Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

People have been saying those exact words since 2012 and Sprint is still here and better than before so...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I normally would agree with you, but being in the rollercoaster/gamibling finance industry I am even getting concerned about the ability of Sprint/SoftBank to raise the necessary capital to complete NGN. That said, all it takes is another positive earnings report to change the story.

Marcelo is the most competent and empowered manager Sprint has had in a decade. The key word there is empowered... I truly believe if Dan had blanket authority to clean house Sprint would be in a much different position today. Large, lumbering organizations rarely last a long time unless you're a bank.  :P

• Like 4

We all need to keep perspective here.  Nobody would be shitting razor blades if it wasnt for the re/code article that has been called into question by multiple outlets.

Sprint's silence on the matter is a bit concerning, but I'm fairly sure they stay mum on that type of stuff anyway.

• Like 3

I normally would agree with you, but being in the rollercoaster/gamibling finance industry I am even getting concerned about the ability of Sprint/SoftBank to raise the necessary capital to complete NGN. That said, all it takes is another positive earnings report to change the story.

Sprint is in the process of setting up a Network Leasing Company entity to provide funding for NGN, just like the Mobile Leasing Solutions entity was set up for handset leasing. These entities can tap additional funding as needed it seems.

Marcelo is the most competent and empowered manager Sprint has had in a decade. The key word there is empowered... I truly believe if Dan had blanket authority to clean house Sprint would be in a much different position today. Large, lumbering organizations rarely last a long time unless you're a bank.   :P

I agree. It's a shame Dan Hesse had to fight such headwinds and incompetence during his tenure. LTE Plus (and NGN subsequently) wouldn't exist without Network Vision, and Dan was hustled out the door by Masa by the time benefits were being realized from that. Marcelo had the full support and backing of Masa to clean house, and it shows.

• Like 1

We all need to keep perspective here.  Nobody would be shitting razor blades if it wasnt for the re/code article that has been called into question by multiple outlets.

Sprint's silence on the matter is a bit concerning, but I'm fairly sure they stay mum on that type of stuff anyway.

They have to as far as I know. They can't comment on earnings before they are released.

They have to as far as I know. They can't comment on earnings before they are released.

I'm not talking about earnings.  I'm talking about re/code's first three paragraphs suggesting that Sprint is about to embark on a 'radical overhaul' of its network:

Sprint has finalized plans for a radical overhaul of its cellular network that is expected to save the carrier up to $1 billion, Re/code has learned.

The nation’s fourth-largest carrier has talked publicly about shaving $2 billion in overhead as it aims to revive its fortunes and end six straight years of losses.    

Sources familiar with the initiative said Sprint plans to cut its network costs by relocating its radio equipment from tower space it has leased from Crown Castle and American Tower to spots on government-owned properties, which costs much less. This process could begin as soon as June or July.

I messaged Marcelo and Sprint on Twitter but all they told me was they are planning on being #1 or 2 by the end of 2017 and there are no plans to announce anything regarding NGN.

• Like 2

I believe Marcelo and son will show their strong commitment to sprint this coming report to restore its lagging stock price. Or else it will be difficult for them to set up the network leasing vehicle and also tapping into the already setup device leasing facility. Who will want to lend you money if they think you will go under?

Sprint is not collapsing because of that silly recode article, but because of its weight of high yield debt.

http://realmoney.thestreet.com/articles/01/20/2016/sprint-collapsing-under-weight-its-high-yield-debt

For those that said Sprint didn't crash and burn in 2011, but they didn't have bonds that were due for payment that year. Now it's 2016 and the bill is due . the company is is terrible financial conditions at this moment, and that will handicap them while the others three keep going on cruise control.

• Like 3

I'm not talking about earnings. I'm talking about re/code's first three paragraphs suggesting that Sprint is about to embark on a 'radical overhaul' of its network:

If the earnings report is February 5th, Sprint might be in a quite period and can't put out such a press release. It may provide too much investor info.

Flip side is that the article may very well be accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sprint is not collapsing because of that silly recode article, but because of its weight of high yield debt.

http://realmoney.thestreet.com/articles/01/20/2016/sprint-collapsing-under-weight-its-high-yield-debt

For those that said Sprint didn't crash and burn in 2011, but they didn't have bonds that were due for payment that year. Now it's 2016 and the bill is due . the company is is terrible financial conditions at this moment, and that will handicap them while the others three keep going on cruise control.

Re/code's article was definitely a contributing factor. There was a SA article published about the news that took it as fact, going so far as to say that Sprint had announced those plans.

The rumor of network plans on top of bond maturities in 2016 and a bear market killed the stock.

Long-term perhaps. But it isn't like it all of the sudden became known that Sprint has high yielding debt with a chunk of it nearing maturity. This has been known for years and is public record through Sprint's SEC fillings. Short-term, the stock this week absolutely was about the re-code article which appears to be sketchy on accuracy at best and several analysts downgrading earnings estimates.

• Like 3

Long-term perhaps. But it isn't like it all of the sudden became known that Sprint has high yielding debt with a chunk of it nearing maturity. This has been known for years and is public record through Sprint's SEC fillings. Short-term, the stock this week absolutely was about the re-code article which appears to be sketchy on accuracy at best and several analysts downgrading earnings estimates.

I think it's more "people knew Sprint had debt nearing maturity, and expected Sprint to handle it". Now it's "people know Sprint has high yielding debt, and aren't confident that Sprint will handle it anymore". 

I really don't see the re/code article effecting it much. If anything, Sprint's reluctance to talk about specifics would swing it more than a random blog article.

For instance, If Sprint announced they were selling any spectrum, you'd see their stock price shoot up instantly.

Assuming a buyer was found who paid $1.25 per MHz-POP, Sprint could easily wipe out this upcoming $1.5 billion dollar maturing debt by selling/leasing just 20mhz of B41 in various markets. (That price seems fairly conservative, AWS3 just sold for approx $1.60 to $2.80 MHz-POP).

It would not impact current Sprint service in any way (they'd still have 2xCA / 3xCA in various markets), and would put them on more solid financial footing -- not a permanent fix, but buying them a lot more time to correct their financials.

To be clear, I don't *want* Sprint to sell spectrum, and it's not assured that a buyer could be lined up for it. But if the alternative is defaulting on their loans and/or eliminating cell sites/density -- selling/leasing their unused spectrum is a rational choice that's far better than many of the alternatives.

• Like 2

People have been saying those exact words since 2012 and Sprint is still here and better than before so...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Still here yes,

Better network than before yes

Financially better??????? I would say no lost a lot of customers since 2012 but again, I would say financially no.... Problem is that's what's most important.

However I could be wrong

All the gloom and doom, there is definitely one good news. 2 years ago whenever there was an article about sprint, people would swamp those sites with negative comments. But recently that same hostility seems to be absent. Definitely sprint network has come a long way. If they continue to improve in the metro areas customers will come. Rural expansion is secondary. Most people live in big cities anyway and if they travel as long as voice coverage is good, 3G data is more than sufficient. Most if not all customers don't care if they have slow data when travel out of the cities. They only care about price and network quality where they live. And for the majority of Americans, that means big cities and surrounding area. That is why T-Mobile strategy works so well. Not participating in 600 auction is good decision given their cash position. Maintaining this line of thinking, sprints has a distinct advantage because spectrum rich position as data continues to grow .

• Like 3

All the gloom and doom, there is definitely one good news. 2 years ago whenever there was an article about sprint, people would swamp those sites with negative comments. But recently that same hostility seems to be absent. Definitely sprint network has come a long way. If they continue to improve in the metro areas customers will come. Rural expansion is secondary. Most people live in big cities anyway and if they travel as long as voice coverage is good, 3G data is more than sufficient. Most if not all customers don't care if they have slow data when travel out of the cities. They only care about price and network quality where they live. And for the majority of Americans, that means big cities and surrounding area. That is why T-Mobile strategy works so well. Not participating in 600 auction is good decision given their cash position. Maintaining this line of thinking, sprints has a distinct advantage because spectrum rich position as data continues to grow .

You obviously haven't been on Fierce wireless recently. [emoji57]

Sent from my Nexus 5X

You obviously haven't been on Fierce wireless recently.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

RCR and lightreading do great work. Why not just read them?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Go on fierce wireless every day and all the negative comments seem to come from the same persons. But phonescoop, android central cnet etc. the hostility toward sprint is definitely absent.

I also witness the improvement myself. Up until 6 months ago, my employee had to use a router at our office to make calls and without it she had to move around the office to use her phone. Now there is no need for router and her data just almost as fast as att.

• Like 5

And no one could have foreseen that. My point is, people have been claiming the death of Sprint for so long yet they're still here.

Exactly my point, The end is nowhere near for Sprint.

Those claiming the end is near are those picketing with signs saying that the 'end is near'.

Remember when people thought the world will end at 2012? Yeah.. those guys who claim that are people proclaiming Sprint will die and Aliens exist

• Like 4

Exactly my point, The end is nowhere near for Sprint.

Those claiming the end is near are those picketing with signs saying that the 'end is near'.

Remember when people thought the world will end at 2012? Yeah.. those guys who claim that are people proclaiming Sprint will die and Aliens exist

considering how big the universe is the chances that aliens do exist is actually very likely.
  • Like 5

Only because Sprint got a bailout from Japan.

They didn't get a "bail out" from Japan, they got an investment from a Japanese based multinational. The difference is an investment is made expectant of a return on that investment and a "bail out" is made simple to keep the company afloat. Only governments " bail out" companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2