Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Not sure I follow you on the weighting of real world usage. Their app runs in the background and tracks what your phone uses as you use your phone during the day. They track what apps you use and for how long and how much data is being sent for each app. It is not a speedtest that they breakdown somehow. Nielsen does not use any cellular data other than to send back but your usage log. There formula should be amount of data sent over the length of data session. Data session is the length of time that a data stream is active.

If you don't like cisco to show how the vast amount of people use their phones you can google another data colector there are many that show video as #1 usage. Some can even break it down to youtube and netflix being the biggest usage of mobile data. The last time I looked it was one way on PC and then they flipped on mobile.

http://en-us.nielsen.com/sitelets/cls/digital/Mobile-NetView30-FAQ.pdf

So, your supposition is that the Cisco stats are representative of those of the Nielsen app user base -- people who specifically chose to download the app?

Possibly so.  Law of large numbers.  But how do you know within reason?  That is my point.

Look into self selection bias.  If it did not exist, then the jury selection process would not exist.

To tie this back in with Nielsen, I received multiple invitations last year to participate in the Nielsen TV rating process.  I even would be paid to do so.  I did not respond to any of the offers.  I do not watch enough TV to bother.

That is an example of self selection bias.  And my absence or participation may have skewed the stats away from those of the general population.

AJ

• Like 1

What AJ was saying is that Nielsen may place more importance on one data set over another. We have no idea what their methodology and weighting is until they make it public.

Ask Nielsen then if you don't believe they use straight up average data speeds. Not sure if you will believe anything they say.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/contact-us.html

Please explain the drop in November for T-Mobile data speeds. If it is not Binge On which launched the exact same time as the drop. Please don't say something like correlation does not mean causation. Tmobile was the only one hurt because nielsen changed the weight of things just to hurt Tmobile?

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160125005532/en/Sprint%E2%80%99s-LTE-Network-Delivers-Faster-Download-Speeds

• Like 1

Ask Nielsen then if you don't believe they use straight up average data speeds. Not sure if you will believe anything they say.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/contact-us.html

Please explain the drop in November for T-Mobile data speeds. If it is not Binge On which launched the exact same time as the drop. Please don't say something like correlation does not mean causation. Tmobile was the only one hurt because nielsen changed the weight of things just to hurt Tmobile?

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160125005532/en/Sprint%E2%80%99s-LTE-Network-Delivers-Faster-Download-Speeds

First off, I have a lot of respect for Nielsen and I am willing to take their word for it. Having said that, I don't know what their methodology is. You simply cannot look at the results of a study and declare the data valid without looking at the methodology. There does not have to be any ill intent. It is as simple as that.

Sprint's (S) Management Presents at Deutsche Bank Media, Internet & Telecom Conference (Transcript) http://seekingalpha.com/article/3957216?source=ansh $S

This CFO knows what he is doing.

The answer at the end was perhaps the most encouraging. It looks like sprint is going to pour more money into the network to take advantage of the delay the auction will put in the competition's network planning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Softbank will bid in the upcoming spectrum auction - sources

07:01 AM ET • S • SA Eli Hoffmann

Sources say SoftBank is rumored to be participating in the upcoming auction of broadcast spectrum to wireless carriers.

SoftBank might acquire the spectrum by setting up a new company, which later sells or swaps it as it sees fit.

SoftBank said on March 7 it would split into two companies, one managing SoftBank’s Japanese media and telecom businesses, and one managing overseas operations like Sprint and Alibaba. It's unclear if either of these companies or another entity would purchase spectrum.

The move could be a way to acquire low bandwidth spectrum for Sprint (NYSE:S), which lags competitors in ownership of lower bandwidth spectrum.

Source: CTFN

Softbank will bid in the upcoming spectrum auction - sources http://seekingalpha.com/news/3166294?source=ansh $S, $SFTBF, $SFTBY

Well there is goes Tmobile plan to grab all reserved spectrum

Edit

This is a rumor but if it's turn out to be true, this might give Sprint a, huge boots.

• Like 8

Softbank will bid in the upcoming spectrum auction - sources

07:01 AM ET • S • SA Eli Hoffmann

Sources say SoftBank is rumored to be participating in the upcoming auction of broadcast spectrum to wireless carriers.

SoftBank might acquire the spectrum by setting up a new company, which later sells or swaps it as it sees fit.

SoftBank said on March 7 it would split into two companies, one managing SoftBank’s Japanese media and telecom businesses, and one managing overseas operations like Sprint and Alibaba. It's unclear if either of these companies or another entity would purchase spectrum.

The move could be a way to acquire low bandwidth spectrum for Sprint (NYSE:S), which lags competitors in ownership of lower bandwidth spectrum.

Source: CTFN

Softbank will bid in the upcoming spectrum auction - sources http://seekingalpha.com/news/3166294?source=ansh $S, $SFTBF, $SFTBY

Well there is goes Tmobile plan to grab all reserved spectrum

Edit

This is a rumor but if it's turn out to be true, this might give Sprint a, huge boots.

Isn't it too late for them to register to participate now?

Isn't it too late for them to register to participate now?

My guess is that they were registered a while ago, and we're just now hearing about it.  They probably have some entity with a weird name that's actually doing the bidding. 

• Like 2

I recall all the lamentations and hair pulling over sprint's commitment to not participate. What do those people think now?, was this not the most likely method of obtaining new spectrum?

• Like 1

I would have registered even if I wasn't planning to bid just in case I changed my mind closer to the auction.  I would think Sprint, or whatever related company they set up for the purpose, would do the same.

But yes, the application window has closed.

- Trip

• Like 5

I recall all the lamentations and hair pulling over sprint's commitment to not participate. What do those people think now?, was this not the most likely method of obtaining new spectrum?

If it is confirmed then mea culpa. I thought they were making a huge mistake.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

I seem to recall predicting this very move. I'd pat myself on the back, but I need to keep my hands on the wheel as point my rig toward Montana.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 18

I seem to recall predicting this very move. I'd pat myself on the back, but I need to keep my hands on the wheel as point my rig toward Montana.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

I thought it was obvious myself. Sprint would've been very stupid not to bid on 600, what low band they have now is not enough.

• Like 1

I thought it was obvious myself. Sprint would've been very stupid not to bid on 600, what low band they have now is not enough.

I see quite a few instances of a loaded Band 26 LTE carrier.   Yes, Sprint does tend to shove users onto Band 41 and 25 as much as possible, but the usage on Band 26 is q

Awe this kinda makes me happy. I'm sure SoftBank will seed some of spectrum to Sprint. The question how much is SoftBank willing to spend?

Sprint can really be a force to reckon with in the next few years.

• Like 1

I see quite a few instances of a loaded Band 26 LTE carrier.   Yes, Sprint does tend to shove users onto Band 41 and 25 as much as possible, but the usage on Band 26 is q

Posted accidentally before I was done typing.

Usage on band 26 can be quite high if you are between cell sites or at a fringe area.   I see low speeds (like 2 down and 5 up) on band 26 at times.  One 5X5 carrier just does not get it.  It probably is going to get worse too.  More users in those areas are going to drive speed down.

No, you mean one hand on the wheel, the other on the handset.  We know you cannot resist.

;)

AJ

• Like 1

Usage on band 26 can be quite high if you are between cell sites or at a fringe area. I see low speeds (like 2 down and 5 up) on band 26 at times. One 5X5 carrier just does not get it. It probably is going to get worse too. More users in those areas are going to drive speed down.

That is the problem densification is meant to solve.

• Like 2

Usage on band 26 can be quite high if you are between cell sites or at a fringe area.   I see low speeds (like 2 down and 5 up) on band 26 at times.  One 5X5 carrier just does not get it.  It probably is going to get worse too.  More users in those areas are going to drive speed down.

That is the problem densification is meant to solve.

We shall see how much densification actually occurs.  In well deployed markets, band 26 is not really needed for coverage so much as for capacity.  But with the rollout of a band 25 second carrier and/or the bandwidth expansion to a 10-15 MHz FDD band 25 first carrier, band 26 loading should diminish.

AJ

We shall see how much densification actually occurs. In well deployed markets, band 26 is not really needed for coverage so much as for capacity. But with the rollout of a band 25 second carrier and/or the bandwidth expansion to a 10-15 MHz FDD band 25 first carrier, band 26 loading should diminish.

AJ

Well, they keep saying they are going to do it. I can't imagine them backing out, especially given tarek's recent comments.

Don't forget that chamb is in Shentel territory.  In Shentel territory, things tend to be better managed than in native Sprint territory.  I have to think that Shentel will be densifying as needed, independent of the larger Sprint effort.

- Trip

I think most of us said it or thought it.

We didn't read between the lines enough. If this is true, I do remember a sprint exec saying they don't want to give the competitors their strategy -- something along those lines.

The new company coming couldn't have been thought up overnight something we all know- but what better way to stir things up! Way to go Sprint!

Now I really wonder how they plan to pull it off?

Since they have soooo much spectrum will this new company "lease" sprint spectrum? Or will sprint have to get rid of some of the 2.5?

• Like 1

Don't forget that chamb is in Shentel territory.  In Shentel territory, things tend to be better managed than in native Sprint territory.  I have to think that Shentel will be densifying as needed, independent of the larger Sprint effort.

- Trip

Correct. I am mostly in Shentel territory and they occasionally do add a cell site in a weak area.  However, no matter how many they add, we still have areas in business buildings, some homes, basements, and just low valleys where band 26 is the only carrier that works.   Is  is great that we have this band 26.   But, there are enough users on band 26 that a 5X5 carrier just can not handle it.

We have the second band 25 carrier and even band 41 in some areas.  Those two bands (25 & 41) just will never reach into some of these questionable locations. Adding wider band 25 or 41 is not going to do much as the signals are just not strong enough to get into some places. Maybe the answer is some small cells in the middle of these questionable low signal areas.  Somehow the band 26 carrier needs to have some of the load lifted off of it.

If I see this issue in Shentel territory, where the site density is very good, I have to think this has or will be happening in other areas where the density is not as good.

• Like 1

Correct. I am mostly in Shentel territory and they occasionally do add a cell site in a weak area.  However, no matter how many they add, we still have areas in business buildings, some homes, basements, and just low valleys where band 26 is the only carrier that works.   Is  is great that we have this band 26.   But, there are enough users on band 26 that a 5X5 carrier just can not handle it.

We have the second band 25 carrier and even band 41 in some areas.  Those two bands (25 & 41) just will never reach into some of these questionable locations. Adding wider band 25 or 41 is not going to do much as the signals are just not strong enough to get into some places. Maybe the answer is some small cells in the middle of these questionable low signal areas.  Somehow the band 26 carrier needs to have some of the load lifted off of it.

If I see this issue in Shentel territory, where the site density is very good, I have to think this has or will be happening in other areas where the density is not as good.

Shentel provided quite a bit of detail in its Earnings Report on densification.

Link to transcript.

• Like 1

Once they consolidate A-F PCS block spectrum holdings with G Block, then they can use Band 26 as the fall back rather than for primary capacity. Prioritize it as Band 41>Band 25>Band 26. Then Band 26 will only be used by subscribers that the other two bands cannot reach.

Edited by bigsnake49