Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Big news:

Sprint Demonstrates Speeds of More Than 300 Mbps on Samsung Galaxy S7

Sprint prepares for three-channel carrier aggregation in LTE Plus markets across the country

Exciting news indeed! With this public announcement I expect to see 3x CA very soon. Early as next month

• Like 1

Also where did you get confirmation of the S7 being 2x2, every single place I have seen confirms the X12 supports 4x4MIMO.

Fcc comfirms 2x2. Just because the chip supports it does not mean it will have it. Case and point no quick charge 3.0 even though technically it can do it.

Fcc comfirms 2x2. Just because the chip supports it does not mean it will have it. Case and point no quick charge 3.0 even though technically it can do it.

I find it difficult to believe Sprint's sacrificing more upload for faster downloads..

Unless of course 2xCA Uplink...

• Like 1

I find it difficult to believe Sprint's sacrificing more upload for faster downloads..

Why so difficult?

We've reportedly stated they sprint has been investigating moving to a more downlink oriented configuration after the wimax shut down.

Downlink is predominately what's congested in mobile carriers.

Almost no one ever complains about band 25/26 upload being crap but many notice when band 25 or 26 downlink is crap.

Furthermore 300 Mbps down by 3 carrier aggregation is doable by switching the TDD configurations to config 2 which has theoretical speeds of 112/9 compared to config 1 which is 82/17.

Think of it as the TDD let network going from a 10 mhz FDD lte carrier to a 15 MHZ FDD lte carrier on the downlink speeds.

• Like 2

On Reddit, I read that the new maximum upload speed would be 9 with maximum theoretical up to 300.

If this is true, I wonder how this will effect Rootmetrics results (if upload/download are weighted evenly).

Also where did you get confirmation of the S7 being 2x2, every single place I have seen confirms the X12 supports 4x4MIMO.

FCC as mentioned already. Here's the filing. Also there is no uplink CA

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=AR4en7WJpgKHSJOXYVSLmA%3D%3D&fcc_id=A3LSMG930US

Why so difficult?

We've reportedly stated they sprint has been investigating moving to a more downlink oriented configuration after the wimax shut down.

Almost no one ever complains about band 25/26 upload being crap but many notice when band 25 or 26 downlink is crap.

When sending an email with attachments (photos, etc), a slow upload speed is definitely frustrating.... and this congestion is more likely to happen as device cameras become higher resolution.

• Like 3

Why so difficult?

Furthermore 300 Mbps down by 3 carrier aggregation is doable by switching the TDD configurations to config 2 which has theoretical speeds of 112/9 compared to config 1 which is 82/17.

Think of it as the TDD let network going from a 10 mhz FDD lte carrier to a 15 MHZ FDD lte carrier on the downlink speeds.

Im assuming less time on download will help relieve uploads in general due to the shared nature of TDD, so maybe in real world application this makes sense.

But it is a slight concern to see a 100mbs download and a 1mb upload.

As I was driving to work this morning I had a few thoughts:

1. I'm switching back to Sprint from TMO after they send me my Visa card to pay off my EIP because I see no real difference in the network where I live.

2. Does Marcelo use Sprint as his main service provider? What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. welcome back!

2. I can guarantee it

• Like 1

When sending an email with attachments (photos, etc), a slow upload speed is definitely frustrating.... and this congestion is more likely to happen as device cameras become higher resolution.

Basic primer you should read up on.

http://networks.nokia.com/system/files/document/nsn_td_lte_frame_configuration_wp.pdf

• Like 2

Why so difficult?

One thing I'm worried about is typically when I see b41 indoors it's usually a weaker signal.  A weak signal with a low theoretical max upload might make upload speeds look like 3g upload speeds.

One thing I'm worried about is typically when I see b41 indoors it's usually a weaker signal.  A weak signal with a low theoretical max upload might make upload speeds look like 3g upload speeds.

Or unusable in general. I have seen this happen at the edge of band 41 indoors. Download will still be in the 20's but upload will either timeout or only be around 1mbps. Whenever devices start to receive 4 antennas (4x4 MIMO) it should solve this problem. 

• Like 1

That's the downside with any UE really. 

All the new eNB and antenna technology advancements really serve to increase performance off the signal from the towers. The limitation though is still and will always be the UE since the transmit power is severely restricted. 

Why? you press send and do something else and it sends in the background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why cant sprint use 64 QAM 1 config on uplink to increase the it to 30 uplink? Is there a technical reason for this?

You need an absurd level of a clean signal and need UEs that can do 64QAM Tx. Practically no UEs, other than several high powered laptop dongles, are capable of 64QAM Tx so there's that. 

• Like 2

Or unusable in general. I have seen this happen at the edge of band 41 indoors. Download will still be in the 20's but upload will either timeout or only be around 1mbps. Whenever devices start to receive 4 antennas (4x4 MIMO) it should solve this problem. 

Yeah I've seen that too.  In my house I can get a weak b41 signal in some rooms and that'll get me about 10Mb/s download speeds, but uploads will be less than 1Mb/s or time out like you said.  When I bounce off of b41 it'll switch to overloaded b26 where I'll get 1-2Mb/s download but uploads are about 4Mb/s.  It's not a big deal at home because I have wifi, but when I go to the gym my phone will camp on a weak b41 signal that sometimes will time out if I try to speedtest (and I speedtest because websites aren't loading).

That's the downside with any UE really. 

All the new eNB and antenna technology advancements really serve to increase performance off the signal from the towers. The limitation though is still and will always be the UE since the transmit power is severely restricted. 

Hopefully Sprint's densification project is in full swing and it'll solve the upload issue before it becomes a problem.  But even then, you'd figure with enough densification and the amount of spectrum Sprint has that download speeds won't be an issue unless there's a coverage issue.  Reading the NSN white paper you posted, switching configurations from Configuration 1 to Configuration 2 would mean 30% higher average download speeds but at a cost of half the upload speeds.

• Like 1

Hopefully Sprint's densification project is in full swing and it'll solve the upload issue before it becomes a problem. But even then, you'd figure with enough densification and the amount of spectrum Sprint has that download speeds won't be an issue unless there's a coverage issue. Reading the NSN white paper you posted, switching configurations from Configuration 1 to Configuration 2 would mean 30% higher average download speeds but at a cost of half the upload speeds.

The way I see it Sprint has 5 options.

1. Find a way to do band 25 uplink CA

2. 4x4 MIMO

3. NGN is done so well that the problem never gets out of control.

4. Sprint configures the network to sense a overloaded uplink and switches you to a band with the best uplink.

5. Sprint fails and upload speeds becomes unusable on band 41

Either way there is no easy way out of this but option 4 to me seems to be the best course for the immediate future.

• Like 1

The way I see it Sprint has 5 options.

1. Find a way to do band 25 uplink CA

2. 4x4 MIMO

3. NGN is done so well that the problem never gets out of control.

4. Sprint configures the network to sense a overloaded uplink and switches you to a band with the best uplink.

5. Sprint fails and upload speeds becomes unusable on band 41

Either way there is no easy way out of this but option 4 to me seems to be the best course for the immediate future.

Aren't they going to do option 1? Didn't Marcelo say that band 41 will be used for uplink and band 25 for uplink

Aren't they going to do option 1? Didn't Marcelo say that band 41 will be used for uplink and band 25 for uplink

I recall seeing this here: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-bring-carrier-aggregation-all-its-lte-bands-bid-boost-performance/2015-02-05

Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure said implementing carrier aggregation across all Sprint spectrum bands means Sprint eventually will be able to deploy 1900 MHz FDD-LTE for uplink and 2.5 GHz TD-LTE for downlink, and ultimately improve the coverage of 2.5 GHz LTE to levels that its 1900 MHz spectrum currently achieves. Carrier aggregation, which is the most well-known and widely used technique of the LTE Advanced standard, bonds together disparate bands of spectrum to create wider channels and produce more capacity and faster speeds.

Doing that CA with PCS is going to be a long time down the road.  I think PCS would need some new hardware to be able to do that. Don't think the current LTE Release on PCS can support that CA configuration.  

It would be good to do SMR/PCS CA as well for when B41 isn't around, like in buildings.  At least in markets that are stuck with 5x5 PCS like mine.

As far as upload goes, I think by the time Sprint could get around to CA PCS+BRS/EBS, the number of 3x2/2x2 CA devices will help offset upload load on B41 from all the 1xCA only devices on the ul. Sprint can do 3x3 at the tower and with proper load balancing, the PCS+BRS/EBS CA might be really only left for towers that are remaining to continue to have ul issues and provided that PCS doesn't have ul congestion itself.  So do more targeted deployments which might be rare.  And even then, maybe Sprint would just toss up another set of B41 antennas to deploy even more spectrum and just load balance off it, change up dl/ul ration.

IIRC I think Sprint is/was also wanting to make B41 dl/up ratio dynamically change based on load.  So if more upload was needed, it could change the dl/ul ratio on the fly to help improve experience.