LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

Just as I feared... DOA as far as I'm concerned...

http://gizmodo.com/lg-g2-hands-on-killer-hardware-dead-on-arrival-softwa-1055611732

Not very objective and seems kinda biased. I would not put too much stock in that article.

How can you come to a conclusion such as the writer has after only a few minutes with a device.

Most credible and objective reviews takes a few days of usage to get a good feel for how the device operates.

The GS4 has all the same faults in Touchwiz 

Personally I like this device(from a hardware perspective anyway) I just don't like the buttons on the back which is totally stupid in my opinion.  I also would have preferred a removable battery and micro sd slot but I don't expect things to stay same as technology advances.  Memory simply can't be that expensive so I don't see why they just don't offer at least a minimum of 32gb of storage if no sd card is supported.  I travel quite frequently and I don't have any issues with my One and battery life, if need be though I do also travel with a portable energizer 8000mah charger which works great.

Kinda odd button placement but i'll reserve my judgement until i've tried it.

In regards to storage I agree. Nand flash memory is so cheap nowadays that 32GB should be the absolute minimum.

Edge User? Where did that term come from? I thought an edge user was a rural T-Mobile customer?

:rofl:

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 7

Just as I feared... DOA as far as I'm concerned...

http://gizmodo.com/lg-g2-hands-on-killer-hardware-dead-on-arrival-softwa-1055611732

Not really surprised by this at all but I will hold on and wait for a few other reviews being that gizmodo is definitely not my go to place when it comes to anything.

• Like 1

Edge User? Where did that term come from? I thought an edge user was a rural T-Mobile customer?

I think it was coined by AJ a few pages back  :lol:

AJ, i know that i am new here and that you did put a smilie at the end, but you really don't know what we do with our phones to come to that honestly stupid conclusion.  You need to refrain a tiny bit.  I think that all of us here on this forum are pretty "edge users" already given how connected we try to be about Sprint's LTE networks.  So, for an edge user to call out another one is pretty dumb IMHO.

My phone is my work phone (use constantly in hospital) and my home phone.  My kids also use it sometimes for games or watch a quick episode of Spongebob or whatever movie i have (on my SD).  I am sure that LG won't mind losing me as a customer, but does that mean that i can't voice my disappointment on a FORUM in a thread that i created about this very phone?

My bad it was actually this post where "Edge user" first got used and not actually by AJ

Well, AJ did say that we are on the edge...so I just went ahead and added my new addition to this forum's vocabulary! Lol

Edited by Thai

Not very objective and seems kinda biased. I would not put too much stock in that article.

How can you come to a conclusion such as the writer has after only a few minutes with a device.

Most credible and objective reviews takes a few days of usage to get a good feel for how the device operates.

The GS4 has all the same faults in Touchwiz 

This is true and a lot of reviewers did mention how cluttered touchwiz can be.  I think LG is trying a litte too hard to be like samsung and coming up short every time rather than trying to do their own thing.  

I use CM10 and Go Launcher anyway.  As long as it has triband and gets CM support, it's a doable option.  The hardware specs are top notch.

I loved AOSP ROM's on my Note 2 Rootbox to be specific but the Android System bug drained battery life so I went back to Touchwiz based Goodness ROM. I think it was present on any ROM that was CM based.

Whether on AOSP or Touchwiz I use Nova launcher.

Nova is my choice launcher on my Note 2, Nexus 7 2013 and my Nexus 10

Edge user seems like a bastardization of Edge Case. I don't mind the term actually.

Not really surprised by this at all but I will hold on and wait for a few other reviews being that gizmodo is definitely not my go to place when it comes to anything.

Agreed that Gizmodo is not the definitive authority, but that whole post does not bode well.

I use CM10 and Go Launcher anyway.  As long as it has triband and gets CM support, it's a doable option.  The hardware specs are top notch.

This is really the only way I'd consider it, but I'd much rather buy the phone with the software I want instead of having to break the warranty and go wild with customizations.

This is true and a lot of reviewers did mention how cluttered touchwiz can be.  I think LG is trying a litte too hard to be like samsung and coming up short every time rather than trying to do their own thing.  

LG and Samsung have no shame in copying each other nor other OEM's.

I loathed Samsung for making the GS2 look so much like an iPhone. 

I was happy when Apple sued them for that.

I give LG credit for making a bold decision to do something so different placing the buttons on the back.

But they lose points for following behind Samsung and Touchwiz.

Awaiting the next FCC document for S4 Advanced w/ Triband. :P

Awaiting the Nexus 5 on the off chance it A. is actually made and B. shows up on Sprint. Otherwise, looks like I'll be waiting for a "Moto X Phone Pro" or X2 with tri-band. Argh.

• Like 1

Awaiting the Nexus 5 on the off chance it A. is actually made and B. shows up on Sprint. Otherwise, looks like I'll be waiting for a "Moto X Phone Pro" or X2 with tri-band. Argh.

I wish I had your patience

I like LG's screens and build quality, buttons better than Samsung's. But the software I have no use for. I think this will make a great Google Play Edition device, which of course won't work on Sprint. But I hope the Nexus is somewhat smaller. Though that probably also will not work on Sprint. Sigh.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

I wish I had your patience

I held onto the Pre for 3 years until something I liked came along. In this case it's even easier since the GSII I've got has Android 4.1.2. So software-wise, there's not a whole lot I'm missing out on, at least until Android 5.0. Even the GS4 and this G2 don't actually do anything that I can't do right now.

It's the network upgrades I actually care about.

I held onto the Pre for 3 years until something I liked came along. In this case it's even easier since the GSII I've got has Android 4.1.2. So software-wise, there's not a whole lot I'm missing out on, at least until Android 5.0. Even the GS4 and this G2 don't actually do anything that I can't do right now.

It's the network upgrades I actually care about.

I take it LTE hasn't been deployed in your market because the GS2 is wimax correct?

Except for the fact that Samsung is by far the number 1 smartphone seller.

You know what Ssamsung offers?

Removable batteries.

SD cards.

Not having that is a deal breaker for many, many people. That indicates to me the market wants these features.

Who wants to lock themselves into a 2 year contract with a phone that will start being absolute garbage in a year when the battery stops being able to hold a charge?

"24 hour battery life!"  means nothing when its half that in 12 months.

Yes I do think Samsung is number 1 because of the removable batteries and SD slots.

Im saying this based on experience I had at verizon, and anecdotal covnersations with friends and family. When I was at Verizon customer care, every day people would ask me "do I get x or y". Id mention the battery and sd card and thats what theyd go for.

Dont bring Apple into this. People buy the iphone in spite of those limitations, not because of.

When it comes to the android eco-system, there are dozens of options. If youre not going to offer what I consider a critical feature, then I will buy the very popular, and very competent phone that does.

What you believe does not represent what is.  Personally I would also prefer removable batteries and sd card support but at the end of the day thats not why people buy gs4's.  Now obviously there are people out there that specifically bought the gs4 because of it but those people represent a very extreme minority of overall gs4 users.  Samsung's success can be directly related to how they market their product and thats a fact and if they continue to do so they will continue to break their own sales records whether or not their devices will have removable batteries and sd card slots.  Even though samsung is the number one mobile device manufacturer the iphone 5 is still killing the gs4 in sales so obviously removable batteries and sd cards are not the issue.  Apple was and still is the king of marketing and thats why they been so dominant, samsung have learned from apple's marketing success and have been extremely creative and aggressive on how they market their devices.  How many advertisements have you seen on tv with samsung talking about how you can replace your battery and add an sd card?  Now is it an advantage? Yes it is but is it worth talking about? No its not.  Your average consumers want to see how this device can make their lives a lot easier by owning it, and you do that through showing cool features and ease of use.

• Like 1

I take it LTE hasn't been deployed in your market because the GS2 is wimax correct?

My markets are NYC and St. Louis. Supposedly LTE is almost ready in both.

In NYC WiMAX is ok (nothing special - in a midtown skyscraper I'm currently getting 4.6Mb/s down and 1.5 up). St. Louis is where I could really stand to benefit from the upgrade - very little usable WiMAX where I tend to be. And to think, I thought I was future-proofing by waiting for a WiMAX phone.

Anyway, so long G2. Glad to see it usher in the tri-band future. Here's to hoping it helps flag any problems on the LTE network as they finish up the buildout.

I like LG's screens and build quality, buttons better than Samsung's. But the software I have no use for. I think this will make a great Google Play Edition device, which of course won't work on Sprint. But I hope the Nexus is somewhat smaller. Though that probably also will not work on Sprint. Sigh.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4

I was actually thinking the same thing, this would make for a pretty bad ass google edition device.  

• Like 1

What you believe does not represent what is.  Personally I would also prefer removable batteries and sd card support but at the end of the day thats not why people buy gs4's.  Now obviously there are people out there that specifically bought the gs4 because of it but those people represent a very extreme minority of overall gs4 users.  Samsung's success can be directly related to how they market their product and thats a fact and if they continue to do so they will continue to break their own sales records whether or not their devices will have removable batteries and sd card slots.  Even though samsung is the number one mobile device manufacturer the iphone 5 is still killing the gs4 in sales so obviously removable batteries and sd cards are not the issue.  Apple was and still is the king of marketing and thats why they been so dominant, samsung have learned from apple's marketing success and have been extremely creative on how they market their devices.  How many advertisements have you seen on tv with samsung talking about how you can replace your battery and add an sd card?  Now is it an advantage? Yes it is but is it worth talking about? No its not.  Your average consumers want to see how this device can make their lives a lot easier by owning it, and you do that through showing cool features and ease of use.

Yeah that's what I said  :rolleyes:  

You drove it home for sure tho.

We are a very minute demographic.

• Like 1

I don't understand the freak out over the LGOG2 not having SD card slot and removable battery. My LGOG doesn't either.

• Like 2