Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

1 hour ago, jreuschl said:

So I just got my S21 Sprint from Samsung.  Stick with ROMAHOME or go full TNX?  Any advantages?

TNX lets you use SA; Sprint SIMs are NSA-only. Not 100% certain on whether NR CA is TNX-only; I'm personally not seeing it here but that may just be a network thing.

Aaaaand my Unlimited Plus Subsidy plan, which I got well under a year ago, doesn't work with TNX. I can either switch to one of the more basic plans (nonstarter due to hotspot allotments/speeds) or spend an advertised $15/mo more to go to the standard Unlimited Plus plan. Think I'll wait instead and complain every so often 'til TMo devices it's worth it to get me on their 5G network more often.

15 hours ago, iansltx said:

Aaaaand my Unlimited Plus Subsidy plan, which I got well under a year ago, doesn't work with TNX. I can either switch to one of the more basic plans (nonstarter due to hotspot allotments/speeds) or spend an advertised $15/mo more to go to the standard Unlimited Plus plan. Think I'll wait instead and complain every so often 'til TMo devices it's worth it to get me on their 5G network more often.

I went in to see if I could switch to TNX.... Nope my business plan doesnt qualify... SO now I think I need to call and tell them to kick me back to sprint.. I continue to have issues...   Just last week, I looked in my VM (which hasnt been showing me NEW ones for some reason) and there was 1 from the 16th... I looked at my phone.. NO history... Looked online at my bill/usage and nothing there either..

How the hell can you run a  business if you dont get calls??  How many others are like this (not just me but businesses in general)?? you can never know unless they leave a VM.

The other problem (I tried before) you cant get to anyone who can actually make a decision/credit on your account for this screw up.

On a separate note.. A tower near me which had both Tmo and Sprint... Just had the Tmo equipment taken off.. As I drove by it while the crane was there, and SCP didnt show the Tmo readings.

So co-location work is under way... just need to flip some spectrum now.

Edited by floorguy
Fix sentence
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, floorguy said:

I went in to see if I could switch to TNX.... Nope my business plan doesnt qualify... SO now I think I need to call and tell them to kick me back to sprint.. I continue to have issues...   Just last week, I looked in my VM (which hasnt been showing me NEW ones for some reason) and there was 1 from the 16th... I looked at my phone.. NO history... Looked online at my bill/usage and nothing there either..

How the hell can you run a  business if you dont get calls??  How many others are like this (not just me but businesses in general)?? you can never know unless they leave a VM.

The other problem (I tried before) you cant get to anyone who can actually make a decision/credit on your account for this screw up.

Floorguy, you are on Sprint SIM (ROMAHOME) and not getting calls?? I rarely get calls on my S20+ with Sprint SIM. Telemarketers get through just fine, but people on my plan usually go to VM or nothing like you said.

I'm feverishly trying to decide if I want to use the TNX SIM that is in the box with our new S21 phones. I too live very near a Sprint tower that I believe is a keep site, but the nearest TMO tower is quite some distance away...so the interim might be rough. 

On 1/28/2021 at 12:00 PM, mmark27 said:

Floorguy, you are on Sprint SIM (ROMAHOME) and not getting calls?? I rarely get calls on my S20+ with Sprint SIM. Telemarketers get through just fine, but people on my plan usually go to VM or nothing like you said.

I'm feverishly trying to decide if I want to use the TNX SIM that is in the box with our new S21 phones. I too live very near a Sprint tower that I believe is a keep site, but the nearest TMO tower is quite some distance away...so the interim might be rough. 

the problem is, I cant even use the TNX, because of a business plan.

And its random.. so its not just my home tower or anything like that

On 1/28/2021 at 2:00 PM, mmark27 said:

If the closest site is a keep site, then TNX will readily use it. It's seen as native T-mobile (equivalent to 310-260 PLMN), and will be equal priority as any other T-mobile site. Basically keep sites are literally T-mobile native sites now.

Just now, ingenium said:

If the closest site is a keep site, then TNX will readily use it. It's seen as native T-mobile (equivalent to 310-260 PLMN), and will be equal priority as any other T-mobile site. Basically keep sites are literally T-mobile native sites now.

Yes, I learned this by trial.....went TNX and I get all Sprint LTE bands just fine. My 5G NR is very fast, far faster than with my Sprint SIM. When on strong Sprint signal, I get Sprint bands. Very pleased with this S21 Ultra on TNX!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mmark27 said:

Yes, I learned this by trial.....went TNX and I get all Sprint LTE bands just fine. My 5G NR is very fast, far faster than with my Sprint SIM. When on strong Sprint signal, I get Sprint bands. Very pleased with this S21 Ultra on TNX!

TNX has been phenomenal for me, T-Mobile definitely has better coverage in my area. I still do lose service going over the one bridge but no network can keep a signal there, it's at the bottom of a hill over a crick so kinda bad for any signal. Otherwise it's been fantastic. If T-Mobile ever rolls out better plans I will switch over completely. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

TNX has been phenomenal for me, T-Mobile definitely has better coverage in my area. I still do lose service going over the one bridge but no network can keep a signal there, it's at the bottom of a hill over a crick so kinda bad for any signal. Otherwise it's been fantastic. If T-Mobile ever rolls out better plans I will switch over completely. 

Similar, except it's BAD for me at home!  For some reason, I'm in a small area of poor reception on T-Mobile.  I'm pretty close to a Sprint site, but it's not marked as "keep" and therefore roaming.  The Magic Box is of very little use these days as well. Practically everywhere else, it's as good, with usually better speeds!

1 hour ago, jporter12 said:

Similar, except it's BAD for me at home!  For some reason, I'm in a small area of poor reception on T-Mobile.  I'm pretty close to a Sprint site, but it's not marked as "keep" and therefore roaming.  The Magic Box is of very little use these days as well. Practically everywhere else, it's as good, with usually better speeds!

My magic box has been unplugged for months, no one was connecting to it anymore.

On 1/25/2021 at 9:05 PM, iansltx said:

VZW doesn't have a throttle on mmW. Most of their plans state 720p but I'm not sure what the speed cap is.

Do you still need to go outside (and freeze up north in the winter) to get it on your phone, or have they managed to increase its performance yet to where you can stay warm and cozy inside?

On 1/30/2021 at 6:52 PM, ingenium said:

I am going to have to test this in my market.  Will move my Sprint free line to TNX.  If it is a go, they I will be free to get a S21 or whatever (hoping for an 888 with removable storage and 6E).

37 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

Do you still need to go outside (and freeze up north in the winter) to get it on your phone, or have they managed to increase its performance yet to where you can stay warm and cozy inside?

Nope, still outdoor-only!

So 4 of us on our plan upgraded our phones through the website on a sprint legacy plan when the new iPhones came out. When we checked out it allowed us to have the trade in credit and a $10 monthly service credit per line on the invoice when checking out. Because of that we purchased 4 new phones 3 with trade ins and all four showed the service credit on the invoice in checkout. 

Now a few months later i was told those credits won’t stack and only 1 service credit added to the bill which pretty much confirms it. How should I go about fighting this now to get my other 3 $10 credits? I have the invoice emails that have all credits shown and subtracted from the monthly cost I was supposed to pay.

4 hours ago, Cardsfan96 said:

So 4 of us on our plan upgraded our phones through the website on a sprint legacy plan when the new iPhones came out. When we checked out it allowed us to have the trade in credit and a $10 monthly service credit per line on the invoice when checking out. Because of that we purchased 4 new phones 3 with trade ins and all four showed the service credit on the invoice in checkout. 

Now a few months later i was told those credits won’t stack and only 1 service credit added to the bill which pretty much confirms it. How should I go about fighting this now to get my other 3 $10 credits? I have the invoice emails that have all credits shown and subtracted from the monthly cost I was supposed to pay.

If initial attempt with Care fail, you can follow

https://www.sprint.com/en/legal/terms-and-conditions.html

Before initiating an arbitration or a small claims matter, you and Sprint each agree to first provide to the other a written notice (“Notice of Dispute”), which will contain: (a) a written description of the problem and relevant documents and supporting information; and (b) a statement of the specific relief sought. A Notice of Dispute to Sprint should be sent to: General Counsel; Arbitration Office; 12502 Sunrise Valley Drive, Mailstop VARESA0202-2C682; Reston, Virginia 20191. Sprint will provide a Notice of Dispute to you in accordance with the “How Will Sprint Talk To Me About My Agreement?” section of this Agreement. Sprint will provide you a designated representative to work with to try to resolve your Dispute to your satisfaction. You and Sprint agree to make attempts to resolve the Dispute prior to commencing an arbitration or small claims action. If an agreement cannot be reached within sixty (60) days of receipt of the Notice of Dispute, you or Sprint may commence an arbitration proceeding or small claims action. 

Edited by comintel
clarify

Anyone here know if international data is still broke with TNX?  I realize this may not be an issue for a bit with travel restrictions, but based on prior comments on Reddit, TNXing breaks international access.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 5:15 PM, Paynefanbro said:

Apple hasn’t pushed the update to iPhones in the U.S. to allow standalone 5G. So far they’ve only released that update in China. 

Has anyone downloaded the iOS 14.5 beta to see if this has been enabled? This update is also bringing dual-SIM 5G

I'm curious to see how that toggle works. When you click it, does it automatically force your phone into a 5G only mode or does it just allow your phone to use 5G standalone when outside of PCS/AWS coverage?

It's kinda confusing because the description that Apple gives makes it seems like it's a VoNR switch. If that's the case then I'd expect an announcement from T-Mobile about that shortly in addition to the activation of nationwide n41 SA.

Edit: It looks like the February security update for the Pixel 5 enabled 5G SA on T-Mobile as well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

I'm curious to see how that toggle works. When you click it, does it automatically force your phone into a 5G only mode or does it just allow your phone to use 5G standalone when outside of PCS/AWS coverage?

It's kinda confusing because the description that Apple gives makes it seems like it's a VoNR switch. If that's the case then I'd expect an announcement from T-Mobile about that shortly in addition to the activation of nationwide n41 SA.

Edit: It looks like the February security update for the Pixel 5 enabled 5G SA on T-Mobile as well.

Your probably right. It’s probably indicating one of the carriers will announce stand alone once this update launches.

3 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

I'd expect an announcement from T-Mobile about that shortly in addition to the activation of nationwide n41 SA.

There's no reason to deploy n41 SA outside of NR-only deployments.

If you're in n41 range, you're most definitely in range of LTE. Why not tap into whatever extra capacity LTE has to offer?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

If you're in n41 range, you're most definitely in range of LTE. Why not tap into whatever extra capacity LTE has to offer?

To add to this, the one site in my market that has n41 SA is not very fast when using it SA, but when combined with AWS it's really fast.  I'm not sure if tis is a configuration thing on the tower though.

3 hours ago, RAvirani said:

I completely agree. It's just speculation on my part that the announcement of VoNR may coincide with turning n41 SA on "publicly" because T-Mobile has been testing it for a while now and Apple's wording is interesting.