Jump to content

Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, JossMan said:

Noticed a crew here in the middle of town yesterday that completely ripped and replaced this entire site that was GMO 1900MHz LTE only, I don't keep up with T-Mobile's gear but they were putting up this brand new configuration today.  

image0.jpg

They just did a rip and replace on a tower in area in STL. I'll get pictures tomorrow

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JossMan said:

Noticed a crew here in the middle of town yesterday that completely ripped and replaced this entire site that was GMO 1900MHz LTE only, I don't keep up with T-Mobile's gear but they were putting up this brand new configuration today.  

 

The shorter antenna is B/N41, so that's a good upgrade. Not sure what the other antenna is. Doesn't look like their standard B/N71 +B2/12/66 antenna. May just be B2/66 (or 12). Not entirely sure. Are there more than two antennas per sector?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

The shorter antenna is B/N41, so that's a good upgrade. Not sure what the other antenna is. Doesn't look like their standard B/N71 +B2/12/66 antenna. May just be B2/66 (or 12). Not entirely sure. Are there more than two antennas per sector?

that looks like the one they've been putting up around here that does B2/B66. its on all towers they upgrade that don't get 71 antennas added and on some of the "older" upgrades they did with 71 they put this antenna up as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

Looks like T-Mobile turned on HPUE for n41. 

+3dB is twice the power! And a 19% increase in outdoor cell radius if my memory serves me correctly (assuming the UE's uplink doesn't die before that). 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

+3dB is twice the power! And a 19% increase in outdoor cell radius if my memory serves me correctly (assuming the UE's uplink doesn't die before that). 

The phone's uplink is the big issue.  When Sprint activated HPUE, I got very little benefit.  It looked to me like the phone could only transmit more power on a single 20 wide band 41 channel.   I had aggregated band 41 service in my area and had great downlink but terrible uplink.  The uplink was still the issue. I hope T-Mobile and the vendors figure out something.

The real solution if to have another lower band to use as the uplink. Trying to transmit band 41 on a wide aggregated channel is not going to work well if at all.  Too much power needed and the battery will not take it. I am STILL using Sprint service, but actually have band 41 disabled so I can access band 25 and have  a phone that works.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, chamb said:

The phone's uplink is the big issue.  When Sprint activated HPUE, I got very little benefit.  It looked to me like the phone could only transmit more power on a single 20 wide band 41 channel.   I had aggregated band 41 service in my area and had great downlink but terrible uplink.  The uplink was still the issue. I hope T-Mobile and the vendors figure out something.

The real solution if to have another lower band to use as the uplink. Trying to transmit band 41 on a wide aggregated channel is not going to work well if at all.  Too much power needed and the battery will not take it. I am STILL using Sprint service, but actually have band 41 disabled so I can access band 25 and have  a phone that works.

T-Mobile said during their investor day presentation that they plan on aggregating n71 with n41 this year and using n71 as the PCC, allowing for greater range on n41. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2021 at 9:19 AM, aliensporebomb said:

But just so you know, if you swap to the TMobile SIM and convert over, you can't go back (I tried just to see what would happen).  

Oh you certainly can go back but it requires help from Support.   I have done so and so have numerous people.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

The shorter antenna is B/N41, so that's a good upgrade. Not sure what the other antenna is. Doesn't look like their standard B/N71 +B2/12/66 antenna. May just be B2/66 (or 12). Not entirely sure. Are there more than two antennas per sector?

Yea there are three per sector 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JossMan said:

Yea there are three per sector 

Ah, then you're probably looking at B12/71 on the larger one, with B2/66 on the other. Should be able to tell better when work is done, if you can get a closer picture. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perhaps this is reason enough alone to swap SIM's now. It's amazing how quickly T-Mobile moves on everything compared to Sprint, and this is in the middle of a pandemic no less.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2021 at 9:06 AM, RedSpark said:

Perhaps this is reason enough alone to swap SIM's now. It's amazing how quickly T-Mobile moves on everything compared to Sprint, and this is in the middle of a pandemic no less.

That is great news.. but do those of us with a Sprint SIM but on the T-Mobile network (TNA) not already benefit from it? That page doesn't mention anything specific about Sprint customers on the network.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/24/2021 at 6:03 PM, Dkoellerwx said:

Ah, then you're probably looking at B12/71 on the larger one, with B2/66 on the other. Should be able to tell better when work is done, if you can get a closer picture. 

Will do I drove by the other day and there is actually 4 antennas per sector, ill snap new photos once they are done.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh that's interesting about the spam protection.  I got a call right after I switched the sim and got a incoming call that said "probably scam" which I've never seen before and sure enough it was one of those fake car extended warranty scam calls.  Interesting.

Anyone have problems getting their voicemail going after switching the sim?
(update: I had to basically start from scratch so to speak)...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had to switch back to Sprint SIM. 

Far as tower info...I can't find much for AL... I know where the towers are for 35150/35151...but I can't seem to find much for permitting in this state.. 

I don't even think there are any users still hanging around here that are AL residents...

Just having the roaming capability that I didn't have with TMO is saving me ...because without a femtocell, on TMO...I got absolutely NOTHING. And wifi calling is a joke... 

1.5 - 2 miles away...I can easily pick up n66 ...and B2. Here's hoping they see this ATT tower that's 1 mile from me and decide to colocate if they can get that option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, clbowens said:

Guesses?

According to reddit, "HINT" is what T-Mobile uses internally to refer to "Home Internet".

My guess is they're going to expand Home Internet in some way, shape, or form. My guess is they're just going to throw in some Google services like Google One with every subscription. Apparently, standalone Home Internet plans are also eligible for the YouTube TV and PhiloTV discounts, so I'm sure that will also be pushed.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All:  be careful once you switch to TMobile Sim.  I'm not sure how this happened but I've received a message indicating I've used 37 GB this billing cycle and if I use 50 GB they may slow me down.   I've never before gone beyond using 8 gb!

I had Sprint's unlimited plan prior to this and thought I still was but I've NEVER come close to this massive usage ever, there must have been a huge amount of data downloaded as a result of converting.  

I've done some speedtests when I go from area to area but I can't imagine why I'd go from never going beyond using 8gb to over 37 and I'm right in the middle of the billing cycle.   

Does anyone have any idea how this might have occurred?  I figure to keep it from going farther I
can disable cell access when I'm at home near my wifi router but....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, aliensporebomb said:

Does anyone have any idea how this might have occurred?  I figure to keep it from going farther I
can disable cell access when I'm at home near my wifi router but....

The data use section in the settings on your phone should tell you what is using all the data.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I keep having a problem for days now, where if my phone (still pure Sprint) picks up/switches to nearby TMo signal (usually B66 per SCP), suddenly I can't send or receive texts (its also flips to an R for Roaming, but all phone data settings are set to allow all roaming possibilities as well).  And toggling Airplane mode doesn't allow the phone to switch back to a native Sprint connection ever.   The only way I can ever fix it is to reboot the phone, then suddenly its fine again.

@Trip is the only person I know that has a G8X too for sure (or did) - granted you're in a completely different area than me, but have you experienced anything like this lately?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, PythonFanPA said:

I keep having a problem for days now, where if my phone (still pure Sprint) picks up/switches to nearby TMo signal (usually B66 per SCP), suddenly I can't send or receive texts (its also flips to an R for Roaming, but all phone data settings are set to allow all roaming possibilities as well).  And toggling Airplane mode doesn't allow the phone to switch back to a native Sprint connection ever.   The only way I can ever fix it is to reboot the phone, then suddenly its fine again.

@Trip is the only person I know that has a G8X too for sure (or did) - granted you're in a completely different area than me, but have you experienced anything like this lately?

I have seen it randomly kick me over to T-Mobile roaming, but service still works when it does that.  I don't do texting and only do calling very infrequently, so I can't tell you whether or not those things work, though I think mine does 1X with T-Mobile LTE, as it typically would with roaming.  Is 1X enabled on your device?

I am sometimes able to get it to go back to Sprint with Airplane Mode, but it usually moves back on its own if I let it sit.  I think I've had to reboot it a few times, but not often.

- Trip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow.   According to my phone I supposedly did 23 gigabytes worth of speedtests.  I can't believe it exceeded that much data.  For 2-3 days after the switch I was doing speedtests when in a new area to see how things were there.   Yeah, no more!   Good lord.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, aliensporebomb said:

Wow.   According to my phone I supposedly did 23 gigabytes worth of speedtests.  I can't believe it.  For 2-3 days I was doing speedtests when in a new area to see how things were there.   Yeah, no more!   Good lord.

A test reaching speeds near 400Mbps can use over 500MB of data. If you're getting faster than that, easy to pull 1GB of data per test. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Posts

    • Got TNX'd yesterday. On chat to switch back now. SA n71 is cool, but speeds are pretty low (~30 Mbps) and unnecessary around here. Not seeing SA n41. And losing L-Sprint network access, other than 312-250 sites (which are few and far between here) is a downside. NR CA doesn't exist yet either. I'd rather catch L-Sprint LTE (and 1x) than L-TMo H+ (which is now down to a few Mbps). Only big benefit is theoretically T-Mobile roams on a solid carrier west of here, but I can just use a different (VZW/AT&T) SIM for that. Biggest downside though is that T-Mobile *still* haven't fixed the 1.5 Mbps streaming cap on TNX'd accounts. So I either VPN in (Cloudflare Warp+ works, but not while tethered) or I get heavily capped video throughput after an initial burst of speed. Of note, if you force SA (which *does* work in Samsung Band Selector; forcing NR 71 only gets you on SA n71) you can attempt to make calls, and they'll ring on the other end, but the call will fail after a half-second or so without ringing on your side. So VoNR definitely isn't there. Did some testing last night and the n41 site nearest me reaches about 0.6 mi on n41 (at which point I get 350-375 Mbps on 100 MHz). B41 LTE reaches a little over a mile, including indoors.
    • Went up to Middletown, NY again for the first time in a few months and every T-Mobile site with the exception of one has been upgraded to include Band 2/12/66/71 and n71. The sole site without Band/n71 at this point is a flagpole site that likely won't be upgraded for a while.  I got the chance to compare both Verizon and T-Mobile at more than just my friend's house this time around and they performed similarly. I got similar coverage on both carriers and generally slightly faster speeds on T-Mobile. This is because T-Mobile and Verizon are collocated nearly every tower there. There are only about two or three sites in the city where T-Mobile and Verizon aren't collocated. In those areas, one carrier or the other typically vastly outperforms the other in coverage and speeds. For example in Downtown Middletown I was getting speeds over 100Mbps on T-Mobile while on Verizon I was getting ~30Mbps because T-Mobile has a site near downtown (eNB 48775) that Verizon isn't on. On the other hand, in parts of East Middletown T-Mobile gets destroyed by Verizon because a large portion of it is served by Verizon eNB 74282 and T-Mobile isn't on that site. The good news is that Sprint is on that same tower with Verizon so hopefully that T-Mobile decides to keep/convert it.
    • Thanks everyone.  Later in the day, I went to an area of town where all carriers have weak service (a residential area where no one want a cell tower "in my backyard").  With my old S7, I would not even be able to get LTE, it would connect to borderline unusable 3G.  However, with my S21, I now get n71 and n71 only.  Thus, the user experience was way better there since it didn't have a choice.  Hope they fix the issue that occurs elsewhere, which seems to be quite widespread.  When I get some time (and patience), I may try to contact support. 
    • Yeah these 5G phones like to jump around a lot of makes no sense, can't even lock them to SA the phone will ignore it and jump back on NSA even with them disabled. 
    • My S20 also bounces cotinually between bands and no signal, making it useless.  However, there is a bypass:  Lock it to band 71 with the Samsung Band Selection app.
  • Recently Browsing

×
×
  • Create New...