Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Why would he want to own 100% of it? He wishes he never bought it at this point and has already shopped it around. Also SoftBank itself hadn't been doing very well. Its stock is down as a result. Adding the rest of Sprint won't help.

I think he will increase rather than decrease his investment, I think he underestimated the challenge.  He obviously underestimated the regulatory environment of the united states, that's why the planned t mobile acquisition stalled out so quickly.  I believe with the proper investment and management sprint can become the #1 or #2 network in the country, it wont be an easy goal to hit as the competition definitely is not sitting still, but they certainly have the spectrum resources.  They just need to execute, and that is something that i feel sprint has not done, in many many many years at least not at the same level as the competition.  But the fight is not over, its only just begun.        

• Like 1

Earnings on the 26th of this month, next Tuesday. Hopefully we're left with more answers than questions.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-corporation-schedules-third-fiscal-quarter-2015-results-announcement.htm

I'll bet this date was moved up by a week or two due to the recent news articles.

I'll bet this date was moved up by a week or two due to the recent news articles.

Agree. Sprint isnt typically this prompt.

In any case, the current perceived "state of affairs" has been created by sparse information and a typical "worst case scenario" speculation that tends to follow everything the carrier does or doesnt do. Its an unfortunate, always negative spin that is often sprints worst enemy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. Sprint isnt typically this prompt.

In any case, the current perceived "state of affairs" has been created by sparse information and a typical "worst case scenario" speculation that tends to follow everything the carrier does or doesnt do. Its an unfortunate, always negative spin that is often sprints worst enemy

Yeah, this is a very quick announcement for a 3rd Quarter 2015 Earnings Call. Less than 1 week of notice.

For comparison to past practice, Sprint announced on January, 16th 2015 that it would hold its 3rd Quarter 2014 Earnings call on February 5, 2015

Interesting.

• Like 1

What else does Marcelo have to do to "right the ship" at this point?

It has nothing to do with the stock price. Which is what most of you are freaking out about. It's more about cash flow and positive subscriber gains. Over a sustained and measurable period. It's about getting these cost savings realized.

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

It has nothing to do with the stock price. Which is what most of you are freaking out about. It's more about cash flow and positive subscriber gains. Over a sustained and measurable period. It's about getting these cost savings realized.

The debt issue is real, which is what the stock price is reacting to. The problem is sprint isn't going to be able to borrow to refinance their debt from the high yield markets any way. Now from what I read is that the bond holders have no claim on sprint assets if they default (how sprint pulled that off I don't know) which means I think sprint is under valued right now (just a guess not advise). I hope tower lease co will off set the concern but who knows the market is tanking in general and there is a good chance we are heading to recession.

• Like 1

Yeah, this is a very quick announcement for a 3Q2015 Earnings Call. Less than 1 week of notice.

For comparison to past practice, Sprint announced on January, 16th 2015 that it would hold its 3Q2014 Earnings call on February 5, 2015

Interesting.

completely agree with you.  Normally this report is due in the first or second week of Feb, now they move it to January.  I am pretty sure they want to contain the fire before it gets out of control.  Here are a few things that I believe they should confirm: Son's commitment, something definitive about NGN, how far along with cost reduction initiative, revenue stabilizing and post adds. Investors expect positive report since they move it 1 to 2 weeks early.  Else it is massacre all over again and sprint will fall below 2.

• Like 1

completely agree with you. Normally this report is due in the first or second week of Feb, now they move it to January. I am pretty sure they want to contain the fire before it gets out of control. Here are a few things that I believe they should confirm: Son's commitment, something definitive about NGN, how far along with cost reduction initiative, revenue stabilizing and post adds. Investors expect positive report since they move it 1 to 2 weeks early. Else it is massacre all over again and sprint will fall below 2.

Masa need to be on the call again... to confirm that he will not sale sprint and he gives them 100% of his support

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The debt issue is real, which is what the stock price is reacting to. The problem is sprint isn't going to be able to borrow to refinance their debt from the high yield markets any way. Now from what I read is that the bond holders have no claim on sprint assets if they default (how sprint pulled that off I don't know) which means I think sprint is under valued right now (just a guess not advise). I hope tower lease co will off set the concern but who knows the market is tanking in general and there is a good chance we are heading to recession.

I didn't say the debt issue is not real. But it is a known issue for a long time. My response was to the question of what further would Masa be waiting for before he would bring more capital in...you know, the whole, 'no more cash without righting the ship' thingee.

I've never said that Sprint debt has no impact in the stock value loss.

• Like 2

Sprint stock at $2 and 50 and steady declining.... Softbank stock took a 18% hit any opinions what will sprint have to do to stay above water

A stock price declining doesn't mean an increased risk of imminent demise. Doesn't work that way.
  • Like 2

A stock price declining doesn't mean an increased risk of imminent demise. Doesn't work that way.

I know it's an immediate life or death situation, but i was part of the radioshack chain when it went bankrupt...same thing as it turned into a penny stock radioshack was never able to recover.

I know it's an immediate life or death situation, but i was part of the radioshack chain when it went bankrupt...same thing as it turned into a penny stock radioshack was never able to recover.

Not the same story, though. In general, the price of a stock declines when investors lose confidence in a company. They assign a lower overall value to the business. In Radio Shack's case, it was because the business was on the ropes and at risk for imminent bankruptcy. In another recent example, Chipotle's stock has lost value because of a food safety scare and a temporary reduction in revenue; Chipotle is NOT, however, on the ropes.

Stock investing 101: the market value of a company is determined by the share price multiplied by the number of shares outstanding. In a perfect world, this market value is exactly equal to the net present value of all future earnings. Of course, the market is a fickle b!tch and that's where you see departures from "rational" valuations.

Sprint faces monumental challenges, true. And yes, the collapsing junk bond market plays a big role in the current price of S, as the market has lost confidence that Sprint can roll over its 2016 maturities at all - much less at a reasonable cost. However, all is not lost. It is important at this stage to take a look at the next quarterly earnings announcement next week and figure out where Sprint is at in terms of cost reductions and subscriber growth. Those are the only points that should matter to a serious investor.

Finally, none of this should matter to a non-investor. If you're a customer and the service is good, stick with it. If not, don't.

• Like 6

All I want from this quarterly call is (I might be asking for a lot but here it goes):

-NGN update - exactly how many sites they plan to deploy by EOY, where are they now as far as employment, and which markets can expect to see it first

-WiMAX Shutdown / 3x Band 41 CA - this falls under NGN but details on when the roll out of Band 41 3x CA will start

-How many POPs are they covering with LTE (both LTE and Spark (LTE Plus) now with LTE roaming and roaming +

Bonus : A Dish Partnership lol

Honestly I just want Marcelo to be very open and honest. I think the problem with Sprint now is they are to quiet with their goals and it's making people worried. I understand Marcelo doesn't want to announce all of his goals because if he's not able to achieve one, he will be ridicule just like Hesse but he needs to start being more transparent with their goals.

Also I would like for them to end all promotional plans and just keep the new Family Share.

- SN I just finished my homework assignments and my brain is fried, so please don't come for my grammatical errors lol.

• Like 3

Honestly I just want Marcelo to be very open and honest. I think the problem with Sprint now is they are to quiet with their goals and it's making people worried. I understand Marcelo doesn't want to announce all of his goals because if he's not able to achieve one, he will be ridicule just like Hesse but he needs to start being more transparent with their goals.

Part of the problem with this is that what you're asking for here is exactly what has gotten Sprint into trouble numerous times. By not stating a goal, no one can keep tabs on them 24/7.

If they give a conservative estimate, people will say that the NGN project is going to take too long. If they say it's going to happen quickly, they're obligated to hit that goal and if they don't hit the goal the project will be seen as another failure. Personally, I think it's in their best interest if they stay a bit hush about it and let the results speak for themselves.

• Like 7

So, I can't find the open world thread but I am in Iceland on the open world plan and my iPhone has no service. Ran though international chat and they gave up and told me to chat back when tech. Support is up... Anyone have any ideas... I have reset network setting, manually connected to the roaming partner and nothing!

• Like 1

See this very interesting video from Sprint. Güenther Ottenforfer and John Saw respond directly to the recent negative news reports about Network spending and explain why they've been so quiet:

Episode 3: Special edition of the Harrison Wiley Show with Güenther Ottenforfer and John Saw

They directly responded to the questions the pundits, analysts and public have been asking:

Sprint's not slowing down its network build. It is moving full speed ahead;

Sprint's maintaining its strategy is to densify the network;

Sprint's network build will not be disruptive to the customer experience.

So you either take them at their word on this or not.

Sprint has been releasing these "Harrison Wiley Show" videos on its "Yellow Fan Studios" YouTube Channel (Says "Sprint Creative Media" in fine print at the end).

Here are other videos from the series:

Episode 1: The Harrison Wiley Show with Güenther Ottendorfer

Episode 2: The Harison Wiley Show - Episode 2 with Güenther Ottendorfer

• Like 7

All I want from this quarterly call is (I might be asking for a lot but here it goes):

-NGN update - exactly how many sites they plan to deploy by EOY, where are they now as far as employment, and which markets can expect to see it first

-WiMAX Shutdown / 3x Band 41 CA - this falls under NGN but details on when the roll out of Band 41 3x CA will start

-How many POPs are they covering with LTE (both LTE and Spark (LTE Plus) now with LTE roaming and roaming +

Bonus : A Dish Partnership lol

Also I would like for them to end all promotional plans and just keep the new Family Share.

- SN I just finished my homework assignments and my brain is fried, so please don't come for my grammatical errors lol.

Some of your questions were addressed in the recent Harrison Wiley video. Hopefully the others are addressed in the upcoming 3Q2015 Earnings Call on Tuesday.

John Saw and Güenther Ottenforfer made it clear that they didn't want to give away the playbook to the competition. John also said they want to "do more and talk less." Both agreed there's "secret sauce" that they don't want to talk about for competitive reasons.

Wow: Look at how Sprint's improving, while T-Mobile just absolutely plummeted to ZERO since September 2015 in that Nielsen Market Speed Rank Wins (# of Markets with #1 LTE Speed Ranking) Chart at 2:46 in the video. BingeOn looks like it has been a disaster for their network.

• Like 4

Who knows what's next. The current political climate is not conducive to a merger (this may change after the November elections). I doubt Sprint will get bailed out by the government. My guess is SoftBank will either increase or scale back their investment (depending on how committed they are) within the next 3-6 months.

I mentioned this in the investing thread, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Marcelo gets the boot in 2016. Nothing but the network has seen any improvement in his tenure thus far, and most other sectors of the business have regressed in my opinion.

Are you serious? What are you basing the last opinion on? 

Some of your questions were addressed in the recent Harrison Wiley video. Hopefully the others are addressed in the upcoming 3Q2015 Earnings Call on Tuesday.

John Saw and Güenther Ottenforfer made it clear that they didn't want to give away the playbook to the competition. John also said they want to "do more and talk less." Both agreed there's "secret sauce" that they don't want to talk about for competitive reasons.

Wow: Look at how Sprint's improving, while T-Mobile just absolutely plummeted to ZERO since September 2015 in that Nielsen Market Speed Rank Wins (# of Markets with #1 LTE Speed Ranking) Chart at 2:46 in the video. BingeOn looks like it has been a disaster for their network.

I think what's most amazing is how quickly they managed to fall to 0 awards for 1st place. In a span of 4 months or so, they went from 1st place to last.

The timing of the decrease in performance and BingeOn's rise couldn't be a coincidence.

• Like 2

That video just gave me more confidence, like a pep talk after a 3-8 season but you still feel like your going to at least get the wildcard to have a shot at the championship. When they said talk less and do more. That was a standing ovation.

• Like 3