LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

Yes!!!! the dimensions of the LG G2 (from wikipedia source) match the FCC docs for the Sprint variant of the LG G2 of 138.5 mm Height x 70.9 mm Width.  Also the other major carrier variants have also hit the FCC already.  Hopefully this phone gets released before the iPhone 5S/6.

Link to FCC docs.  Look at the "RF Exposure Info" doc on pg. 5

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=521495&fcc_id=ZNFLS980

My iPhone 3GS still has over 50% usability on the original battery 4 years after the fact. Fixed batteries seem to do much better than user replaceable batteries in most of the tests I have done.

To me, around 50% is not usable. Interesting comparison regarding fixed vs non-fixed though. Which other phones/companies have you compared?

To me, around 50% is not usable. Interesting comparison regarding fixed vs non-fixed though. Which other phones/companies have you compared?

I haven't. My Galaxy Nexus sucked so bad for battery life. My Evo Shift did too, and my Viper. But my iPhone 3GS had about 85% usable battery life when I retired it in 2011 and switched to Sprint from at&stinks.

Your best hope is a Motorola X Phone II with tri-band support! :D Motorola nowadays is pretty Google-esque.

But, yeah, like you, i would love to have a Google phone. I did have a Nexus S 4G...what a POS! But that was more of Samsung fault than Google's. Update was not all that quick from what i remember (GB to ICS)....and it didn't run that well on the phone.

Sigh, I happen to be running that pos. Upgrade eligible though. Just biding my time until I find something I absolutely have to get.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 4

I haven't. My Galaxy Nexus sucked so bad for battery life. My Evo Shift did too, and my Viper. But my iPhone 3GS had about 85% usable battery life when I retired it in 2011 and switched to Sprint from at&stinks.

Well in defense of iOS, it is a very efficient operating system and to be honest you can't really compare it with android.  No matter what, when it comes to "hours per mah of use", iOS kills android no matter the device.

Well in defense of iOS, it is a very efficient operating system and to be honest you can't really compare it with android. No matter what, when it comes to "hours per mah use", iOS kills android no matter the device.

I'm specifically talking about wear and tear on the battery over the span of a contract, and it was still 85% a year and a half after I bought it.

I'm specifically talking about wear and tear on the battery over the span of a contract, and it was still 85% a year and a half after I bought it.

Oh, I fully understand but it still has to do with what I said.  Being that iOS is much more efficient, on average, you won't feel the effects as much as an android device with similar wear and tear.

Oh, I fully understand but it still has to do with what I said. Being that iOS is much more efficient, on average, you won't feel the effects as much as an android device with similar wear and tear.

Oh. I see what you mean now. If you still have your EVO LTE, how is the battery life now compared to a year ago when it first came out in terms of capacity left on it?

Oh. I see what you mean now. If you still have your EVO LTE, how is the battery life now compared to a year ago when it first came out in terms of capacity left on it?

LOL, I was going to mention my evo in my last post but yeah, I sold my nexus and replaced it with my evo(not counting the 2 days with the gs4) so I can put the One on my main line.  Honestly, I can definitely tell the difference between now and then.  When I first got the evo my battery would last me from 7am when I got to my office to 6pm by the time I got home and with my personal usage I would still have about 40% remaining.  Now over a year later I would say that by mid afternoon I have to put my phone back on the charger with similar usage or else by 6 my phone will be close to dead if not totally dead.

LOL, I was going to mention my evo in my last post but yeah, I sold my nexus and replaced it with my evo(not counting the 2 days with the gs4) so I can put the One on my main line.  Honestly, I can definitely tell the difference between now and then.  When I first got the evo my battery would last me from 7am when I got to my office to 6pm by the time I got home and with my personal usage I would still have about 40% remaining.  Now over a year later I would say that by mid afternoon I have to put my phone back on the charger with similar usage or else by 6 my phone will be close to dead if not totally dead.

Wow. I didn't realize how bad the batteries can get.

Wow. I didn't realize how bad the batteries can get.

Its not surprising when you think about it.  I don't know about other smartphone users but how much time does your smartphone stay turned off? For me its never, so basically our phone's battery is always in use either getting charged or getting discharged.

Its not surprising when you think about it.  I don't know about other smartphone users but how much time does your smartphone stay turned off? For me its never, so basically our phone's battery is always in use either getting charged or getting discharged.

When I'm working I can't use my phone as much, but where I usually work, my phone is in a really weak signal area, so battery life really suffers badly, and I usually charge my phone at the customers house/business while I'm working.

I didn't actually comment on the G2 earlier so I'll take my time and do that now.

I'm pretty pumped for this phone. I was banking s4 or note 3, but now I may drop the s4 in Favor of the G2. The phone I have now gives me 13.31 of my 16GB of storage and I barely use 3GB of it. This phone doesn't have an SD slot either, but I wasn't all that let down about it. I've had this phone 20 months (with a removable battery) and have had no need to replace the battery.

Something I prefer to this phone over the s4 is the practicality of all the software features and UI. Granted it's very similar to the touchwiz interface it manages to keep everything useful. Knock on, the volume button camera shortcut. Unlike in the s4 where I would never use much of their software/gimmicky bloat.

I'm definitely interested in this phone when we get an approximate internal memory after factoring android os, LGui, and carrier bloat. Anything on par with what the s4 starts with and I'm sold, but more is always better. Whether I come close to using it all up or not. Then it's all about seeing what the note 3 brings.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 4

I am seriously considering the LG G2 for my next phone. The only issue i have come across so far is that the orginal Optimus G for Sprint seems to have similar issues with radios that the EVO has. This makes me quite uneasy to take the leap when it first comes out. I guess i will wait till the reviews on radio performance come out. 

I am seriously considering the LG G2 for my next phone. The only issue i have come across so far is that the orginal Optimus G for Sprint seems to have similar issues with radios that the EVO has. This makes me quite uneasy to take the leap when it first comes out. I guess i will wait till the reviews on radio performance come out. 

What radio problem on the original G? 

After a night of thinking, I am a tiny bit more open to the G2...but I pray that Sprint brings the 32GB model.  13MP and 1080p camera/video take up a lot of internal memory! 

• Like 1

Yes I do think Samsung is number 1 because of the removable batteries and SD slots.

Im saying this based on experience I had at verizon, and anecdotal covnersations with friends and family. When I was at Verizon customer care, every day people would ask me "do I get x or y". Id mention the battery and sd card and thats what theyd go for.

Dont bring Apple into this. People buy the iphone in spite of those limitations, not because of.

When it comes to the android eco-system, there are dozens of options. If youre not going to offer what I consider a critical feature, then I will buy the very popular, and very competent phone that does.

Samsung is numero UNO because of marketing. It's really that simple, honestly. You might think it's because of the removable battery, and SD but it's not. Marketing works, and that why companies with deep pockets invest so much money into it. When a product has a large market presence, it makes people (the masses) believe that it IS the better product. As for more informed users, they probably base their decisions on hard facts, not marketing that would make you believe you phone will make magical whimsical rainbows and send you into a euphoria.

Just my two cents...

-Luis

I know everyone is concentrating on the radios and I like this discussion.  But I did not have enough time to read through 16 pages of the thread to find an answer to this.  Does anyone know if the SIM is soldered on like the initial batch of LTE phones?  I thought I would simply ask and see if anyone knew this info or not. 

I know everyone is concentrating on the radios and I like this discussion.  But I did not have enough time to read through 16 pages of the thread to find an answer to this.  Does anyone know if the SIM is soldered on like the initial batch of LTE phones?  I thought I would simply ask and see if anyone knew this info or not. 

Just curious but why does that matter? Sprint devices are locked to Sprint and require preauthorization from Sprint to be activated. 

Samsung is numero UNO because of marketing. It's really that simple, honestly. You might think it's because of the removable battery, and SD but it's not. Marketing works, and that why companies with deep pockets invest so much money into it. When a product has a large market presence, it makes people (the masses) believe that it IS the better product. As for more informed users, they probably base their decisions on hard facts, not marketing that would make you believe you phone will make magical whimsical rainbows and send you into a euphoria.

Just my two cents...

-Luis

I guess thats why we're all using windows phones and surface tablets. And why the Lone Ranger was the biggest hit of the decade.

In S4GRU RF performance testing, the LGOG was equal to the Note 2 in PCS EVDO performance and about the same as the Viper in LTE performance. It was much better than the EVO LTE. The only place the LGOG lacked in our testing was EVDO performance on the 850 Cellular band.

AJ did some RF performance testing on the LGOG on SMR 800. He mentioned to me that it was not quite as good as his HTC One. So the LGOG may not be all that good on CDMA 800 (which we did not test). However, given 800's propagation superiority, this may not be so bad. And these results are not surprising given our 850,roaming testing.

But in all ways to measure RF performance, it beat the EVO LTE. It is a mid range RF performer overall, and an excellent 3G EVDO performer.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

In S4GRU RF performance testing, the LGOG was equal to the Note 2 in PCS EVDO performance and about the same as the Viper in LTE performance. It was much better than the EVO LTE. The only place the LGOG lacked in our testing was EVDO performance on the 850 Cellular band.

AJ did some RF performance testing on the LGOG on SMR 800. He mentioned to me that it was not quite as good as his HTC One. So the LGOG may not be all that good on CDMA 800 (which we did not test). However, given 800's propagation superiority, this may not be so bad. And these results are not surprising given our 850,roaming testing.

But in all ways to measure RF performance, it beat the EVO LTE. It is a mid range RF performer overall, and an excellent 3G EVDO performer.

Didn't the Viper have below average LTE performance or am I thinking of another low-end phone by LG?  

Which device is the best in terms of LTE 1900 performance, do you think?  Out of currently released devices, of course.

Didn't the Viper have below average LTE performance or am I thinking of another low-end phone by LG?

Which device is the best in terms of LTE 1900 performance, do you think? Out of currently released devices, of course.

The Viper had pretty solid results on LTE. The Viper was super awful 1x/voice. One of the worst I've ever checked. It's amazing anyone can hold a call with that thing!

• Like 1

I guess thats why we're all using windows phones and surface tablets. And why the Lone Ranger was the biggest hit of the decade.

Very clever... To elaborate on your point, I don't watch cable or anything, so I obviously don't watch commercials and what not, but most of the advertising I do see online is for Samsung and Apple. When I'm out and about I see many signs for the Galaxy phones, and Apple as well. I don't see much of WP8 or Surface tablets, and as far as the Lone Ranger, I don't go to the movies and decide there, I already know what movie I'm gonna watch.

Besides marketing, what also factors into popularity is public opinion, and even though Americans want to think themselves as individualistic as possible, peers opinions do factor in. The conflict of wanting to fit in and be as "normal" as possible, as hard as that may be to believe for some, does push people to conform, and what easier way to conform than by following the crowds that buy all these popular devices. The reason WP8 hasn't taken off is because no one really has it, the only people that use them are really, as someone here said, "edge users" or just people that just really do like WP8, the same goes for Surface. The expectations set on you by society are only made more explicit through marketing, and further solidified by peoples inability to do without the wisdom of the crowd.

Just saying.

-Luis

• Like 2

Not sure if there was any question left about this, but here is confirmation from Sprint about tri-band support. 

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/lgs-g2-support-sprints-tri-mode-lte-networks/2013-08-08

LG Electronics' newest flagship smartphone, the G2, will support all three LTE spectrum bands Sprint (NYSE:S) will soon be using--800 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2.5 GHz. Although Sprint has long said it will deploy LTE across the three bands, LG's support of Sprint's spectrum portfolio indicates that device makers are actively seeding Sprint's customers with tri-mode smartphones.

• Like 2