Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

That's really good considering Sprint was the last to be activated. It seems that they've skyrocketed past everyone else. Perhaps Sprint's eagerness to begin deploying small cells as part of NGN is part of the reason why Sprint's cooperation with TransitWireless has been more fruitful than the other 3 carriers. Maybe Sprint sees this as a pseudo testing bed for large scale DAS and small cell deployment. With over 4.3 Million riders in the subway every day, it's basically a little underground city.

• Like 2

Yep, I confirm it daily when I'm on the 7 or the F, E, M in Queens. I love how I can start a Youtube video at Court Square, and watch it almost all the way to Grand Central.

• Like 1

I didn't realize it was so carrier specific.  I thought that once the system was on, all participating carriers were good to go.  The 6 still doesn't have cell service (Verizon or Sprint) north of 42nd, but, TransitWireless WiFi is on, and you can use WiFi calling so I'm able to text.

I didn't realize it was so carrier specific.  I thought that once the system was on, all participating carriers were good to go.  The 6 still doesn't have cell service (Verizon or Sprint) north of 42nd, but, TransitWireless WiFi is on, and you can use WiFi calling so I'm able to text.

WiFi calling...

The system is technically always "on", but the carriers have to install their equipment in the various telco closets across the city.

• Like 1

Band priority is still messed up in Manhattan. I was sitting on a bench near 1 world trade. 1 bar of unusable B41, an airplane mode toggle locks me onto a 5 bar B26 with good speeds. 30 seconds later it's back to 1 bar of B41.. This is getting annoying, makes no sense why 1 bar of B41 is taking precedence over 5 bars of B26...

Band priority is still messed up in Manhattan. I was sitting on a bench near 1 world trade. 1 bar of unusable B41, an airplane mode toggle locks me onto a 5 bar B26 with good speeds. 30 seconds later it's back to 1 bar of B41.. This is getting annoying, makes no sense why 1 bar of B41 is taking precedence over 5 bars of B26...

Band 41 is prioritize over all other bands. Sounds like they need to find tune handoffs to other bands if band 41 is congested.

Sent from my LG-H790

After the new carriers come online, that will be the band you will most likely want to be on. Only a few weeks left.

Sprint service is live at 125th on the 4/5/6! Let's hope the entire Lex line north of 42nd is up. I'll find out when I get to 110th soon but was too excited to have service not to post.

Edit: it's live at 116th and 110th too...

Edit: it is B25, but it looks like Transit Wireless also has B26.

Edited by jaybiz81
  • Like 2

B25 LTE on Lexington Ave 6 train platforms 68th st, 77th st and 86th st. Also works in 86th st downstairs 4 & 5 train platforms.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Where do you see this information aside from Premier sponsors map? We need B26 and 1x800 everywhere in NYC. I live in Forest Hills Queens and the tower I used to connect to was on top of a hospital that went bankrupt 5 years ago. Since then the building has been abandoned but you can see Sprint towers on the roof but with no signal. I can barely hold a call for more than 5 minutes and I am not sure if Sprint will be relocating the towers at a different location (its been 5 years). At work, I have LTE towers right across the street and I can literally see the panels outside the office window. But the signal is too low to hold on to LTE because I am close to the 40th floor. B26 will be a blessing for people like me  :)

Hey wanted to give you an update if you're still in the area, the cell site was decommissioned and moved to a nearby building, so that area should improve significantly now.

• Like 2

Hey wanted to give you an update if you're still in the area, the cell site was decommissioned and moved to a nearby building, so that area should improve significantly now.

Thanks for the update!! My reception at home improved significantly since I upgraded to a tri-band phone. I get decent B41 signal and never drop a call. Forest Hills and Rego Park area has improved significantly in the past year or so. At work I connect to B26 inside my office and get usable 1-3mbps. Most of my problems are with overburdened B41 in midtown Manhattan where speeds fall below 1x level. And lack of any LTE on parts of LI, NJ and PA where I frequently visit my family and friends. Hoping that decommissioning of WiMax and NGN project will improve service throughout the tri-state area. Whenever I run speed tests on my brother's TMO, he almost always put Sprint to shame.

• Like 1

Hoping that decommissioning of WiMax and NGN project will improve service throughout the tri-state area. Whenever I run speed tests on my brother's TMO, he almost always put Sprint to shame.

Dont worry, Wimax is being shutdown in about a week (if things dont get sidetracked by this ridiculous lawsuit) and we fully expect a huge increase in performance from the extra carriers on Band 25 and 41.

• Like 1

No, initially just a second 5x5 PCS carrier.

Sent from my LG G4

I just want to make sure I'm getting this correctly. So the tower will balance everyone on 2 B25 carriers and 1 B26 carrier if it has it. So the top speeds will still be the same but each carrier will have less congestion? Does sprint plan on doing any B25-B25 carrier aggression and are there any phone compatible of doing that?

I just want to make sure I'm getting this correctly. So the tower will balance everyone on 2 B25 carriers and 1 B26 carrier if it has it. So the top speeds will still be the same but each carrier will have less congestion? Does sprint plan on doing any B25-B25 carrier aggression and are there any phone compatible of doing that?

I don't believe they are going to do so, at least not any time in the near future. It seems to be the trend that Sprint would rather wait until usage drops low enough on 3G to activate a 10x10 or if the spectrum is contiguous with PCS G, launch a 10x10 and move the EVDO and 1x carriers over a bit.

• Like 1

I don't think there are any phones that are capable of doing B25 or B26 CA.  Only B41.