I have the option to buy new phones with 2 year contract pricing. With taxes and fees, I have preordered the 512gb s21 ultra for $971. no trade in or anything.
 full retail price is $1379 and with nyc sales tax it comes out to about $1500).

we buy phones every year. one line's contract ended this year, next year the other line's contract ends, and etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jamesinclair said:

Well I looked over my plan...and my ED1500 is still better? Ive got 50GB hotspot, high speed internet in all of Latin America (1GB), free hulu, and the price is about the same?

Only problem is we’re going to have to fight for our HD streaming after TNX. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sunmybun said:

the magenta max is similar to the ed 1500. but the only problem with ed1500 is that you will not get 5g sa because of sprint sim. (that is if you have a 5g phone or will get a 5g phone in the near future)
you should switch to the magenta max.

for me, the the new magenta max is great but its one short of our ed1500. I have the option to buy new phones with 2 year contract pricing. With taxes and fees, I have preordered the 512gb s21 ultra for $971. no trade in or anything.
 full retail price is $1379 and with nyc sales tax it comes out to about $1500).

we buy phones every year. one line's contract ended this year, next year the other line's contract ends, and etc.

You can TNX and get SA 5g on ED1500.