Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Does a new radio typically accompany major os version updates? I wonder if we will get another radio with 4.5/5.0.

Yes. Just don't forget that both the D820 and D821 are capable of connecting to many different bands, and share the same software. So there could be a new radio, but it might not impact your personal situation at all because it only included tweaks that affect bands you don't happen to use.

-Mike

Yes. Just don't forget that both the D820 and D821 are capable of connecting to many different bands, and share the same software. So there could be a new radio, but it might not impact your personal situation at all because it only included tweaks that affect bands you don't happen to use.

-Mike

I understand that. I wonder if it's just too many variables to optimize to get the n5 to connect to every band optimally across carriers. Does anyone have insight in to this? When they are adjusting or releasing a modem are they adjusting physical voltages or tuning similar to tweaking clock speed on a processor. I assume it's not exactly the same, but it would make sense in my head that since radio performance seems to be variable across modem releases that it's just one big balancing act to get the radio to perform well on all the frequencies it's designed for.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Coming from .23 radio I'm seeing a minimal dBm drop (3-5) on band 25. I walked into my basement and got switched to band 26, something I never had been able to achieve on .23 before.

I know some band 41 spots that my wife's g2 connects to without problems, so I'll give them a try on my way to work tomorrow.

All of you guys convinced me to get my ass out of bed and download the factory image. I can't wait to test it myself(once titanium backup finishes :P).

Minutes to do and the signal looks a hair better on band 17 like I used to get a -103 in the house and now I see a -98 or so. Curious to see how it handles the shifts between band 4 and 17.

They locked out permissions on the debug app so my shortcut no longer works and dialer code doesn't work with my SIM type. Might have to do a shell script with root access to call it. No biggie. Weird part is they didn't update the apk for it so something else is blocking it.

They locked out permissions on the debug app so my shortcut no longer works and dialer code doesn't work with my SIM type. Might have to do a shell script with root access to call it. No biggie. Weird part is they didn't update the apk for it so something else is blocking it.

I flashed the .13 radio but won't have a chance to do the full upgrade for a few days. B25 is about 3-5 dB worse than the .15 radio and it drops back to 3G much quicker. It's debatable, but obviously Google/LG/Sprint has determined that this is the best overall configuration. Wonder if hanging on to fringe LTE might be the cause of some of us completely missing calls on occasion.

Do the system shortcuts still work in SignalCheck? Sounds like they should be broken now..

-Mike

So I was able to try an area I tried to use the .15 radio in with the new update. It didn't connect right away, so I just did a profile update and prl update for the same of having a new radio. In the middle of the prl update, my phone switched to LTE and my prl update hung, probably due to the switch. Well...

uploadfromtaptalk1401768600672.jpguploadfromtaptalk1401768600672.jpg

[emoji38]

uploadfromtaptalk1401768637824.jpg

• Like 1

Do the system shortcuts still work in SignalCheck? Sounds like they should be broken now..

-Mike

They were broken for me using the nexus 5 field test app, but your system shortcuts seemed to work.

Also the debug and data dialer codes worked, haven't tried any others.

• Like 1

Hey, now, I pulled it when I quoted him, then I posted it.

Alright, we need to put a stop to this.  You can "pull it" in private all you want.  But if you "pull it" when you quote someone in this thread and then post it, well, that is messed up.

AJ

• Like 2

Alright, we need to put a stop to this.  You can "pull it" in private all you want.  But if you "pull it" when you quote someone in this thread and then post it, well, that is messed up.

AJ

38d.png

I fastboot flashed boot, radio, and system from the factory image, and then re-flashed SuperSU 1.97 through TWRP, and wiped cache and Dalvik Cache.

I didn't expect a non-OTA-update.zip method to enable the Spark bands, but it looks like B26 and B41 are now enabled. I currently have no way to test whether I can connect to B41 yet, but I'm going up to LA for my cousin's wedding this weekend, so I should be able to test B41 up there. I've gotten B41 at my parent's house in LA a while ago with the .15 radio, so I hope I see good results up there.

iirc, those are the only three you need to flash to pretty much be completely upgraded without having wiped data, no?

Wow, after a weekend in the mountains, I wondered why the Nexus 5 thread had 159 new posts in it since I last checked on Friday morning. Wow. Talk about surprising. Excited to see the 4.4.3 update finally came.

• Like 3

iirc, those are the only three you need to flash to pretty much be completely upgraded without having wiped data, no?

pretty much. I was debating on waiting for a flashable zip, but I couldn't wait, plus I'm pretty comfortable using fastboot, so I decided to take the plunge.

So I have seen mixed reviews about this new .13 BaseBand. So I came to see the 1x/EVDO side of things saw an improvement, But the LTE side of things seem to have mixed results? Besides the Baseband, anything different with 4.4.3, besides possibly screwing up SCP?

i flashed;

bootloader

-reboot-bootloader

radio

-reboot-bootloader

boot.img

system.img

recovery.img (if you want to keep the stock recovery, or flash twrp etc)

erase cache

format cache

in case you want root *AND* stock recovery, you can do

fastboot boot twrpfile.img

to temporarily boot twrp, reboot sytem and let it re-root

Flashed the new .13 radio as well.  I was on .23 before, and didn't notice much of a difference between lte reception in the areas I frequent.  No b26 around me however.  I WAS able to get b41 for the first time though.  I'll probably spend a bit of time tomorrow playing around with the .15 radio and see if I can get that to work.

I flashed the .13 radio but won't have a chance to do the full upgrade for a few days. B25 is about 3-5 dB worse than the .15 radio and it drops back to 3G much quicker. It's debatable, but obviously Google/LG/Sprint has determined that this is the best overall configuration. Wonder if hanging on to fringe LTE might be the cause of some of us completely missing calls on occasion.

-Mike

debug/engineering :  works

Battery info:   works

Data/EPST:   works

Mobile Networks:   works

PRL update:    works

Radio info:    works

Wifi info:     works

Reset mobile connection crashed the first time waiting for SU access, but works now after wards!  No issues yet  :fingers:

• Like 1

debug/engineering : works

Battery info: works

Data/EPST: works

Mobile Networks: works

PRL update: works

Radio info: works

Wifi info: works

Reset mobile connection crashed the first time waiting for SU access, but works now after wards! No issues yet :fingers:

Thanks for the update.. clearly I am one step ahead of Google, hah! I've been testing the .13 radio on 4.4.2 tonight, the app seems fine. The reset function is finicky on many rooted devices if it doesn't get su access immediately; it's a glitch in the root library.

Seems like LTE reception with the .13 radio is comparable to .23, but (hopefully) with the added benefit of seamless Spark. I haven't connected to any B41 yet, but I don't know if the sites in my area that are supposed to be live by now are actually online yet. :fingers:

-Mike

• Like 2

Thanks for the update.. clearly I am one step ahead of Google, hah! I've been testing the .13 radio on 4.4.2 tonight, the app seems fine. The reset function is finicky on many rooted devices if it doesn't get su access immediately; it's a glitch in the root library.

Seems like LTE reception with the .13 radio is comparable to .23, but (hopefully) with the added benefit of seamless Spark. I haven't connected to any B41 yet, but I don't know if the sites in my area that are supposed to be live by now are actually online yet. :fingers:

-Mike

For me, it is better than .23, no doubt.  On .23 I would fall back to 3G all the time at home, on .13, I stick to 1 bar of LTE just like .15.

I also connect to band 26 now with .13 - something that wouldn't happen with .15.

I'll keep testing throughout today but I can't see why anyone wouldn't want this over .15.

-Mike

The debug/engineering one doesn't work, I haven't pulled the logcat yet to see what it is doing.  The Nexus field app was updated today and that one opens the LTE engineering screen just fine though.  My Quickshortcut stopped working so I figure I just need to do a root script on my home screen to fix it. 

Liking this radio a bit better.  The transition to and from B4 from 17 wasn't bad before but I see they've tweaked it a bit better. 

I don't like the new radio. No LTE at my desk at work now and I lost it completely when I got near a B41 site and it stayed gone until I toggled airplane mode in the parking lot at work.

• Like 1