Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

3 percent separates top from bottom. I wouldn't exactly call that a fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also that 3 percent is only from 1 stadium that they did really good. Its the best score not the overall score. Sprint only had 3 stadiums where they received over 80%. Tmobile had 4 stadiums, At&t had 16 stadiums and Verizon had 20. I would say that is a fail not only for Sprint but also Tmobile.

They didn't get a "bail out" from Japan, they got an investment from a Japanese based multinational. The difference is an investment is made expectant of a return on that investment and a "bail out" is made simple to keep the company afloat. Only governments " bail out" companies.

"Bail outs" are usually investments too, and also expect a return on that investment. For instance, the US government was paid back for their auto bailout, and actually generated $8 billion or so in profit from the the bank bailout.

"Bail out" is a common way to describe an investment that was necessary for a company to continue. That can come from a government, but also from a multinational corporation, or even just a single investor.

• Like 2

No, it is not. They have two entirely separate meanings. SoftBank saw an opportunity to profit and took it. If that perception wasn't there they wouldn't have done it. The government bailouts were done specifically to keep those organization going, regardless of weather or not profits were seen ahead of time.

No, it is not. They have two entirely separate meanings. SoftBank saw an opportunity to profit and took it. If that perception wasn't there they wouldn't have done it. The government bailouts were done specifically to keep those organization going, regardless of weather or not profits were seen ahead of time.

Your free to feel that way, but the term "bailout" has a well defined meaning and explicitly covers situations like this. If your upset with that then your argument isn't with me, but with the dictionary.

"A bailout can be done for mere profit, as when an investor resurrects a floundering company by buying its shares at fire-sale prices"

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bailout.asp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailout

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bailout

• Like 2

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/blog/special-reports/2015-2h-nfl-report

Sprint had the highest download speeds recorded but in 1 stadium and that's the only award they received. Other than that it was a fail for the yellow carrier just about everywhere else.

Lets see how Sprint does at the Superbowl this year. Per this Blog Post, they've been doing a lot of preparation: 2xCA on the stadium DAS, other network improvements for the region; COWs, etc. I'll bet Sprint's network performs very well this year.

And the best part: Nearly all of those network improvements stay in place.... except for the COWs of course.

Investing in the network for the Superbowl in each city/region each year pays off dividends in the long term.

• Like 2

So I just got an email offering a plan without access charges. Claims to save over $240/year over current plan for the same 40gb we currently share. Anyone else get the email? I just wonder if the base price can be discounted. If it can, this can save us a ton of money!

• Like 4

So I just got an email offering a plan without access charges. Claims to save over $240/year over current plan for the same 40gb we currently share. Anyone else get the email? I just wonder if the base price can be discounted. If it can, this can save us a ton of money!

I have a feeling Sprint will be sending out a bunch of these kinds of emails based on the fact that the access charges on the Family Share Packs announced on February 20, 2015 were waived for one year.... so through March 31, 2016 per Footnote 5 on that page.... and that's coming up soon.

• Like 1

Verizon adds 1.5M post paid customers? I can't find how many were smart phones...free tablets aren't as impressive.

Edit...found this on Reddit

EDIT: Found it. Verizon added 906,000 4G smartphones to its postpaid customer base in fourth-quarter 2015. Postpaid phone net adds totaled 449,000 as net smartphone adds of 713,000 were partially offset by a net decline of basic phones. Tablet net adds totaled 960,000 in the quarter, and net prepaid devices declined by 157,000.

Of the 1.5M Postpaid subscribers in Q4, 960K were tablets. This means they added 540K phone subscribers in Q4, just over half of what T-Mobile did.

So far we have these numbers for Q4.

• T-Mobile 917K
  • Verizon 449K
  • Like 2

This thread is getting overtly negative. Let's get back on track and be pragmatic and discuss good and useful plans of where Sprint can go from here. Some of your personal biases are becoming blaring megaphones of self fulfilling doubt.

When people leave Sprint for their own personal reason (which certainly can be justified) it's human nature to only look for supporting information to substantiate their decision. Sprint is in better shape than they were a year ago. Even financially. In virtually every metric.

The stock is taking a beating, no doubt. But it's not a surprise given the current market conditions and unfavorable news cycle. And I won't even discuss the recode article. Sprint owes its remaining stock holders some spin and NGN high points to help buoy the stock price. They likely are punting until the next quarterly conference. But that's too far out. A refuting/clarification is due now.

Other than investors, the rest of us need to calm down and ride it out. If I was an investor, I'd be pissed and freaking out. But not as a customer. Certainly, some more clarity on NGN would ease a lot of our nerves. And really, among S4GRU, that's actually the big rubbing point of all, isn't it?

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 17

Your free to feel that way, but the term "bailout" has a well defined meaning and explicitly covers situations like this. If your upset with that then your argument isn't with me, but with the dictionary.

"A bailout can be done for mere profit, as when an investor resurrects a floundering company by buying its shares at fire-sale prices"

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bailout.asp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailout

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bailout

Read every definition you gave. They all said " giving money for the purpose of preventing said institution from failing". That is not why SoftBank bought sprint. It many have been a consequence of, but then we don't know because a world where SoftBank doesn't buy sprint doesn't exist.

I'm starting to think Masa was being a little egotistical when he bought Sprint.

You think? Take a look at the press conference he gave after he got his hands on Sprint. Did he deliver on any of it? Billionaires are often some of the most delusional people.

• Like 1

You think? Take a look at the press conference he gave after he got his hands on Sprint. Did he deliver on any of it? Billionaires are often some of the most delusional people.

He did admit to buyer's remorse after the failed t mobile bid. But he then affirmed that he was into sprint and "saw the light". I agree wholeheartedly with Robert's post. I want more "color" on NGN but sprint doesn't owe that to the consumer
  • Like 2

I have actually been disappointed at the lack of investment from SoftBank after the initial purchase. Network Vision has been funded solely through debt. Even DT "forgave" about $5B of the MetroPCS/T-Mobile debt. Between that and the $6B they got from the failed AT&T bid, T-Mobile is in much better shape financially. Although their debt is nothing to sneeze at.

• Like 3

I have actually been disappointed at the lack of investment from SoftBank after the initial purchase. Network Vision has been funded solely through debt. Even DT "forgave" about $5B of the MetroPCS/T-Mobile debt. Between that and the $6B they got from the failed AT&T bid, T-Mobile is in much better shape financially. Although their debt is nothing to sneeze at.

I agree. I thought SoftBank would fly in fix the network, expand the network, and sprint would be on top. I also expected prices to go up. Not that sprint hasn't made gains I thought they would be more significant by now. But I do like what Marcelo is doing just keeping my fingers crossed it works out

• Like 1

I still think that Masayoshi Son wants Marcelo to 'right the ship' before any direct capital infusions. I don't think he wants to send good money after bad. If Sprint is blowing through money that will be wasted, why give it money? Clean house, get lean, start growing subscribers...and then time for a capital infusion. Or, as maxsilver would call it, a bailout. Which is essentially what it would be at that point.

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I still think that Masayoshi Son wants Marcelo to 'right the ship' before any direct capital infusions. I don't think he wants to send good money after bad. If Sprint is blowing through money that will be wasted, why give it money? Clean house, get lean, start growing subscribers...and then time for a capital infusion. Or, as maxsilver would call it, a bailout. Which is essentially what it would be at that point.

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

What else does Marcelo have to do to "right the ship" at this point?

Sprint stock at $2 and 50 and steady declining.... Softbank stock took a 18% hit any opinions what will sprint have to do to stay above water

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I think softbank needs to own a hundred percent of Sprint take it private so it can hide the losses better

Sprint stock at $2 and 50 and steady declining.... Softbank stock took a 18% hit any opinions what will sprint have to do to stay above water

as crazy as it sounds i think the key to sprint, or any stock right now is oil rebounding to the $35-$40 range (currently $26.79).  why?  the oil producers are loaded with debt (much like sprint/many other companies)  this debt was cheap and easy to obtain before the federal reserve raised rates.  Now the debt market is in danger, extreme danger, because companies with large debts are finding it very difficult to refinance, oil companies are facing the most challenges due to the extreme drop in the price of oil, but all debt heavy companies are being punished.  The fall in debt ridden companies is causing the sell off in the broader market so even cash rich companies are being taken down.  In my opinion oil needs to rebound so the debt heavy oil companies don't run the risk of default, and the fed making a statement that its done tightening, at least for this year would be very helpful.          Drill baby Drill they said, now look what we have, its nice at the pump but if your 401K loses %40 this year it doesn't really make a difference does it? 

• Like 1

Why would he want to own 100% of it? He wishes he never bought it at this point and has already shopped it around. Also SoftBank itself hadn't been doing very well. Its stock is down as a result. Adding the rest of Sprint won't help.

• Like 1