LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

But, by the time this phone comes to Sprint (Sept or Oct), it won't have the distinction for much longer (if at all).

True for the Note 3 which should have the same processor. 

Well, using Samsung is a good example because they're the only ones that now truly have SD card slots/removable batteries. Apple's been losing ground for years now and Samsung is the number 1 cell phone manufacturer. I'm disappointed with the turn out, too. I may actually skip on this device now. They had my money based on the rumors yesterday but this announcement disappointed me.

I don't think so. if that statement were true then how do you explain the iPhone's success? 

It never had a removable battery nor external storage.

Do some research and I can guarantee you will see sales are in direct correlation with marketing budget.

No one else spends like Apple and Samsung. Why do you think Google is budgeting $500 million to market the Moto X.

They know the power users like us don't constitute the majority of consumers that's why they made the Moto X what it is.

But, by the time this phone comes to Sprint (Sept or Oct), it won't have the distinction for much longer (if at all).

Yes that is true but it will still be first to be available to purchase.

I don't think so.

Do some research and I can guarantee you will see sales are in direct correlation with marketing budget.

No one else spends like Apple and Samsung. Why do you think Google is budgeting $500 million to market the Moto X.

They know the power users like us don't constitute the majority of consumers that's why they made the Moto X what it is.

Windows phone would like to have a word with you.

Yes that is true but it will still be first to be available to purchase.

True, but a few weeks wait ain't earthshattering!  Apple for instance releases their phone pretty damn quickly after event.

True, but a few weeks wait ain't earthshattering! Apple for instance releases their phone pretty damn quickly after event.

That's an eternity to us eager power users  :lol: 
Are removable batteries and external storage great features? Sure but not deal breakers in my opinion.
If it means making the device more sturdy and thinner, i'll take that trade off.
  • Like 1

Apple is king of vertical integration (ie imessage/factime/etc).

Android is king of choice.

Very true...but as days pass, Android is becoming more Apple-like rather than going away.  Internal memory over SD, which i don't mind that much (and i understand the reasoning...security)...but unfortunately, MOST of the time, Sprint chooses to import the lesser storage phone...so, this sucks.  Apple lets you pick.  Again, i don't mind paying for options.  And now, Android is like Apple with battery.  (And yes, i have ALWAYS bought iPhone 32 or 64GB.)

Where is the choice you speak of?  Samsung is the only game in town...is that choice?  Again, it sucks already that most of aftermarket Android apps can't match competition's higher quality apps.  Exception being Google's core apps, such as navigation and Gmail.

Edited by Thai

That's an eternity to us eager power users  :lol: 

Are removable batteries and external storage great features? Sure but not deal breakers in my opinion.

If it means making the device more sturdy and thinner, i'll take that trade off.

Thinness, maybe.  But GS4 is one tough cookie!!  See the my GS4 video (in GS4 thread). 

Edited by Thai

Wow 5.2 in screen, Snapdragon S800 and 3000 maH battery.  That is pretty impressive.  The only thing that LG has to prove to me with this smartphone is to provide timely future software updates to be on par with Samsung if they want to be competitive and start to take market share from Samsung to LG.

I don't think so. if that statement were true then how do you explain the iPhone's success?

It never had a removable battery nor external storage.

Apple used to own most of the cell phone market share with their OS. I think that since they set the standard and the SD slot/removable battery left people with no other options if they wanted iOS on their phone. However, with Android, we have the option to purchase an HTC, Samsung, (in some cases) Sony, Motorola, and LG. I think in a sense you're right. Marketing for a device boosts sales but no matter how you market a product, there will be people that ignore the ads.

I for one, will most likely wait for the S4 Advanced (hopefully they comes out on Sprint.)

For me, the deal killer with GS4 is the AMOLED performance outside in sunlight. Even though GS4 AMOLED is better than past, it still suffers in sunlight. This is why i had so much hope in the LG G2 with its IPS 5.2 ultra-bright display!!

To be honest, i may still consider LG G2 if Sprint would import the 32GB model. I have my doubts. If no, then it is definitely off my list. Note 3 is too big because my Note 2 is already slightly too big for me. 

So, it would be down to GS4 LTE-A vs. iPhone 5S.  I would likely pick 5S 64GB since iOS7 now offers much of what Android has along with smooth operation.

Edited by Thai

For me, the deal killer with GS4 is the AMOLED performance outside in sunlight.  Even though GS4 AMOLED is better than past, it still suffers in sunlight.  This is why i had so much hope in the LG G2 with its IPS 5.2 ultra-bright display!!

To be honest, i may still consider LG G2 if Sprint would import the 32GB model.  I have my doubts.  If no, then it is definitely off my list.  Note 3 is too big because my Note 2 is already slightly too big for me.

Why not just add a SD card to a 16 GB model of the LG G2?  Not sure if Sprint will carry both the 16 and 32 GB models but I wouldn't blame Sprint if they only carry the 16 GB model.  Its cheaper for the consumer and as long as it has a SD card slot, I don't see too many people complaining.

Why not just add a SD card to a 16 GB model of the LG G2?  Not sure if Sprint will carry both the 16 and 32 GB models but I wouldn't blame Sprint if they only carry the 16 GB model.  Its cheaper for the consumer and as long as it has a SD card slot, I don't see too many people complaining.

You must not have kept up...LG G2 has NO micro-SD and battery is NOT removable.

You must not have kept up...LG G2 has NO micro-SD and battery is NOT removable.

Whoops I was reading the leaks from previous days that suggest a micro SD slot.  In that case, Sprint should offer both the 16 and 32 GB models.  I don't get why these OEMs just don't add the darn micro SD slot or be like HTC and if you don't offer a micro SD slot, just make 32 GB the default storage size.

Looks like SD card WILL be offered in some markets.

Probably just Korea though?

Yup, that is why the pre-release rumors all state that.  But in those market, you also have a smaller battery (26xx vs. 3000).  Fairly useless for us Sprint customers.

So, it would be down to GS4 LTE-A vs. iPhone 5S.

What happens when you wait for a few months and the next iPhone doesn't support 800 & 2600 LTE, and the Sprint GS4-LTEA doesn't exist?

What happens when you wait for a few months and the next iPhone doesn't support 800 & 2600 LTE, and the Sprint GS4-LTEA doesn't exist?

Will see....

Just as I feared... DOA as far as I'm concerned...

The software is a nightmare. Especially after using Motorola's super clean, attractive, and intuitive software on the Moto X (which is basically just stock Android), this is like a developer got all hyped up on Jolt Cola and went nuts. It's not unlike Samsung's TouchWiz in that it's extremely busy and packed to the brim with features no one will never use. But it's worse. It's significantly uglier, with icons that look like something off a feature phone from ten years ago. And the useless features are even more useless. Haven't you always wanted to simply knock on your phone like it was a door in order to turn the screen on? No, you bloody well haven't.

Everywhere you turn there's a cacophony of settings in all sorts of random places. Swipe down the notification panel, and you're inundated with clutter that fills half the screen before you even get down to the notifications themselves. The power button seems to turn the screen off, but not back on (at least in the demo software). It's just bad UI, and it's a major disappointment. How could LG have not learned this lesson yet?

At least LG opted to go with Android's standard on screen buttons. Just kidding! The G2 includes the Home and Back buttons from stock Android, but adds an onscreen menu button instead of a button for multitasking. This seems unnecessary, but who knows, maybe we'll end up liking it in extended testing. You access multitasking by long-pressing the home button. How do you access Google Now, one of Android's most compelling features? We still don't know.

http://gizmodo.com/lg-g2-hands-on-killer-hardware-dead-on-arrival-softwa-1055611732

Personally I like this device(from a hardware perspective anyway) I just don't like the buttons on the back which is totally stupid in my opinion.  I also would have preferred a removable battery and micro sd slot but I don't expect things to stay same as technology advances.  Memory simply can't be that expensive so I don't see why they just don't offer at least a minimum of 32gb of storage if no sd card is supported.  I travel quite frequently and I don't have any issues with my One and battery life, if need be though I do also travel with a portable energizer 8000mah charger which works great.