Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

1 hour ago, JossMan said:

Noticed a crew here in the middle of town yesterday that completely ripped and replaced this entire site that was GMO 1900MHz LTE only, I don't keep up with T-Mobile's gear but they were putting up this brand new configuration today.  

image0.jpg

They just did a rip and replace on a tower in area in STL. I'll get pictures tomorrow

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JossMan said:

Noticed a crew here in the middle of town yesterday that completely ripped and replaced this entire site that was GMO 1900MHz LTE only, I don't keep up with T-Mobile's gear but they were putting up this brand new configuration today.  

The shorter antenna is B/N41, so that's a good upgrade. Not sure what the other antenna is. Doesn't look like their standard B/N71 +B2/12/66 antenna. May just be B2/66 (or 12). Not entirely sure. Are there more than two antennas per sector?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

The shorter antenna is B/N41, so that's a good upgrade. Not sure what the other antenna is. Doesn't look like their standard B/N71 +B2/12/66 antenna. May just be B2/66 (or 12). Not entirely sure. Are there more than two antennas per sector?

that looks like the one they've been putting up around here that does B2/B66. its on all towers they upgrade that don't get 71 antennas added and on some of the "older" upgrades they did with 71 they put this antenna up as well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

Looks like T-Mobile turned on HPUE for n41. 

+3dB is twice the power! And a 19% increase in outdoor cell radius if my memory serves me correctly (assuming the UE's uplink doesn't die before that). 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

+3dB is twice the power! And a 19% increase in outdoor cell radius if my memory serves me correctly (assuming the UE's uplink doesn't die before that). 

The phone's uplink is the big issue.  When Sprint activated HPUE, I got very little benefit.  It looked to me like the phone could only transmit more power on a single 20 wide band 41 channel.   I had aggregated band 41 service in my area and had great downlink but terrible uplink.  The uplink was still the issue. I hope T-Mobile and the vendors figure out something.

The real solution if to have another lower band to use as the uplink. Trying to transmit band 41 on a wide aggregated channel is not going to work well if at all.  Too much power needed and the battery will not take it. I am STILL using Sprint service, but actually have band 41 disabled so I can access band 25 and have  a phone that works.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, chamb said:

The phone's uplink is the big issue.  When Sprint activated HPUE, I got very little benefit.  It looked to me like the phone could only transmit more power on a single 20 wide band 41 channel.   I had aggregated band 41 service in my area and had great downlink but terrible uplink.  The uplink was still the issue. I hope T-Mobile and the vendors figure out something.

The real solution if to have another lower band to use as the uplink. Trying to transmit band 41 on a wide aggregated channel is not going to work well if at all.  Too much power needed and the battery will not take it. I am STILL using Sprint service, but actually have band 41 disabled so I can access band 25 and have  a phone that works.

T-Mobile said during their investor day presentation that they plan on aggregating n71 with n41 this year and using n71 as the PCC, allowing for greater range on n41. 

• Like 5

On 3/23/2021 at 9:19 AM, aliensporebomb said:

But just so you know, if you swap to the TMobile SIM and convert over, you can't go back (I tried just to see what would happen).  

Oh you certainly can go back but it requires help from Support.   I have done so and so have numerous people.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Yea there are three per sector 

Perhaps this is reason enough alone to swap SIM's now. It's amazing how quickly T-Mobile moves on everything compared to Sprint, and this is in the middle of a pandemic no less.

• Like 5

On 3/25/2021 at 9:06 AM, RedSpark said:

Perhaps this is reason enough alone to swap SIM's now. It's amazing how quickly T-Mobile moves on everything compared to Sprint, and this is in the middle of a pandemic no less.

That is great news.. but do those of us with a Sprint SIM but on the T-Mobile network (TNA) not already benefit from it? That page doesn't mention anything specific about Sprint customers on the network.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2021 at 6:03 PM, Dkoellerwx said:

Ah, then you're probably looking at B12/71 on the larger one, with B2/66 on the other. Should be able to tell better when work is done, if you can get a closer picture. 

Will do I drove by the other day and there is actually 4 antennas per sector, ill snap new photos once they are done.

• Like 2

Oh that's interesting about the spam protection.  I got a call right after I switched the sim and got a incoming call that said "probably scam" which I've never seen before and sure enough it was one of those fake car extended warranty scam calls.  Interesting.

Anyone have problems getting their voicemail going after switching the sim?
(update: I had to basically start from scratch so to speak)...

I had to switch back to Sprint SIM. 

Far as tower info...I can't find much for AL... I know where the towers are for 35150/35151...but I can't seem to find much for permitting in this state.. 

I don't even think there are any users still hanging around here that are AL residents...

Just having the roaming capability that I didn't have with TMO is saving me ...because without a femtocell, on TMO...I got absolutely NOTHING. And wifi calling is a joke... 

1.5 - 2 miles away...I can easily pick up n66 ...and B2. Here's hoping they see this ATT tower that's 1 mile from me and decide to colocate if they can get that option.

12 hours ago, clbowens said:

Guesses?

According to reddit, "HINT" is what T-Mobile uses internally to refer to "Home Internet".

My guess is they're going to expand Home Internet in some way, shape, or form. My guess is they're just going to throw in some Google services like Google One with every subscription. Apparently, standalone Home Internet plans are also eligible for the YouTube TV and PhiloTV discounts, so I'm sure that will also be pushed.

• Like 5

All:  be careful once you switch to TMobile Sim.  I'm not sure how this happened but I've received a message indicating I've used 37 GB this billing cycle and if I use 50 GB they may slow me down.   I've never before gone beyond using 8 gb!

I had Sprint's unlimited plan prior to this and thought I still was but I've NEVER come close to this massive usage ever, there must have been a huge amount of data downloaded as a result of converting.  

I've done some speedtests when I go from area to area but I can't imagine why I'd go from never going beyond using 8gb to over 37 and I'm right in the middle of the billing cycle.   

Does anyone have any idea how this might have occurred?  I figure to keep it from going farther I
can disable cell access when I'm at home near my wifi router but....

1 hour ago, aliensporebomb said:

Does anyone have any idea how this might have occurred?  I figure to keep it from going farther I
can disable cell access when I'm at home near my wifi router but....

The data use section in the settings on your phone should tell you what is using all the data.

I keep having a problem for days now, where if my phone (still pure Sprint) picks up/switches to nearby TMo signal (usually B66 per SCP), suddenly I can't send or receive texts (its also flips to an R for Roaming, but all phone data settings are set to allow all roaming possibilities as well).  And toggling Airplane mode doesn't allow the phone to switch back to a native Sprint connection ever.   The only way I can ever fix it is to reboot the phone, then suddenly its fine again.

@Trip is the only person I know that has a G8X too for sure (or did) - granted you're in a completely different area than me, but have you experienced anything like this lately?

11 minutes ago, PythonFanPA said:

I keep having a problem for days now, where if my phone (still pure Sprint) picks up/switches to nearby TMo signal (usually B66 per SCP), suddenly I can't send or receive texts (its also flips to an R for Roaming, but all phone data settings are set to allow all roaming possibilities as well).  And toggling Airplane mode doesn't allow the phone to switch back to a native Sprint connection ever.   The only way I can ever fix it is to reboot the phone, then suddenly its fine again.

@Trip is the only person I know that has a G8X too for sure (or did) - granted you're in a completely different area than me, but have you experienced anything like this lately?

I have seen it randomly kick me over to T-Mobile roaming, but service still works when it does that.  I don't do texting and only do calling very infrequently, so I can't tell you whether or not those things work, though I think mine does 1X with T-Mobile LTE, as it typically would with roaming.  Is 1X enabled on your device?

I am sometimes able to get it to go back to Sprint with Airplane Mode, but it usually moves back on its own if I let it sit.  I think I've had to reboot it a few times, but not often.

- Trip

Wow.   According to my phone I supposedly did 23 gigabytes worth of speedtests.  I can't believe it exceeded that much data.  For 2-3 days after the switch I was doing speedtests when in a new area to see how things were there.   Yeah, no more!   Good lord.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, aliensporebomb said:

Wow.   According to my phone I supposedly did 23 gigabytes worth of speedtests.  I can't believe it.  For 2-3 days I was doing speedtests when in a new area to see how things were there.   Yeah, no more!   Good lord.

A test reaching speeds near 400Mbps can use over 500MB of data. If you're getting faster than that, easy to pull 1GB of data per test. 

• Like 7