Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

10 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

My first real 5G speed test on T-Mobile. I got this on the Lower East Side while connected to -112dbm of mmWave.

The screenshot isn’t showing up

n71 in Queens on a super strong signal. The site was pretty much right above me. 10MHz n71 + 20MHz B66 + 10MHz B2

Surprisingly didn't do EN-DC with B71. If it did, speeds probably would have easily hit near 350Mbps.J8WBZDF.jpgfZhogU5.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

n71 in Queens on a super strong signal. The site was pretty much right above me. 10MHz n71 + 20MHz B66 + 10MHz B2

Surprisingly didn't do EN-DC with B71. If it did, speeds probably would have easily hit near 350Mbps.

I find it interesting that your network comes up as TMobile on speed test. I'm assuming that's the difference between Sprint branded one vs unlocked one. No proxy.

42 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

I find it interesting that your network comes up as TMobile on speed test. I'm assuming that's the difference between Sprint branded one vs unlocked one. No proxy.

Nope, I'm actually on T-Mobile. I switched my primary line over the day that everyone's S20s switched over to T-Mobile's network.

I'm paying the same price as I was on Sprint and because I'm using an unlocked device, I wouldn't get access to n260/n261 or n71 until Samsung updated my device at some unknown time in the future so I just bit the bullet. You can tell because my 5G logo is a different font from the Sprint 5G logo.

I still have a Note 10 line on Sprint so I can track Sprint's network. 

36 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

Nope, I'm actually on T-Mobile. I switched my primary line over the day that everyone's S20s switched over to T-Mobile's network.

I'm paying the same price as I was on Sprint and because I'm using an unlocked device, I wouldn't get access to n260/n261 or n71 until Samsung updated my device at some unknown time in the future so I just bit the bullet. You can tell because my 5G logo is a different font from the Sprint 5G logo.

I still have a Note 10 line on Sprint so I can track Sprint's network. 

Ah ok. Makes sense, so can you gain access to b41 at all disabling TMobile bands?

9 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Ah ok. Makes sense, so can you gain access to b41 at all disabling TMobile bands?

Sadly, no. There's no roaming on Sprint for T-Mobile customers. That's one of the first things I tested when I switched.

26 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

Sadly, no. There's no roaming on Sprint for T-Mobile customers. That's one of the first things I tested when I switched.

That's a big loss, unfortunately TMobile is pretty weak around my way.

So I took a walk around my neighborhood yesterday. And did some speedruns of the street level performance and I will say that I came across really impressed. With the addition of the higher band Spectrum besides the low band I can see where this is going to go. Got close about 300 down in one section, low was of 15 down so it definitely  ranges. 

1 hour ago, transitwatch889 said:

So I took a walk around my neighborhood yesterday. And did some speedruns of the street level performance and I will say that I came across really impressed. With the addition of the higher band Spectrum besides the low band I can see where this is going to go. Got close about 300 down in one section, low was of 15 down so it definitely  ranges. 

I wish I could could say the same, but hopefully once they deploy n41 it would fill the voids I've found(two spots with sub .03mb). On a positive note tho I did hit 300mb/50mb in midtown east(Sprint was around 150mb in that area) Bottom line, throw in that 40mhz that was lost from 2.5 and we are back in business.

One of the things that I've noticed about T-Mobile's network is the inconsistency in which bands are available at their sites. I can't speak for the other boroughs because I spend most of my time in Brooklyn and Manhattan but in Brooklyn, Sprint tri-banded every single one of their legacy sites and pretty much every legacy Clear site had at least been upgraded to 8T8R Band 41 antennas.

On T-Mobile it's largely a toss up on what bands you'll encounter at each site. The only guarantee is Band 4/66. I've come across sites that are B66/B2 only, B66/B2/B12, B66/B12/B71, B2/B12/B66/B71 and everything in between. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

One of the things that I've noticed about T-Mobile's network is the inconsistency in which bands are available at their sites. I can't speak for the other boroughs because I spend most of my time in Brooklyn and Manhattan but in Brooklyn, Sprint tri-banded every single one of their legacy sites and pretty much every legacy Clear site had at least been upgraded to 8T8R Band 41 antennas.

On T-Mobile it's largely a toss up on what bands you'll encounter at each site. The only guarantee is Band 4/66. I've come across sites that are B66/B2 only, B66/B2/B12, B66/B12/B71, B2/B12/B66/B71 and everything in between. 

In my case, the two locations that were slow used B12 as PCC. One positive note, at my sister's apt, speeds are quite a bit faster than Sprint. Solid 5G signal with speeds over 20mbs where as Sprint barely hit 1mb.

Funny thing tho, shes on tmobile using an iPhone 11 and she barely can hit .20mbs and drops calls quite often.

Just wanted to add that this is 40mhz of 4 Layer N41. It is bittersweet seeing T-Mobile deploy what should have been live for us well over a year ago.

Markets with 60Mhz of NR should see speeds close to 1gbps and more. 

EXRmPCKXgAUD07-?format=jpg&name=large 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 1:43 PM, Paynefanbro said:

I've done quite a bit of mapping of T-Mobile's network on Cellmapper in the past week. You can see that a lot of the sites I hit are actually missing bands.

7sSZukt.png

I actually get more info out of your map than I do from the official Ookla 5G Map. The city that never sleeps seems knocked out cold. 

large.1659154328_Ookla5G-NYC.PNG

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, twospirits said:

I actually get more info out of your map than I do from the official Ookla 5G Map. The city that never sleeps seems knocked out cold. 

Until we get some new T-Mobile maps on this site, Cellmapper is going to be my source for tracking T-Mobile sites. It reminds me of Sprint's early days when I used to run Sensorly 24/7. The confirmed sites on the map are spot on here. 

• Like 2

Until we get some new T-Mobile maps on this site, Cellmapper is going to be my source for tracking T-Mobile sites. It reminds me of Sprint's early days when I used to run Sensorly 24/7. The confirmed sites on the map are spot on here. 
T-mobile has a lot of cellmapper users. I'd say it's the most mapped carrier in the US. Sprint is #2. You really only need a few active people in an area to end up mapping it pretty well.

I have it configured to automatically launch and begin mapping when I connect to my car's Bluetooth. Then it exits when Bluetooth disconnects. Cellmapper has built in Intents for a graceful exit that you can use with Tasker.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ingenium said:

I have it configured to automatically launch and begin mapping when I connect to my car's Bluetooth. Then it exits when Bluetooth disconnects. Cellmapper has built in Intents for a graceful exit that you can use with Tasker.

hmmm, I like that idea. 

hmmm, I like that idea. 

It works well. I also change cellmapper to log a data point every second instead of every 3 seconds (default), and I exempt it from battery optimization.

For the Tasker Bluetooth exit task, have it run the following command to exit cellmapper:

am broadcast -a "exitAppIntent" -n "cellmapper.net.cellmapper/.MyBroadcastReceiver

• Like 1

So I went n41 hunting and unfortunately it did not go well. Connected to zero n41, drove from 34st west to east then crossed 42nd St from east to west and up 8th Ave from 42nd St to 109st. Not a blip of 41. Mainly connected to n71 and other usual bands.

On a positive note, I did connect to mmwave between 42nd and 72nd St on and off, unfortunately not a continuous connection. Speeds hovered between 100 and 270mbs.

Wonder if it's because I'm on a Sprint phone, would be pretty ironic if Sprint users were blocked from using 2.5

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Went up to Westchester and Bedford NY, totally surprised.

In parts of Westchester, phone would drop signal then eventually would Roam on Sprint(took forever to finally make the switch) then in Bedford NY it was worse! No signal on either carrier.

Another thing I gotta say, VoLTE is definitely less reliable than Sprint, sometimes it just freeze after initiating a call and others just go blank mid-call. At first I was thinking maybe it's proxy issue going thru Sprint but I noticed it on other TMobile direct phones in similar spots. 

Was really hoping TMobile would at least fill in some of Sprint's weak spots around my way, but so far, my experience has been subpar.

Btw, Happy mother's day!

• Like 3