Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Marcelo just posted:

Our 50% offer exceeded our expectations, leading us to extend it another month.

That's a good sign it seems?

EDIT: Misread that... Seems like he's just referring to the month that it was already extended.... Oops.

On another note... Based on this Tweet, sounds like there's a Town Hall this Friday. At least, that's what the GIF says at the 1:15 mark.

• Like 1

Marcelo just posted:

Our 50% offer exceeded our expectations, leading us to extend it another month.

That's a good sign it seems?

EDIT: Misread that... Seems like he's just referring to the month that it was already extended.... Oops.

On another note... Based on this Tweet, sounds like there's a Town Hall this Friday. At least, that's what the GIF says at the 1:15 mark.

That's for employees.

Kind of a sickening way to end an article;

Son recently bought a $5.5 million house near the Kansas headquarters so he can visit Sprint more easily. The house, which has a pool, is next door to where Claure lives with his wife and five children, without a pool. “I love that Masa comes one day of the month,” Claure says, “but I now have a pool 365 days a year.”

So buy a 5.5 mil house, to live in 1 day a month, while laying off thousands of people.

Yes I realize that Masa earned his money and can spend it any way he likes, but that still doesn't lessen the impact.

So buy a 5.5 mil house, to live in 1 day a month, while laying off thousands of people.

Yes I realize that Masa earned his money and can spend it any way he likes, but that still doesn't lessen the impact.

It's Masa's personal fortune, he can do whatever he wants with it. Yes it sucks that Sprint is laying off employees but doesn't really matter.
  • Like 1

So, masa should buy a house and continue to employ the thousands he is laying off for another six months as an act of charity? The company is trying to become more efficient so that it can compete. The employees they are laying off are not an efficient use of resources in the mind of management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

There is a distinction between Son's personal finances and Sprint's corporate finances.  Still, paying $5.5 million for a house is ostentatious.

I am surprised, though, that Son was able to purchase a house right next door to Marcelo.  That would seem like a remarkable coincidence both high end residences in Mission Hills were on the market at roughly the same time.  I wonder if Son just made an unsolicited offer to the homeowner -- name your price.

AJ

• Like 8

I don't disagree with any of those points, I fully understand the separation of Son's money vs sprint/softbanks money.

That is still of little consolation to those affected by layoffs, or anyone else that is not in the 'big money' club in general.

• Like 2

I don't disagree with any of those points, I fully understand the separation of Son's money vs sprint/softbanks money.

That is still of little consolation to those affected by layoffs, or anyone else that is not in the 'big money' club in general.

Optics aren't that great, sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am not apologizing for anyone -- certainly not myself.  However, most of us lose perspective on money at some respective level.  I will never own nor do I aspire to own a $5.5 million house.  But I do not bat an eye when frequently spending $500 on handsets or $1000 on audio equipment.  Meanwhile, others might consider those purchases luxury excess, much like a $5.5 million house.

AJ

• Like 9

That's gotta be weird - almost like your boss bought the house next door to keep tabs on you. Not something with which I'd be comfortable!

• Like 1

That's gotta be weird - almost like your boss bought the house next door to keep tabs on you. Not something with which I'd be comfortable!

But he has a sick pool that goes unused......lol

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

But he has a sick pool that goes unused......lol

You have never sneaked into a neighbor's swimming pool?  Marcelo is getting busy in that pool.

;)

AJ

• Like 3

Better that Son spent (invested) that $5.5 million+ in Kansas than keeping it under his mattress in Japan.  More money coming in from the rest of the world = making America great again.

• Like 1

There is a distinction between Son's personal finances and Sprint's corporate finances. Still, paying $5.5 million for a house is ostentatious.

I am surprised, though, that Son was able to purchase a house right next door to Marcelo. That would seem like a remarkable coincidence both high end residences in Mission Hills were on the market at roughly the same time. I wonder if Son just made an unsolicited offer to the homeowner -- name your price.

AJ

Good point. I'm also really surprised that Marcelo and family, being from Miami, would buy a house without a pool in Kansas City.

Better that Son spent (invested) that $5.5 million+ in Kansas than keeping it under his mattress in Japan. More money coming in from the rest of the world = making America great again.

Masa is paying property taxes In Mission Hills: https://www.opkansas.org/city-government/sales-and-property-taxes/property-tax-rate-comparison/property-tax-rates-johnson-county-cities/

How to calculate property tax: http://www.opkansas.org/city-government/sales-and-property-taxes/how-taxes-are-calculated/

Also, SoftBank already owns 83 percent of Sprint, so it can’t invest much more in Sprint. If SoftBank's ownership hits 85%, it actually triggers a contractual mandate from the original merger agreement and SoftBank has to buy out Sprint entirely (as in, buy the rest of the shares).

See here for the original merger prospectus which says this: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1560158/000119312513192860/d425100d424b3.htm

(Do a text search for "85%" and you'll see the applicable section.)

At the time the merger was completed in July 2013, SoftBank acquired a 72% stake in Sprint: http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-and-softbank-announce-completion-of-merger.htm

Since then, SoftBank has gradually increased its ownership stake with regular share purchases: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-30/softbank-increases-its-stake-in-sprint-to-83-19-

So now my opinion, it's fine Masa got a $5.5M house. He's paying for it and hopefully good things come from those taxes.

• Like 2

You have never sneaked into a neighbor's swimming pool?  Marcelo is getting busy in that pool.

Yes, that swimming pool is going to be a "semen pond." And if you do not know what that means, then you do not know Jed Clampett.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

Does anybody know what's the max theoretical speed for 2x CA B41?

I wanna say 150mbps.... but i don't think there is an offical number out there.... i have seen verizons carrier aggregation do 150mbps during peak hours... so it's hard to tell ..

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

The highest i have seen on band 41 carrier aggregated is like 132mbps....what amazes me is that i have seen speed in access of a 100mbps on t mobiles wideband lte (not carrier aggregated ) so once t mobiles aggregates.....it seem like t mobile will hit 200+ mbps....

• Like 1

See this Qualcomm page: https://www.qualcomm.com/invention/technologies/lte/lte-carrier-aggregation

Also see this write-up here: http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/7/8909127/carrier-aggregation-explained-how-lte-speeds-can-be-doubled-or-even

• Like 3

Sprint will only really pull ahead in my opinion... once they add 3×CA, because no other carrier can do 3×CA at 20MHZ.... that's when sprint will pull ahead!

I think you forget the amount of spectrum that sprint has vs Tmo, ATT and Verizon.

Sprint can in most cases in markets deploy 5 or 6 carriers of 20mhzTDD.  I believe the plan is only aggregate three 20+20+20 TDD together. However, more LTE carriers (i.e. 5 or 6) is something no carrier can complete especially with this unlimited data buckets coming back.

I dont' think the future is about speed (it is now) but capacity which sprint has set a platform to perform on.

• Like 2

I think you forget the amount of spectrum that sprint has vs Tmo, ATT and Verizon.

Sprint can in most cases in markets deploy 5 or 6 carriers of 20mhzTDD.  I believe the plan is only aggregate three 20+20+20 TDD together. However, more LTE carriers (i.e. 5 or 6) is something no carrier can complete especially with this unlimited data buckets coming back.

I dont' think the future is about speed (it is now) but capacity which sprint has set a platform to perform on.

speed will still be important in the future and additional capacity will help provide and maintain that speed.  as data demands grow other carries will need to drastically increase site density due to spectrum constraints, most likely with small cells.  of course wireless data usage growth will begin to slow and stagnate in the coming years on a percentage basis based on the law of large numbers, a reasonable person can only use so much data on a phone.  The next big ramp up in data usage will be when driver less cars begin to roll out in the millions.  people will go from driving, focusing on driving to riding and watching tv/netflixs/youtube so on... on their phones.