LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

Just curious but why does that matter? Sprint devices are locked to Sprint and require preauthorization from Sprint to be activated. 

Of course it matters, user accessible sims means that it will be a world edition phone once you can get it unlocked through sprint or through other ways if you're rooted.

Of course it matters, user accessible sims means that it will be a world edition phone once you can get it unlocked through sprint or through other ways if you're rooted.

Ah I wasn't aware. I thought it was only used to provision LTE on Sprint phones.

Ah I wasn't aware. I thought it was only used to provision LTE on Sprint phones.

Yeah, being able to do this comes in very handy.

Well, got another somewhat negative hit on the G2...the ONE point that this morning optimism was based on.  As you may know, LG G2 audio output was reportedly great: uncompressed 24 bit 192kHz.  This was talked about a lot yesterday at the LG event.  I was somewhat excited by this because I love to listen to music on my phone.  (I love my earphone Klipsch X7i.)  Two problems with this:

1.  Uncompressed 24 bit 192kHz downloads take up a ton of space...and with only 10GB or 22GB (16/32 GB models, respectively), your internal memory space is limited. 

2.  (biggie)...is this article I just read: http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

And that article makes sense.  In addition, even though LG audio chip is nice, you still have other interferences and noise from other circuitry that will likely make a mess of things.  It kind of like buying Yugo and then selecting an expensive headunit with the lowest THD.  That headunit is great and all, but in a noisy Yugo environment, it is useless and no better than a Kmart $20 headunit. 

Oh well. 

Edited by Thai

Well, got another somewhat negative hit on the G2...the ONE point that this morning optimism was based on.  As you may know, LG G2 audio output was reportedly great: uncompressed 24 bit 192kHz.  This was talked about a lot yesterday at the LG event.  I was somewhat excited by this because I love to listen to music on my phone.  (I love my earphone Klipsch X7i.)  Two problems with this:

1.  Uncompressed 24 bit 192kHz downloads take up a ton of space...and with only 10GB or 22GB (16/32 GB models, respectively), your internal memory space is limited. 

2.  (biggie)...is this article I just read: http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

And that article makes sense.  In addition, even though LG audio chip is nice, you still have other interferences and noise from other circuitry that will likely make a mess of things.  It kind of like buying Yugo and then selecting an expensive headunit with the lowest THD.  That headunit is great and all, but in a noisy Yugo environment, it is useless and no better than a Kmart $20 headunit. 

Oh well. 

My opinion of this 24 bit / 192 kHz sound is that it is all just a marketing ploy, and is definitely nothing that really matters.

Firstly, For the "uncompressed" comment, who carries around 16 bit / 44.1 kHz WAV files in their music players today in the first place? I certainly don't. Who's going to carry around 24 bit 192 kHz WAV files in the future? Probably only the crazy audiophiles out there.

Secondly, that exact article you linked in your post is correct. Even if you compressed the 24 bit / 192 kHz sound file into something like FLAC or ALAC to save space, it still doesn't matter because anything above 20 kHz is pointless to our ears. There's no reason in my opinion to go above 44.1 kHz because sampling sound at 44.1 KHz gives you a max sound wave frequency of 22 kHz, more than enough to satisfy the human ear.

As this guy says in his comment: 

"The 'visual equivalent' to 192kHz sounds would be recording colours outside the human range. Like recording also infra-reds, microwaves, ultraviolets, and X-Rays.

Things that can't never been seen, because human lack the corresponding apparatus."

-http://news.slashdot.org/story/12/03/06/0048259/why-distributing-music-as-24-bit192khz-downloads-is-pointless

In the end, does it really matter? Not really. I'll be putting in my Google Play Music library on whatever phone I have, and the source files are maximum 320 kbps mp3 files that were originally converted from 16 bit / 44.1 kHz CD or WAV files anyway.

So yes, 24 bit 192 kHz is a pointless marketing ploy. But it's not really a deal breaker in my opinion either. My mp3s will probably sound just as good on the G2 as it does on my GS3.

For me, I'm still up in the air for whether to get the G2 or not. I'm tired of TouchWiz slowing down Android interface, so I'm trying to jump ship to either the G2, or whatever the next HTC flagship will be, hopefully with triband LTE or it becomes the G2 for sure. I was an HTC EVO owner and Sense back then was even more horrendous than TouchWiz, but with the HTC One, Sense has become so much smoother, so I'll be willing to go there. I have yet to use LG's UI, so we'll see how the reviews are when they're up.

Yeah, being able to do this comes in very handy.

Won't you still need an unlock code from Sprint? 

My understanding is that they never give out this code because they would rather you roam so they can make money off the agreements they have in place. 

For me, I'm still up in the air for whether to get the G2 or not. I'm tired of TouchWiz slowing down Android interface,

I have yet to use LG's UI, so we'll see how the reviews are when they're up.

I've never used an LG ui either but it's quite similar to TouchWiz from the looks of it. Granted it seems to be a little smaller. You only have around 8gb available with TouchWiz, bit your going to have around 10gb with LGui. That alone is enough to sway me. I wouldn't think it would be nearly as taxing on the phone as TouchWiz.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 4

My understanding is that they never give out this code because they would rather you roam so they can make money off the agreements they have in place.

They usually allow it if your going put of country and your account is in good standing for at least 6 months or 6 weeks I can't remember exactly.

For the sprint version of the One for example, there isn't an actual unlock code but they will unlock the device for you over the air through an update that they will push to the device.  The only catch is that the device will have to be activated on your account for a minimum of 90 consecutive days and of course your account will have to be in good standing.  A few weeks ago, someone over on xda figured out how to manually make the same change but you will have to be rooted to do so(not sure if rooted option works on the gs4).

• Like 1

Oh well. 

Yup, the audio thing is pure marketing bs.

Everybody listens to MP3s....which are inferior to CDs, but nobody gave a shit because having small files was more important. Of course, the world has moved to online streaming which is just as bad if not worse...

You want us to carry around FLAC audio tot ake advantage of this stuff.....but you give us 10GB of space? WUT.

So, I think this phone looks great, but I'm not buying into LG's UI, it looks so cluttered. After using Sense 5, and looking at the notification bar on the LG I really do appreciate how much better it is to have the Notification Bar, rather clean (minus the power saver, bleh). Not a big fan of the unlock screen, the icons and everything look dated, they remind me of the GS2, instead of the GS3/4. Plus I've been spoiled by the ONE with it's great sound, camera, and construction. Other than that, I think the power button placement is genius, honestly. I have never minded power button placements, they have to go somewhere, but having it in the back makes them much more easily accessible.

-Luis

Everybody listens to MP3s....which are inferior to CDs, but nobody gave a shit because having small files was more important. Of course, the world has moved to online streaming which is just as bad if not worse...

You want us to carry around FLAC audio tot ake advantage of this stuff.....but you give us 10GB of space? WUT.

The MAIN hope (that I have) is that since this G2 can play 24 bit / 192, it should have a top-end DAC (digital analog converter) in the phone, which would only improve (no matter how slight) the audio output to my earphones compared to other phones.

The MAIN hope (that I have) is that since this G2 can play 24 bit / 192, it should have a top-end DAC (digital analog converter) in the phone, which would only improve (no matter how slight) the audio output to my earphones compared to other phones.

My scientific opinion is that the belief that the DAC on smartphone makes a difference is baloney.  In particular, the Internet forum fascination with Wolfson DACs in portable devices has reached almost mythic proportions.  But so many of those posters seem incapable of ruling out other factors, including amplification quality and, of course, placebo effect.

I have been studying digital audio for 20 years -- almost twice as long as I have been studying wireless.  And as much as I wanted to believe that there are audible differences in competent, modern DACs, no one has been able to show that reliably using scientific testing methods.  I am a longtime Stereophile subscriber, and I greatly enjoy the magazine, especially for its rigorous test and measurement reports.  But some of the subjective prose from Stereophile writers, audiophile press in general, and forum posters is utter bullshit outside of their own readily convinced minds.

By the way, the info that I have is that the LG G2 is using an in house Qualcomm DAC.

AJ

• Like 1

My scientific opinion is that the belief that the DAC on smartphone makes a difference is baloney.  In particular, the Internet forum fascination with Wolfson DACs in portable devices has reached almost mythic proportions.  But so many of those posters seem incapable of ruling out other factors, including amplification quality and, of course, placebo effect.

I have been studying digital audio for 20 years -- almost twice as long as I have been studying wireless.  And as much as I wanted to believe that there are audible differences in competent, modern DACs, no one has been able to show that reliably using scientific testing methods.  I am a longtime Stereophile subscriber, and I greatly enjoy the magazine, especially for its rigorous test and measurement reports.  But some of the subjective prose from Stereophile writers, audiophile press in general, and forum posters is utter bullshit outside of their own readily convinced minds.

By the way, the info that I have is that the LG G2 is using an in house Qualcomm DAC.

AJ

One of the reasons I got the Epic over the Evo when I first switched to sprint was to use VooDoo sound. Supercurio did some cool things with the wolfson dac. Thats what used to keep me interested in the DACs in phones when making my next purchasing decision. After using HTC devices I've noticed that the Wolfson wasn't that much better although I loved being able to tune the EQ better with Voodoo which I really can't with my One.

I was supposed to move on from mp3's to online streaming? Damn! Missed another trend.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

With 32GB internal, I may give this device a chance. Just really wish we got the Korean version with the SD slot.

But a 3000 mAh battery does look promising. We'll see as release gets closer. I'm also someone that mods the hell out of my phone so I'm also going to wait and see LGs stance on the bootloader.

With 32GB internal, I may give this device a chance. Just really wish we got the Korean version with the SD slot.

But a 3000 mAh battery does look promising. We'll see as release gets closer. I'm also someone that mods the hell out of my phone so I'm also going to wait and see LGs stance on the bootloader.

Is it up to the carriers to decide if a phone will have removable/non-removable battery and sd card/no sd card slots?  If so that really blows.  If its not LG's fault people sure are pointing the blame at the wrong party.

Is it up to the carriers to decide if a phone will have removable/non-removable battery and sd card/no sd card slots? If so that really blows. If its not LG's fault people sure are pointing the blame at the wrong party.

Well Carriers often have their own exclusives. (Sprints GS2 had a bigger screen, battery, and LED light while the competition had the basic model.). We'll see if Sprint tries anything but it's completely up to Sprint in that regard. As far as locked bootloaders go, Sprint is pretty easy going with their rooting policies. At least, compared to other carriers.

I'd LOVE it if Sprint went all in and had an SD slot with the 3000 battery. They'd have my money on day 1. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Well Carriers often have their own exclusives. (Sprints GS2 had a bigger screen, battery, and LED light while the competition had the basic model.). We'll see if Sprint tries anything but it's completely up to Sprint in that regard. As far as locked bootloaders go, Sprint is pretty easy going with their rooting policies. At least, compared to other carriers.

I'd LOVE it if Sprint went all in and had an SD slot with the 3000 battery. They'd have my money on day 1. Lol

True on the GS2 but, that was quite a while ago now.  I think the days of devices that vary from carrier to carrier are far and few between, if not, they are already gone--especially with any flagship device.   

• Like 1

True on the GS2 but, that was quite a while ago now. I think the days of devices that vary from carrier to carrier are far and few between now, if not, they are already gone.

Unfortunately, I think you're right. Back then Sprint dubbed the Galaxy S line the "Epic". And from the Evo 3d and Epic Touch, there hasn't been a carrier exclusive over multi carrier devices since. Other than exterior color (purple, brown, red, etc.).

One can hope though. Lol