SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Congratulations on being one of the Android Central apps of the week.

http://www.androidcentral.com/ac-editors-apps-week-weber-grills-signal-check-mayday-2-and-more#slide5

That is freakin' awesome, I hope Mike stops by soon and sees this!  Congrats Mike! 

• Like 3

i'm starting to wonder if the 1x and LTE connections showing at the same time has something to do with the network? I don't know how thats possible but its just weird the way it acts on my phone.

so for example, the 5.1.1 update did not fix the issue for me, but it did help in the sense that prior to 5.1.1 it was random on when both connections would show and nothing i did would consistently make it show just LTE, aka airplane mode wouldn't always work to get things displaying correctly. after the 5.1.1 update the issue still happened but now i could consistently fix it with airplane mode so it would only show LTE again. after getting it to a state where it would show just LTE it would stay that way until my phone lost LTE and reconnected to it or i entered a weak LTE area.

today however my phone is showing both 1x and LTE and i can't seem to get it to stop. doing airplane mode gets it back to just the LTE connection for about 15 seconds and then the "no calls" icon shows and if refreshes and i'm back to both 1x and LTE displaying. i've repeated this several times throughout the morning and its been the same every time.

since i haven't changed anything on my phone and no updates or anything i'm wondering if something is happening on the network side could be causing this behavior?

It appears my HTC One m9 may be having a buffereing/cashe issue that may be feeding some cross information in SCP.

This screenshot reflects the GCI of one tower and the PCI of a nearby tower.

Since you are a Premiere member, see http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5375-nebraskaiowa-premier-thread/?p=269494

That is the source of the GCI and PCI data that feeds this feedback.

oj8yFzD.png

i'm starting to wonder if the 1x and LTE connections showing at the same time has something to do with the network? I don't know how thats possible but its just weird the way it acts on my phone.

so for example, the 5.1.1 update did not fix the issue for me, but it did help in the sense that prior to 5.1.1 it was random on when both connections would show and nothing i did would consistently make it show just LTE, aka airplane mode wouldn't always work to get things displaying correctly. after the 5.1.1 update the issue still happened but now i could consistently fix it with airplane mode so it would only show LTE again. after getting it to a state where it would show just LTE it would stay that way until my phone lost LTE and reconnected to it or i entered a weak LTE area.

today however my phone is showing both 1x and LTE and i can't seem to get it to stop. doing airplane mode gets it back to just the LTE connection for about 15 seconds and then the "no calls" icon shows and if refreshes and i'm back to both 1x and LTE displaying. i've repeated this several times throughout the morning and its been the same every time.

since i haven't changed anything on my phone and no updates or anything i'm wondering if something is happening on the network side could be causing this behavior?

It's not a single phone. device issue.  My HTC One m9 has the same or similar issue except it latched on to the 1X800 or lesser quality signal as primary in SCP, but also shows some LTE.   I am on Lolliop 5.0.2  PRL 55025.

Both screenshots below are in areas near towers with SPARK / Bands 25, 26, and 41 service fully functional.

In fact, the very towers identified ARE SPARK / Bands 25, 26, and 41 service fully functional

===========

I tried one day to do the airplane on / pause / airplane off system bmoses and others and suggested.  My m9 became a worse power hog after a day of doing so.  After doing so, the m9 would run hot due to the CPU or memory increased activity.  This was true even a few days after doing it when not doing it for a day or two.  I ended up doing a soft reset to get the battery drain issue resolved.  I am not so sure that I will be doing the airplane switch much due to the battery useage and the device running hot aftermath that lasted for days.

n8ra55W.png

gXDRVjL.jpg

mikejeep

A question please.  In the above screenshots, how much trouble would it be to add GCI to the LTE info when the LTE info is in the second position as in the above two screenshots ??

mikejeep

A question please.  In the above screenshots, how much trouble would it be to add GCI to the LTE info when the LTE info is in the second position as in the above two screenshots ??

impossible..... thats the bug, the information being sent to signal check is all whacked and not correct, otherwise if it was you would only be seeing the LTE connection and the correct info for your LTE connection

• Like 1

also a little more info on the issue.....

i was watching my LTE engineering screen today and every time my phone goes idle the band will switch and say its on band 51.... then when data resumes it switches back to the band its actually connected to. it seems like this "switching to band 51" is what causes my phone to start displaying both 1x and LTE. 

i took a video of it and uploaded it to youtube

sorry for the lower quality, you can see that after i do airplane mode i'm conencted to B26 and only LTE is listed in the notification bar up top for SCP. then after a few seconds the connection goes idle and it switches to band 51 and the 1x and LTE icons both show up for SCP in the notification bar.

• Like 6

Hi Mike!

I had made mention of this in the Google Fi thread, but figured I'd bring it over here to the SCP thread. Anyways, I'm having an issue with SCP and think you may have an idea of what's going on. So here goes.

On Google Fi, as you may or may not know, it will auto switch networks between Sprint/T-Mobile. I've noticed that if I open SCP while on one network, the RSRP/Site Note, etc will change fluidly. However, when it switches to another network, SCP will freeze on the first "update" of the new network and keep those values. It will only update values if you exit SCP and go back in. In order to get it to go back to the fluid updates as you travel, you must reboot the phone. This is on the Nexus 6. 

Any ideas or other questions? 

Thanks!

i was watching my LTE engineering screen today and every time my phone goes idle the band will switch and say its on band 51.... then when data resumes it switches back to the band its actually connected to. it seems like this "switching to band 51" is what causes my phone to start displaying both 1x and LTE. 

Don't you know? Your phone has a good sense of humor. When it's idle, it makes fun of T-Mobile's CH51 catastrophe.

:P

• Like 1

Congratulations on being one of the Android Central apps of the week.

http://www.androidcentral.com/ac-editors-apps-week-weber-grills-signal-check-mayday-2-and-more#slide5

Ka-ching!  Ka-ching!

;)

AJ

• Like 3

Could it be changed to use the best location for the site instead of best location per sector. That way i don't have to do each sector when making a SCP database.

I had looked into that previously and learned that it would require a lot of work because of how the app interacts with the log. It's still on the table but will take some time.

-Mike

dkyeager had an idea of adding 2 new columns site_latitude and site_longitude. The columns could also be used in some kind of map feature. Site info one color pin and best signal a different color pin. The two new columns could be shared like notes are between sectors. It may be easier than finding a way to find the best signal per site.

You could have a set site location feature where a user can go to a site and set it for use later on when they are home. To build a map of towers.

• Like 2

Posted in the Fi thread:

Hah...I'm browsing the G+ Private forum for Fi users, and they LOVE using SCP Lite....Just thought i'd throw that out there..LOL

• Like 1

Posted in the Fi thread:

Hah...I'm browsing the G+ Private forum for Fi users, and they LOVE using SCP Lite....Just thought i'd throw that out there..LOL

Maybe add the two site fields with using them for neighbor distance when present as a pro feature only to hopefully increase pro sales.

also a little more info on the issue.....

i took a video of it and uploaded it to 

sorry for the lower quality, you can see that after i do airplane mode i'm conencted to B26 and only LTE is listed in the notification bar up top for SCP. then after a few seconds the connection goes idle and it switches to band 51 and the 1x and LTE icons both show up for SCP in the notification bar.

seriously this issue is so weird..... as my post above says, i was able to use airplane mode to consistently reset my connection when the 1x/LTE issue happened to take care of it, up until i posted the above post when every time my device went idle it started showing the 1x/LTE connections.

it kept doing this since the above post all the way through late yesterday afternoon, then all of the sudden its back to "normal". i still get the 1x/LTE when it loses LTE and reconnects back in low signal areas, but now its back to airplane mode "fixing" it and it stays on just LTE, no more idling to "band 51".

could this really be something on the network side? I would guess if its on the device side it should consistently work one way or the other, not change all overt he place like this?

one good thing though is i checked my signal check logs after it had been doing the "Band 51" idle thing for awhile and confirmed that it is not being logged at all, as far as i can tell things are still logging correctly so at least that isn't getting messed up :)

Sprint has been adding a second carrier of B25 to the areas of the country where it has enough spectrum to do so. It is another 5x5 carrier, just like the primary carrier. The "2" in SCP just notes that you are currently on the 2nd carrier.

Sent from my Note 4.

• Like 2

Here are some screenshots after install of Lollipop 5.1 on HTC One m9..

It appears that in addition to the undefined LTE when in the lower position, in some cases, the Sprint Band number is also shown.  We just have to know it.

The first two (2) screen shot is identical to before installation of the upgrade from 5.02 to 5.1

5uUO0ce.png

3Ihgvom.png

Now ... In some cases, ..., NOT ALL, reading the lower limited display may tell you the Band, PCI, etc of the tower that LTE is being seen on.  In this case Sprint Band 26.  The same may occur for Sprint Band 41.  If it is Sprint Band 25 the band number will not show, but the PCI to identify the tower may or may not..

cDG9vmP.png

One of SCP\s competitors has the ability to look at a simplified history log on the device in their software.  I may have missed it on SCP.  My desire is simply the GCI, PCI, frequency band (B25/B26/B41).  In my case, I have had the device pickup a GCI or PCI combination that I was looking for.  I have had more than once seen it only to have it disappear before I successfully got my desired screenshot.

After exporting, the CSV log version in Excel, I did find it in the log that I had in fact been successful in picking up the desired band or combo.  Being able to see the simplified info desired on the device would prompt me to work that area more earnestly in an effort to find a place to get my desired tower / band long enough to screenshot it.

Thanks in advance.

One of SCP\s competitors has the ability to look at a simplified history log on the device in their software. I may have missed it on SCP. My desire is simply the GCI, PCI, frequency band (B25/B26/B41). In my case, I have had the device pickup a GCI or PCI combination that I was looking for. I have had more than once seen it only to have it disappear before I successfully got my desired screenshot.

After exporting, the CSV log version in Excel, I did find it in the log that I had in fact been successful in picking up the desired band or combo. Being able to see the simplified info desired on the device would prompt me to work that area more earnestly in an effort to find a place to get my desired tower / band long enough to screenshot it.

Thanks in advance.

I use "CSV Viewer" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.ne.shira.csv.viewer) when I need to check something like that. But a quick view of logs would be a useful feature.
  • Like 1

I use "CSV Viewer" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.ne.shira.csv.viewer) when I need to check something like that. But a quick view of logs would be a useful feature.

I use SQLite Editor to view and edit the logs without exporting them. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.sqleditor

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1