LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

Just found a neat video from the demonstration in Sprint's labs in silicon valley:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/sprint-spark-hands-on-1-gbps

The last bit where they're getting 1.3gbps is pretty impressive.

According to this video sprint is using all lte bands to achieve these speeds. Is this the result of carrier aggregation?

2500MHz is going to be a rare occurrence in my area because most of the time I can't even get 4G on 1900MHz.  What I care about is 800MHz LTE.  Is 800MHz LTE a simple software switch that gets flipped (on NV upgraded towers) or is there more to it?

800MHz LTE in my area would get me to buy a new phone right now, I'd even pay full price.  2500MHz is great news for congested big cities and probably for most people since most people live in big cities, but 800MHz LTE deployment will further put Sprint well in the lead over T-Mobile in rural areas and make the service much more usable over a larger land area.

Overall the Sprint Spark announcement is pretty exciting, to me at least.  I can't wait to see the coverage improvements as far as area covered and indoor reception.

• Like 2

Ting will get the network improvements of course but the BYOD Triband phones will be delayed by a year unless I want to pay the $600+ for a new phone. I also don't use much in the way of bandwidth right now mostly because it is kind of enjoyable to pay so little for phone service. With the administrative fees etc that Sprint adds to it's bill it would be 3-4x more expensive than my current bill which is hard to justify. 

As I said, I feel that Sprint's service in it's current state isn't worth $160+ after taxes for 2 unlimited lines. 

Edit: To get there I would have to use over 1k mins/1k texts and over 6GB of data which I doubt I would be able to do if I tried on the towers around me. In 12 months that may be a different story but for now I will watch and wait for the network to be improved.

I agree.  I'm a Ting customer as well and am fine with limiting my bandwidth usage. 

Not saying this is what you should do, but if a Nexus 5 at $350 works on Ting on all 3 bands.  That's very tempting to me.

He needs to hijack a Sprint COW and Park it in his driveway

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I think they should just give him one for he's done for them.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Does it say which companies are rolling out in which sections of the country? For example, who's rolling out TDD LTE in Florida?

Does it say which companies are rolling out in which sections of the country? For example, who's rolling out TDD LTE in Florida?

NSN is most likely taking over Ericsson territory. Though there might be spots within the vendor contract region with other vendor equipment (samsung) due to clearwires phase 1 & 2 deployment.

• Like 3

NSN is most likely taking over Ericsson territory. Though there might be spots within the vendor contract region with other vendor equipment (samsung) due to clearwires phase 1 & 2 deployment.

Sweet so where I'm at will probably be NSN...just south in West Palm will be Samsung (An existing Clear market)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Alcatel-Lucent's TDD stuff better than their NV stuff?

Is surprising they would aggregate all 3 bands. If someone has access to 2500, just use 2500 and don't steal bandwidth from those who can only get 800. 800 should be reserved for those who can't get 1900 or 2500, or am I not understanding this right.

Yes. That is the plan.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Is surprising they would aggregate all 3 bands.  If someone has access to 2500, just use 2500 and don't steal bandwidth from those who can only get 800.  800 should be reserved for those who can't get 1900 or 2500, or am I not understanding this right.

As far as I understand, 800 and 1900 will remain separate from 2500. It's the amount of 2500 that they have that will allow the very high speeds. 

• Like 1

People have said that their stuff is the least technologically advanced of the NV vendors.

Yes, I also have seen some people claim that, but to the best of my knowledge no one has ever actually been able to provide any hard evidence of that being the case. It seems almost like an urban legend  :imo:

• Like 1

People have said that their stuff is the least technologically advanced of the NV vendors.

ALU CDMA/LTE gear is so so. Their TDD-LTE solutions though is good stuff as seen when China selected them as one of their TDD-LTE vendors. 

• Like 1

Yes, I also have seen some people claim that, but to the best of my knowledge no one has ever actually been able to provide any hard evidence of that being the case. It seems almost like an urban legend  :imo:

Here ya go:

ALU CDMA/LTE gear is so so. Their TDD-LTE solutions though is good stuff as seen when China selected them as one of their TDD-LTE vendors. 

If Robert is going to put it in his driveway or yard, I would probably recommend one of these...

painted%20cow.jpg

We have plenty of them in Kansas City, maybe because Sprint is headquartered in Overland Park.

;)

AJ

I'm with you in spirit AJ, but I don't think cows are going to fix this problem. Anyone who's been watching the news knows there is a cow shortage in SD right now due to the number of cows that were killed during the blizzard. I have a solution to this problem though.

f1d759c79bc419c4cda4c33e26c79c1e.jpg

I agree.  I'm a Ting customer as well and am fine with limiting my bandwidth usage. 

Not saying this is what you should do, but if a Nexus 5 at $350 works on Ting on all 3 bands.  That's very tempting to me.

Yep. I am waiting eagerly to see how this will be sold and if not through the Play store.. if Ting would sell it.