Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I loved the aluminum finishes on the HTC Evo LTE and One. Something I wish they would do on a Nexus device.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I really liked it on the EVO LTE, save the effect it had on RF performance.  I've noticed that the aluminum on mine seems to be wearing down though. 

I really liked it on the EVO LTE, save the effect it had on RF performance.  I've noticed that the aluminum on mine seems to be wearing down though. 

Honestly, I don't think the aluminum had anything to do with rf performance.  The evo didn't have rf issues when connected to 1x or 3g, only with lte.  Same goes for the One, it does very well with 1x and 3g, just as good as my n5 but gets owned when it comes to lte.  

• Like 3

I can confirm that switching to 3G seems to eliminate the problem.

I thought about maybe switching Sim cards to see if that would fix it but my sprint store is always a two hour wait. It doesn't happen everywhere as far as I can tell maybe it is just a legacy tower issue that will be resolved shortly. I thought I had a defective device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Does anyone else miss the glass back of the N4?  I can completely understand why they got rid of it considering how easy it cracked, but that was one gorgeous phone.

Nope.  I like the feel of the Nexus 5.  I personally am not a fan of glass backs given that one of the top reasons is that it can break easily if dropped but I like that smooth matte finish on phones.

• Like 3

There is so much misinformation on what band priorites and bands to set. On XDA one guys says don't enable band 26. Then there is set all priorities to 1, and then there is set aonly band 41 priority to 1. Why so much misconception or conflicting information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevensen viewpost.png
Man, Sprint Chat was useless, but the LogCat method worked like a charm!

I noticed the Band priorities were set to 1/1/1, any reason to change that?

Keep band 41 as 1, the rest as 0.

Band 41 has the most capacity. Band 26 is not active yet, and band 25 is 'normal' sprint lte.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2515798

If you know you have B41 LTE around you...you will need to enable the B41 LTE band. 

To do this, do the following:

1. On the dialer, type ##DATA# (##3282#).

2. Select "LTE" and select "Edit"

3.  Enter your MSL for Service Code.

4. Select "Band41 Enable/Disable" and select "Enable"

5. Select "Band 41 Priority" and choose "1"

6. Select "Band 25 Priority" and choose "0"

7. Reboot your phone (it should automatically do it for you if you exit out of the menu).

8. Find a B41 LTE tower

9. Take speedtests and LTE engineering menu screenshots

10. Profit and brag about it on S4GRU forums.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4886-lg-g2-users-thread/page-64

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4886-lg-g2-users-thread/page-63

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4989-lg-google-nexus-5-users-thread/page-85

NYC Bronx 

Edited by QWIKSTRIKE

Fwiw, I've set my phone with b41 as priority 1, rest as 0 and haven't connected yet to b41. It's possible we will have to wait for an update.. I'm in a spark city and it has been about two days.

• Like 1

Stupid HP printer plug app is hard coded ? Is rooting the only solution to remove it ?

Yep, for a phone that wasn't supposed to have bloatware, I would classify that as such.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Said goodbye to my N5 today. Not going to wait on Sprint with a 3G only phone. If they get Raleigh going soon, I may go right back to it.

Gonna have to argue with customer service though, they charged a $35 restocking fee. Either they are going to credit that back, or credit my activation fee back. Not like I returned it "just because". They are the ones who knowingly released a phone that couldn't function as advertised in so many markets.

Yep, for a phone that wasn't supposed to have bloatware, I would classify that as such.

FWIW, HP printer plugin seems to allow printing to various printers, not just HP.

• Like 1

Gonna have to argue with customer service though, they charged a $35 restocking fee. Either they are going to credit that back, or credit my activation fee back. Not like I returned it "just because". They are the ones who knowingly released a phone that couldn't function as advertised in so many markets.

$76 in fees is pricey to rent a new phone for a week, especially when it doesn't work as well as your old one. I would hope they would waive one of them based on your reasons for returning it, but I imagine they will point out that their fine print does have the restocking fee and only allows activation fee refunds if returned within the first 3 days. Back in the day, you got 30 days and they would refund all of your fees.. but it's not back in the day anymore. ;)

-Mike

• Like 2

That sucks about the $76 for one week. I tried out the Note 3 on the AT&T network for 11 days and I paid $31. But then, I wasn't charged a restocking fee and my CVS corporate discount waived the $36 activation fee.

Does the N5 support 10x10 LTE carriers on band-25 like the Evo LTE?  I scanned the article AJ posted a while back and didn't see if it did or not.

I looked at the FCC docs and yes the N5 supports 10x10 LTE carriers on B25.  In fact the N5 supports 1.4, 3, 5, 10, 15, and 20 MHz LTE carriers on B25.

• Like 2

I looked at the FCC docs and yes the N5 supports 10x10 LTE carriers on B25.  In fact the N5 supports 1.4, 3, 5, 10, 15, and 20 MHz LTE carriers on B25.

Very impressive.  They have certainly made the N5 a very flexible device.

Not sure what would be the point/benefit of UE covering wider than 5Mhz on B25. Can anyone explain?

-Thanks.

Not sure what would be the point of UE covering wider than 5Mhz on B25. Can anyone explain?

-Thanks.

I think 10x10 can be a reality on B25 in some markets on Sprint but definitely not 15 or 20 MHz.  But yes you are right, I don't think for the most part we will see 10x10 deployed much on B25.  Its ok though because as long as Sprint deploys another 5x5 LTE carrier on B25 to relieve capacity that is all that should matter.

Definitely.  But to be fair, all the other triband LTE phones like the LG G2, GS4 mini, Galaxy Mega, etc also have 

have B25 LTE testing for all the different LTE bandwidth sizes like I mentioned above. I see Sprint doing B25 LTE FCC testing on all bandwidths for their LTE phones going forward even though the reality is that they won't use 20x20 MHz LTE on B25 in the lifetime of this phone.

• Like 1

Sprint phones also scans band 2 for lte.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Ah so it scans for the adjacent PCS C block? The reason I'm asking is because G block is only a 5Mhz FDD spectrum slice. Can't be larger than 5Mhz itself, unless the device dips down into the C block which is really B2.

Ah so it scans for the adjacent PCS C block? The reason I'm asking is because G block is only a 5Mhz FDD spectrum slice. Can't be larger than 5Mhz itself, unless the device dips down into the C block which is really B2.

PCS A-F actually. Sprint devices can see and try to connect to band 2 PCS networks at times.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I'm sure this has been answered, but is there an activation fee for the n5 if I purchased it off from Google Play?

Sent from my LG-LS980

I have never been charged an activation fee when doing it online...last 6 months have done 3 phones on my account all bought out right

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Except where it counts. No Verizon =P haha jk, it would be impressive if it supposed them also. They could call it "The first Major US Phone - For All Major US Carriers"

I'm sure this has been answered, but is there an activation fee for the n5 if I purchased it off from Google Play?

Sent from my LG-LS980

No, just make sure when you activate it you say "I want to swap phones on my line." Someone mentioned they got a fee before. I just went from my HTC One to my EVO LTE and then back to the One, no charges.

• Like 1