Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I had the wrong time this morning and woke up an hour late!  I had two times listed on my N5 Time screen, it showed 8:05AM in big numbers and then 9:05AM (Local Time) in a smaller size font below that.  I figured out what caused it though.  My ASUS broadband router (RT-N66U) has a confusing check box in the "Administration > Setup" screen titled: "Manually set the daylight saving time."  I figured it was automatic otherwise. Turns out I needed to check the box and verify the start and end date for DST so I will be good to go in the fall.

It's frustrating that the N5 does not use the wireless carrier's network time only.  I could see many people having this problem as the vast majority of broadband routers get installed as stock and never fully configured by the end-user.

I thought I'd post this in case this can help others who had the wrong time on their N5's.

My N5 updated on its own right on time; I was in the car and noticed it moments after 2am. My 6:30am phone alarm went off as scheduled. I was not on Wi-Fi at 2am, but was when the alarm went off. Both settings to let the network set the clock and time zone on the N5 are enabled.

My wife was with me; I don't know exactly when the clock on her iPhone 5s updated, but it was correct in the morning. But, she swore her 6:00am alarm didn't go off. Good thing I had mine set, although she lost 30 minutes of time in front of the mirror doing whatever ladies do whenever they go somewhere! We both figured she must have shut it off and fell back asleep, even though she never does that and it typically wakes me up too. Now I wonder if it was a DST issue and would've buzzed at 7am if she left it enabled. We both have Sprint.

Kind of cool side note.. we were actually on a long overnight drive, using Google Maps on my N5 for navigation at the time. It showed the correct 4am ETA when we started the 4-hour trip at 11pm. I was impressed that it knew to factor in the time change.. in the fall I'm going to plot a short trip just before 2am to see if it will let me travel back in time.. ;)

-Mike

• Like 4

I had the wrong time this morning and woke up an hour late!  I had two times listed on my N5 Time screen, it showed 8:05AM in big numbers and then 9:05AM (Local Time) in a smaller size font below that.  I figured out what caused it though.  My ASUS broadband router (RT-N66U) has a confusing check box in the "Administration > Setup" screen titled: "Manually set the daylight saving time."  I figured it was automatic otherwise. Turns out I needed to check the box and verify the start and end date for DST so I will be good to go in the fall.

It's frustrating that the N5 does not use the wireless carrier's network time only.  I could see many people having this problem as the vast majority of broadband routers get installed as stock and never fully configured by the end-user.

I thought I'd post this in case this can help others who had the wrong time on their N5's.

I have the ASUS RT-N68U.  Mine updated correctly without doing anything to the time settings under administration. 

My observations about the time problems.  First, my N5 had no issues with the time.  It switched just fine to DST.  I don't know if the problems above are related to the N5, to Android, or to Sprint's incomplete upgrades but I've had two instances in the last 9 months or so where the network was sending my phones the wrong time zone. 

Last summer, the cell phone nearest my house would set the time zone for my Samsung Conquer and Motorola Photon smartphones to Mountain time even though I am in the Central time zone.  At that time Sprint said there was no problems with the network but the problem mysteriously went away the same day they did their investigation.  I did some extensive traveling through 3 different time zones and many states about that time and all other cell towers synced the correct time to my phones every time.

I frequently travel to a small town in New Mexico. Since Thanksgiving, the cell tower in that town resets my smart phones to Central time even though the area is in the Mountain time zone.  This has happened to the Conquer and the Photon, and now to my N5.  I use Ting for service and this time Sprint confirmed to them there was a known problem with the upgrades they were installing.

The interesting thing to me and maybe one of the gurus will have an answer is that the dumb phone on my account was not affected by this time problem, only my Android phones were affected.

DC

So my phone needed a reboot for the clock to show the correct time. I also needed a damn good excuse why I hadn't showered, eaten breakfast, or arrived to work on time today... Not thrilled. Anyone with a second handset on sprint notice a delay in updating the time or was this device specific?

device specific as far as i know. i had to re-enable automatic/pull from network date/time settings which i had not altered previously.  my n5 went an hour ahead 5 days before DST

Does your nexus 5 work fine with your airave? Mine randomly drops off the airave then picks it back up a few seconds later.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Mine does this as well

Anyone know how to use tasker to change the network type?  I can get it to work with LTE mode, but when i use 2G/3G then it says no service...thanks!

from XDA

Using GravityBox (and the Xposed framework) you can change mobile network modes. Root is required

Change mobile network mode networkType 0 = 2G/3G auto (3G preferred), 1 = 2G, 2 = 3G, 9 (or 10) = LTE

Code:
Send Intent [
Action: gravitybox.intent.action.CHANGE_NETWORK_TYPE
Cat: None
Mime Type:
Data:
Extra: networkType:1
Extra:
Package:
Class:
Target: Broadcast Receiver

Anyone know how to use tasker to change the network type?  I can get it to work with LTE mode, but when i use 2G/3G then it says no service...thanks!

from XDA

Using GravityBox (and the Xposed framework) you can change mobile network modes. Root is required

Change mobile network mode networkType 0 = 2G/3G auto (3G preferred), 1 = 2G, 2 = 3G, 9 (or 10) = LTE

Code:
Send Intent [

Action: gravitybox.intent.action.CHANGE_NETWORK_TYPE

Cat: None

Mime Type:

Data:

Extra: networkType:1

Extra:

Package:

Class:

Target: Broadcast Receiver

ok figured it out, awesome.

So I can use #4 for sitting on 2G/3G (so it uses 800mhz) and #8 at home where I can see LTE.  This way the phone isn't constantly switching between the 800mhz and LTE depending on how far into the concrete dungeon i am haha

0: WCDMA Preferred 

1: GSM only <-- This would be "2G" on GSM networks

2: WCDMA only <--WCDMA is "3G" on GSM networks. You may know it as HSPA

3: GSM auto (PRL)

4: CDMA auto (PRL)

5: CDMA only <-- This would be "2G" on CDMA networks

6: EvDo only <-- EvDo is "3G" on CDMA networks

7: GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)

8: LTE/CDMA auto (PRL)

9: LTE/GSM auto (PRL)

10: LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)

11: LTE only

12: "unknown"

Does your nexus 5 work fine with your airave? Mine randomly drops off the airave then picks it back up a few seconds later.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

No problems.  I am on .17 radio fwiw.

I just happened to check this forum/thread which I don't on a regular basis, but just to chime in real quick on the time issues reported here, though I'm not a Nexus 5 owner I can tell you its not specific to this model of phone at all.  There's something wonky that happens, not with every case/tower, but with many, where getting an LTE connection shifts the time by an hour.  And the odder thing is that though for me its usually pushed an hour back, I *have* seen on occasion where it actually shoves me an hour forward too.

The solution, for me at least (and again, I don't own a Nexus 5 nor have much experience with ICS-->forward Android versions on other phones to know if this is base Android or just my model in particular, which is a Moto Photon Q), was to go into Settings--->Date & Time, and uncheck 'Automatic time zone/Use network provided time zone' and then manually set my time zone properly.  At least, so far it seems to be the solution....I've not noticed a problem since I tried that about a month ago.

So I understand that on android you can set up more than one user account and have one for guests etc. I can't seem to find that on this phone. Is that feature still around? thanks! :)

This feature is now possible if you're rooted and have Xposed Framework installed. Just install the module, enable it within Xposed Framework, and reboot device.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2676516

A new Users menu will be added to your Settings menu. I've tested this and it works as it should.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

While at home and connected to the Airave, put the phone in CDMA mode.

yep in global or LTE mode I find it will drop CDMA to scan for LTE.

And only when on the airave?

orbif out of range ofbusable LTE. At my house its out of range of LTE, have an airave, and 1x800 is here, but my phone still connects to weak 1x1900