LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

Wow, thanks.

So the only info is from the status bar? On iOS 7 it is only the dots and network type I think.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Wait, are you talking about Sensorly or SignalCheck? Sensorly is the app that maps data connections so people can get a feel for how the network has been built in a city, while SignalCheck tells you about the signal strength and connection type. If you're looking for the latter read the first post in this thread or read this: 

http://www.brianklug.org/2012/09/how-to-switch-from-bars-to-numerical-signal-level-on-ios-without-jailbreaking/

• Like 1

Wait, are you talking about Sensorly or SignalCheck? Sensorly is the app that maps data connections so people can get a feel for how the network has been built in a city, while SignalCheck tells you about the signal strength and connection type. If you're looking for the latter read the first post in this thread or read this: 

http://www.brianklug.org/2012/09/how-to-switch-from-bars-to-numerical-signal-level-on-ios-without-jailbreaking/

you're right, I misspoke. I meant signal check. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity at home I am getting a rouge LTE signal but its at -115dBm phone will switch in and out of 3G and 4G LTE.  I'm hoping this isn't permanent and picking LTE up from a tower from the other side of town.  My 1X signal from the phone's DEBUG menu shows it around -74 Rx Pwr on 1900MHz PCS band, assuming they haven't upgraded the tower I am connecting to for 1X to LTE yet will I get good in house signal for LTE assuming my 1X connection is good since LTE will be on 1900MHz PCS?   

Edited by JossMan

Just out of curiosity at home I am getting a rouge LTE signal but its at -115dBm phone will switch in and out of 3G and 4G LTE.  I'm hoping this isn't permanent and picking LTE up from a tower from the other side of town.  My 1X signal from the phone's DEBUG menu shows it around -74 Rx Pwr on 1900MHz PCS band, assuming they haven't upgraded the tower I am connecting to for 1X to LTE yet will I get good in house signal for LTE assuming my 1X connection is good since LTE will be on 1900MHz PCS?   

My guess is that that the LTE signal and 1X signal are coming from different sites, but it's hard to say for sure without the Cell ID (I think that's what it's called).

bars no longer lie on htc one IF you have the android 4.3 update :P

That's great news. I hope more updates enable LTE signal to be shown in bars. It will alleviate a lot of confusion.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On phone, so I can't really search well, but what is the iOS equivalent of sensorly? I can't see any connection information from the system settings and im looking for the best third party app.

Tia

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

RootMetrics. Allows you to map data speeds.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Via PhoneScoop: "Sprint is prepared to demonstrate new wireless networking technology at an event in Silicon Valley today. The demonstration will show how Sprint plans to use its 2.5GHz spectrum holdings to deliver even faster mobile broadband, reports The Wall Street Journal. Citing sources familiar with Sprint's plans, both the networking technology and handsets that can use it will be available to consumers soon."

More at the link: http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=13124

My guess is that this is about carrier aggregation or some other LTE Advanced features (multicast/broadcast, maybe?).

• Like 4

Via PhoneScoop: "Sprint is prepared to demonstrate new wireless networking technology at an event in Silicon Valley today. The demonstration will show how Sprint plans to use its 2.5GHz spectrum holdings to deliver even faster mobile broadband, reports The Wall Street Journal. Citing sources familiar with Sprint's plans, both the networking technology and handsets that can use it will be available to consumers soon."

More at the link: http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=13124

My guess is that this is about carrier aggregation or some other LTE Advanced features (multicast/broadcast, maybe?).

I just assumed they were just going to show a Band 41 site running at full speed and show some new Triband phones running on it.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I just assumed they were just going to show a Band 41 site running at full speed and show some new Triband phones running on it.

That would make more sense. Wonder if they'll leak the Nexus 5? :)

• Like 1

Is there going to be anyone on hand to get video or do a review of the demonstration? Im really curious to see the real world results.

Anything demonstration to get from this presentation isn't going to be real world results. Check Robert's trip to Colorado post for real world results.

This is the part that sucks: Sprint explained that it will have to build 12 to 15 cell towers with 2.5GHz to match the coverage provided by just one cell site with 700MHz.

Here's the link to the true source if anyone needs it: http://stream.wsj.com/story/latest-headlines/SS-2-63399/SS-2-368031/

Radio heads

A key ingredient enabling Sprint Spark is equipment compatibility with the architecture of the Sprint initiative known as Network Vision. Alcatel-Lucent, Nokia Solutions and Networks and Samsung have been selected to provide 2.5GHz radio heads and to enable Sprint Spark. Each company will service approximately one-third of Sprint's deployment markets. These 2.5GHz radios are expected to have capabilities for 8 Transmitters 8 Receivers (8T8R), which will be a first deployment of its kind in North America. These radios will be capable of improved coverage, capacity and speeds when compared to the more traditional 2T2R or 4T4R radios used by our competitors.

:) NSN Flexis and no Ericsson! 

• Like 16

Sprint released a press release a few minutes ago concerning their Tri-Band Network....Gives some hints about other Tri-Band Devices and even gives the network a name: "Sprint Spark"

Thought you may be curious...Check it out here

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-demonstrates-1-gigabit-over-the-air-speed-at-silicon-valley-lab.htm?view_id=9619

• Like 1

I wish they wouldn't use inter-band carrier aggregation at all.  If people can use 2.5, there's no reason to let them use 1900 or 800.  If they can use 1900, I can't think of a good reason to let them use 800. 

Unless you care about speedtests.

Also, no triband for the g2 until 2014?!? Unfortunate.

• Like 2