SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

This hiccup is really starting to annoy me! I have no idea why LTE Discovery is showing the information, and SignalCheck is not.. the routines to gather this information are part of the base Android framework on Android 4.2+, and I don't use any crazy tricks to display them unless you're using an older HTC. I do see you're showing that bogus "<!>" indicator that I mentioned in my last post; that's a remnant of beta testing that I need to get out ASAP, and could be the reason you are not able to edit the site note. But the missing GCI/PCI/TAC information is a separate issue that I am completely lost on. I'm going to reach out to Spence and Danial and see if they have something up their sleeve that they might be able to share.

-Mike

same thing on my verizon galaxy S4, LTE discovery shows GCI/PCI/neighbor cells but SCP doesn't :( i tried the trick he mentioned and it didn't change anything for me.

My intention is to show an indicator and not log a site when the app is reporting it might be invalid (like what many of us see for a moment when switching between some Clearwire and Sprint sites), however the code in place doesn't properly recognize these moments -- and the indicator tends to get 'stuck'. I thought I removed all traces of it, but obviously I didn't. I'll get an update out soon that resolves that, and I will keep trying to hunt down a way to ignore those bogus readings.

Personally don't mind the quirks. They just come off as funny little surprises. Of course this is assuming they aren't breaking anything.

What error do you see? Are you sure the device is rooted? The reset feature requires root, but other than that it is not device-specific. It simply toggles airplane mode on and off.. nothing fancy :)

-Mike

No error.. 1000% positive I am rooted. I get the pop up that says reseting. And I get the supersu notification But absolutely nothing else happens

Previously I could see the status bar cycle through airplane mode.

Edited by jshock

This hiccup is really starting to annoy me! I have no idea why LTE Discovery is showing the information, and SignalCheck is not.. the routines to gather this information are part of the base Android framework on Android 4.2+, and I don't use any crazy tricks to display them unless you're using an older HTC. I do see you're showing that bogus "<!>" indicator that I mentioned in my last post; that's a remnant of beta testing that I need to get out ASAP, and could be the reason you are not able to edit the site note. But the missing GCI/PCI/TAC information is a separate issue that I am completely lost on. I'm going to reach out to Spence and Danial and see if they have something up their sleeve that they might be able to share.

-Mike

I always assumed the phone didn't show the information because it's Verizon. I don't know why toggling the network mode to LTE/GSM/UMTS and back to Global made the band/gci/pci/tac show in the main app screen when it normally does not. It stays like that until the phone is restarted. Is there anything I can log from the phone that might help you figure it out?

• Like 1

Question please:  I have a data base of cell phone tower info imported into SCP.  My perception is the database I refer to is LTE tower info only.

Where does the BSL info in SCP screen come from?  (bottom field below notes - see screenshot)

http://i.imgur.com/8GtRCZe.png

http://jeff68005.imgur.com/all/

Top Image info in the BSL field is so correctly close, that I could walk up to the farm house.

Bottom image BSL information is a few towns to the north of the tower (not same county) with known towers between the perceived location and the town named.

A >>  The tower? 

B >>  Something SCP pulls up or from?

C >>  This trusted data base?

D >> Some other source

I ask because in 1x800 situations, the info showing in the BSL space below the notes may or may not match my expectations based on the 1X Bid in the database on S4GRU for my area..

Question please: I have a data base of cell phone tower info imported into SCP. My perception is the database I refer to is LTE tower info only.

Where does the BSL info in SCP screen come from? (bottom field below notes - see screenshot)

http://i.imgur.com/8GtRCZe.png

http://jeff68005.imgur.com/all/

Top Image info in the BSL field is so correctly close, that I could walk up to the farm house.

Bottom image BSL information is a few towns to the north of the tower (not same county) with known towers between the perceived location and the town named.

A >> The tower?

B >> Something SCP pulls up or from?

C >> This trusted data base?

D >> Some other source

I ask because in 1x800 situations, the info showing in the BSL space below the notes may or may not match my expectations based on the 1X Bid in the database on S4GRU for my area..

The site broadcasts GPS coordinates. SCP uses Google to convert those coordinates to an address. Some of those addresses do not convert properly and you'll see addresses like that. There are even some that will not give you any street at all and just give you the city or township.
  • Like 1

Thanks for your comments.  Your reference to township makes the comments I heard with locals in one area yesterday make more sense.  I was reading the BSL info as the town.  Locals in the next township were clearly saying the other tower discussed was in the same name township.  A tower closer to the locals that I was talking to would have to be in the rural township and not the town given distance and terrain issues.

I'm wondering if I'm having the same issue as some of you with no GCI/TAC showing in SCP but do show in LTE Discovery.

post-45397-143338391312_thumb.jpgpost-45397-143338392139_thumb.jpg

This is on a Nexus 6 currently running CM12.1 (5.1.1). When running the stock ROM it would show all LTE data including PCI & Neighbor data which was nice but wouldn't go any CDMA/1X when connected to LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 1

I'm wondering if I'm having the same issue as some of you with no GCI/TAC showing in SCP but do show in LTE Discovery.

attachicon.gif Screenshot_2015-06-03-21-35-41.jpgattachicon.gif Screenshot_2015-06-03-21-36-22.jpg

This is on a Nexus 6 currently running CM12.1 (5.1.1). When running the stock ROM it would show all LTE data including PCI & Neighbor data which was nice but wouldn't go any CDMA/1X when connected to LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Its a bug if its showing LTE and 1x at the same time on the nexus 6, its not a SVLTE device.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Its a bug if its showing LTE and 1x at the same time on the nexus 6, its not a SVLTE device.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Is it a bug of Android (CM 12 in my case ATM) or SCP? The data LTE Discovery is showing for both 1X and LTE checks out with past data collected from my Galaxy S5 other than PCI which it didn't display.

Is it a bug of Android (CM 12 in my case ATM) or SCP? The data LTE Discovery is showing for both 1X and LTE checks out with past data collected from my Galaxy S5 other than PCI which it didn't display.

It is correct to show only LTE or CDMA on the nexus 6, but not both at the same time. My guess would be a bug in CM, but it could also be something with signalcheck and its interpretation of data from Android. I've seen others post about that issue before, I just don't recall what page it was on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It is correct to show only LTE or CDMA on the nexus 6, but not both at the same time. My guess would be a bug in CM, but it could also be something with signalcheck and its interpretation of data from Android. I've seen others post about that issue before, I just don't recall what page it was on.

I occasionally see both LTE and CDMA on my stock Nexus 6 so I would say it's an Android quirk in general, not just CM.

• Like 1

I occasionally see both LTE and CDMA on my stock Nexus 6 so I would say it's an Android quirk in general, not just CM.

It's not really a bug. Sometimes Android doesn't process the swap to/from one to the other as fast as SignalCheck does. So it shows both for a bit until it goes to do the next refresh.
  • Like 2

I seen some info about the Nexus 6 on Mike's update post that might be about this very issue.

It's not really a bug. Sometimes Android doesn't process the swap to/from one to the other as fast as SignalCheck does. So it shows both for a bit until it goes to do the next refresh.

I do understand the phone can't (or not suppose to) connect to both LTE and CDMA/GSM at the same time. I get that. What I don't get is why SCP shows both being connected with proper CDMA data and just signal info on LTE that refreshes normally like it did on my GS5, and LTE Discovery show proper CDMA and LTE data simultaniously.

On the stock Nexus 6 ROM it would only show one at a time when I have "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode" turned on. When it's off, it would show both, but no QCI/PCI/TAC on LTE. On CM 12.1, which I'm running ATM, that setting doesn't change anything in SCP.

• Like 1

I seen some info about the Nexus 6 on Mike's update post that might be about this very issue.

I do understand the phone can't (or not suppose to) connect to both LTE and CDMA/GSM at the same time. I get that. What I don't get is why SCP shows both being connected with proper CDMA data and just signal info on LTE that refreshes normally like it did on my GS5, and LTE Discovery show proper CDMA and LTE data simultaniously.

On the stock Nexus 6 ROM it would only show one at a time when I have "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode" turned on. When it's off, it would show both, but no QCI/PCI/TAC on LTE. On CM 12.1, which I'm running ATM, that setting doesn't change anything in SCP.

Some times when handing off from 3g/1x to LTE, or vice versa, signalcheck can pull the information it needs while Android is still trying to process. This results in a hang up inside the app until it refreshes and pulls the information again.
  • Like 1

Has anybody with the s6 noticed how long it takes for the signal to update? Seems like it can be every thirty seconds and a lot can change in that time. It updates more rapidly in the engineering screen but what would cause something like signal check or LTE discovery to take so long between updates?

Still showing 1x and lte connection on lg g4 simultaneously still. Anything i can do to help with this let me know

Been seeing this a lot lately in our market(NOLA) but only near towers going thru the b41 conversion.

Still showing 1x and lte connection on lg g4 simultaneously still. Anything i can do to help with this let me know

Been seeing this a lot lately in our market(NOLA) but only near towers going thru the b41 conversion.

its an android bug, just look at your engineering screens when SCP is showing both connections. you will have info in the 1x screen and either missing or stale info in the LTE screen. SCP is doing what its supposed to, displaying what the engineering screens show. nothing to fix in SCP when android is giving it bad data.

• Like 1

I'm starting to hear about issues on some devices never updating the screen. It must be an Android bug, because SignalCheck just listens for changes in signal strength using a standard Android method. Do you (or anyone else) know if it happens with other similar apps, like LTE Discovery or Signal Detector?

My intention is to show an indicator and not log a site when the app is reporting it might be invalid (like what many of us see for a moment when switching between some Clearwire and Sprint sites), however the code in place doesn't properly recognize these moments -- and the indicator tends to get 'stuck'. I thought I removed all traces of it, but obviously I didn't. I'll get an update out soon that resolves that, and I will keep trying to hunt down a way to ignore those bogus readings.

Hmm, that sounds like a bug. The export feature should dump the entire contents of the database, regardless of the provider you are/were connected to at the time. Can you e-mail support [at] bluelinepc.com with a copy of your database and your exported CSV so I can take a look?

Just to confirm.. is the issue you are seeing simultaneous 1X and LTE connections on the G4 and Flex 2? Does it happen when you are on LTE, and does the 1X information remain static when it happens? We all know no newer devices have dual radios, so I'm guessing that the 1X display is most likely 'stale' data. Does LTE Discovery or Signal Detector show wacky information too?

What error do you see? Are you sure the device is rooted? The reset feature requires root, but other than that it is not device-specific. It simply toggles airplane mode on and off.. nothing fancy :)

-Mike

I get the same thing on HTC One m9.  I do not perceive it as a single device issue, but something in the OS feeding SPC and LTE Discovery as well.

t4Vd9hv.png

Ok after riding around i found that the issue is happening mostly because of new b41 sites that's not letting me connect(like the e/CSFB issue). I rode around in LTE only mode and the double connections issue never happened. I was also able to connect to the offending b41 sites.

• Like 1