Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Sprint Announces Joint Venture with Dixons Carphone

Plans to open up to 500 Sprint-branded retail stores nationwide.

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), February 29, 2016 - Sprint (NYSE:S) and Dixons Carphone, the leading European wireless and consumer electronics retailer, today formally announced a joint venture to open and operate up to 500 new Sprint-branded stores across the U.S. The agreement comes after a successful pilot program launched last year, which resulted in strong sales performance and increased customer satisfaction ratings at pilot retail stores in trial markets. The joint venture is expected to help fuel Sprint’s retail transformation, including the expansion of its retail store footprint.

Under the agreement, Sprint and Dixons Carphone Connected World Services (CWS) division will build and operate new Sprint stores in multiple U.S. markets. The two companies will fund the startup costs of the joint venture equally and will each have 50 percent ownership interest.

I guess the pilot program from last year went well? Does Sprint really need more retail locations? Perhaps if they could build a new tower site at each one?

• Like 1

And that is how wireless service should work. You can enter or leave at will. Sprint can raise or lower prices at will.

For an analogy, I do not have a two year contract for $1.57/gal gas -- though I would accept that offer without hesitation. My favorite restaurant can increase the price of my favorite dish. Costs and prices fluctuate.

If you do not like it, tough nuts. Go find a less expensive alternative. Or tell people to stop using so much "unlimited" data. Because that "unlimited" data usage is going through the roof and becoming more expensive to support at the CAPEX level.

AJ

Correct!

Hopefully it has a nice churn effect.

As far as unlimited data being too expensive- I doubt that is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprint Announces Joint Venture with Dixons Carphone

Plans to open up to 500 Sprint-branded retail stores nationwide.

I guess the pilot program from last year went well? Does Sprint really need more retail locations? Perhaps if they could build a new tower site at each one?

Sprint has some of the lowest retail doors compared to the other three, of course they need more locations.

Sprint has some of the lowest retail doors compared to the other three, of course they need more locations.

I thought the Sprint/RadioShack deal resulted in an additional 1,435 store locations... Is Sprint still behind in locations versus the other 3 after that?

As of July 2015, Sprint had 4,500 locations, "making it one of the largest retailers in the U.S."

I cant tell. There is only one tmobile store in my entire county and countless metro pcs stores but sprint has 3 retail stores, 3 radio shacks and countless boost mobiles.

I cant tell. There is only one tmobile store in my entire county and countless metro pcs stores but sprint has 3 retail stores, 3 radio shacks and countless boost mobiles.

I'm noticing a lot of MetroPCS stores lately. I think we have at least 4 MetroPCS stores in my city and maybe 1 Sprint store.

I'm noticing a lot of MetroPCS stores lately. I think we have at least 4 MetroPCS stores in my city and maybe 1 Sprint store.

I'd assume the majority of the metro and tmo stores are 3rd party. Rather than T-Mobile owned.

I'd assume the majority of the metro and tmo stores are 3rd party. Rather than T-Mobile owned.

In SF there is literally a T-Mobile store across the street from a Metro store, in what's now a high rent area, unless they're locked into a long term lease.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I thought the Sprint/RadioShack deal resulted in an additional 1,435 store locations... Is Sprint still behind in locations versus the other 3 after that?

As of July 2015, Sprint had 4,500 locations, "making it one of the largest retailers in the U.S."

Depends on the market. I know they are behind in mine.

• Like 1

You do realize you linked to a Reddit post that links back to S4GRU right?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I just realized it links back to S4GRU if you click the picture. Do you want me to delete the post?

My observations for 2016 rootmetrics:

All 4 carriers experience decrease in data speed especially Tmobile and Att. It looks like very soon Tmobile and Att will experience network congestion unless they spend a huge amount of money like Verizon toward small cells to increase capacity and coverage. So far, Verizon is able to keep this problem under control because the amount of money they are spending toward densification. Sprint is lucky enough to have enough spectrum for the next few years.

Sprint's Wi-Fi offloading at airports grows to 22M customers, will expand to Boost, Virgin

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-wi-fi-offloading-grows-22m-customers-will-expand-boost-virgin/2016-02-26

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Which this spectrum swap in numerous markets, I wonder how long it'll be before markets with only 5x5 on B25 become 10x10?

After it's approved by the FCC it'll probably take several weeks to organize logistics with other carriers and do the necessary spectrum shuffling to activate 10x10.

I assume to fire up 3xCA can be done remotely?

Yes. Additional carriers are configured via software.

As Sprint nears an eighth straight year in the red, the mobile operator is carrying $34 billion in debt—more than twice its market value. Chairman Masayoshi Son, whose uber-carrier SoftBank took control of Sprint in 2013, has a plan to start paying off those debts. It’s a little like borrowing against the tires to make car payments.

According to Sprint Chief Financial Officer Tarek Robbiati, the proposal is to create another subsidiary of Son’s Japanese corporation that will lend Sprint money. The new unit plans to accept the carrier’s wireless equipment and some of its rights to slices of the wireless spectrum as collateral. Sprint says that while it won’t give up control of those precious airwaves—worth more than $115 billion, according to Bloomberg Intelligence—it’s aiming for $3 billion to $5 billion this year from these loans.

As Sprint nears an eighth straight year in the red, the mobile operator is carrying $34 billion in debt—more than twice its market value. Chairman Masayoshi Son, whose uber-carrier SoftBank took control of Sprint in 2013, has a plan to start paying off those debts. It’s a little like borrowing against the tires to make car payments.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-02/sprint-s-plan-to-mortgage-its-airwaves

• Like 3