Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Oh and my sanity post was aimed solely at the notion that no carrier is our buddy or friend. That was all. [emoji41]

You were responding to at least the two posts directly prior to yours. For context, I also should have quoted this portion.

Exactly! That why I don't understand carrier fanboys.

By saying that is "sanity," you are implying that being a fan of a wireless provider is insanity.  But I pointed out that if there were no people here who are fans of Sprint, there would be no S4GRU.  The staff, in particular, has legitimate reasons to be fans of Sprint -- because of the thousands of hours of pro bono work that we do.  If we stopped being fans of Sprint, the work would stop, too.

AJ

• Like 2

You were responding to at least the two posts directly prior to yours. For context, I also should have quoted this portion.

By saying that is "sanity," you are implying that being a fan of a wireless provider is insanity.  But I pointed out that if there were no people here who are fans of Sprint, there would be no S4GRU.  The staff, in particular, has legitimate reasons to be fans of Sprint -- because of the thousands of hours of pro bono work that we do.  If we stopped being fans of Sprint, the work would stop, too.

AJ

I think you might have taken my post the wrong way AJ.  I respect the work that the admins of this site do, and if this site did not exist, I probably would have never considered Sprint.  I guess what I was addressing was the garbage that litters the comment sections on many popular blogs and industry sites that are full of name calling and blind loyalty to one carrier or another mainly driven by marketing and cult of personality.  I like Sprint, I support Sprint, but i don't belittle others who choose another carrier that works for them.  Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. 

• Like 3

By saying that is "sanity," you are implying that being a fan of a wireless provider is insanity. But I pointed out that if there were no people here who are fans of Sprint, there would be no S4GRU. The staff, in particular, has legitimate reasons to be fans of Sprint -- because of the thousands of hours of pro bono work that we do. If we stopped being fans of Sprint, the work would stop, too.

AJ

thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I guess what I was addressing was the garbage that litters the comment sections on many popular blogs and industry sites that are full of name calling and blind loyalty to one carrier or another mainly driven by marketing and cult of personality.

Yeah, I know those people and their comments all too well.  They are "fanboys."  We just should make a distinction between them and "fans."  Or perhaps "supporters" would be a better term.  Consumers have no real reasons, only cultish reasons to be "fans" of any wireless providers.  Doing so is against their economic self interest.  But stakeholders do have legitimate reasons to be "fans."  Some of those people are employees.  Others, like S4GRU staff, are working toward an educational cause. 

AJ

• Like 4

Yeah, I know those people and their comments all too well. They are "fanboys." We just should make a distinction between them and "fans." Or perhaps "supporters" would be a better term. Consumers have no real reasons, only cultish reasons to be "fans" of any wireless providers. Doing so is against their economic self interest. But stakeholders do have legitimate reasons to be "fans." Some of those people are employees. Others, like S4GRU staff, are working toward an educational cause.

AJ

Bingo

Yeah, I know those people and their comments all too well.  They are "fanboys."  We just should make a distinction between them and "fans."  Or perhaps "supporters" would be a better term.  Consumers have no real reasons, only cultish reasons to be "fans" of any wireless providers.  Doing so is against their economic self interest.  But stakeholders do have legitimate reasons to be "fans."  Some of those people are employees.  Others, like S4GRU staff, are working toward an educational cause. 

AJ

Sprint shareholders are stakeholders... of course, they're working in their own self-interest... but they believe the company's best days are ahead of it, not behind it...

In fact, of all outside stakeholders, they have the greatest faith and may express the most enthusiasm/opinions.... since their money is on the line.

• Like 2

I didn't think they would and I'm not looking for it, who asked for it?   They are clearly working on CA because I have it all around where I live.  That however isn't the small cells and macro cells that there should probably more sightings of.  

I think we'll see them start popping up randomly, and for the most part transparent to users other than those who are directly affected.

Similar to a Right-of-Way cell that popped up on a utility pole in Laguna Canyon, CA. On Reddit someone reported better coverage where 1x existed before, and reported showed it was a utility pole install.

• Like 1

Here in NYC, its like 95% outdoors, 85% indoors. And this is using NYC's PCS spacing (which granted is pretty dense). So it sounds like densification is more in order around your neck of the woods. 

People need to stop sleeping on Band 41..

To be fair, Clearwire has a significant co-located and standalone site deployment here. I can name a dozen sites off the top of my head which are Clearwire-only.

As I was driving to work this morning I had a few thoughts:

1. I'm switching back to Sprint from TMO after they send me my Visa card to pay off my EIP because I see no real difference in the network where I live.

2. Does Marcelo use Sprint as his main service provider? What do you guys think?

• Like 3

If the "other" SoftBank buys 600mhz it won't count against sprint and the spectrum limit?

Thinking this if true is perfect sprint trades some 2.5 to this company for 600, it still stays in the company. If sprint leases 600 cheap from this company still a win. If this is true I see it as a very smart move by SoftBank. Definitely preparing for the future.

• Like 1

2. Does Marcelo use Sprint as his main service provider? What do you guys think?

Absolutely, Marcelo uses Sprint.  If he used a competitor for his primary line, someone would notice, and the tech press would be all over that like flies on shit.  It would be terrible publicity.

AJ

• Like 11

If the "other" SoftBank buys 600mhz it won't count against sprint and the spectrum limit?

Thinking this if true is perfect sprint trades some 2.5 to this company for 600, it still stays in the company. If sprint leases 600 cheap from this company still a win. If this is true I see it as a very smart move by SoftBank. Definitely preparing for the future.

No, the FCC likely would see right through that ruse, since SoftBank would hold control over both Sprint and the other entity.  But no matter, Sprint does not seem to be in any real danger of exceeding the flexible spectrum screen, which increases with every auction or release of new spectrum.

AJ

• Like 2

Big news:

Sprint Demonstrates Speeds of More Than 300 Mbps on Samsung Galaxy S7

Sprint prepares for three-channel carrier aggregation in LTE Plus markets across the country

Today Sprint is device testing three-channel carrier aggregation in its lab located in Reston, Virginia, to evaluate overall performance, speed and reliability using the Samsung Galaxy S7. The company expects to test new devices as they become available in preparation for deployment of three-channel carrier aggregation within the super-fast LTE Plus Network.

• Like 9

Big news:

Sprint Demonstrates Speeds of More Than 300 Mbps on Samsung Galaxy S7

Sprint prepares for three-channel carrier aggregation in LTE Plus markets across the country

I wonder if Sprint is considering changing the ratio in order to increase download speeds even more at the expense of upload speeds.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So how did they jump from 90 of the top 100 markets to the top 100 markets with 2.5 Ghz Spectrum. That's quite a change from the last press release

Im curious to know how they end up with over 300mbs. Are they changing the ratio for TDD?

Not sure. However, the post says Real world peak speeds should be 200mbps.

Real world peak speeds should be 200mbps.

Sprint advertised single carrier B41 at 50-60mbs.. But we have seen quite a bit higher and closer to the actual peak of around 80mbs.

The mere fact that they mention over 300mbs, means its technically possible unlike 3xCA would be in its current configuration.

Could this be 4x4 MIMO?

Sprint advertised single carrier B41 at 50-60mbs.. But we have seen quite a bit higher and closer to the actual peak of around 80mbs.

The mere fact that they mention over 300mbs, means its technically possible unlike 3xCA would be in its current configuration.

Could this be 4x4 MIMO?

See this video: LTE 4x4 MIMO on Snapdragon 820 with X12 LTE

Could this be 4x4 MIMO?

No, it's a transmission mode change. The S7 is a 2x2MIMO device.