Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

2 hours ago, sunmybun said:

oops i meant that you can but its not worth it because of streaming

It just depends on your situation. If you never really leave cities or main roads where coverage is pretty good then there is really no reason to TNX for SA 5g.

If you frequent a place at edge of coverage like I do it may be worth it for SA. 

the problem is our plan should not change because of the merger and it does with TNX. When TNX becomes mandatory we have a right to complain about this and I hope everyone here with Everything Data does.

I hate to be pessimistic, but good luck fighting for a nearly decade old plan put together by a company that no longer exists. Just going to have to prepare for the inevitable...you're going to lose that plan eventually

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, cyclone said:

I hate to be pessimistic, but good luck fighting for a nearly decade old plan put together by a company that no longer exists. Just going to have to prepare for the inevitable...you're going to lose that plan eventually

I know it’s a long shot, but according to the merger terms it should of been honored as is. I would be happy with 1080 streaming compared to no throttle currently. Going from no throttle at all to 480 is ridiculous.

• Like 3

Are there network reset codes for TNX (Tmobile) like there was for Sprint (##72786#)??

One of my lines (S21 5G) in the St. Louis area is dropping calls after 3 mins very consistently. It appears to happen on WiFi-calling and on TMO network. We're all on TNX for my 5 lines. Anyone have any thoughts?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cardsfan96 said:

It just depends on your situation. If you never really leave cities or main roads where coverage is pretty good then there is really no reason to TNX for SA 5g.

If you frequent a place at edge of coverage like I do it may be worth it for SA. 

the problem is our plan should not change because of the merger and it does with TNX. When TNX becomes mandatory we have a right to complain about this and I hope everyone here with Everything Data does.

I know people keep saying that the merger terms say that because it seems logical that they should have, but there is no such commitment in my opinion.

The commitment was to offer plans of equal or better value than plans *currently* being offered at the time of the merger.  That commitment is entirely satisfied by the "Exception plans" and nothing more is there in my opinion.

Edited by comintel
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, comintel said:

I know people keep saying that the merger terms say that because it seems logical that they should have, but there is no such commitment in my opinion.

The commitment was to offer plans of equal or better value than plans *currently* being offered at the time of the merger.  That commitment is entirely satisfied by the "Exception plans" and nothing more is there in my opinion.

While I definitely understand that I think any language can have a legal workaround. 

They took value away from my plan and I cannot replace it for close to the same price. If they take it away at the end of 3 years that’s fine, I understand that. They specifically took advantage of the language of this plan to be able to input a streaming cap when there was never intended to be one. It didn’t have anything to do with the merger terms.If it were then all legacy plans would have gotten the same treatment.

3 minutes ago, Cardsfan96 said:

While I definitely understand that I think any language can have a legal workaround. 

They took value away from my plan and I cannot replace it for close to the same price. If they take it away at the end of 3 years that’s fine, I understand that. They specifically took advantage of the language of this plan to be able to input a streaming cap when there was never intended to be one. It didn’t have anything to do with the merger terms.If it were then all legacy plans would have gotten the same treatment.

Sure, I think you have good points in your favor. The literal terms of the merger are not the only basis to ask for equity. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cyclone said:

When I worked at Verizon, people would call in all the time with 10+ year old plans from companies that no longer existed

One customer had a north dakota plan where every other state was considered long distance!

One had a car phone plan! A CAR PHONE PLAN. I think they got 20 minutes a month.

Verizon had no issue keeping all these.

NOW, if your old plan had unlimited internet, then Verizon cared lol.

• Like 3

FCC Announces Winning Bidders in C-band Auction

Verizon spent $45.4 Billion for 3,511 licenses, AT&T spent $23.4 Billion for 1,621 licenses, and T-Mobile spent $9.3 Billion on 142 licenses.

Seems like T-Mobile spent a lot for the little amount that they where they purchased.

Results here: https://auctiondata.fcc.gov/public/projects/auction107/reports/results

2 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

FCC Announces Winning Bidders in C-band Auction

Verizon spent $45.4 Billion for 3,511 licenses, AT&T spent $23.4 Billion for 1,621 licenses, and T-Mobile spent $9.3 Billion on 142 licenses.

Seems like T-Mobile spent a lot for the little amount that they where they purchased.

Results here: https://auctiondata.fcc.gov/public/projects/auction107/reports/results

Guessing they spent in areas where they have contiguity issues on 2.5. They basically grabbed two licenses per PEA, so 40 MHz. Not a ton, but if they can find 60 MHz contiguous in 2.5 that gives them 100 total, which is plenty.

• Like 1

Looking at the results more closely, actually looks like T-Mobile just grabbed 40 MHz in the top 70-odd markets (exceptions being Rochester, NY and Little Rock, AR, where they only got 20 MHz). So this feels like less of a play to shore up contiguity issues. My new guess is that this is for small cells. By 2024 there'll be areas where added capacity above and beyond n41 will be useful, but those areas may be larger than something mmWave could handle nicely. Cool thing about using a completely different band for small cells is you're not running the risk of self-interfering with the n41 macro network, and n77 (TMo will end up with precisely zero licenses in Block A) can be set up as islands of capacity where needed to avoid self-interference there. Which should mean better performance.

One weird thing is that n41 currently can't aggregate with n77, so folks going from a 100 MHz n41 channel to a 40 MHz n77 one might get a drop in speed, but my guess is that CA combo will show up in the next three years anyway. Or maybe we'll get 24 GHz + n77 CA, similar to plans for n41 + n71 CA now, so you won't actually see a perf hit when going from n41 to n77.

One thing I doubt we'll see is n77 being used for fixed wireless on T-Mobile. It's not a huge chunk of spectrum (basically everywhere with n41 has at least that much deployed), coverage will be significantly less than n41, and the Nokia gateways don't have support for the band (not that that particularly matters nearly three years out). Could be wrong though.

T-Mobile n77 licenses by location:

Location - Block
Albany, NY - C2
Albany, NY - C3
Albany, NY - C4
Albuquerque, NM - C3
Albuquerque, NM - C4
Atlanta, GA - C3
Atlanta, GA - C4
Austin, TX - C3
Austin, TX - C4
Baltimore, MD-Washington, DC - C3
Baltimore, MD-Washington, DC - C4
Bellingham, WA - C3
Bellingham, WA - C4
Birmingham, AL - C3
Birmingham, AL - C4
Boise City, ID - C3
Boise City, ID - C4
Boston, MA - C3
Boston, MA - C4
Brownsville, TX - C3
Brownsville, TX - C4
Buffalo, NY - C3
Buffalo, NY - C4
Cape Coral, FL - C3
Cape Coral, FL - C4
Charleston, SC - C3
Charleston, SC - C4
Charlotte, NC - C3
Charlotte, NC - C4
Chicago, IL - C3
Chicago, IL - C4
Cincinnati, OH - C3
Cincinnati, OH - C4
Cleveland, OH - C3
Cleveland, OH - C4
Columbus, OH - C3
Columbus, OH - C4
Corpus Christi, TX - C3
Corpus Christi, TX - C4
Dallas, TX - C3
Dallas, TX - C4
Denver, CO - C3
Denver, CO - C4
Detroit, MI - C3
Detroit, MI - C4
El Paso, TX - C3
El Paso, TX - C4
Fresno, CA - C3
Fresno, CA - C4
Greensboro, NC - C3
Greensboro, NC - C4
Greenville, SC - C3
Greenville, SC - C4
Harrisburg, PA - C3
Harrisburg, PA - C4
Houston, TX - C3
Houston, TX - C4
Huntsville, AL - C3
Huntsville, AL - C4
Indianapolis, IN - C3
Indianapolis, IN - C4
Jackson, MS - C3
Jackson, MS - C4
Jacksonville, FL - C3
Jacksonville, FL - C4
Kansas City, MO - C3
Kansas City, MO - C4
La Grange, GA - C3
La Grange, GA - C4
Lansing, MI - C3
Lansing, MI - C4
Las Vegas, NV - C3
Las Vegas, NV - C4
Little Rock, AR - C4
Los Angeles, CA - C3
Los Angeles, CA - C4
Louisville, KY - C3
Louisville, KY - C4
Memphis, TN - C3
Memphis, TN - C4
Miami, FL - C3
Miami, FL - C4
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN - C3
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN - C4
Nampa, ID - C3
Nampa, ID - C4
Nashville, TN - C3
Nashville, TN - C4
New Orleans, LA - C3
New Orleans, LA - C4
New York, NY - C3
New York, NY - C4
Odessa, TX - C3
Odessa, TX - C4
Orlando, FL - C3
Orlando, FL - C4
Philadelphia, PA - C3
Philadelphia, PA - C4
Phoenix, AZ - B4
Phoenix, AZ - B5
Pittsburgh, PA - C3
Pittsburgh, PA - C4
Portland, OR - C3
Portland, OR - C4
Raleigh, NC - C3
Raleigh, NC - C4
Rochester, NY - C4
Sacramento, CA - C3
Sacramento, CA - C4

20Mhz each, 28 sub blocks per market.  Verizon got all 56 market licenses that should be available now (Phase I).   Phase II is Sept 30, 2023, Final is Sept 30, 2025. 

The pricing was basically the same in the top few markets. Los Angeles is the most expensive at $557 million per license. 248 for San Franciso, 94 for Cleveland, 57 Sacramento, 55 Pittsburgh, 50 Cincinnati, 36 Columbus. 

But they did get discounts starting with Dallas: 225 versus 202, 94 versus 70 in Cleveland, no discount in Sacramento,AT&T got lowest price in Pittsburgh at 45, same with Cincinnati 41, same in Columbus 30. Basically AT&T paid top dollar for 40Mhz, bottom dollar for next 40Mhz.

The cost for us small dogs to get off the porch was 33k in Van Horn TX

The most common Mhz was Verizon 160Mhz, AT&T 80, T-Mobile 40 (or USC, squatter etc).  Verizon would often gobble up 200MHz if they could.

• Like 1

The real question is whether they intend to use this n77 spectrum or trade it for more n41 when the EBS auctions off later.  Of course there was no WISPs or cable in this and barely any Dish, all of which could compete for EBS.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dkyeager said:

The real question is whether they intend to use this n77 spectrum or trade it for more n41 when the EBS auctions off later.  Of course there was no WISPs or cable in this and barely any Dish, all of which could compete for EBS.

I expect them to use it; they paid above what VZW did to grab some in a ton of major markets. Dish is 100x more likely to just sell their lone license. Interestingly, TMo only got 20 MHz in Little Rock, Rochester, and SYracuse, but 60 MHz in Albany...40 literally everywhere else.

We'll find out what their strategy is on March 11, but my guess is still that n77 will provide a distinct set of freqs for a small cell build out, probably CA'd with 24 GHz, allowing for islands of extra capacity that'll interfere with neither the macro network nor, for the most part, themselves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jf15219 said:

SA 5G on LG V60 after today's update?

Hmm that looks like NSA 5G with LTE information missing, since there is no 5G cell identity info.. but who knows. Send a diagnostic and I'll see if it's hiding anything good behind the scenes!

• Love 1

15 hours ago, iansltx said:

I expect them to use it; they paid above what VZW did to grab some in a ton of major markets. Dish is 100x more likely to just sell their lone license. Interestingly, TMo only got 20 MHz in Little Rock, Rochester, and SYracuse, but 60 MHz in Albany...40 literally everywhere else.

We'll find out what their strategy is on March 11, but my guess is still that n77 will provide a distinct set of freqs for a small cell build out, probably CA'd with 24 GHz, allowing for islands of extra capacity that'll interfere with neither the macro network nor, for the most part, themselves.

The unusual factor is the Band 41 holdings in the primary county for each of the 3 New York cities.  T-Mobile effectively owns all Band 41 in Albany, where they are also getting 60Mhz of n77.  Where as in the n77 20Mhz markets for Rochester and Syracuse, Krisar, Inc. - George W. Bott fragments the n41 spectrum.  In Rochester they could do 100Mhz and 40Mhz.  Syracuse is 60Mhz plus 20Mhz and 20Mhz.

5 hours ago, jf15219 said:

SA 5G on LG V60 after today's update?

(Sprint SIM card)

Figures, I check every day to see if the LG V60 has an update and the one day I didn't an update is issued. Lol 

Thanks, updating now. Will check signalcheckpro to see if any info is missing on my end.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Hmm that looks like NSA 5G with LTE information missing, since there is no 5G cell identity info.. but who knows. Send a diagnostic and I'll see if it's hiding anything good behind the scenes!

I had a similar screen on my OnePlus 8 after switching to TNX yesterday afternoon. I wasn't sure if it was real or not, so I sent a report to you. It did have other stuff though, so maybe it was real.

Screenshot_20210226-170208.jpg

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Grabber5.0 said:

I had a similar screen on my OnePlus 8 after switching to TNX yesterday afternoon. I wasn't sure if it was real or not, so I sent a report to you. It did have other stuff though, so maybe it was real.

Screenshot_20210226-170208.jpg

That is definitely SA!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1