SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Yes, the B41 indicator has some very annoying and relatively random problems; I'm still digging into them. The B26 issue will be fixed in the next update, I already figured out what I broke there :)

-Mike

Glad to hear. Any idea on a time frame?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by BlueAngel

The B26 issue will be fixed in the next update, I already figured out what I broke there :)

screen-shot-2013-10-01-at-4-56-25-pm.png

AJ

• Like 1

As soon as I stop putting in 65-hour weeks at work and my two 10-page midterms are done.. ;)

Honestly, I can't say. I would rather give you the bad news upfront rather than provide false hope. Hopefully things slow down enough for me to get some work done on the app soon.. heck, I have barely had time to check S4GRU over the past couple of months. It is very frustrating to me as the developer and as a user, especially because I have gotten some great suggestions from you guys on top of my own half-finished ideas that I want to tackle. Just totally overwhelmed at the moment -- paying too much for grad school to fall behind any more than I already am..  :blink:

-Mike

• Like 14

As soon as I stop putting in 65-hour weeks at work and my two 10-page midterms are done.. ;)

Honestly, I can't say. I would rather give you the bad news upfront rather than provide false hope. Hopefully things slow down enough for me to get some work done on the app soon.. heck, I have barely had time to check S4GRU over the past couple of months. It is very frustrating to me as the developer and as a user, especially because I have gotten some great suggestions from you guys on top of my own half-finished ideas that I want to tackle. Just totally overwhelmed at the moment -- paying too much for grad school to fall behind any more than I already am..  :blink:

-Mike

Take your time, was just curious. :tu:

• Like 1

FYI: App works perfectly with the G3.

Mav. :ninja:

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band LG G3.

I have a G3 as well and I am having trouble accessing the engineering screen using SCP. The app tells me "Debug/Engineering screens may not be availible on this device" but I can enter ##33284# in my dailer and it enters the engineering screen just fine.

Recording the RSRP and the PCI for LTE or the Ec/Io for 1X and EVDO independantly along with the PN (understand this might be impossible?) with the Lat and Long from the GPS reciever to do simple drive testing would be invaluable. CSV files would be alright, but KML files with color codes for the signal strengths would be even better. Setting a distance interval in feet for each data point would be most excellent, but a polling interval in seconds would work.

I love the app. Keep up the good work, mikejeep

Edited by ajm8127

I have a G3 as well and I am having trouble accessing the engineering screen using SCP. The app tells me "Debug/Engineering screens may not be availible on this device" but I can enter ##33284# in my dailer and it enters the engineering screen just fine.

Recording the RSRP and the PCI for LTE or the Ec/Io for 1X and EVDO independantly along with the PN (understand this might be impossible?) with the Lat and Long from the GPS reciever to do simple drive testing would be invaluable. CSV files would be alright, but KML files with color codes for the signal strengths would be even better. Setting a distance interval in feet for each data point would be most excellent, but a polling interval in seconds would work.

I love the app. Keep up the good work, mikejeep

Thanks!! The latest system update for the Nexus 5 changed some security permissions that affected some of the System Shortcuts, so there are probably similar changes on the G3 that block third-party apps like SignalCheck from launching them.

As far as signal strength logging goes, I do intend on adding a "strongest signal" column with correlated location to the Site Logger. A "Trail Logger" that will continuously save new log entries is still a work in progress. I have tried to get PN information for months, but Android does not report it at all, so it's out of my reach unfortunately.

Once I get everything working well, I can look into adding KML support. One of my goals is to add integrated mapping into the app and provide more useful features for those of you that do crazy things with the data outside of the app. All of the logging features generate entries based on distance; if you do not move or connect to a different site for an hour, there is no reason to waste CPU, battery, and storage space to keep making log entries. The time/distance between entries will vary depending on the device, the system location settings, and the SignalCheck location preferences.

-Mike

I needed a break from schoolwork, so I spent all day finally finishing the next SignalCheck update! Once my beta crew confirms it's all good, it will go out to everyone. Just hold on a few more days.. those of you who are impatient can peek at the changelog on the website. Nothing earth-shattering, but some much-needed updates..

-Mike

• Like 13

Mike,

Sent you a report from my LG G3. I noticed I get no SID, NID, BID, BSL when I force the phone into CDMA mode. Come to think of it this may be related to another problem I have where I get a 0 byte CDMA log file. I don't even get column headers. I can see the LTE GCI/PCI fine and those logs appear normal. 

I reliaze this may be a limitiation of my device, and I have tried turning location services on. Let me know how the report looks when you get time.

Thanks,

Tony

Sent you a report from my LG G3. I noticed I get no SID, NID, BID, BSL when I force the phone into CDMA mode. Come to think of it this may be related to another problem I have where I get a 0 byte CDMA log file. I don't even get column headers. I can see the LTE GCI/PCI fine and those logs appear normal.

I checked out your report.. there are no errors, and everything appears to be fine except for the missing information you mentioned. Check your system Location settings for your device (not the app).. make sure you have "Mobile Networks" enabled at a minimum.

Mike, any reason scp won't let me add a note for band 41 sites?

Are you seeing a valid PLMN and GCI on the screen? Does it give you a message saying you can't add a note, or does it let you add one but it doesn't appear?

-Mike

• Like 1

I checked out your report.. there are no errors, and everything appears to be fine except for the missing information you mentioned. Check your system Location settings for your device (not the app).. make sure you have "Mobile Networks" enabled at a minimum.

Are you seeing a valid PLMN and GCI on the screen? Does it give you a message saying you can't add a note, or does it let you add one but it doesn't appear?

-Mike

It lets me add just won't appear. It works fine with band 25 sites. GCI and PLMN are valid also.

sent from my HTC One Max

It lets me add just won't appear. It works fine with band 25 sites. GCI and PLMN are valid also.

Hmm.. sounds like it's saving your note with one PLMN but displaying another, so you don't see it. Check your Site Log and see if you notice anything odd -- even if you have never used it, that's where the notes get stored.

-Mike

• Like 1

I checked out your report.. there are no errors, and everything appears to be fine except for the missing information you mentioned. Check your system Location settings for your device (not the app).. make sure you have "Mobile Networks" enabled at a minimum

Interesting. I had the location setting set to use GPS only. When I changed it to use GPS and the network, everything works as it should.

Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

It shows that I added it in the logs, for 2 different PCI's even.

sent from my HTC One Max

That is the same thing I get on my G2. It is a issue with the way B41 reports he told me a while back and will try to work on it when he has time.

Mike, any reason scp won't let me add a note for band 41 sites?

It shows that I added it in the logs, for 2 different PCI's even.

That is the same thing I get on my G2. It is a issue with the way B41 reports he told me a while back and will try to work on it when he has time.

Yes, that would be the B41 gremlins.. there is something going on where SignalCheck does not always show the proper B41 PLMN on the screen. The reports of site notes (sometimes) appearing in the log properly make me think that the app might be seeing the proper PLMN at some point, but it's not always displayed. This is the main issue I have been working to resolve, but haven't gotten anywhere yet. SpenceSouth (the LTE Discovery guru) has been kind enough to give me some ideas that I am trying out. I didn't have anything resolved for the update that is in testing now, but hopefully I make some progress soon. It's driving me nuts, but part of the problem is that I don't have any B41 live in my area yet (come on, Sprint!) so it's hard to effectively test. I have seen the problem first-hand when I travel, so I know all of you aren't crazy.. at least not for this reason.. ;)

-Mike

• Like 1

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2014-08-05-04-59-33.png

Signalcheck pro reports that I'm connecting to a BSL that is a residential address. How is it getting this address information ? Is this one of these personal microcell boxes ?

Most likely They have the location offset. Most do now, ours changed to not being dead on accurate Address , but to being offsets

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2014-08-05-04-59-33.png

Signalcheck pro reports that I'm connecting to a BSL that is a residential address. How is it getting this address information ? Is this one of these personal microcell boxes ?

Topic Merged

Mine does that on an Airave. Shows BSL of an address that I can only assume is the triangulation of the signal area from the airave...

No, it is not either of those things.. in some markets, Sprint uses offset coordinates that are some distance away from the actual site, in the direction of the sector it covers. See the FAQ for more details: http://www.bluelinepc.com/signalcheck/help/#bslwrong

-Mike