Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

So I am assuming you will have to pay more monthly if you are on one of the newer plans. I don't really get the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I am assuming you will have to pay more monthly if you are on one of the newer plans. I don't really get the point.

This is mainly for the folks on Legacy Plans...

If you're on a new plan with a subsidized device, you'll pay a $25/month Subsidized Device Fee. Over 24 Months, that's $600!

This is mainly for the folks on Legacy Plans...

If you're on a new plan with a subsidized device, you'll pay a $25/month Subsidized Device Fee. Over 24 Months, that's $600!

Yeah but people on legacy plans never had two years taken away from them. They where offered loyalty credits to inciting them but they weren't forced from them. To my knowledge at least.

• Like 3

Yeah but people on legacy plans never had two years taken away from them. They where offered loyalty credits to inciting them but they weren't forced from them. To my knowledge at least.

As I recall, Subsidized Upgrades were being offered on a reactive basis for upgrades and add-a-lines.

• Like 1

Did you read the same article I did? Google will be releasing an RCS client that will work across many Android devices. Google embedding RCS into Android is never mentioned except as something that they won't be doing.

"It is telling that Google has decided to develop a client, rather than to embed RCS natively in the Android OS," said Ovum analyst Pamela Clark-Dickson. "This may be an acknowledgement that embedding RCS natively in the Android OS would be a lengthier and more complex process. However, operators and OEMs will be able to preinstall the Android RCS client on devices and updates can be driven from Google Play. Although telcos will not have to encourage their customers to download an app, they will still need to persuade them to use the new RCS features."

I had read the title as they were developing an embedded solution that would the default cross-carrier SMS replacement, similar to how iMessage is the default messenger/SMS replacement on iOS devices and also allows for cross-platform.

Google had it with Hangouts, just needed to bake it into their OS and get the carriers behind it.

• Like 1

My observations for 2016 rootmetrics:

All 4 carriers experience decrease in data speed especially Tmobile and Att.  It looks like very soon Tmobile and Att will experience network congestion unless they spend a huge amount of money like Verizon toward small cells to increase capacity and coverage. So far, Verizon is able to keep this problem under control because the amount of money they are spending toward densification. Sprint is lucky enough to have enough spectrum for the next few years.  

I had read the title as they were developing an embedded solution that would the default cross-carrier SMS replacement, similar to how iMessage is the default messenger/SMS replacement on iOS devices and also allows for cross-platform.

Google had it with Hangouts, just needed to bake it into their OS and get the carriers behind it.

Easier said than done.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Sprint's Wi-Fi offloading at airports grows to 22M customers, will expand to Boost, Virgin

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-wi-fi-offloading-grows-22m-customers-will-expand-boost-virgin/2016-02-26

This always used to be an android-only thing (or at least when it first was announced as 'working')

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my Iphone automagically connected to the Passpoint Secure wifi network all over Ohare this week.  Sub 5ms pings, and 30-40mb downoad and upload speeds virtually everwhere I checked.  Worked extremely smoothly.

• Like 7

And on that topic - its hilarious that Tmobile idiots are already blowing the comments section up on that article.  Instead of asking why their speeds and coverage at airports is subpar - they'd rather blast Sprint for offering a better experience to their customers... FOR FREE.

• Like 3

And on that topic - its hilarious that Tmobile idiots are already blowing the comments section up on that article.  Instead of asking why their speeds and coverage at airports is subpar - they'd rather blast Sprint for offering a better experience to their customers... FOR FREE.

Whiners are going to whine....

• Like 3

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/google-build-rcs-android-sprint-only-us-carrier-voicing-support/2016-02-24

Glad Sprint is on board early. 1 down 3 to go.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Sounds like a mess to me. You know Google will screw it up. Just add another item to the following quote from the article:

...the messaging functions on the Android platform, which he said are spread across Google's Hangouts, Messenger and Voice and are a "jumbled mess."

And if carriers decide to try to monetize it, just write it off now.

Edited by Grabber5.0

This always used to be an android-only thing (or at least when it first was announced as 'working')

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my Iphone automagically connected to the Passpoint Secure wifi network all over Ohare this week. Sub 5ms pings, and 30-40mb downoad and upload speeds virtually everwhere I checked. Worked extremely smoothly.

I've never had luck connecting. Not sure why.

I was pleasantly surprised. I usually just turn off wifi when I get to airports because I hate clicking through the pages to get 30 minutes for free. Just happened to forget to turn it off this week and saw it was connected. Neat stuff. After further reading, it sounds like Ohare was/is sort of the test bed for the Passpoint Secure network stuff. Impressive regardless.

• Like 2

A few weeks after Sprint raised the price of customers' $50 unlimited plans to $60 (while adding 3GB hotspot), they're apparently getting ready to do the same to "select users" on the $60 unlimited plan, adding hotspot and raising the price to $70, which is still less than the current price of $75.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/482nsk/60_unlimited_plan_users_check_your_march_bill/

As I mentioned in the Reddit thread, being able to raise a customer's price without worrying about contracts is a big reason why carriers wanted to end the contract pricing model.

• Like 3

A few weeks after Sprint raised the price of customers' $50 unlimited plans to $60 (while adding 3GB hotspot), they're apparently getting ready to do the same to "select users" on the $60 unlimited plan, adding hotspot and raising the price to $70, which is still less than the current price of $75.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/482nsk/60_unlimited_plan_users_check_your_march_bill/

As I mentioned in the Reddit thread, being able to raise a customer's price without worrying about contracts is a big reason why carriers wanted to end the contract pricing model.

$10 is not bad to be honest but they should tread a little light on the price increases only because of the rep Sprint has that people won't let go. The first thing that will be screamed is "they're charging me more, Sprint can't be trusted" I would assume sprint will notify those who are indeed getting the price increase.

• Like 1

$10 is not bad to be honest but they should tread a little light on the price increases only because of the rep Sprint has that people won't let go. The first thing that will be screamed is "they're charging me more, Sprint can't be trusted" I would assume sprint will notify those who are indeed getting the price increase.

$10 per line is $120 a year for 1 line. If you have four lines on your account, your yearly bill just went up $480.  That is a pretty steep increase. And to put it in a percentage, that is a 16.7% increase.

• Like 5

$10 per line is $120 a year for 1 line. If you have four lines on your account, your yearly bill just went up $480. That is a pretty steep increase. And to put it in a percentage, that is a 16.7% increase.

It's an actual decrease if you move to the $150 family unlimited. For example you would be paying $240 just in line charges if you had 4 lines on this. Which would make no sense.

• Like 1

And that is how wireless service should work.  You can enter or leave at will.  Sprint can raise or lower prices at will.

For an analogy, I do not have a two year contract for $1.57/gal gas -- though I would accept that offer without hesitation.  My favorite restaurant can increase the price of my favorite dish.  Costs and prices fluctuate.

If you do not like it, tough nuts.  Go find a less expensive alternative.  Or tell people to stop using so much "unlimited" data.  Because that "unlimited" data usage is going through the roof and becoming more expensive to support at the CAPEX level.

AJ

• Like 3

And that is how wireless service should work.  You can enter or leave at will.  Sprint can raise or lower prices at will.

For an analogy, I do not have a two year contract for $1.57/gal gas -- though I would accept that offer without hesitation.  My favorite restaurant can increase the price of my favorite dish.  Costs and prices fluctuate.

If you do not like it, tough nuts.  Go find a less expensive alternative.  Or tell people to stop using so much "unlimited" data.  Because that "unlimited" data usage is going through the roof and becoming more expensive to support at the CAPEX level.

AJ

Yes, this is the new non-contract world.

• Like 1