Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

I'm curious to see if they setup the Iphones with the 800 LTE set at low priority just like they have the unique Iphone 1x800 PRLs.

Do you know if the iPhone 5c and 5s PRL's are prioritized like the 5, with 800 voice lower than 1900 voice?

Do you know if the iPhone 5c and 5s PRL's are prioritized like the 5, with 800 voice lower than 1900 voice?

Someone named Karma hopes so...

;)

AJ

• Like 1

Yes, due to the DTV transition, Sprint is shifting from VHF to UHF.

;)

AJ

This channel shift confuses me. I though they only had enough spectrum for 1 voice and 1 lte carrier that wouldn't leave anywhere to move to.

Forced to pay $2.99 for Tapatalk :'(

I'm curious to see if they setup the Iphones with the 800 LTE set at low priority just like they have the unique Iphone 1x800 PRLs.

If my memory serves me right, didn't Robert say that his 2600 hotspot had a prioritization of 2600-1900-800 for LTE while in Denver? This basically makes the most sense. The iPhone should be the same less band 41

If my memory serves me right, didn't Robert say that his 2600 hotspot had a prioritization of 2600-1900-800 for LTE while in Denver? This basically makes the most sense. The iPhone should be the same less band 41

I'm pretty sure that he set it to be that way. Who knows if the iPhone will have that option once band 26 is widely deployed. Seems doubtful...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Us Apple/Sprint people can only hope.

Starting 2014 China Mobile will REQUIRE support of Band 41 - so either Apple will support it or they won't be on China Mobile.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 3

I'm a little confused... I know Verizon & AT&T's LTE network operates on the ~700 MHz band, but what about their voice?  Do they have 800 MHz or something else in that area?

In what area?  Regardless, VZW and AT&T hold no SMR 800 MHz spectrum.

AJ

I'm a little confused... I know Verizon & AT&T's LTE network operates on the ~700 MHz band, but what about their voice?  Do they have 800 MHz or something else in that area?

ATT and VZW have a mixture of 800 Celluar (the original cellular spectrum) and PCS in most markets. In some markets one of the two blocks of 800 cellular is owned by a regional or small carrier (USCC owns it in a few markets for example). In those markets either ATT or VZW ends up with a PCS only network, just like Sprint had before acquiring the 800 SMR spectrum and clearwire spectrum.  ATT and VZW also own some AWS spectrum, but that is pretty much exclusively for LTE also.

Their voice operates on 850 cellular

No, not in all markets.

AJ

Wow this is strange. I have always thought VZ was in the 800 range and didn't do anything in 1.9G   I have never known much about AT&T. Although they are getting better in Iowa from things I'm hearing from people that have them. I know they have crews doing towers about as heavy as Sprint around Central Iowa too, since they announced LTE soon.

Well this is the thing... I'm basically looking for a carrier that will reach certain parts (including a sub-level basement / garage) in the DC area cuz my dad needs it for work.  Sprint was hit or miss for him.  T-Mobile seems to be even more flaky.  I know both of them operate on higher frequencies, but I wasn't sure how VZW or AT&T were.  I know the only thing I can really do is have him try them, cuz there's a good possibility that none of them will be reliable where it's needed.  And all this also depends on tower placement, etc. for his unique location.  But I always thought that at least VZW's voice was on a lower frequency than the others.  So are the big 4 all on higher frequencies for voice?

Well this is the thing... I'm basically looking for a carrier that will reach certain parts (including a sub-level basement / garage) in the DC area cuz my dad needs it for work. Sprint was hit or miss for him. T-Mobile seems to be even more flaky. I know both of them operate on higher frequencies, but I wasn't sure how VZW or AT&T were. I know the only thing I can really do is have him try them, cuz there's a good possibility that none of them will be reliable where it's needed. And all this also depends on tower placement, etc. for his unique location. But I always thought that at least VZW's voice was on a lower frequency than the others. So are the big 4 all on higher frequencies for voice?

Sometimes the frequency doesnt matter if the sites are closer. In my area AT&T has 850mhz spectrum as does US Cellular. Verizon only has 1900 for voice.

I have a US Cellular device but many times I roam onto Verizon when I go into a metal building at work. This is because there is a verizon site less than half a mile from my workplace where others are much further away.

With the right site density a 1900mhz network can have better coverage than a more spaced out 850mhz network.

• Like 7

Sometimes the frequency doesnt matter if the sites are closer.

With the right site density a 1900mhz network can have better coverage than a more spaced out 850mhz network.

This times 1000.

The tower spacing and density matters a lot more than the frequency. Lower isn't always (or even usually) better. It's mainly site spacing / location / density / backhaul that matters most.

Verizon runs all the low-band cellular here, but AT&T's network is a lot better - the tighter density of their sites lets them offer better service even with higher band PCS-only spectrum. (Handoffs have more grace area with tighter sites, speeds are faster since there's more backhaul per square mile, ect).

AT&T and Nextel were roughly neck and neck for tower density here, until Nextel shut down earlier this summer. We had a lot of people hang on to those Nextel phones for a long time, specifically for that reason. (They had a killer combo of tight spacing and low band spectrum).

Now that they're gone, AT&T is king here. Verizon's a far second, and Sprint / T-Mobile are distant players, despite all of them owning identically-banded PCS spectrum, mainly because of the cell site spacing.

EDIT : This isn't just my opinion, AT&T won every category in the RootMetrics report this month, even while the network was fully-loaded with the largest international event we hold all year http://rootmetrics.com/compare-carriers/united-states/grand-rapids/grand-rapids-mi-september-2013/#combined

• Like 1

Could very well be a stupid question but.....I currently have an HTC one and am thinking about switching to iPhone 5c since the ONE has horrible signal since 4.3 update and before and wife's iPhone perfect most of the time. Now with the ONE I can connect to 1x800 voice quite often but the ONE desnt have lte band 26. IPhone 5c does....does that mean that if I can pick up 1x800 voice now that these tower locations with spit out lte band 26 when it is turned "on" or does more work need to be done to enable lte 800. My current 1900 mhz lte signal sucks unless you are a block or two away from it (at least from the HTC ONE)

Really my question is can I expect to see lte 800 from this tower in the very near future or is it a long way off or is there any deployement list of cities? I'm in Petaluma ca 94954 btw.

Idk what was going on today but I was getting more 1 MB down on 3G. Usually in my area I average around .30 down. I also got .7 up which isn't bad at all (for my use)

Your nearest tower was probably recently upgraded. On nv sites in my area, under optimal conditions, I can usually hit 2mbps/1mbps which is fantastic for 3G.

Could very well be a stupid question but.....I currently have an HTC one and am thinking about switching to iPhone 5c since the ONE has horrible signal since 4.3 update and before and wife's iPhone perfect most of the time. Now with the ONE I can connect to 1x800 voice quite often but the ONE desnt have lte band 26. IPhone 5c does....does that mean that if I can pick up 1x800 voice now that these tower locations with spit out lte band 26 when it is turned "on" or does more work need to be done to enable lte 800. My current 1900 mhz lte signal sucks unless you are a block or two away from it (at least from the HTC ONE)

Really my question is can I expect to see lte 800 from this tower in the very near future or is it a long way off or is there any deployement list of cities? I'm in Petaluma ca 94954 btw.

To my knowledge LTE on 800 won't take as long. But who knows