LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

I think the case has a massive design flaw.  As pointed out by others who have the Korean version, they have stated the flip case covers the back buttons of the device when the case is open.  Still nice catch.  Hoping to see a release date, soon.

• Like 1

Anyone hear a date, yet?  Perhaps Sprint store reps maybe have some intel on when demo models are coming?

I heard Sept 27th for Sprint's release. 

My early upgrade is not until Dec 1st so I am not chomping at the bit as much as some of the others but I really do want this phone.   ;)

Mav.   B)

I heard Sept 27th for Sprint's release. 

My early upgrade is not until Dec 1st so I am not chomping at the bit as much as some of the others but I really do want this phone.   ;)

Mav.   B)

Where did you hear that from?  Sept 27th is too long considering that Verizon and ATT are selling it on Sept 12 and Sept 13.  Sprint should sell it on Sept 13 to be competitive. We know its gone through FCC approval so it shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

I will double-check that rumor.

My thinking is that Sprint will want as much time as possible to get their Tri-Band infrastructure in place as this is almost definitely the first such device being released.

The extra couple of weeks won't make someone drop Sprint and go elsewhere just to get this phone.

At least I hope not. ;)

Just my $.02

Mav. :cool:

Sent from The Untempered Schism

My thinking is that Sprint will want as much time as possible to get their Tri-Band infrastructure in place as this is almost definitely the first such device being released.

The extra couple of weeks won't make someone drop Sprint and go elsewhere just to get this phone.

At least I hope not. ;)

Just my $.02

I guess but I doubt we will see many sites upgraded to LTE 800 anyways by end of September.  Sprint has said at their conference call that LTE 800 deployment would begin in Q4. But lets say a few markets have maybe a few sites up, is it really going to make a difference?

Good point. All we can do is guess. Someone will get it right.

As a wise man once said, "Patience, Daniel-san."

Hope we know soon.

I am sure the people at LG are just laughing their asses of with all of our theorizing and BSing. :)

At least I hope not. ;)

Just my $.02

I easily could and would. The nearly doubling of my bill to go to AT&T would pay for itself in reliability, waiting 2 weeks to stay on service teetering on the edge of fully reliable is hard to quantify.

According to a friend who works in the Marketing Department, the release date is scheduled for November 1st. A page will be opened mid-September for pre-orders. It is LTE Tri-Band capable, despite the Clearwire band being unavailable in most areas, and 800 LTE still being re-farmed from IDEN.

From my understanding, T-Mobile and Sprint are getting the G2 half a month after Verizon and AT&T.

• Like 1

According to a friend who works in the Marketing Department, the release date is scheduled for November 1st. A page will be opened mid-September for pre-orders. It is LTE Tri-Band capable, despite the Clearwire band being unavailable in most areas, and 800 LTE still being re-farmed from IDEN.

From my understanding, T-Mobile and Sprint are getting the G2 half a month after Verizon and AT&T.

Ew, by then there will likely be other options for Triband devices such as the Note 3.  I hope it's not that late, that's longer than a month and a half later than Verizon/AT&T if the "leaked date" is accurate. 

According to a friend who works in the Marketing Department, the release date is scheduled for November 1st. A page will be opened mid-September for pre-orders.

I assume you meant October 1st, not November...

Ew, by then there will likely be other options for Triband devices such as the Note 3.  I hope it's not that late, that's longer than a month and a half later than Verizon/AT&T if the "leaked date" is accurate. 

Even if there were other triband devices, the rumored phones with Snapdragon 800 are the HTC One Max and Galaxy Note 3, which are going to be humongous phones. The G2 is going to be the absolute largest phone I would ever consider, so I would still probably wait for the G2 to be out even if the Note 3 and One Max were out already. I know other people would probably consider those phones, but they are definitely not options to me.

Even if there were other triband devices, the rumored phones with Snapdragon 800 are the HTC One Max and Galaxy Note 3, which are going to be humongous phones. The G2 is going to be the absolute largest phone I would ever consider, so I would still probably wait for the G2 to be out even if the Note 3 and One Max were out already. I know other people would probably consider those phones, but they are definitely not options to me.

Wrong. The S4 has been fitted with the 800 processor and is on sale in Korea with LTE Advanced. It also has tri-band capabilities. Please view the article below.

http://www.zdnet.com/au/samsung-tests-dual-mode-4g-galaxy-s4-and-gs4-mini-on-optus-network-7000018827/

As for the date, I am afraid the guy said it would be November 1st, and judging by Sprints latest upcoming handset list (which did not mention the G2 anywhere...) i am assuming my friend was correct. (I found this screen shot on engadget!)

pasprintscreener.jpg

FYI, I have had my upgrade available for 2 months and am dying to get the G2, so I am gutted if it is November launch. Complete bummer.

Edited by iain9996

Wrong. The S4 has been fitted with the 800 processor and is on sale in Korea with LTE Advanced. It also has tri-band capabilities. Please view the article below.

http://www.zdnet.com/au/samsung-tests-dual-mode-4g-galaxy-s4-and-gs4-mini-on-optus-network-7000018827/

As for the date, I am afraid the guy said it would be November 1st, and judging by Sprints latest upcoming handset list (which did not mention the G2 anywhere...) i am assuming my friend was correct. (I found this screen shot on engadget!)

pasprintscreener.jpg

FYI, I have had my upgrade available for 2 months and am dying to get the G2, so I am gutted if it is November launch. Complete bummer.

I stand corrected. I do remember the S4 getting Snapdragon 800. Hopefully it comes to the US, though I was kind of trying to get away from Samsung and TouchWiz.

As for the G2 being set for a November launch, that Handset Update list doesn't mention the HTC One Max or Galaxy Note 3 either, so it's still technically up in the air which handset comes out first. That list also only has dates until 9/13, so the second half of September and all of October is also up in the air. I'm not saying your friend is wrong.. He could be right for all I know. I'm just saying the second half of September and later is still not set in stone.

• Like 1

I stand corrected. I do remember the S4 getting Snapdragon 800. Hopefully it comes to the US, though I was kind of trying to get away from Samsung and TouchWiz.

As for the G2 being set for a November launch, that Handset Update list doesn't mention the HTC One Max or Galaxy Note 3 either, so it's still technically up in the air which handset comes out first. That list also only has dates until 9/13, so the second half of September and all of October is also up in the air. I'm not saying your friend is wrong.. He could be right for all I know. I'm just saying the second half of September and later is still not set in stone.

I am not surprised its not coming up yet.  The galaxy note 2 was available on sprint on Oct 26th last year and it was announced in late Aug/early Sept at IFA 2012.  I dont expect to see the Galaxy Note 3 until mid to late Oct.  As for the HTC One Max, I don't expect that to be available until Oct as well.  Hopefully HTC is smart enough to try to market that device sooner than the Galaxy Note 3 to start grabbing market share.  

As for the LG G2, I am really hoping it will come out by last week of Sept since Verizon and ATT are already offering on Sept 12 and 13th.  Sprint would be dumb not to capitalize on the market share especially since we know that it has passed the FCC already.  I think at this point the LG G2 is just awaiting enough inventory.  I don't see any excuse to not release the LG G2 by late Sept.

• Like 1

Updated, my friend in marketing says it will be arriving on November 2nd. I am hoping this is not the case, what a colossal wait time!

Bah, I can't see Sprint releasing their version of the phone a month and a half after AT&T and Verizon, especially considering it's already hit the FCC. It doesn't make sense. If they do I feel like it'll be a big mistake.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

I don't see a November release happening, either. The phone is done, it is ready to go and to wait two months over the other carriers would put Sprint way behind. There is no point in pushing a two month old top tier phone. It will be old news by then.

Bah, I can't see Sprint releasing their version of the phone a month and a half after AT&T and Verizon, especially considering it's already hit the FCC. It doesn't make sense. If they do I feel like it'll be a big mistake.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

I don't see a November release happening, either. The phone is done, it is ready to go and to wait two months over the other carriers would put Sprint way behind. There is no point in pushing a two month old top tier phone. It will be old news by then.

I see y'alls point, and am leaning the same way; especially since it did already pass through the FCC.  Just keep in mind, it took VZW forever and a day to get the One, even after it was released by Sprint. Just saying, it can happen.  

The Sprint variant LG Optimus G passed through the FCC OET last August, too, but it was not released until November.  As I have stated previously, that sets something of a precedent.

My suggestion is to temper your expectations so you will not be disappointed.  Then, your expectations may even be exceeded.  

Besides, if the Sprint variant LG G2 is released next month, do you want to jump on it just because it is potentially the first tri band LTE handset to market?  With no tri band LTE competition, you have no basis for comparison.  How would you feel, then, if Samsung and HTC offer tri band LTE handsets in November that blow away the LG?

AJ

Extensive testing of the first sprint triband device, from LG no less? That would be music to my ears , a stark comparison to the incessant whining we would endure if the device was launched with hiccups

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

• Like 2