Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I live on the pa/oh border but see that's why I'm worried, I thought it woulda been here when LTE was deployed. If this is the case I'd return my nexus 5 for a older phone that's not triband and that's sad, I don't want to do that because the speeds on my mother gs3 are crazy fast. I have forced my phone into LTE but it just stay on for a minute then goes back to 3g.

Don't return it yet. There's currently only 1 site upgraded in your area that I can see.

It drops while on LTE Only? That's a little strange. That doesn't sound like a CSFB issue to me. How strong is the signal when it drops?

Every once in a while if I switch the LTE(recommended) and global around and then do a prl update it will show LTE and then drop seconds or minutes after. I did a speedtest when it was on it came at 3.6 down and 1.5 up. But it was super fast I was able to stream Netflix which I never could on my poor 3g. I'm so confused and kinda frustrated I traded my note2 on because I would have LTE right now.

Every once in a while if I switch the LTE(recommended) and global around and then do a prl update it will show LTE and then drop seconds or minutes after. I did a speedtest when it was on it came at 3.6 down and 1.5 up. But it was super fast I was able to stream Netflix which I never could on my poor 3g. I'm so confused and kinda frustrated I traded my note2 on because I would have LTE right now.

Is that how you forced LTE the other times?

If so, a better way to force LTE is by dialing *#*#4636#*#* , hit phone information , scroll down , and then select lte only mode from the drop down menu.

You should stay connected to LTE.

Return back to default after done with testing.

Edited by always_learner

By the way thanks for all the help. This site is awesome. I need a sponsor then.

Me, too.  I need an S4GRUsers Anonymous sponsor.

AJ

• Like 5

My name is Mike and I've been a S4GRUaholic for 2 years..

Step 1...

Step 2.  Came to believe that a Power greater than John Legere could restore us to sanity.

Step 3...

AJ

• Like 1

I tried careless for a few days but couldn't do it.

If the camera was flush with the body maybe but I felt like I was scratching it everytime I put it down.

I was worried about the camera as well.  I ended up with a Seidio convert case and a Zagg HD screen protector.  To my surprise it works with my TYLT wireless charger.  I used the same combination with my S3 and it was in excellent shape when I switched to the Nexus 5.

Anyone living on the edge without a case? Been almost 2 months with my N5 and don't have a scratch on it. During the same timeframe from when I got my S3 last year, I had already gone through 2! (Thank god for best buy protection)

I definately Have been brave with this one. I think I might be checking out amazon for a case right now. I have yet to do any damage

I tried caseless for a few days but couldn't do it. If the camera was flush with the body maybe but I felt like I was scratching it everytime I put it down.

I also feeli like I am scratching it when I set it down, I have a habit of wiping the place it gets set though. Make sure there isnt material to scratch it.

I've been digging my spigen neo hybrid with a crystal screen protector by the same company. I've already dropped my phone once to tile at the gym. Phone still is in good shape.

I have the same case. Love it.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

EvanA I have already read that post and understand what's going on, but what I don't get is when or off the N5 will get a software update or if my towers will be updated and in what time frame? I waited 3 years for LTE and then we get it and I'm punished for having a new phone. Looks like IMA have to get a older lte phone that is not triband. Thanks so much everyone

EvanA I have already read that post and understand what's going on, but what I don't get is when or off the N5 will get a software update or if my towers will be updated and in what time frame? I waited 3 years for LTE and then we get it and I'm punished for having a new phone. Looks like IMA have to get a older lte phone that is not triband. Thanks so much everyone

Did you try going into LTE-only mode yet? You should be able to hold LTE there.

The "Spark" update for the Nexus 5 was promised this quarter, so that means by March 31. I believe it is the only Spark-capable device left without the update, so hopefully that helps focus the effort.

The eCSFB software update is for sites, not devices. As others have said, the exact timeframe when that happens varies, but it is a relatively quick process so it is more common for it to happen sooner rather than later.

If you waited 3 years for LTE, it is probably worth hanging on to your N5 and waiting for the necessary updates in your area. You will be much better off in the long run.

-Mike

I have the same case. Love it.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I returned that case since most of my headphones and line in wires wouldn't fit.  A lot of my USB cables wouldn't either.  Ended up with the Seidio Dilex case since I needed the clip anyways for bike rides and other outdoor activities where leaving the phone in the pocket isn't an option.

• Like 2

Hey Everyone,

Been lurking for awhile.  Decided to join up after getting a new Nexus 5.  Waiting on the SIM card to arrive and have a few questions about setting up the phone.  At some point I intend to unlock the boot loader and root the phone.  May or may not install a custom recovery.  I plan to activate the phone on Ting (Sprint MNVO). I am curious about the best order in which to get the phone set up.  Should I install the SIM card, then activate, then unlock and root?  Or should I unlock and root before activation?

If I understand correctly, installing a custom recovery will stop Android OTA updates. Will this also affect the Spark update that is due this quarter?  Should I wait for the update before unlocking and rooting?

The only thing I've done at this point is to put the phone on the charger. 

Feel free to toss out any other suggestions for getting this phone set up and working.

Thanks,

DC

I had no case till I dropped it and the screen shattered. $146 to get it fixed from LG + shipping to Texas and it took 2 weeks to get the phone back. So I have a couple cases now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Been lurking for awhile.  Decided to join up after getting a new Nexus 5.  Waiting on the SIM card to arrive and have a few questions about setting up the phone.  At some point I intend to unlock the boot loader and root the phone.  May or may not install a custom recovery.  I plan to activate the phone on Ting (Sprint MNVO). I am curious about the best order in which to get the phone set up.  Should I install the SIM card, then activate, then unlock and root?  Or should I unlock and root before activation?

If I understand correctly, installing a custom recovery will stop Android OTA updates. Will this also affect the Spark update that is due this quarter?  Should I wait for the update before unlocking and rooting?

Welcome! Unlock the bootloader first; it forces a factory reset after you do that, so anything you do before it will just end up being a waste of time. Rooting and flashing a custom recovery can be done whenever you want after that. It doesn't matter if you put the SIM in before unlocking it or not, so you could unlock it now and then start using the phone on Wi-Fi until your SIM arrives. You should be able to activate it on Sprint (or Ting) without a SIM, but you will not be able to connect to LTE. Once you have the SIM, you will need to provide them with the serial number to activate that.

I'm not sure if installing a custom recovery will stop OTAs, but even if it does, they are often uploaded to sites like xda-developers.com very quickly, so you will not be missing out on anything. In fact, I usually get them from XDA before my phone receives anything automatically. The only issue with an OTA on a rooted device is that it requires the /system folder to be stock, so if you made changes in there, you will need to undo them (or flash the stock system image) before applying a regular OTA.

It is rather simple to do this stuff on the N5, but if you are concerned, you can play it safe and only unlock your bootloader now and hold off on anything else until after the Spark update rolls out. Unlocking the bootloader does not change anything except for allowing access to root and/or install a custom recovery.

-Mike