Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

2 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

If uscc is willing to sell I hope VZW gets the spectrum. TMobile has enough

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Not in a state like Wisconsin where I live.  T-Mobile has no B12 here because of USCC and very little spectrum of anything else.

• Like 1

Not in a state like Wisconsin where I live.  T-Mobile has no B12 here because of USCC and very little spectrum of anything else.

Yeah true with B12 I agree there. I know what area of Wisconsin you were talking about and TMO is stuck with AWS 10x10 I think then B71. 20x20 hopefully more thanks to dish. However sprint gives them B41 10x10+5x5. So yeah for Wisconsin I agree with you. Plus uscc holds the C block of pcs which sits with the G to allow 20x20

3 hours ago, derrph said:

So now the question is, for those with older “5G” that gets this device offer will need to switch over to a T-Mobile plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know why older n41 Sprint devices have to be swapped out? Is it because they rely on LTE for upload? From reading the half-assed written articles, it seems like T-Mobile is making NR a stand-alone airlink on their network moving forward. 

That's the only thing I can think of as to why older 5G Sprint phones won't work anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

Anyone know why older n41 Sprint devices have to be swapped out? Is it because they rely on LTE for upload? From reading the half-assed written articles, it seems like T-Mobile is making NR a stand-alone airlink on their network moving forward. 

That's the only thing I can think of as to why older 5G Sprint phones won't work anymore.

T-Mobile has been using its AWS (B4/66) LTE as the anchor band for NSA 5G.  It's likely that they're doing the same with this new 5G on N41.  The CNET article states:

The S10 5G lacks the capability to tap into the LTE anchor band for 2.5GHz 5G that T-Mobile is using, a band combination that is different from what Sprint has done. This combination is need so that the transition won't impact Sprint users who are connected to the midband spectrum for 4G LTE.

https://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-to-redeploy-sprints-midband-5g-spectrum-in-new-york-in-may/?utm_source=reddit.com

I don't know enough about the other older 5G phones from Sprint to know if they support the AWS anchor band that T-Mobile has been using.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, derrph said:

So now the question is, for those with older “5G” that gets this device offer will need to switch over to a T-Mobile plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think so. In the CNET article, they talk about an 18 month lease which Sprint only does. Sprint's S20 will get an update to connect to T-Mobile's 5G so there's no issue there.

Will I need a PRL update to take advantage of roaming one Mobile on my old iPhone 7 plus? I just had to dive 2 blocks to gave a good enough connection to use an app to order fast food. 

On 4/18/2020 at 10:07 AM, dkyeager said:

As of March 31st you could go to the settings for each one of your devices on Sprint.com and just check a box to add it on your account. I have not looked since then. Let us know if you have issues by posting a new thread under general topics.

Im glad I read this thread...

Im also on ED1500, and I just added hotspot to everybody

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

If T-Mobile's 5G uses T-Mobile's LTE as the anchor network how will an update provide access to their 5G without also making us use their LTE network natively?

If you click the link in the faq it says effective April 28

Just now, JLevoLTE said:

If you click the link in the faq it says effective April 28

I already know about the date, I was more curious as to how T-Mobile plans on giving us access to their 5G without also giving us access to their LTE since we need to be connected to the anchor network in order to be connected to the 5G network. Was native access to their LTE network implied in the announcement or will it come as a surprise on April 28th?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

I already know about the date, I was more curious as to how T-Mobile plans on giving us access to their 5G without also giving us access to their LTE since we need to be connected to the anchor network in order to be connected to the 5G network. Was native access to their LTE network implied in the announcement or will it come as a surprise on April 28th?

I guess we will find out 

I thought they were going to use DSS which allows them to run LTE AND NR on the same bands simultaneously.
Yeah, but it's not free. You incur overhead from having it enabled. If I remember correctly it's in the 10-20% range. So it's not insignificant. I'm not sure if it's the sort of thing that can be improved upon with software or hardware updates.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paynefanbro said:

Maybe they’ll enable Multi-Operator Core Network (MOCN) then, which would bridge the two cores together and allow 5G capable towers to broadcast the Sprint PLMN natively over the NR radios and the LTE anchor bands?

I’m on mobile now and can’t find the link to their filings, but T-Mobile indicated they’d be using MOCN to grant Sprint users native access to the network during integration. 

41 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Yes

Not necessarily. It can still use B25 for backhaul. If all you need is a signal to make phone calls and send texts with casual browsing, the MB will suffice. Just no more faster speeds.

Edited by greenbastard

24 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

Not necessarily. It can still use B25 for backhaul. If all you need is a signal to make phone calls and send texts with casual browsing, the MB will suffice. Just no more faster speeds.

Not really that much slower on B25, my magic box never seems to go much above 20 down so you'd never notice.

37 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

It can still use B25 for backhaul. If all you need is a signal to make phone calls and send texts with casual browsing, the MB will suffice. Just no more faster speeds.

Not necessarily - if the block of spectrum in which the MB broadcasts is used on the macro network, problems will arise. 

38 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Not necessarily - if the block of spectrum in which the MB broadcasts is used on the macro network, problems will arise. 

I can't imagine these boxes (with extremely limited range) creating enough interference to become a nuisance to the 5G network. In theory, they could continue to operate them like T-Mobile operates their current Cellspots.

Whether they do is another story. I think they phase these boxes out in favor of Cellspots due to the clash in airlinks. No more network backhaul for in-home cells.