Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Sprint isn't going to announce the deployment of every small cell or even a new macro site. In fact, I like the less is more approach, whereas in the past it seemed like a major press release was issued for things.

Let the network speak for itself, and continue to work daily. As for my market, I see sites coming up daily with CA, so I know for a fact that work is going on.

• Like 7

I don't mean by urban areas. I mean looking at the obvious coverage gaps all over the country where they cover and fixing those first. We all know where the weak spots are within our local areas. Sprint knows them too. Each weak spot gets ranked with how weak it is and how many people are affected by it. The highest ranked weak spots get the small cells first. Anyway, that's what I'd do.

See this Article: Inside the Plan to Pull Sprint Out of Its Death Spiral

Shortly after arriving, Claure began daily meetings about Sprint’s worst-performing cell sites—what the network team called the Top 10 S--- List. With about 20 executives around a table or dialing in, Claure brought up each site responsible for large numbers of dropped calls and asked how it would be fixed within 24 hours.

If a site was still on the list the next day, Claure would ask again: Should an antenna be tilted up or down or sideways, so it points toward more customers? Does Sprint need to add antennas, or use antennas with more bandwidth? “It was painful,” says John Saw, Sprint’s chief technology officer. “But it was good for getting the network fixed.”

I wonder if this is still going on in some respect... I hope so.

• Like 3

I bet they replaced this with the listening tour.  Marcelo seems to be really taking action in learning the pain points for customers.  I would say they're doing a good job so far, considering 3xCA is now active on some sites.

I bet they replaced this with the listening tour. Marcelo seems to be really taking action in learning the pain points for customers. I would say they're doing a good job so far, considering 3xCA is now active on some sites.

Is it? I haven't seen any evidence of more than 2 carriers on a site yet.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I bet they replaced this with the listening tour.  Marcelo seems to be really taking action in learning the pain points for customers.  I would say they're doing a good job so far, considering 3xCA is now active on some sites.

Speaking of the Listening Tour, check out this article which gives a nice play-by-play for one of his stops: Sprint is trying to fix its biggest problem

• Like 1

After reading this article, especially those charts, it really makes me think more strongly in favor of a Sprint/T-Mobile merger. Compared to Verizon and AT&T, those charts alone make it look like they don't have much of a chance without a merger.

Sure the FCC, wants competition, but by looking at this, no wonder why AT&T and Verizon's reactions to Sprint and T-Mobile's offers and promotions have been so little. I can totally understand Masa's thinking into knowing how badly the U.S. wireless market needs this merger.

Sprint has a video on 3X CA.  They claim 300mbps+!?  How is that possible given that we've seen 80mbps max per carrier?

Also wondering why they didn't show a speed test on the S7 itself on 3X CA :)

• Like 3

After reading this article, especially those charts, it really makes me think more strongly in favor of a Sprint/T-Mobile merger. Compared to Verizon and AT&T, those charts alone make it look like they don't have much of a chance without a merger.

Sure the FCC, wants competition, but by looking at this, no wonder why AT&T and Verizon's reactions to Sprint and T-Mobile's offers and promotions have been so little. I can totally understand Masa's thinking into knowing how badly the U.S. wireless market needs this merger.

Sprint has a video on 3X CA.  They claim 300mbps+!?  How is that possible given that we've seen 80mbps max per carrier?

300+MBps with 4x4 MIMO perhaps?

• Like 3

He seems like a nice guy! Much less arrogant than some of the T-Mobile executives from having watched their quarterly report videos. More to hoping Sprint buys T-Mobile and keeps on only Sprint executives.

Sprint isn't going to announce the deployment of every small cell or even a new macro site. In fact, I like the less is more approach, whereas in the past it seemed like a major press release was issued for things.

Let the network speak for itself, and continue to work daily. As for my market, I see sites coming up daily with CA, so I know for a fact that work is going on.

Yes, I hope that they do it quietly but surely.

By the way in this post, I really didn't mean to be critical of Sprint, as I like a lot of what they've been doing lately, as I've pointed out here on S4GRU many times recently. I'm only commenting here on what I perceived from the article.

Also to note, while I think these speeds are great and the COO in the video seems like a very nice, trustworthy person, especially in contrast to the snake oil salesman image some of the T-Mobile executives portray in the Quarterly Reports, the major issue seems to be money and how Sprint is going to be able to afford some of the stuff needing to be done beyond just implementing 3x ca. I definitely don't like how negative that Moffett guy is about Sprint, though now with Bloomberg mentioning the financial realities, I can't say that everything seems rosy with Sprint, in that regard.

I'm hoping that with the new administration that will completely trump the current one, hopefully, this merger will then be allowed. There is no doubt with the control of T-Mobile, Sprint will succeed. This is what Masa wants, and I'm hoping he gets it.

I have no idea what you are talking about...

Here in NYC, Sprint went from dead last, to what looks like either 1st or 2nd without the help of additional small cell or macro sites. 

The current heads of Sprint have already pointed the ship in the right direction. Its just a matter of executing current plans, (which they seem to be doing well)

What is beyond 3xCA? small cell/Additional Macro(being done) Dont know what is "Beyond"? 5G? (pie in the sky)

So, I personally do not want to hear anymore about Sprint/Tmobile mergers until its all said and done.

I didn't think they would and I'm not looking for it, who asked for it?   They are clearly working on CA because I have it all around where I live.  That however isn't the small cells and macro cells that there should probably more sightings of.  

They claim 300mbps+!?  How is that possible given that we've seen 80mbps max per carrier?

There's no reason they can't make the third carrier downlink-only.

There's no reason they can't make the third carrier downlink-only.

Well, actually there is. In order for B41 to work, all the carriers must have the same TDD ratio. Now, they can tweak that ratio to be more favorable for the download, but it would have to be the same across all the channels. 

• Like 3

Well, actually there is. In order for B41 to work, all the carriers must have the same TDD ratio. Now, they can tweak that ratio to be more favorable for the download, but it would have to be the same across all the channels. 

Isn't there a possibility of them pairing it with B25 for upload?

He seems like a nice guy! Much less arrogant than some of the T-Mobile executives from having watched their quarterly report videos. More to hoping Sprint buys T-Mobile and keeps on only Sprint executives.

Unless things change. It will be DT buying Sprints customers.

To be clear -- if either TMO or Sprint is allowed to merge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't there a possibility of them pairing it with B25 upload?

It was thrown around as an idea. Right now there is no way to do that. You would have to use B25 as the primary carrier, so unless you are able to get 10x10 everywhere, the primary download channel would be limited to 37Mbps down. 

• Like 1

Haven't been following too closely, but I would be happy that softbank is pursuing 600mhz and/or any other spectrum auctions, if for nothing else but to use as bargaining chips towards trades to improve/consolidate missing blocks into their existing tri-band reserves.

Sprint actually needs the low band.

I know many on here claim B41 is enough, but in real world usage its not. In San Antonio, Dallas and Houston, I only see B41 when I'm outdoors. Indoors, I usually camp on B25 40% of the time and B26 55% of the time. The other 5% is either LTE dead spot or a B41 tower that's really close by. That joke about B41 not penetrating a wet paper towel isn't that far fetched.

Low band or even mid band spectrum acquisition is probably the best thing Sprint can do. If not nationwide, at least for markets like Houston or Atlanta where there is no way to deploy a 2nd B25 carrier.

• Like 2

I have no idea what you are talking about...

Here in NYC, Sprint went from dead last, to what looks like either 1st or 2nd without the help of additional small cell or macro sites. 

The current heads of Sprint have already pointed the ship in the right direction. Its just a matter of executing current plans, (which they seem to be doing well)

What is beyond 3xCA? small cell/Additional Macro(being done) Dont know what is "Beyond"? 5G? (pie in the sky)

So, I personally do not want to hear anymore about Sprint/Tmobile mergers until its all said and done.

What I was referring to, as I mentioned clearly in my post, was to the financial situations Bloomberg alluded to. Again, also as I stated before, I'm not being critical of Sprint and its use of its technology, for which I've been very complimentary of. If you go back and read the post I wrote a bit more, you'll see where I stated this. I don't understand how it could be confusing, at all.

I know many on here claim B41 is enough, but in real world usage its not. In San Antonio, Dallas and Houston, I only see B41 when I'm outdoors. Indoors, I usually camp on B25 40% of the time and B26 55% of the time. The other 5% is either LTE dead spot or a B41 tower that's really close by. That joke about B41 not penetrating a wet paper towel isn't that far fetched.

Low band or even mid band spectrum acquisition is probably the best thing Sprint can do. If not nationwide, at least for markets like Houston or Atlanta where there is no way to deploy a 2nd B25 carrier.

Sprint has been taking steps where they can to re-align PCS spectrum with the G Block so that they can expand the original LTE carrier to a 10x10 carrier. I'm not familiar with the spectrum situation in Houston, it may not be possible there, but Sprint is taking steps to work on the issues you see.

Also, B41 does have better propagation properties than you like to claim. Now, in your example, it's possible the network is just not dense enough, or is still relying too heavily on Clearwire equipment. But when I visit Kansas City, I am on B41 >95% of the time outdoors, and probably 80% of the time indoors. And that is without adding additional macro and small cells. 

• Like 7

Unless things change. It will be DT buying Sprints customers.

To be clear -- if either TMO or Sprint is allowed to merge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nono. I don't want DT to buy Sprint. I want Sprint to buy T-Mobile, as it would help Sprint's financials long-term and help them to better compete with AT&T and Verizon. The Bloomberg article was excellent in pointing out why this is important to Sprint, and also gave a good look at the wireless situation here in the U.S., particularly in the various graphs it showed of the differences between the carriers. It is clear this merger would be good, but I'm definitely in support of Sprint owning, not DT, and definitely not with T-Mobile in charge, meaning no T-Mobile executives. My posts have been very clear on this, and I've done pretty well making most of them short enough to read lately.

• Like 1

Both companies are leaps and bounds beyond where they were a year or two ago.  Both companies can (now) step in and beef up their low-band spectrum holdings.

Just zip it with the merger talk, please.  

• Like 3

Here in NYC, its like 95% outdoors, 85% indoors. And this is using NYC's PCS spacing (which granted is pretty dense). So it sounds like densification is more in order around your neck of the woods. 

People need to stop sleeping on Band 41..

• Like 1

Here in NYC, its like 95% outdoors, 85% indoors. And this is using NYC's PCS spacing (which granted is pretty dense). So it sounds like densification is more in order around your neck of the woods.

People need to stop sleeping on Band 41..

Within the city limits of Baltimore, band 41 is pretty decent. But Sprints density outside of urban areas in Maryland mean you spend a lot of time on band 26...even outdoors. They still don't have complete LTE coverage on I-95...need more towers. It's going to be a slow climb up the hill in some areas...which is why I think it's smart for them to hit hard in urban high density areas first, then focus on the rest. Fixing the cities will help subscriber numbers more than suburbs or rural.

• Like 1