LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

I'm stuck on what I should do...the earpiece problem is seemingly worse for me now, post-update than it was prior to it...

I haven't had any time to ask around here and see if anyone else is having the same problem...so what's the verdict?

I can use speakerphone or plug in a headset, and voice sounds just fine...but on the earpiece, I can hardly hear what anyone is saying to me.

Tried enabling and disabling Voice Privacy...no luck.

Could it be defective ....?

Airave, roaming, native signal...it's all the same. Voice sounds like crap coming through the earpiece...but on speaker or headset, it's just fine.

Honestly it doesn't matter to me that Sprint doesn't have the Spark update yet for the LG G2. I want Qualcomm and LG to continue making improvements to the baseband to improve LTE reception. Even if the Spark update is available now, LTE 800 is still not accessible to anyone yet. I have a feeling when the Spark update is available to the LG G2 and Nexus 5 that Sprint will announce the availability of LTE 800 in several markets.

I thought there were a few cities that have 800 LTE. I saw a couple of sites in Chicago, Houston, parts of Wisconsin and parts of Florida had it. So are those not active yet?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I thought there were a few cities that have 800 LTE. I saw a couple of sites in Chicago, Houston, parts of Wisconsin and parts of Florida had it. So are those not active yet?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

There are 800 LTE sites completed, but as of now Sprint is not allowing connections.

Sent from my LG G2.

• Like 1

I'm stuck on what I should do...the earpiece problem is seemingly worse for me now, post-update than it was prior to it...

I haven't had any time to ask around here and see if anyone else is having the same problem...so what's the verdict?

I can use speakerphone or plug in a headset, and voice sounds just fine...but on the earpiece, I can hardly hear what anyone is saying to me.

Tried enabling and disabling Voice Privacy...no luck.

Could it be defective ....?

Airave, roaming, native signal...it's all the same. Voice sounds like crap coming through the earpiece...but on speaker or headset, it's just fine.

My G2 does that as well, but not to the extent yours does.  When I get a crackling call, if I switch to speaker, it sounds just fine - it only crackles through the earpiece speaker.  Not every single call I get crackles either.  Some calls crackle and some don't.  One that crackles for sure every time is my VOIP voicemail.  If called from any phone other than the G2 it's fine. 

Here's a weird one as well.  When I get a crackling call in the earpiece, turning the volume up the entire way makes it sound normal (the crackling stops) - but then it's too loud.  This has only started since the ZV8 update.

Here is some interesting information that I wanted to share with everyone:

I went to the Sprint store this morning and checked out a few phones.  I wanted to compare signal strength to my LG G2.  I'm interested in the HTC One Max so I wanted to see how it compared to my G2. 

HTC One Max:  Same dBm as G2

Samsung Galaxy Note 3:  Same dBm as G2  (single band device)

Samsung Galaxy S4: +10 dBm better than G2  (single band device)

LG Nexus 5:  +10 dBm Better than G2

I had each phone side by side and observed the signal strength over a 5 minute period.

Above are the findings.  I didn't check firmware versions, only signal strength as the phones were displayed in the store. 

• Like 1

Here is some interesting information that I wanted to share with everyone:

I went to the Sprint store this morning and checked out a few phones. I wanted to compare signal strength to my LG G2. I'm interested in the HTC One Max so I wanted to see how it compared to my G2.

HTC One Max: Same dBm as G2

Samsung Galaxy Note 3: Same dBm as G2 (single band device)

Samsung Galaxy S4: +10 dBm better than G2 (single band device)

LG Nexus 5: +10 dBm Better than G2

I had each phone side by side and observed the signal strength over a 5 minute period.

Above are the findings. I didn't check firmware versions, only signal strength as the phones were displayed in the store.

That's a good start. To be scientific, you can add these other points:

1. Make sure they are exactly in the same position on a table. Exactly. You should try them not touched at all. And the try them held also. Just be sure to hold them exactly in the same position.

2. Verify site connected to, sector and channel. They all have to be connected to exactly the same site/sector/channel to be accurate. For instance, the Note 3 may have a better radio, but may have been connected to another sector on the same site because it had a lower Ec/Io ratio. And since the sector was pointing a different direction, the signal could have been 10dB worse.

As you get closer to any of the three transition zones between sectors, the stronger radio performers have an increased chance of changing sectors and having a weaker signal. This is true of stronger radio performers and other sites. A strong radio performer is much more likely to switch to a weaker signal site that will perform better than a weak RF performing site.

3. Location matters. The final factor in RF performance testing is that it needs to be done in strong, moderate and weak signal areas to be conclusive. If you only test in strong signal areas, it's not a very good test. You will only know which device is best when the signal is good. And who cares if someone has a great signal or fantastic signal when near a site. Won't make much difference.

You would think that a device that is 10dB better than the other when the signal is strong would be better in all signal conditions. But that is not always true. Most people actually just want to know which device is the best RF performer in marginal signal areas. Not in good to great signal areas. And to do weak signal area tests, you have to find a good spot near the edge of service for the provider. You can't do that in the middle of a city. I had some great areas in NM to do this.

Don't see this as a correction in many sense. Just trying to help folks understand that RF performance testing is much more complex than looking at dBm on a display on several devices. And you can use this as a guide to conduct your own device RF testing.

If any of you embark on such a journey, one last word of advice. Cycle and repeat. When I was doing device RF testing, I would cycle my devices being tested. I would do observations all on one device, and then the next. I would do one set of observations on a device, then another and another. And then go back to the first. I would take no less than 3 observations per test and average them. I would try to do 5. Then I would repeat them again in the future at that location, at least once. To try to rule out any network anomalies.

In my testing, I had a specific location for strong, moderate and weak signal places for testing. Then I would test each device 5 times (signal, data speed and Ec/Io) both on a flat surface and held, rotating through all the devices in each location. And then I would repeat this at the same location another day and time to get a broader measurement. This is as close to scientific as we can get.

You would be surprised to see how performance changes from one device to another while holding it, or in weak signal areas. It's really hard to declare any one a flat out winner based on a limited test. Some will just be better for some types of uses. One that appears to be best in a store, may be the worst when holding in your hand and at the edge of service.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

I went to the Sprint store this morning and checked out a few phones. I wanted to compare signal strength to my LG G2. I'm interested in the HTC One Max so I wanted to see how it compared to my G2.

Nice job, appreciate the effort! Just curious.. were you comparing LTE signals or something else? What were you using to view the signal readings?

-Mike

Nice job, appreciate the effort! Just curious.. were you comparing LTE signals or something else? What were you using to view the signal readings?

-Mike

I was observing LTE performance. The Sprint store where I went, is on a cell edge. They have no repeater. The signal levels were all -107 to -110 dBm except for the N5 and GS4 which hung around -97 dBm.

On my phone, the G2, I looked at both your SignalCheck Pro and the network strength under "settings, about phone", which agreed.   The store display phones I looked at, I used "settings, about phone..."  

I held the devices and switched them between my right and ledt hands. The signals remained pretty consistant throughout my testing. After all, I was in a Sprint store.  I was limited as to what I could do with tethered phones. 

Rudimentary at best, but I wanted to see how well the One Max RF reception was compared to my G2. As long as I was there, I looked at the few other popular devices as well.

Nothing scientific, but it cured my curiosity...

• Like 1

Not sure if I'm satisfied with this device. Development is SLOW and the radio is frustrating. I bought my brother a N5 as a gift and he gave me his upgrade for January. If LG doesn't improve the LTE performance on this device to somewhat similar to the Nexus, I'll probably jump ship to the next big thing in Feb/March.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Not sure if I'm satisfied with this device. Development is SLOW and the radio is frustrating. I bought my brother a N5 as a gift and he gave me his upgrade for January. If LG doesn't improve the LTE performance on this device to somewhat similar to the Nexus, I'll probably jump ship to the next big thing in Feb/March.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Team d3rp is cooking up some thangs.... :tu: No issues with radio on this end but it does seem to be hit or miss. Jumping ship might not be that bad unless its a downgrade because I don't think I could ever go back to less than 4-5hr screen on time and 16-20hr of up time on 1 battery charge OR less than the speed of sd800.  Everything else seems slow now.  (*There were rumors of LG G3 floating but they won't be substantiated until Feb)

Team d3rp is cooking up some thangs.... :tu: No issues with radio on this end but it does seem to be hit or miss. Jumping ship might not be that bad unless its a downgrade because I don't think I could ever go back to less than 4-5hr screen on time and 16-20hr of up time on 1 battery charge OR less than the speed of sd800. Everything else seems slow now. (*There were rumors of LG G3 floating but they won't be substantiated until Feb)

I've been very impressed with the radio performance of my brothers N5. It's noticeably better with maintaining an LTE signal and when I was using his phone for a few days, it literally felt like I was on another network. Thinking about selling this G2 and swapping out to a N5 now. I stuck with the G2 because I heard the radio performance would likely be better in an update (it was said Verizon's radio update before OTA was like n5 performance on 4G) but now the OTA is out and people are saying the radio is similar to previous so my hopes for a better radio are low.

I would be sacrificing the Battery but the time I spend waiting for pages/pictures to load offset the battery use IMO if I switched to the N5.

Sent from my LG-LS980

I've been very impressed with the radio performance of my brothers N5. It's noticeably better with maintaining an LTE signal and when I was using his phone for a few days, it literally felt like I was on another network. Thinking about selling this G2 and swapping out to a N5 now. I stuck with the G2 because I heard the radio performance would likely be better in an update (it was said Verizon's radio update before OTA was like n5 performance on 4G) but now the OTA is out and people are saying the radio is similar to previous so my hopes for a better radio are low.

I would be sacrificing the Battery but the time I spend waiting for pages/pictures to load offset the battery use IMO if I switched to the N5.

Sent from my LG-LS980

I know what you mean about the LTE performance of the G2.  That's exactly why I tried a few other devices today at the Sprint store.  From my totally unscientific, rudimentary testing, I at least satisfied my own curiosity if there were devices out there that receiver a better LTE signal than the G2.  I really wanted to see if the One Max was as bad as its specs on paper.  It appears that the One Max can at least equal the G2 in LTE performance (which isn't saying much). 

So are you saying that the Verizon OTA on the G2 didn't improve it much?  I thought that "ericdabbs" said (...and I apologize if I misquote him), the users of the Verizon G2 saw about a 10 dBm gain after the update.

I know what you mean about the LTE performance of the G2. That's exactly why I tried a few other devices today at the Sprint store. From my totally unscientific, rudimentary testing, I at least satisfied my own curiosity if there were devices out there that receiver a better LTE signal than the G2. I really wanted to see if the One Max was as bad as its specs on paper. It appears that the One Max can at least equal the G2 in LTE performance (which isn't saying much).

So are you saying that the Verizon OTA on the G2 didn't improve it much? I thought that "ericdabbs" said (...and I apologize if I misquote him), the users of the Verizon G2 saw about a 10 dBm gain after the update.

That's what I heard but users are reporting no gain in radio performance in the Verizon OTA thread via XDA.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Sent from my LG-LS980

I'm wouldn't jump to the n5 unless you plan on rooting and rolling back the modem. The latest 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 killed the LTE reception. In scared that when the tri band update is released its going to make the band 25 reception worst.

I thought about buying the g2 but when I was at the sprint store and all the devices were on 3g and the n5 was on LTE my choice was easy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That's what I heard but users are reporting no gain in radio performance in the Verizon OTA thread via XDA.

Sent from my LG-LS980

WOW, I'm sorry to hear that!  I guess we're stuck then, unless we swap out the device for the N5.  I wouldn't know how to keep the older radio on the N5, so I'd be stuck with the new version that many users feel is not as good as the original. 

I often wonder why cell system providers don't require an excellent level of radio/antenna performance out of all the devices they allow on their systems.  Look at the differences between the G2 and the N5.  Why should a G2 owner have to put up with less RF performance than a  N5 user?  I don't get it.

WOW, I'm sorry to hear that!  I guess we're stuck then, unless we swap out the device for the N5.  I wouldn't know how to keep the older radio on the N5, so I'd be stuck with the new version that many users feel is not as good as the original. 

I often wonder why cell system providers don't require an excellent level of radio/antenna performance out of all the devices they allow on their systems.  Look at the differences between the G2 and the N5.  Why should a G2 owner have to put up with less RF performance than a  N5 user?  I don't get it.

There are so many variables that come into play with "real world" performance that it's got to be a really hard target to hit.  I mean, I think night and day differences (such as the EVO LTE compared to everything else LTE) are surprising but what we see from G2 and others vs the N5 may come down do design and obviously software. 

That's my very unscientific 2c.  :)

WOW, I'm sorry to hear that! I guess we're stuck then, unless we swap out the device for the N5. I wouldn't know how to keep the older radio on the N5, so I'd be stuck with the new version that many users feel is not as good as the original.

I often wonder why cell system providers don't require an excellent level of radio/antenna performance out of all the devices they allow on their systems. Look at the differences between the G2 and the N5. Why should a G2 owner have to put up with less RF performance than a N5 user? I don't get it.

It 100% has to do with the Baseband. The modem software that tells the radios how to function and the RIL. Because Google codes the Baseband for the N5, it's different in terms of performance of the G2. If the Google Engineers worked on the G2 radio as well, we'd probably be set.

Sent from my LG-LS980

It just upsets me that the value of our phone is already so low...$350 off contract for brand new on Swappa.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Yeah, i know.  I just read an Internet article on how poorly the G2 is selling vs LG's expectations.  I hope LG actually does indeed recode the baseband, fix the crackling earpiece volume and fix the lousy GPS performance rather than abandon the G2 and move on to the next model.  The battery life can't be beat.  What a waste if the RF performance stays where it is now...

There are so many variables that come into play with "real world" performance that it's got to be a really hard target to hit.  I mean, I think night and day differences (such as the EVO LTE compared to everything else LTE) are surprising but what we see from G2 and others vs the N5 may come down do design and obviously software. 

That's my very unscientific 2c.  :)

Let's hope if it is indeed software, a forthcoming update will at least enhance some of the lousy attributes... 

• Like 1

The radio on my G2 seems fantastic, I don't see how so many feel it's lacking.

You just lucked out and got one of the good ones!  :)

Other than my lousy RF performance, I noticed around the Harrisburg area, in numerous places, my G2 gets stuck on 3G.  When back in a strong LTE area, the only way to receive LTE again is to cycle the radio.  I've waited up to 20 minutes and finally gave up and then switched in and out of airplane mode.  This may be a Sprint network issue though - not sure. 

It 100% has to do with the Baseband. The modem software that tells the radios how to function and the RIL. Because Google codes the Baseband for the N5, it's different in terms of performance of the G2. If the Google Engineers worked on the G2 radio as well, we'd probably be set.

It is not that simple. Coordination among firmware, baseband, RF front end, and antennas seems to be something of a black art.

AJ

• Like 1