Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

3 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

40 MHz NR + 3x20 MHz LTE at 4x4 MIMO can provide downlink speeds in excess of 1 Gbps. Backhaul is the bottleneck. 

Thanks.

Flip of a switch or a software push to increase it? Hopefully new lines don’t have to be run.

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

That is certainly fast. However, it’s not heavily loaded yet. When Verizon is showing speeds of 1-2 Gbps, and once they place more mmwave sites which they have the money to do, Sprint will have to turn things up speedwise.

Backhaul limitations is a reflection of budget limitations. Perhaps Sprint doesn’t want to have really high peak speeds lest it impact the merger?

To Sprint's credit, they have almost blanketed all locations that have enough spectrum for 5G (keep in mind it's 40mhz of NR in NYC) Even indoors Its performimg quite admirably! Verizon on the other hand will take many years to come even close to the coverage Sprint has available today. Shame it's all overshadowed by the rediculous merger fiasco. Regardless, I'm enjoying the service till the wheels fall off! 🤪

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

That is certainly fast. However, it’s not heavily loaded yet. When Verizon is showing speeds of 1-2 Gbps, and once they place more mmwave sites which they have the money to do, Sprint will have to turn things up speedwise.

Backhaul limitations is a reflection of budget limitations. Perhaps Sprint doesn’t want to have really high peak speeds lest it impact the merger?

Backhaul comes out of operating budgets, which are never as sexy as capital budgets for new tower equipment.  More backhaul would directly affected the P&L. 

Sprint has the low cost customers, T-Mobile has the value and trendy customers.  AT&T and Verizon have customers looking for the most reliability.   AT&T previously had better international options while Verizon was the safe choice.  Then of course you have customers that actually look at who has the best service in places that they need it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else noticed a massive slow down of LTE specifically on MIMO site after 5G was turned on. There are two sites in Astoria Queens thats i can get over 10Mbps no matter the time of day. Upload speeds are unaffected at around 10 to 15 Mbps. Speed test have been done when in view of the tower as well. I wonder if its a backhaul issue either Fibre or microwave since the 2 sites are really close to each other. 

8 hours ago, mirskyc said:

Has anyone else noticed a massive slow down of LTE specifically on MIMO site after 5G was turned on. There are two sites in Astoria Queens thats i can get over 10Mbps no matter the time of day. Upload speeds are unaffected at around 10 to 15 Mbps. Speed test have been done when in view of the tower as well. I wonder if its a backhaul issue either Fibre or microwave since the 2 sites are really close to each other. 

Can't say I've experienced that at all. In fact it's been kind of the opposite for me. Throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn I've been seeing some of the fastest speeds yet. I'm regularly getting over 150 Mbps on a full signal. A few days before New Year's I was inside a bar on the Upper West Side with some friends and getting 280 Mbps.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/7/2020 at 2:53 PM, mirskyc said:

It's been the opposite for me as well. Been finding that Sprint is going back and adding more capacity on a few sites where they are spectrum limited (north of 170st in the Bronx and beyond.)

On 1/7/2020 at 11:14 PM, Paynefanbro said:

Can't say I've experienced that at all. In fact it's been kind of the opposite for me. Throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn I've been seeing some of the fastest speeds yet. I'm regularly getting over 150 Mbps on a full signal. A few days before New Year's I was inside a bar on the Upper West Side with some friends and getting 280 Mbps.

A. I need your life. And B. I need those speeds. I love the A but, first things first.

• Love 1

Why are data speeds slow in the Bronx and around some parts of the FDR?

I would think with some parts of NYC lit up with 5G, that Massive Mimo would helo increase speeds. Lately some areas of the FDR are getting really slow, I can’t even load Google Maps.

16 hours ago, Wfmets45 said:

Why are data speeds slow in the Bronx and around some parts of the FDR?

I would think with some parts of NYC lit up with 5G, that Massive Mimo would helo increase speeds. Lately some areas of the FDR are getting really slow, I can’t even load Google Maps.

They just recently lit up the smaller third carrier due to spectrum limitations. It's only 10mhz vs the usual 20. So nothing north of 170th street sees either 5G or 60mhz of LTE. But on the bright side that extra 10mhz is definitely helping and I also noticed more network optimization. 

Best thing to do is report any place where you notice any slow speeds, since the network has been working pretty well for the most part, they tend to these minor pockets faster than usual.

On 1/14/2020 at 1:02 PM, nexgencpu said:

They just recently lit up the smaller third carrier due to spectrum limitations. It's only 10mhz vs the usual 20. So nothing north of 170th street sees either 5G or 60mhz of LTE. But on the bright side that extra 10mhz is definitely helping and I also noticed more network optimization. 

Best thing to do is report any place where you notice any slow speeds, since the network has been working pretty well for the most part, they tend to these minor pockets faster than usual.

Does Sprint really look into the network feedback comments? I’ve posted a few feedback comments through the app in regards to the network in the last week.

11 minutes ago, Wfmets45 said:

Does Sprint really look into the network feedback comments? I’ve posted a few feedback comments through the app in regards to the network in the last week.

100% they do! Sometimes they tend to the issues quickly, other times the solution is not that straight forward or it's low priority. I've had pretty good success with it.

What would have been nice, is to get some sort of confirmation or update that they worked on the issue rather than find out weeks or even months later that they fixed it and you had no idea it's even been looked at.

Bottom line, report it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2020 at 9:52 AM, nexgencpu said:

100% they do! Sometimes they tend to the issues quickly, other times the solution is not that straight forward or it's low priority. I've had pretty good success with it.

What would have been nice, is to get some sort of confirmation or update that they worked on the issue rather than find out weeks or even months later that they fixed it and you had no idea it's even been looked at.

Bottom line, report it!

I’ve seen improvements in the Bronx these past two weeks and in parts of Brooklyn where I had made the network report. Glad to know that Sprint really does look into these and fixes them quickly.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JonnygATL said:

100% I know they have responded well here in Atlanta. Never feel like your voice doesn't matter. That's tantamount to not voting!! If everyone figured the same and didn't report, nothing would get done, I assure you!

I've filed hundreds (maybe even 1000+) of detailed reports over two years and they've done exactly nothing. If you live in a place where they make money then they'll fix your issues. If you live in an area where they don't make any money or make very little money (where I live, where mum lives), nothing will ever happen no matter what you do. So it depends on where you are. 

43 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

I've filed hundreds (maybe even 1000+) of detailed reports over two years and they've done exactly nothing. If you live in a place where they make money then they'll fix your issues. If you live in an area where they don't make any money or make very little money (where I live, where mum lives), nothing will ever happen no matter what you do. So it depends on where you are. 

It's not that simple. It depends what the issue is. In places where they are not spectrum or density constrained they can adjust antenna tilt or optimize band threshold, or even fix downed sites. 

But if your issue is coverage or capacity limation related, there isn't much they can do. Regardless, you should always report issues, because they do indeed go through the reports and try to address issues if and when it's possible.

On 2/5/2020 at 9:59 PM, Brad The Beast said:

I wonder if it's based on unique user reports versus just reports in general? I'd be curious to view those metrics.  It probably is highly situation/site specific. How could it not be? Either way I'll always speak up and believe in the power of my voice in all arenas in life. 

Here are 3 speed test the same day at different M-MIMO sites.

1. 30th Ave Station in Astoria at 8:30am
2. Broadway station in Astoria at 6:30Pm
3. 5th Ave and 34th St. Outside Empire state building. At 6:00pm

What could cause the 2nd site to perform so poorly. If it was congestion wouldn't the upload be much slower. Been having these slow speeds for a few months now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

What could cause the 2nd site to perform so poorly. If it was congestion wouldn't the upload be much slower. Been having these slow speeds for a few months now.

Not sure what happened to the screenshots

465080819294ba5f0e20e170ec8ce15c.jpg65cfc230441833d86582a21138603206.jpg08dcd60d4b6a109e52880228061e07ab.jpg

22 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

Not sure what happened to the screenshots

465080819294ba5f0e20e170ec8ce15c.jpg65cfc230441833d86582a21138603206.jpg08dcd60d4b6a109e52880228061e07ab.jpg

Possibly you were on B25 for the second site? That seems low but in the ballpark of what I regularly get when I end up connect to B25 and am not in perfect conditions. 

1 hour ago, mirskyc said:

Maybe backhaul or just congested. Does it perform the same at all times? 

26 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Maybe backhaul or just congested. Does it perform the same at all times? 

I haven't tried between 10pm and 7am in a long time but all other hours of the day it's about the same as the screenshot. 

You can see in the screenshot that when the test starts its always higher and then slows down a lot. at the start it usually peaks at around 30Mpbs