Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Haven't been following too closely, but I would be happy that softbank is pursuing 600mhz and/or any other spectrum auctions, if for nothing else but to use as bargaining chips towards trades to improve/consolidate missing blocks into their existing tri-band reserves.

• Like 6

Wow! If Softbank manages to invest big in this auction, it is going to be really bad news for T-Mobile, especially if Softbank gets 10x10 of it at least in the mid/major markets, granted that much is available for them. All Sprint has to do at that point when they start applying it on their network, is to have a couple month huge promotional rate of around $60 monthly or so for Unlimited while they get huge speed numbers in reports, then watch the subscriber count go way up! I'm very impressed with them at this point and good to hear some new network-based announcements from them.

• Like 1

Sprint is going in big I believe. The article mentions the company will manage airwaves also off the top of my head

Buy/selling/leasing/trade.

I believe SoftBank my splurge to get the upper hand and do just that trade/lease so that sprints spectrum is most efficient and evenly spread through the 3 bands

• Like 1

Once they consolidate A-F PCS block spectrum holdings with G Block, then they can use Band 26 as the fall back rather than for primary capacity. Prioritize it as Band 41>Band 25>Band 26. Then Band 26 will only be used by subscribers that the other two bands cannot reach.

They already do have it prioritized in that manner.  Right now, I might have band 25 on the street, walk into a building and immediately am moved to band 26. Years ago, there would have been nothing in the building except maybe 1X voice.  Now, the presence of band 26 is great, except it just struggles to handle the load and the speed drops.  Normally the signal level is not really that good since it is only a few DB better than the band 25 signal that crapped out as I enter the building. 

The end result is low speed due to low signal level and the load on Band 26.  If band 25 does not enter the building or travel around behind an obstruction, it does not matter how much traffic is on band 25 or 41. These users that are now on band 26 because Sprint can not shift them to band 25 or 41will still be on band 26 no matter how wide the band 25 or 41 carriers are.

Today, if I walk or drive out of a weak area, I might stick on Band 26 for awhile, but as soon as any significant data transfer starts happening, I am shifted to band 25 or band 41.  Band 25 coverage in Shentel territory is amazingly good, but there are just areas that only band 26 reaches into.  Almost impossible to get many users off of band 26. They are on band 26 not because they want to be there. They are on band 26 because that is the only channel that will work.

Sprint is going in big I believe. The article mentions the company will manage airwaves also off the top of my head

Buy/selling/leasing/trade.

I believe SoftBank my splurge to get the upper hand and do just that trade/lease so that sprints spectrum is most efficient and evenly spread through the 3 bands

I don't think we should jump into conclusion yet.  It seems the source of that article is not reliable.  And beside, if softbank or another entity controlled by softbank registered with FCC to bid, it would have been published already.  Is there anyway to find out the list of possible bidder from FCC? is it a public information?

If Softbank is going to participate in the auction, it could be a good deal for Son.

Lets say that Sprint becomes a very viable company, then Softbank can further build the network with the spectrum purchased.  If Sprint does not survive, Softbank has a very good investment and will most likely incur additional revenue from it.

It is a win for Softbank either way.

• Like 3

If Softbank is going to participate in the auction, it could be a good deal for Son.

Lets say that Sprint becomes a very viable company, then Softbank can further build the network with the spectrum purchased.  If Sprint does not survive, Softbank has a very good investment and will most likely incur additional revenue from it.

It is a win for Softbank either way.

I really wonder how Sprint could not survive the troubles they do have. While I believe things are taking longer than they should, I also believe Sprint is going to grow from this. The spectrum swapping is a major sign to me they mean business. Before that I was starting to believe Sprint was failing from the few positive points they've had previously. If they get this spectrum, I have no doubt they will be back in action and growing. All they really need to do is to start the tower density plan in the meantime, then deploy 10x10 (I'm hoping) 600mhz, rollout some really good promotional plans (something better than 50% off, something that doesn't sound so tacky. It needs to be something that inspires confidence, such as a bold unlimited offer, etc.), and as long as the reports show Sprint's network way ahead as it should at that point, the combination of all those will drive up huge additions in subscriber growth.

Sprint could then easily offer a huge incentive in the non-unlimited data space too. Something like 15gb for $35 monthly one line with an inexpensive additional data purchase option, and it'll bring customers in a major way. Have an incentive for unlimited at $45 monthly (50% off of T-Mobile's without actually saying 50% off, granted I know its not offered on unlimited data currently) with those who lease a flagship device, so that'll bring in extra business for their leasing company, and watch that postpaid option grow business for Sprint too.

Sprint is in an excellent position to do those things, which right now, I believe they will.

• Like 2

Mind Blown!

That is if he has much of a mind left.

While I'm glad T-Mobile has resolved the problems they caused for me with my recent order, resulting in a satisfactory resolution for me, I'm surprised by the extremeness in attitude and behavior of a few of its Executive Response representatives, whom represent the near-top of the customer service chain, these few who were out of line in how they dealt with this. Thankfully, someone directly above them in the chain apologized genuinely and resolved this issue very well. However, I've read complaints from other customers regarding how they had difficulty dealing with T-Mobile Executive Response, certain customers not being appreciated from long-lasting loyalty, T-Mobile making more "carrier-like" decisions about these complaints, along with applying these decisions in their newer promotional requirements, etc.

Then there are the activist groups targeting T-Mobile, rumors of legal investigations and other potentially serious issues for T-Mobile. Besides, John Legere has lost a lot of his fan support, due to his statements regarding the EFF. Now, T-Mobile is being targeted for the upcoming auction statements, etc. It must be a difficult time for Legere. 

• Like 1

I would have registered even if I wasn't planning to bid just in case I changed my mind closer to the auction. I would think Sprint, or whatever related company they set up for the purpose, would do the same.

But yes, the application window has closed.

- Trip

Is this the same approach that US Cellular took with King Street Wireless, which is its Spectrum Bidding Partner (for 700 MHz)?

http://www.kingstreetwireless.com

I'm happy as well. But still too much talk and no perceived action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes, I also agree with that.  Let's see something...

• Like 1

How so? The number of reports of small cells has been increasing recently.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

How so? The number of reports of small cells has been increasing recently.

I'm taking about announcements from Sprint.

And people seeing them doesn't mean it's national.

I'm taking about announcements from Sprint.

And people seeing them doesn't mean it's national.

I don't expect it to be national instantly but the fact of the matter is that it is a nationwide deployment as per the announcements. Additionally they've barely given any specifics but rather they've been repeating the same cookie cutter speech about it.

Any expectations you have for it are strictly on you and not necessarily Sprint's fault.

• Like 2

I'm only seeing a few extremely isolated instances. I believe it was in Florida.

The first one that I recall seeing was in the Boston Metro area. Then there are a few in Shentel's area. The most recent ones found were in Florida.

The first one that I recall seeing was in the Boston Metro area. Then there are a few in Shentel's area. The most recent ones found were in Florida.

They probably are filling in the weakest areas first. That's what I would do!

I don't expect it to be national instantly but the fact of the matter is that it is a nationwide deployment as per the announcements. Additionally they've barely given any specifics but rather they've been repeating the same cookie cutter speech about it.

Any expectations you have for it are strictly on you and not necessarily Sprint's fault.

Actually based on previous benchmarks my expectations are near zero.

I never even mentioned the handful of field trials

I'm purely saying that it's been almost a year of talk. Except for starting in early 2016 - which is "now".

Hopefully sprint can bring on more new subs. I'd really like to see how robust the network is. ;-)

Boston is far from weak in my experience.

I don't mean by urban areas. I mean looking at the obvious coverage gaps all over the country where they cover and fixing those first. We all know where the weak spots are within our local areas. Sprint knows them too. Each weak spot gets ranked with how weak it is and how many people are affected by it. The highest ranked weak spots get the small cells first. Anyway, that's what I'd do.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 4