T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

I'll bet people will complain about those speeds because Verizon and AT&T are getting faster then that

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TMobile still has a lot of work to do with LTE consistency where I live. You know like instead of tooting your own horn about your service put your money where your mouth is and keep improving upon it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carrilloevo said:

I'll bet people will complain about those speeds because Verizon and AT&T are getting faster then that

They already are complaining. Either way, those speeds drop significantly once there's a pane of glass in the way.

• Like 1

They already are complaining. Either way, those speeds drop significantly once there's a pane of glass in the way.
I'll be totally honest I don't give a darn about 5G or any of that stuff. I'm perfectly content with 4G LTE.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

PCMag got to test T-Mobile's 5G network in NYC unofficially by using a T-Mobile SIM in an Verizon S10 5G.

T-Mobile's midtown macro site spacing is good enough for pretty much seamless outdoor coverage. They mention it's 100MHz of spectrum which has a max speed of 650Mbps but they were only able to hit up to 500Mbps. Then (they believe) that T-Mobile caught on and started capping their speeds. 

https://www.pcmag.com/news/368728/t-mobiles-pre-launch-5g-network-results-are-encouraging

PCMag got to test T-Mobile's 5G network in NYC unofficially by using a T-Mobile SIM in an Verizon S10 5G.
T-Mobile's midtown macro site spacing is good enough for pretty much seamless outdoor coverage. They mention it's 100MHz of spectrum which has a max speed of 650Mbps but they were only able to hit up to 500Mbps. Then (they believe) that T-Mobile caught on and started capping their speeds. 
https://www.pcmag.com/news/368728/t-mobiles-pre-launch-5g-network-results-are-encouraging
300-400 on a cell phone it's way more then enough for me
.. Don't see the need of those speeds on a cell phone...

• Like 1

I know everyone has different needs.  30-50 download and 20-40 upload seem to be sufficient for me.  Coverage is my biggest concern.  I hate to get out on the highway somewhere and not get a signal.
Obviously I don't like that either. Coverage needs to be ubiquitous.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

300-400 on a cell phone it's way more then enough for me
.. Don't see the need of those speeds on a cell phone...

Yes, no one needs that speed on their phone. But I see it as a proxy for how much capacity is available, since the network is currently unloaded. So in that sense, 800+ Mbps means that a site can handle a lot of traffic without getting congested, vs 400 Mbps means it can absorb about half as much traffic before becoming congested.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Yes, no one needs that speed on their phone. But I see it as a proxy for how much capacity is available, since the network is currently unloaded. So in that sense, 800+ Mbps means that a site can handle a lot of traffic without getting congested, vs 400 Mbps means it can absorb about half as much traffic before becoming congested.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Also I find that type of speed on a cellphone ridiculous. unless it's some type of data have the application like virtual reality or something that takes up a ridiculous amount of bandwidth. I mean for Pete's sake I have a gigabit internet connection in my home. And I don't even use half that bandwidth.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

i doint need the speed for me it is all about  not cost ver much have pay as you go or tiny plan  

since if i want great speed i just use wifi  or waite till i get home to do it on my destop instead 

Edited by mattp
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 11:51 AM, Carrilloevo said:

I got this awhile back right when a new site came live.  Basically 5G for me. 😃

Screenshot_20190426-100639.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

L600 and L850! 

We are beginning the process of turning over to one antenna for dual low band. 

You can spit on low band all day until you need it. Imagine when n5/n71 kicks in 20+MHz of tree proof speedtests, land mobile LE comms and plenty of data/IoT subscribers who just want a complete LTE network. 

• Like 1

T-Mobile is launching 5G in 6 cities on June 28th alongside the Galaxy S10 5G. The cities are NYC, LA, Las Vegas, Dallas, Cleveland, and Atlanta. If you’re in one of these cities, you’ll be able to purchase the phone, though T-Mobile makes it clear that its 5G coverage is currently extremely limited and will only reliably work outdoors. They even kinda have coverage maps.

NYC has the largest deployment out of all of them and it's because their macro site density is insane here. The rest of the cities don't look too good.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paynefanbro said:

T-Mobile is launching 5G in 6 cities on June 28th alongside the Galaxy S10 5G. The cities are NYC, LA, Las Vegas, Dallas, Cleveland, and Atlanta. If you’re in one of these cities, you’ll be able to purchase the phone, though T-Mobile makes it clear that its 5G coverage is currently extremely limited and will only reliably work outdoors. They even kinda have coverage maps.

NYC has the largest deployment out of all of them and it's because their macro site density is insane here. The rest of the cities don't look too good.

Wow, that’s a really limited deployment. Quite the difference between Millimeter Wave and 2.5 GHz coverage. I’m surprised T-Mobile isn’t waiting for a handset with a modem that can support its 5G on 600 MHz.

1 hour ago, Paynefanbro said:

Indeed. Their Las Vegas launch coverage is hilarious :rofl:. I guess if one is staying at the Luxor then they're probably in good shape...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

Wow, that’s a really limited deployment. Quite the difference between Millimeter Wave and 2.5 GHz coverage. I’m surprised T-Mobile isn’t waiting for a handset with a modem that can support its 5G on 600 MHz.

It is actually a little embarrassing.

• Like 1

T-Mobile recently applied for 9 site permits in Columbus, OH for updated sites including band 71.  Here is the typical description:

"installation of (6) new antennas, (6) new RF modules (3) AHLOA¿s and (3) AHFIB¿s with RF jumpers, (2) airscale SM outdoor AMOB w/ (2) ASIA module, (4) ABIA modules, (1) ABIL and (1) ASIK, TMA¿s will be reuse. "

lilotimz translated as follows:

"AHLOA - B71 600 MHz + B12   dual band radio

AHFIB is a 4 port radio B2/25 + B4/66 again dual band

AMOB ASIA is BTS and radio box related accessories

ABIA, ABIL, and ASIK is related to ground equipment

Dual band radios are very new, released within the last 9 months.  Only really started seeing ATT, VZW, and TMO deploy them in recent months.  Vast majority of the time they stick to the 4 port uni band radios."

I believe that if the duo were deploying dual band radios, they these are likely ~5g capable.  lilotimz then said these T-Mobile radios are 4.9G.

This in my opinion shows that Sprint is further behind than we would like to admit.  Ideally all the equipment Sprint has been installing would be ~5g capable like the duo and now T-Mobile.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

I believe that if the duo were deploying dual band radios, they these are likely ~5g capable.  lilotimz then said these T-Mobile radios are 4.9G.

This in my opinion shows that Sprint is further behind than we would like to admit.  Ideally all the equipment Sprint has been installing would be ~5g capable like the duo and now T-Mobile.

I don't think NR will really come to PCS on Sprint as the vast majority of markets don't have more than 10 MHz of contiguous PCS spectrum. It's much more likely that all of Sprint's 2.5 GHz spectrum will get reframed to NR (merger or not) and 10-15 MHz of FDD LTE will remain on 1900 as fallback. According, I don't really think B25 NR radios are super important right now  

As for 800, I don't really know what the game plan will be there. DSS could help here, although I'm waiting to see how well various OEMs' implementations perform in the real world before making any judgements. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RAvirani said:

I don't think NR will really come to PCS on Sprint as the vast majority of markets don't have more than 10 MHz of contiguous PCS spectrum. It's much more likely that all of Sprint's 2.5 GHz spectrum will get reframed to NR (merger or not) and 10-15 MHz of FDD LTE will remain on 1900 as fallback. According, I don't really think B25 NR radios are super important right now  

As for 800, I don't really know what the game plan will be there. DSS could help here, although I'm waiting to see how well various OEMs' implementations perform in the real world before making any judgements. 

The real issue I believe for Sprint is the continued need to support CDMA limits their choices.  No doubt the 5G focus so far has been on Massive MIMO.

8 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

The real issue I believe for Sprint is the continued need to support CDMA limits their choices.  No doubt the 5G focus so far has been on Massive MIMO.

I see PCS CDMA mostly going away soon. With Verizon CDMA roaming going away at the end of this year and the nationwide VoLTE launch coming soon, they will likely thin PCS CDMA down to a single 1x carrier (for old CDMA-only voice devices) and run it in an LTE guard band. 

1x800 is likely here to stay for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if they require OEMs to manufacture custom radios in the next few years that support LTE/NR DSS and 1x800.

• Like 3

T-Mobile’s 5G network can’t yet top Verizon’s speed, but it has promising coverage

It’s not winning at speed, but for now, T-Mobile can at least claim that it’s faring a little better at coverage. The carrier’s map would have you believe it’s done an impressive job of blanketing sections of New York with 5G. My real-life experience didn’t quite match that. In sections of the Financial District of Manhattan near The Verge’s office, I’d see the 5G indicator but get typical LTE download speeds. On other streets where T-Mobile’s map glowed pink to indicate 5G coverage, the phone only displayed 4G when downloading content from Netflix or Prime Video.

I saw T-Mobile’s 5G nodes on top of many smaller buildings scattered around Manhattan. And it did pay off: the Samsung Galaxy S10 5G held on to 5G on the move noticeably better than it did on Verizon’s 5G network in Chicago. I didn’t feel as though I had to freeze in place whenever I found a 5G signal to get those speedy downloads. But I’m not sure how accurate their coverage map is...

PCMag's article goes way more in depth with the network experience.

Over a four-hour period, I ran 30 tests on T-Mobile's 5G network and another 57 on its 4G network. Speeds on T-Mobile's 5G network peaked at 502Mbps, and I saw a lot of 200-350Mbps results. That falls far short of the gigabit-plus results I've seen on AT&T and Verizon; it's much more like the mid-band speeds I saw in Dallas with Sprint. That makes sense when you remember that T-Mobile only has 100MHz of millimeter-wave spectrum in New York. 

On the Lower East Side of Manhattan, I was able to walk more than a mile without consistently losing millimeter-wave 5G signal. That's a really big deal. When I've tested Verizon's network in Chicago, it has been disconnected little two-block bubbles with big gaps between them. If I believe CellMapper.net, it took seven T-Mobile cell sites to cover my mile. Seeing where I got the relatively few dropouts on this walk, I'm estimating that each site had about a 600-foot radius, similar to what I saw with Verizon in Chicago. Compare that to Sprint in Dallas, which was able to cover an 0.6-mile radius with one mid-band cell site.

• Like 2

Well I tried Verizon,  I shouldn't of switched from sprint,  but tomorrow I will be turning in my phone and lte extender to Verizon tomorrow after I port my number to tmobile.  

• Like 1