Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Here is another list that I found today:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7242719,-73.993643,21z another M-MIMO confirmed lived 284 Mott Street, New York, NY 10012, is on the water tower.

189 Orchard Street, New York, NY 10002

• Like 1

I thought the small cells in NYC where some of the nicest/ cleanest setups already.

Edit: I figured out where this is on Roosevelt Island. Going to try to get there this weekend and test out the site.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've been trying to track down all the Sprint sites in Astoria Queens to figure out which one I connect to in my apartment and see if I can spot anymore M-MIMO. Everytime I visit a Sprint or Clear site from the Maps on here I  enter the cross streets or address in SCP. After entering all the sites in the area with SCP, my home site still isn't noted in SCP.  After walking around the neighborhood I still can't figure out what site I'm connected to.

I am correct to say that SCP saves the note based on the sites PCI? if that's the case I'm connecting to site which PCI is 303. I think I might have spot the site but it just seems way to close to othersites and its not on any of the maps on here. It could have been added after or during Network Vision.

Anyone have any advice on how to track this down?

20 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

I am correct to say that SCP saves the note based on the sites PCI? if that's the case I'm connecting to site which PCI is 303. I think I might have spot the site but it just seems way to close to othersites and its not on any of the maps on here. It could have been added after or during Network Vision.

SCP take notes based on a sites GCI. I'd ask in the SCP thread if you have such troubles imo. 

Like lilotimz said it is gci and plmn based. Specifically the first 6 of the GCI then the note is passed to along to each sector as it connects.

Throw your logs in to a google fusion map then add a filter for gci. That is how I go through sites. You will be able to see clusters from the sites. 

I've been trying to track down all the Sprint sites in Astoria Queens to figure out which one I connect to in my apartment and see if I can spot anymore M-MIMO. Everytime I visit a Sprint or Clear site from the Maps on here I  enter the cross streets or address in SCP. After entering all the sites in the area with SCP, my home site still isn't noted in SCP.  After walking around the neighborhood I still can't figure out what site I'm connected to.

In addition to Signal Check, try Cellmapper. It will try to calculate where a site is based on data points that it logs every second. Keep it running and walk around your neighborhood. Run it while you're out and about. Beware it will drain your battery because of the GPS (it also might stop logging if you don't exempt it from battery optimization). But it should give you an estimate. It does take a few days for your data to show up on the map, so be patient. That's the easiest option.

Another option is to use Signal Detector. The apk is on a thread here somewhere. It's like Cellmapper in that it logs data points every second or so, but it outputs to a text file that you can open in Excel or import into Google Fusion Tables. The latter will let you map where you see each GCI and more or less manually calculate what Cellmapper does. That being said, sometimes you can use your knowledge of geography/the neighborhood and intuition to get a better estimate for where the site is than Cellmapper can.

As others have said, the first 6 characters of the GCI (in hex) identify the site. The last 2 denote the sector+band/carrier combination.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, mirskyc said:

1) Make certain you walk completely around the site.  You may have high capacity sites that have two GCIs per band.

2) Which band is your PCI using?  If it is Band 41, then it may be from small cells, Magic Boxes, or Airaves.  These are often easiest to detect while indoors.  15 minutes wait is sometimes required.  Best to disable CA to find them.  Small cells come in many shapes and sizes. Small cells do have other bands butthey are quite rare.  Outdoor DAS, which often looks like small cells, would give you signal, but be hard to pin down.  Samll cells often have the nasty habit of changing PCIs each time another small cell is added to your market or area.

3) You need to cover another layer of sites further out.  Cell site signals are like a three bladed propeller, thus it takes many sites to give you good coverage.

I didn't have location logging turned on for SCP so I only have the GCI's and the name I put for each site. I'll have to walk around again. At this point I have a feeling its a high capacity site.

I didn't have location logging turned on for SCP so I only have the GCI's and the name I put for each site. I'll have to walk around again. At this point I have a feeling its a high capacity site.
Usually high capacity sites have a sequential GCI. So for example, one will be 0A6592 and the other 0A6593. But that doesn't necessarily mean high capacity either, since GCIs are often clustered geographically. If they aren't sequential though, there's a pretty good chance those two don't belong to a high capacity site together.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

M-MIMO in Herold Square on top of H&M building? 97a6df8a2842ce36d511f3ec327fbff7.jpg

Yes

54 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

M-MIMO in Herold Square on top of H&M building? 97a6df8a2842ce36d511f3ec327fbff7.jpg

Been meaning to post some that I confirmed are on air..

162nd grand concourse

157th street Gerard ave.

151th Grand concourse

150th Amsterdam ave

55st and 9th ave

47th St ave

34th and 9th Ave

58th and lex

47th and lex

33rd St and Madison

I have another 12 but I need to confirm in person again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nexgencpu said:

Been meaning to post some that I confirmed are on air..

162nd grand concourse 161st St?

157th street Gerard ave. 158th St?

151th Grand concourse two sites in the area there 

150th Amsterdam ave 

55st and 9th ave two sites near by on 57th and 53rd

47th St ave missing details

34th and 9th Ave

58th and lex is this the site on 55th and lex I already shared?

47th and lex

33rd St and Madison - This is the site on 32nd above Fields good chicken that covers my office

I have another 12 but I need to confirm in person again.

I made some notes above. This is based on the maps in the premier section. If you want to send me the site IDs in the PMs I'll add them to my map

2 hours ago, mirskyc said:

I made some notes above. This is based on the maps in the premier section. If you want to send me the site IDs in the PMs I'll add them to my map

Auto-correct from my phone did a number on my post..

162nd grand concourse 161st St? This is on 162nd st, I never saw site on 161.

157th street Gerard ave. 158th St? YUP just different sector most likely.

151th Grand concourse two sites in the area there  Probably same site, but different sector.

150th ST Amsterdam ave 

55st and 9th ave two sites near by on 57th and 53rd 55th is a different one.

47th St ave missing details 9th Ave.

34th and 9th Ave

58th and lex is this the site on 55th and lex I already shared? Most likely.

47th and lex.

33rd St and Madison - This is the site on 32nd above Fields good chicken that covers my office YUP Most likely different sector.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mirskyc said:

https://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/new-york-city-and-tri-state-area/2019/1H

Sprint improved in every category. Not enough to up there ranking. The upload must be effecting the Network speed category. 

My prediction has been that rootmetrics will adjust the upload/download ration used for the ranks to the typical user needs (like PCmag.com)  once 5G becomes more available with other carriers.

On 5/19/2019 at 10:39 PM, dkyeager said:

My prediction has been that rootmetrics will adjust the upload/download ration used for the ranks to the typical user needs (like PCmag.com)  once 5G becomes more available with other carriers.

Is Sprint planning to use 5G for both download and upload?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Verizon is using 5G for download but LTE for upload.

52 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Is Sprint planning to use 5G for both download and upload?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Verizon is using 5G for download but LTE for upload.

I did see that report on Verizon using 4g LTE at a lower frequency for phone upload.  Many of us wish b25 was used for upload with b41 for download. CA b25+41+41+41+41 or whatever.  With 5g's higher channel bandwidth and speed, it should not be as much of an issue. 5NR upload at 40MHz should be 4x, 60MHz should be 6x, 100MHz should be 10x. Of course the real world may differ.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dkyeager said:

I did see that report on Verizon using 4g LTE at a lower frequency for phone upload.  Many of us wish b25 was used for upload with b41 for download. CA b25+41+41+41+41 or whatever.  With 5g's higher channel bandwidth and speed, it should not be as much of an issue. 5NR upload at 40MHz should be 4x, 60MHz should be 6x, 100MHz should be 10x. Of course the real world may differ.

Its clear that the device side back to the site is mostly the issue. I think it says a lot that Big Red decided to only make MM WAVE transmit one way for now... 

• Like 2

Spotted another M-MIMO site in Astoria this morning. Still wasn't active and was connecting to neighboring M-MIMO cell.. Explains why my speeds were slower yesterday. Speeds this location were 75Mbps to 125Mbps at all times of the day. Really hope the old 8T8R equipment get reused in neighboring markets that lack B41. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

Went to Yankee game today and finally had a chance to enjoy M-MIMO in a huge crowded environment..

bRC1THb.jpg19cempm.jpg

I think it connected the pico cell second carrier of 15 MHz bandwidth due similarity with same EARFCN 40142 in financial district.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RaigekiNYC said:

I think it connected the pico cell second carrier of 15 MHz bandwidth due similarity with same EARFCN 40142 in financial district.

Oh wow, didn't realize I had connected to that carrier. What's more interesting is that that area is broadcasting the typical 3 other carriers so this would be a fourth. 

Thanks for the heads up 👍 I will investigate further.