Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Also, we are going to see a HUGE RANGE of speeds with 5G.  The maximum speeds is when you have a perfect signal and conditions on all streams with perfect backhaul conditions ON A SERVER THAT CAN HANDLE THE THRUPUT.  Perfect signal conditions on so many streams will be very rare in normal usage.  So we will see the gamut in the wild between 50Mbps-750Mbps.  Not to mention differences in vendors.

If you think Sprint's 5G inconsistency is something, check out the inconsistency at Verizon.  At least Sprint can get some consistent coverage going.  TwoDotFive has turned out to be low band for 5G (at least compared to the others).

Robert

• Like 4

Went back to the store today and they had the OnePlus on display. Its a nice phone and I'm really tempted to get it at $20 a month. Suprised they picked that store to sell it since none of the 5G phones there were connected to 5G. I know there are several 5G sites in that area too. I would really like to be able to test out the 5G network. 

I just ordered a SIM for Altice Mobile but since I'm based in Boston right now, it's getting delivered to my home in New York and then I'm getting it mailed to me so I won't be able to test it until next week most likely. The deal was just too good to pass up. Unlimited everything and no deprioritization for $20/month + taxes and fees along with access to both Sprint and AT&T's network sounds too good to be true. 

Just now, Paynefanbro said:

I just ordered a SIM for Altice Mobile but since I'm based in Boston right now, it's getting delivered to my home in New York and then I'm getting it mailed to me so I won't be able to test it until next week most likely. The deal was just too good to pass up. Unlimited everything and no deprioritization for $20/month + taxes and fees along with access to both Sprint and AT&T's network sounds too good to be true. 

I plan on switching over my second phone number to Altice Mobile sometime this weekend. Im currently using a cheap Tello plan for my second number. Really curious how the switching between Sprint and AT&T will be and what type of Roaming on Sprint there is. Also wondering if it will try to connect to Optimum hotspots before it uses a mobile network for data.

• Like 2

Looks like Altice doesn't take unlocked S10's yet. My device wouldn't activate at all. Interestingly there are no VoLTE settings but there are WiFi Calling options in the dialer menu. I'm pretty sure that Altice Mobile is an LTE only MVNO.

u2RangQ.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Looks like Altice doesn't take unlocked S10's yet. My device wouldn't activate at all. Interestingly there are no VoLTE settings but there are WiFi Calling options in the dialer menu. I'm pretty sure that Altice Mobile is an LTE only MVNO.

u2RangQ.jpg

it wont accept my Sprint branded Galaxy S10 thats unlocked. BYOD doesn't recognize the IMEI #

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like 3rd carrier is finally spreading in the northern part of the Bronx. Hit nearly 200mbs, think they might have settled for a smaller carrier size for the 3rd carrier.
Anyone have NSG to check?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

So randomly in room, decided to run a speed test and got over 60 down at night on Friday thought it weird, ran speed test window open got 80 down, pretty nice as well. Went to check signal check and see a new carrier on the same PCI, 41148. 3 carrier in the bx in the west 200s... That's new!

A week back I was actually able to access voice over LTE on my pixel 2XL but I lost that ability sometime over the past weekend. 

Using Googlefi at the moment. Not running directly over through Sprint.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, transitwatch889 said:

So randomly in room, decided to run a speed test and got over 60 down at night on Friday thought it weird, ran speed test window open got 80 down, pretty nice as well. Went to check signal check and see a new carrier on the same PCI, 41148. 3 carrier in the bx in the west 200s... That's new!

A week back I was actually able to access voice over LTE on my pixel 2XL but I lost that ability sometime over the past weekend. 

Using Googlefi at the moment. Not running directly over through Sprint.

Yup! thats the third carrier! FINALLY! What area are you in?

8 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Yup! thats the third carrier! FINALLY! What area are you in?

Kingsbridge, Riverdale plaza mall area. 

To add it's on multiple towers in the area not just mine. Saw it in the menu for signal check.

Edited by transitwatch889
  • Like 1

In addendum noticing more mini macros in the area are online. My main tower after other in the vicinity also received an update to 10*10 band 25 now as well. Gonna take a walk in hood to check it out .

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So after about what it's been a week. Not all towers in the area have three carriers but definitely a lot more mini macros and small cells are online. And as I was coming up to West Chester today in Port Chester, rye area they have three carriers online for band 41 as well. Got my first speed test above 200 ever up this way. Seems like they are definitely trending towards capacity. With Google fi, I switch over to Sprint network because T-Mobile is tragically slow.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So I made the switch back to Sprint after leaving for Verizon 3 years ago. 

I must say I am quite happy with the service and I am loving VoLTE.

It has been very reliable and speeds are great too. 

(Unlocked iPhone XS)

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RedSpark said:

I'm glad that they did because almost anyone who spends any time in Long Island can attest to the speed and coverage improvements since the announcement of the deal with Altice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

I've seen a few people hit over 600mbs, but my personal best is 590mbs. But yeah, backhaul could be one of the limiting factors.

That is certainly fast. However, it’s not heavily loaded yet. When Verizon is showing speeds of 1-2 Gbps, and once they place more mmwave sites which they have the money to do, Sprint will have to turn things up speedwise.

Backhaul limitations is a reflection of budget limitations. Perhaps Sprint doesn’t want to have really high peak speeds lest it impact the merger?