Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

Wasn't live for a few I know including myself until today. 
Same here. It definitely wasn't live yesterday for me, but works today.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dewbertdc said:

Yeah, congestion on T-Mobile can be really bad during the day downtown and in areas where there has been a lot of growth (think NoMA and H Street NE) but no corresponding upgrade in capacity.  I wonder if T-Mobile had been waiting to densify until after the merger completed.  There are spots where T-Mo has really done a good job upgrading, like the Shaw-U Street corridor, where I can easily pull 50-100Mbps even when it's crowded.

DC has certainly grown, and Sprint's network wasn't keeping up in a number of areas across the City. Some of this was probably due to limited capex, but I think it was also further limited because Sprint was waiting on the merger as well.

4 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Damn T-Mobile really isn't wasting any time VoLTE!

The length of time that it actually took for the merger may be a reason that things are moving so quickly.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/operators/t-mobile-launches-2-5-ghz-philadelphia-tees-up-nyc-for-entire-layer-cake

T-Mobile executives on more than one occasion have said the length of time it took to get the deal done – about two years – actually worked in their favor in the sense that they could lay a lot of the groundwork for when the 2.5 GHz became available to the combined entity.  

Perhaps this is applicable to VoLTE going live as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Those who purchased an HTC 5G Hub on an installment plan will get a credit of $12.50/mo. for the remainder of the term. If they purchased the hotspot outright, T-Mobile will give them a one-time credit of $300 applied to their bill.

@645824 Hey Scott, I saw this and thought of you.

https://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-to-redeploy-sprints-midband-5g-spectrum-in-new-york-in-may/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dewbertdc said:

not sure if Sprint 5G ever made it down into the tunnels.  I don't think T-Mobile's did. Not sure what "CWS" stands for... 

3 hours ago, RedSpark said:

I don't have a 5G device so I can't tell if 5G made it down there. Knowing WMATA, I'm not sure it did. However, I imagine T-Mobile/Verizon/AT&T would want to upgrade it to 5G at some point.

I am about 99.9% sure it did not.  Most of the underground B41 is from Mini Macros, at least according to the GCI pattern.  There are a handful of locations where they appeared to be 8T8Rs.  None of them on my commute, at least, were in the Massive MIMO part of the GCI pattern.

- Trip

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Trip said:

I am about 99.9% sure it did not.  Most of the underground B41 is from Mini Macros, at least according to the GCI pattern.  There are a handful of locations where they appeared to be 8T8Rs.  None of them on my commute, at least, were in the Massive MIMO part of the GCI pattern.

- Trip

When do you think T-Mobile will address the Sprint spectrum on the network?

Was this underground coverage system even designed with 5G upgradability in mind?

I actually roamed on band 4 but like everything else except band 41 by the front door it gave me very weak Speedtest results: around 2Mbps. I don't think they have merged band 2/25 in our area or if they have, it is so congested that the speed tests are still going to be rather disappointing. Maybe if/when Sprint supports eSIM so that I can move my Sprint account to my 10XR with additional Band 66/71 bandwidth.

Edited by bigsnake49

3 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

That is really sad.  I even went to the Sprint store and the HTC 5G Hub isn't listed there anymore either.  It is a good device and I've been happy with the 3 units that I have (I need 3 to have at least 1 working at all times; with my load-balancing router).

"Fortunately", their dropping of Sprint 5G service it doesn't impact me since my Sprint tower never even turned on 5G anyway.  So I'm at 4G LTE at roughly 20 Mbps.  

Oh, well, looks like the T-Mobile era is starting quickly.  ...Now I'm waiting for SpaceX's StarLink.

Scott

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

Was this underground coverage system even designed with 5G upgradability in mind?

With the right equipment in the cabinets, I'm sure T-Mobile could throw an NR carrier up there if they wanted to.  From some Googling, it looks like a "leaky cable" setup in the tunnels and antennas in the stations both for their public safety radios (blue cable) and the cell carriers (purple cable), nothing too fancy.

http://www.systemintegrators.net/portfolio/neutral-host-das-case-study

https://www.wmata.com/about/board/meetings/board-pdfs/upload/101316_3BRadioandCellularInfrastructureReplacementUpdate.pdf

https://www.wmata.com/business/procurement/solicitations/documents/RFI 15-219.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaYDxJ7A1Z0

2020-04-22_16-27-12.png

Edited by dewbertdc
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 645824 said:

That is really sad.  I even went to the Sprint store and the HTC 5G Hub isn't listed there anymore either.  It is a good device and I've been happy with the 3 units that I have (I need 3 to have at least 1 working at all times; with my load-balancing router).

It gets even worse, all of Sprint's hotspots are now listed as sold out. T-Mobile only has a single cat4 hotspot. Given T-Mobile's history around hotspots, we might see a de emphesis on them, with no new hotspot plans. IIRC T-Mobile's largest plan is a 22G mobile data (hotspot) plan for like ~$90/month.

Edited by whfsdude
  • Like 2

The question is whether T-Mobile has bricked Sprint compatible b41 LTE in Philly. Are small cells and MagicBoxes toast?  How is the T-Mobile b41 performance?  Urging any members in Philly to update us on these issues

• Like 1

The question is whether T-Mobile has bricked Sprint compatible b41 LTE in Philly. Are small cells and MagicBoxes toast?  How is the T-Mobile b41 performance?  Urging any members in Philly to update us on these issues

No LTE. The article I posted just means 5G devices like the S10+ 5G note 10 5G become LTE devices only. TMO will likely use sprints small cells to.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

Sprint never deployed n41 in Philly so there is no spectrum reuse issue with Band 41 LTE and T-Mobile's deployment of n41. They're just using spectrum that Sprint never used in the first place.

The real test will be NYC which is supposed to launch next month. Sprint actually deployed n41 across most of the city already and T-Mobile is going to need that spectrum to deploy 5G. CNET said that T-Mobile won't shut down Sprint's 5G network until they've covered the city but I wouldn't be surprised if T-Mobile simply shut down nearby Sprint n41 sites as they turn on T-Mobile n41 sites to avoid any issues.

4 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

Sprint never deployed n41 in Philly so there is no spectrum reuse issue with Band 41 LTE and T-Mobile's deployment of n41. They're just using spectrum that Sprint never used in the first place.

The real test will be NYC which is supposed to launch next month. Sprint actually deployed n41 across most of the city already and T-Mobile is going to need that spectrum to deploy 5G. CNET said that T-Mobile won't shut down Sprint's 5G network until they've covered the city but I wouldn't be surprised if T-Mobile simply shut down nearby Sprint n41 sites as they turn on T-Mobile n41 sites to avoid any issues.

There is some 5G here, limited to a select few areas so pretty much non existent.

20 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

There is some 5G here, limited to a select few areas so pretty much non existent.

1) stay safe

2) So can you still get b41 (4g) LTE in the T-Mobile n41 areas?

3) Is the b41 now coming from the n41 new T-Mobile sites? How is performance in both cases?

4) Small cell and MagicBoxes still function in these areas as well? 

Thanks

14 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

The plans, as I understand them, is Tmo will take 60MHz for Tmo n41.  Any remaining spectrum in the market will be used for Sprint B41 LTE.  Only in 2.5 spectrum constrained markets (less than 80MHz), will there be possibly no B41 LTE for Sprint customers remaining after the switch.  There aren't many major metros in this scenario.  Tmo is not planning to open up B41 LTE to its customers.  As Sprint LTE usage drops, they will refarm remaining B41 to n41.

Robert

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

1) stay safe

3) Is the b41 now coming from the n41 new T-Mobile sites? How is performance in both cases?

4) Small cell and MagicBoxes still function in these areas as well? 

Thanks

I'm still getting B41 wherever I go, my magic box still functions like shit as it always has we don't even need it can't wait until we have to return it. Either way I think I am staying on T-Mobile bands until we get the update on the 28th now that we have VoLTE.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

The plans, as I understand them, is Tmo will take 60MHz for Tmo n41.  Any remaining spectrum in the market will be used for Sprint B41 LTE.  Only in 2.5 spectrum constrained markets (less than 80MHz), will there be possibly no B41 LTE for Sprint customers remaining after the switch.  There aren't many major metros in this scenario.  Tmo is not planning to open up B41 LTE to its customers.  As Sprint LTE usage drops, they will refarm remaining B41 to n41.

Robert

Maybe this is a dumb question but as more I hear it seems they are only working on 5g. Is there never going to be a network integration of the LTE networks? Are sprint customer going to be stuck on sprint LTE until they upgrade to a 5g device? Or will there eventually be a full integration or plan to allow sprint customers to access the full T-Mobile network on the LTE side?

Maybe this is a dumb question but as more I hear it seems they are only working on 5g. Is there never going to be a network integration of the LTE networks? Are sprint customer going to be stuck on sprint LTE until they upgrade to a 5g device? Or will there eventually be a full integration or plan to allow sprint customers to access the full T-Mobile network on the LTE side?
At some point all sprints customers will become TMobile customers and sprints towers, the keep sites, will be upgraded by TMO and aws,pcs,600,700, along with TMobiles 2.5 will be on them

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

At some point all sprints customers will become TMobile customers and sprints towers, the keep sites, will be upgraded by TMO and aws,pcs,600,700, along with TMobiles 2.5 will be on them

Yeah I heard that before but with all the 5g talk and nothing about integration for LTE customers it doesn’t sound good.