LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

I don't understand the freak out over the LGOG2 not having SD card slot and removable battery. My LGOG doesn't either.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Maybe that is why i did not get LGOG. Lol. That is why we have choices. Is that wrong? Edited by Thai
  • Like 1

Your sales bomb, you mean?

The LGOG sales were quite good. Probably better than any modern LG product. They got me to buy one. Nothing approaching Apple or Samsung. But enough to get people to start looking.

Your sales bomb, you mean?

When I got to use the LG OG at the Sprint Store right after it was released, I said that it was a very nice phone. I was impressed, more so than the LG Viper that LG wasted their time releasing. They could have done better for their first Sprint LTE phone, and the Optimus G should have been the first.

I don't understand the freak out over the LGOG2 not having SD card slot and removable battery. My LGOG doesn't either.

Ehh I'm a strong proponient of the removable and replacable battery! It just is choice and if something happens to the battert u don't have to buy a whole new phone

The LGOG sales were quite good. Probably better than any modern LG product. They got me to buy one. Nothing approaching Apple or Samsung. But enough to get people to start looking.

Well, to be fair.......don't you buy all the phones? 

Honestly, I had high hopes on todays event. I am sad. :(

• Like 1

Well, to be fair.......don't you buy all the phones? 

Honestly, I had high hopes on todays event. I am sad. :(

He hasn't bought all the phones, just most of them.

• Like 1

So there will probably never be a tri-band phone with SVDO and SVLTE, will there? I really don't want to lose those, nor do I want to lose micro sd.

Hopeless?

Get a freedom pop triband hotspot.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Anandtech seems reasonably impressed. I'm not eligible for an upgrade until January 1, so I'll see what HTC and Samsung counter with, if anything, but LG has set the bar very high.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I haven't had a phone yet that the battery has lasted me for 2 years. While these future devices may be better that is a pretty big leap to take for me.

Awaiting the Nexus 5 on the off chance it A. is actually made and B. shows up on Sprint. Otherwise, looks like I'll be waiting for a "Moto X Phone Pro" or X2 with tri-band. Argh.

htc max, ip5s or note 3

• Like 1

I haven't had a phone yet that the battery has lasted me for 2 years. While these future devices may be better that is a pretty big leap to take for me.

My iPhone 3GS still has over 50% usability on the original battery 4 years after the fact. Fixed batteries seem to do much better than user replaceable batteries in most of the tests I have done.

LG has “no plans” for a Google Play edition G2

As of right now, LG doesn’t have any plans for a Google Play Edition. The focus for the G2 is penetration through carriers. That however could change down the road.” –Ken Hong, LG

Damn.

Ditto

htc max, ip5s or note 3

I don't want a phablet and I won't be switching to the iPhone, which leaves me out of luck for the foreseeable future.

Here's an insightful comment by an AnandTech commentor.

Due to their similarity to the Nexus 4, rooting and unlocking was a breeze.

As for ROMs, it depends on the specific model. The AT&T / Canadian / International Optimus Gs have fully operational 4.2.2 AOSP ROMs, the Sprint Optimus G on 4.2.2 AOSP ROMs has a camera bug where it'll only focus the first time the app is launched and remains out of focus until the camera app is force closed and restarted. Scripts to kill / launch the camera app are a common fix for this problem.

Eco Mode (where two of the four cores are disabled) on Optimus Gs tends to only function on the Stock-based ROMs, whereas AOSP-based ROMs have an issue where the minimum CPU frequency is ignored and require 3rd party tools such as Trickster Mod to reduce and lock the minimum frequency to achieve only moderately less battery life than stock ROMs.

LG Mobile USA, like most smartphone OEMs is quick to forget about updates for phones more than four months old. The Optimus G launched in October 2012 with Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 (finalized in July 2012). The Nexus 4 launched in November 2012 with 4.2.

It was only after the launch of the Optimus G Pro on AT&T that owners of the now 5-month-old Optimus G (based on nearly identical hardware) saw an update to 4.1.2. We're still waiting on an official 4.2.2 for the Sprint LGOG which would hopefully hammer out the focus lock issue and give us a stable, feature complete 3rd party ROM.

TL;DR If you want updates, get a Nexus or Google Edition device. If you want silly features and top-of-the-spec-chart hardware they'll abandon in 5 months (and poor XDA developers won't be able to support/reproduce before the phones stop working) get one of these.

Very disappointed... Like the 5.2 screen but will NEVER buy a 16 or 32 gb phone with no SD card.  I wasn't planning on buying this, so my night is not ruined... I was also disappointed in MANY aspects of the Moto X... Hope this isn't setting a trend.

/REALLY looking forward to the GN3 or 1MAX -- hoping for:  microSD, 5.3 to 6.0 screen, tri-band... is that too much to ask?

I get why some of you may desire or even need removable batteries. And if given the choice, I'd much rather have a removable battery and SD card slot. I enjoy those features on my Note 2. I just don't get the surprise. Given the LGOG was that way, we should have all expected it. I know I did.

With 3,000mah battery, it will meet the needs of 95%+ of users. I liked the fact my Note 2 has a removable battery, but I have never bought a new battery for extra capacity as I thought I would. The only thing I do to remove the battery is a hard reboot. But just long pressing the power button for 10 seconds does the same thing on a non removable battery device.

The G2 is definitely not a miracle device. It's not going to meet the needs for those who must need SD card and removable batteries. Same as the people who cannot use the HTC One, the LGOG and almost all Nexus devices anymore. I've expected Samsung to pull these features too. But so far they've kept them :fingers:

• Like 4

Remember the rumors leading up to the launch showed sd card and removable battery.

In addition, sprint may just import 16gb. That would suck.

Edited by Thai

Remember the rumors leading up to the launch showed sd card and removable battery.

Heh, rumors. That's exactly what they were.

I get why some of you may desire or even need removable batteries. And if given the choice, I'd much rather have a removable battery and SD card slot. I enjoy those features on my Note 2. I just don't get the surprise. Given the LGOG was that way, we should have all expected it. I know I did.

With 3,000mah battery, it will meet the needs of 95%+ of users. I liked the fact my Note 2 has a removable battery, but I have never bought a new battery for extra capacity as I thought I would. The only thing I do to remove the battery is a hard reboot. But just long pressing the power button for 10 seconds does the same thing on a non removable battery device.

The G2 is definitely not a miracle device. It's not going to meet the needs for those who must need SD card and removable batteries. Same as the people who cannot use the HTC One, the LGOG and almost all Nexus devices anymore. I've expected Samsung to pull these features too. But so far they've kept them :fingers:

Been an HTC guy thru most of the smartphone history -- but that has come with the removable card (keep all my music on it)... If Sprint gets SOLID 4G coverage in the boonies, I am fine with the cloud -- but not before.  Samsung's willingness to keep the card will probably make me a Samsung user soon...  I care less about the battery though.

Heh, rumors. That's exactly what they were.

Actually there are two versions of the LG G2. The international version has a non removable 3000mah battery and no SD slot. The Korean market version has a 2610mah battery and an SD slot which was the manual that apparently leaked and lead people to believe it had SD capability.

Actually there are two versions of the LG G2. The international version has a non removable 3000mah battery and no SD slot. The Korean market version has a 2610mah battery and an SD slot which was the manual that apparently leaked and lead people to believe it had SD capability.

Yes, I read that too. Doesn't change my point. Rumors, that's exactly what they were.

Yes, I read that too. Doesn't change my point. Rumors, that's exactly what they were.

Without hope, what is life about?

• Like 1