LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

According to this page, it appears we'll get a 32GB variant.

http://www.lg.com/global/g2/sub3.html

Says Battery is 3000 MAh, and it's got 1x/EvDo as the supported radios. So I know this specs page is referring to international version, rather than Korean version.

I think they're being general on that page. If you notice in the LTE part it lists SVLTE but we know from FCC documentation that the Sprint variant doesn't have that. Also, I can't remember which one but one of the Korean operators uses (or used) 1XEVDO.

EDIT: It appears that the operator that uses EVDO was, ironically, LG U+.

Is it definite that its not going to be SVLTE?

Theres no chance that the analysis of the FCC filing is false?!@!@#

Yes its pretty definitive that it won't support SVLTE. In order to have SVLTE, the phone must have separate transmission paths for CDMA and LTE.  See below on more details.  Like they say the proof is in the pudding.

We will start with the LG G2.  From looking at the FCC filing for LG G2 screenshot below (Left screenshot) you can see that CDMA AND LTE 800/1900 (BC 25 and BC 26) go through the same antenna (lavender color).  Also you can see from the screenshot below (left bottom screenshot) that there are only 2 transmission paths for the LG G2 ...all the cellular stuff (LTE, CDMA/EVDO) in Path 1 and BT/Wifi in Path 2.

Contrast that with the Galaxy S4 which supports SVLTE where CDMA and LTE 1900 go through separate paths.  From the screenshot below (middle screenshot), CDMA has one path (yellow color) and LTE has one path (red color).

Unfortunately it looks like at least the first generation of triband LTE devices do not support SVLTE.  Perhaps triband LTE devices in 2014 could bring back SVLTE but I doubt it.  I personally don't talk and surf at all really so this won't affect me much but it would still be a nice handy feature to have.

Source for Galaxy S4 info, AJ and his article

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-343-updated-a-short-time-from-now-in-a-galaxy-not-far-away/

LG G2.jpg

Galaxy S4.jpg

LG G2 Tx Paths.jpg

Yes its pretty definitive that it won't support SVLTE. In order to have SVLTE, the phone must have separate paths for CDMA and LTE.

We will start with the LG G2. From looking at the FCC for LG G2 screenshot below (Left screenshot) you can see that CDMA AND LTE 800/1900 (BC 25 and BC 26) go through the same antenna (lavender color).

Looks like it could theoretically support SVLTE on BC 41 (ex-Clearwire TD-LTE 2500), since those use completely separate antennas, but whether the radio and baseband will support doing that is a different question entirely. And that would be of limited utility in most markets anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Looks like it could theoretically support SVLTE on BC 41 (ex-Clearwire TD-LTE 2500), since those use completely separate antennas, but whether the radio and baseband will support doing that is a different question entirely. And that would be of limited utility in most markets anyway.

Right I remember I brought this issue up before in some post either in this thread or somewhere else that perhaps BC41 (LTE 2600) would be able to perform SVLTE but I remember AJ replied back saying that it wasn't able to.  I am trying to look for the post but I can't remember where I posted.  I do remember it because another poster brought up the idea and I responded to it which got me thinking.

If it were able to perform SVLTE over BC41 only, it would be rather strange that the functionality would work sometimes and not others (assuming you are not an LTE engineering menu addict).

Maybe AJ can chime in as to what his explanation was that not even BC41 would be able to do SVLTE.

I dunno, on my WiMax device I find Clearwire 2500 fairly useful (I can use WiMax while talking but not 3g).

I dunno, on my WiMax device I find Clearwire 2500 fairly useful (I can use WiMax while talking but not 3g).

that is because Wimax and CDMA are on separate transmission paths.  CDMA and EVDO (3G) share the same transmission path hence no 3G while talking.

I have the Moto Photon and I am able to use 4G and talk at the same time but not 3G and talk at the same time.

that is because Wimax and CDMA are on separate transmission paths.  CDMA and EVDO (3G) share the same transmission path hence no 3G while talking.

I have the Moto Photon and I am able to use 4G and talk at the same time but not 3G and talk at the same time.

Yeah I get that but my poorly made point was that being able to get data from Clearwire towers is only of "limited utility" until you consider how many towers they will be putting 2500 LTE on vs how many Clear towers currently broadcast WiMax. I think it would be of great use to do this but I doubt it will be available.

Maybe AJ can chime in as to what his explanation was that not even BC41 would be able to do SVLTE.

Separate antennas do not necessarily entail totally separate radio paths.  The separate antennas could be on the same radio path with a pole switch in between.

AJ

Separate antennas do not necessarily entail totally separate radio paths.  The separate antennas could be on the same radio path with a pole switch in between.

AJ

So where do you read in the FCC filings in generatl that talks about all the transmission paths that are available on a phone?

Separate antennas do not necessarily entail totally separate radio paths. The separate antennas could be on the same radio path with a pole switch in between.

AJ

I once saw a dancer make a fantastic pole switch...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

So where do you read in the FCC filings in generatl that talks about all the transmission paths that are available on a phone?

The simultaneous transmission modes, hence transmission paths, are usually detailed under the SAR testing.

AJ

I once saw a dancer make a fantastic pole switch...

...while you were switching your pole in your pocket?

AJ

Mid September for At&t and Verizon. Sprint is usually either ahead or on par with at&t in terms of release so we'll see. :P

http://m.androidcentral.com/lg-g2-launching-us-carriers-mid-september

It can't be.....Verizon releasing a flagship phone before the rest of the major carriers.  This must be a typo...haha.  I guess LG and Verizon were able to resolve the Verizon logo issues a lot faster than HTC and Verizon with the HTC One.

• Like 1

Gah! The lack of information on this device is killing me! Somebody supply me with new Sprint info!

What info do you want that hasn't already been given? I'm interested in seeing what people think of it, but as far as I know no one even has any review samples.

What info do you want that hasn't already been given? I'm interested in seeing what people think of it, but as far as I know no one even has any review samples.

Looking for a release date. I'm sold on the device.
  • Like 2

Gah! The lack of information on this device is killing me! Somebody supply me with new Sprint info!

What info do you want that hasn't already been given?

The information is already out there.  "The cat totally out of the bag!  You're still standing here debating.  Don, what the hell else do you need?"

(NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFbNRS-1WVw

AJ