SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Question please:  I have a data base of cell phone tower info imported into SCP.  My perception is the database I refer to is LTE tower info only.

Where does the BSL info in SCP screen come from?  (bottom field below notes - see screenshot)

I ask because in 1x800 situations, the info showing in the BSL space below the notes may or may not match my expectations based on the 1X Bid in the database on S4GRU for my area..

The CDMA 1X protocol allows for base stations to broadcast a latitude/longitude coordinate pair as its location. This is unique to 1X; there is nothing comparable with other technologies (EV-DO, LTE, WCDMA, etc). SignalCheck takes these coordinates, determines if they are a valid lat/long pair, and if so, they are geocoded into a street address. You can click on the address in SCP to bring up a map plotting the location. If you do not see an address, the site is not broadcasting a valid coordinate pair; most Verizon Wireless sites do not broadcast a location.

As I stated, these coordinates are being broadcast by the sites. When you see strange information, it could be that the site is programmed incorrectly, but more commonly the coordinates are intentionally offset. With Sprint, a growing number of cells broadcast offset coordinates in the direction of the sector it covers. On a typical 3-sector site, if you plot each coordinate pair, you will form a triangle, with the actual site located near the center. See the FAQ for a note about this: http://www.bluelinepc.com/signalcheck/help/#bslwrong

The site broadcasts GPS coordinates. SCP uses Google to convert those coordinates to an address. Some of those addresses do not convert properly and you'll see addresses like that. There are even some that will not give you any street at all and just give you the city or township.

I think you might be misled; check my message above for an explanation. If you are only seeing the city name, it's probably because the coordinates plot to a location that is not near any streets (i.e. in the middle of a forest). The geocoding server uses Google Maps, which are about as accurate as you can get.

-Mike

• Like 2

Has anybody with the s6 noticed how long it takes for the signal to update? Seems like it can be every thirty seconds and a lot can change in that time. It updates more rapidly in the engineering screen but what would cause something like signal check or LTE discovery to take so long between updates?

Some others with newer devices are reporting that the apps never update automatically, and you need to back out of the app and go back in to get refreshed data. This is puzzling to me and must be an Android and/or Samsung bug, because SignalCheck just monitors the radio for changes and updates the screen whenever a change is reported. If that process is not happening, it's beyond my control. Certainly frustrating but I'm kind of stuck.

Still showing 1x and lte connection on lg g4 simultaneously still. Anything i can do to help with this let me know

I get the same thing on HTC One m9.  I do not perceive it as a single device issue, but something in the OS feeding SPC and LTE Discovery as well.

This is becoming more and more prevalent, and like the bug mentioned above, my best guess is that it is something related to the OS. The core functionality of SignalCheck (and other similar apps) relies on a basic Android component called a "Listener"; the app "listens" for changes, and when a change is reported, it does something. SignalCheck simply refreshes its data when a change in signal strength occurs, and displays it on the screen. If the OS never announces the signal strength has changed, SignalCheck never does anything. As far as invalid 1X and LTE data, the app just shows what the radio is reporting.. but I have no idea why it would be reporting anything. Unless everything we have believed about these devices and the way the network functions is incorrect..

Ok after riding around i found that the issue is happening mostly because of new b41 sites that's not letting me connect(like the e/CSFB issue). I rode around in LTE only mode and the double connections issue never happened. I was also able to connect to the offending b41 sites.

In true LTE-Only mode, you'll never see any CDMA 1X information because that radio is off.. but it could be an indicator of eCSFB issues like you mention. You can't get a "double connection" on any devices in that mode, even older ones like the EVO LTE that are capable of connecting to 1X and LTE at the same time.

-Mike

• Like 2

i just updated my flex 2 to 5.1.1. in the 10 minutes that its been updated so far it hasn't shown both 1x and LTE connections at the same time. I'll keep an eye on it and report back if that has fixed it or not.

• Like 1

I looked around a little but couldnt find this...

So when i got to reset connection.....it hangs pretty bad, sometimes I have to go to airplane mode and kick it back out.....and even that wont release it, until I reboot, and then it asks if i want to re-enable radios....

LG G3, and yes its rooted

I think you might be misled; check my message above for an explanation. If you are only seeing the city name, it's probably because the coordinates plot to a location that is not near any streets (i.e. in the middle of a forest). The geocoding server uses Google Maps, which are about as accurate as you can get.

I guess my explanation wasn't clear enough or missunderstood, but what I meant to say is exactly what you said.

Nevertheless, I have found some interesting results the past few days. I normally use my new Nexus 6 on VZW, which has given strange results with the both CDMA/LTE data showing. I also have TMO service and when I use that SIM in my Nexus 6 never do I see any duplicate (GSM/LTE), whether it's stock Android 5.1.1 or CM12.1. I also found out when on VZW and both CDMA/LTE info shows, while it seems to show proper CDMA data and LTE signals, LTE data (GCI/PCI/TAC) is stale and while it says LTE is connected the phone doesn't seem to be actually connected to LTE as data speeds are 2G. This is very apparent when on an extended network when CDMA connects to a roaming partner (VZW uses USC here in areas of Indiana), but also offer their own VZW LTE-only sites.

Some others with newer devices are reporting that the apps never update automatically, and you need to back out of the app and go back in to get refreshed data. This is puzzling to me and must be an Android and/or Samsung bug, because SignalCheck just monitors the radio for changes and updates the screen whenever a change is reported. If that process is not happening, it's beyond my control. Certainly frustrating but I'm kind of stuck.

This is becoming more and more prevalent, and like the bug mentioned above, my best guess is that it is something related to the OS. The core functionality of SignalCheck (and other similar apps) relies on a basic Android component called a "Listener"; the app "listens" for changes, and when a change is reported, it does something. SignalCheck simply refreshes its data when a change in signal strength occurs, and displays it on the screen. If the OS never announces the signal strength has changed, SignalCheck never does anything. As far as invalid 1X and LTE data, the app just shows what the radio is reporting.. but I have no idea why it would be reporting anything. Unless everything we have believed about these devices and the way the network functions is incorrect..

In true LTE-Only mode, you'll never see any CDMA 1X information because that radio is off.. but it could be an indicator of eCSFB issues like you mention. You can't get a "double connection" on any devices in that mode, even older ones like the EVO LTE that are capable of connecting to 1X and LTE at the same time.

-Mike

hey Mike the app works flawless on my note 4 :) extremely accurate with the information it's actually helping me learn about wireless. Much appreciated my friend keep it up :)
  • Like 1

Mike,

The second carrier notification seems to be working great for Clear B41. Saw a lot of that in Kansas City over the weekend. However, it doesn't seem to be identifying the second carrier on Nokia B41. I wasn't able to send a diagnostic as I didn't even notice until I was looking at the screenshot later on. The Nokia second carrier can be identified by the 39, 3A, 3B on the GCI.

2015-06-16%2005.11.11_b.png

• Like 1

Hey Mike,

Not sure if this is a known issue or not...but I picked up a Galaxy S6 Active for AT&T and discovered that SCP displays a 1x value in the drop down.

785ed56de7776cb97c7972bf0ddf7091.jpg

When I go into the app, it is fine.

a1cf0b73b8fe3378f230f8d6b408957f.jpg

I've unchecked everything CDMA related, but it still appears to have the issue.

Hey Mike,

Not sure if this is a known issue or not...but I picked up a Galaxy S6 Active for AT&T and discovered that SCP displays a 1x value in the drop down.

785ed56de7776cb97c7972bf0ddf7091.jpg

When I go into the app, it is fine.

a1cf0b73b8fe3378f230f8d6b408957f.jpg

I've unchecked everything CDMA related, but it still appears to have the issue.

Did you go into Diagnostic Mode and see where that -4 value was loading in? That might give you some clue what's going on.

Send that Diagnostic Report to mikejeep. He will see where it is reporting from and may be able to take care of that issue in a future release.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 1

Did you go into Diagnostic Mode and see where that -4 value was loading in? That might give you some clue what's going on.

Send that Diagnostic Report to mikejeep. He will see where it is reporting from and may be able to take care of that issue in a future release.

I bet I'll need my msl number. How do I access diag screen on att devices?

Sent from my M8

I bet I'll need my msl number. How do I access diag screen on att devices?

Sent from my M8

In Signal Check Pro, click on the Settings button.  Select Diagnostic Mode.  Voila!  No MSL number needed.  It's the Diagnostic Mode of the App, not Android.

• Like 2

In Signal Check Pro, click on the Settings button.  Select Diagnostic Mode.  Voila!  No MSL number needed.  It's the Diagnostic Mode of the App, not Android.

Thanks, sent it to Mike.  Hopefully he can see what's going on.  I couldn't find a way to view the diagnostics myself, but I did manage to find a way to send it to Mike.

• Like 1

I have the same issue and the 1X value matches up the Tx power
  • Like 1

When showing neighbor cells, is it possible to check the PCI against Sprint and Clear PLMNs and pick the closest one? Or maybe make that an option?

Sent from my Nexus 6

It would also be great to show the band of the pci being displayed in neighbor list. Also, others should note I have seen pcis in the neighbor list from almost 50 miles away.

When showing neighbor cells, is it possible to check the PCI against Sprint and Clear PLMNs and pick the closest one? Or maybe make that an option?

Sent from my Nexus 6

I believe what you want is already there at the bottom of display settings.

It would also be great to show the band of the pci being displayed in neighbor list. Also, others should note I have seen pcis in the neighbor list from almost 50 miles away.

That would be great but only pci and signal strength are known.
  • Like 1

You are correct from the signal standpoint, but from the lookup standpoint in spreadsheet markets we known exactly where and the related bands, ie b25/b26, b25, b26, b41 Sprint, b41 Clear just based on the pci. Perhaps the best place to add the band label is in the description.

Details in premier: http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6731-Nationwide-signal-check-database

Neighbor cells are already displaying the maximum information that Android provides.

Oooo you're right! I somehow missed that. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6

Neighbor cells are already displaying the maximum information that Android provides.

True, but not the maximum info we can provide from our tracking spreadsheet info. [emoji1]

True, but not the maximum info we can provide from our tracking spreadsheet info. [emoji1]

With the deployment of B41 in my area, I'm finding that PCIs are being repeated on nearly neighboring sites. Neighboring cells are getting really confused on which PCI is which, even with the location service running. I'm not sure what you are looking for is possible. 

With the deployment of B41 in my area, I'm finding that PCIs are being repeated on nearly neighboring sites. Neighboring cells are getting really confused on which PCI is which, even with the location service running. I'm not sure what you are looking for is possible.

During the last year, Sprint renumbered conflicting PCI in our market. This option does seem to vary in viability on a market by market basis.