SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

I use SQLite Editor to view and edit the logs without exporting them. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.sqleditor

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I've had SQLite Editor for a while now but I had never thought to use it to look at unexported logs. Thanks for the tip!

When I upgraded from Lollipop 5.0.2 to Lollipop 5.1, my exported SCP databases lost something or presents in a way that I do not understand.  These are portions of database conversions to **.CSV format.

Lollipop 5.0.2:

nlkggyk.png

Lollipop 5.1:

ASnRBeZ.png

When I upgraded from Lollipop 5.0.2 to Lollipop 5.1, my exported SCP databases lost something or presents in a way that I do not understand. These are portions of database conversions to **.CSV format.

Lollipop 5.0.2:

nlkggyk.png

Lollipop 5.1:

ASnRBeZ.png

If you're talking about the numbers not looking right my guess is that Excel is changing them, not SCP. Use a different CSV editor or better yet backup the database and use a SQLite program to edit. I'm away from the PC at the moment and don't remember the program I use.

• Like 1

If you're talking about the numbers not looking right my guess is that Excel is changing them, not SCP. Use a different CSV editor or better yet backup the database and use a SQLite program to edit. I'm away from the PC at the moment and don't remember the program I use.

I just checked and confirmed. It is an isolated issue for him, not SC or Excel. I just checked my .csv files generated on a phone running LP 5.1.1 and they show up fine in Excel 2013. One should just bring up the .csv in Excel and convert it to a native Excel file before editing. 

(snip)

In your case, maybe backup the .db and try restoring the app. Or, maybe something funny happened with that backup and it was a fluke (close app/restart phone)

• Like 1

Hello all! Despite rumors to the contrary, I am not dead nor have I suddenly abandoned SignalCheck. Everything is great, just crazy busy with work, family stuff, and vacations. I have not even had a few minutes to do my usual S4GRU browsing of non-SignalCheck stuff.

I am still on vacation but when I get back the middle of next week I'll catch up on emails and posts here. I meant to post this sort of update a couple of weeks ago, sorry about that!

-Mike

• Like 21

The second carrier notification seems to be working great for Clear B41. Saw a lot of that in Kansas City over the weekend. However, it doesn't seem to be identifying the second carrier on Nokia B41. I wasn't able to send a diagnostic as I didn't even notice until I was looking at the screenshot later on. The Nokia second carrier can be identified by the 39, 3A, 3B on the GCI. 

Here's an 8T8R second carrier (as best I can tell) in DC I spotted this morning.

Thanks guys! I don't recall ever hearing about the 39/3A/3B second carrier (or I did, and totally failed to make note of it). I will put that in the next update.

Not sure what I did to piss off SCP, but it's sucking the hell out of my battery today. I've made no setting changes today or recently, and I did a clean reboot prior to charging my battery: 

Did it appear to be a short-term fluke? I've mentioned it a few times.. sometimes the Android battery screen is a bit misleading, one of the biggest culprits is power that should be attributed to "Screen" gets attributed to whatever app was in the foreground instead. And I always mention this caveat, I feel like a broken record but it comes up often: the percentage shown is not the battery percentage used by the app, it's the percentage of percentage used. If you're down 50% and SignalCheck shows as 20% usage, that means it's really responsible for 20% x 50% = 10%. I can't explain these fluke-ish power spikes other than trying to push the blame onto Android. ;-)

I had made mention of this in the Google Fi thread, but figured I'd bring it over here to the SCP thread. Anyways, I'm having an issue with SCP and think you may have an idea of what's going on. So here goes.

On Google Fi, as you may or may not know, it will auto switch networks between Sprint/T-Mobile. I've noticed that if I open SCP while on one network, the RSRP/Site Note, etc will change fluidly. However, when it switches to another network, SCP will freeze on the first "update" of the new network and keep those values. It will only update values if you exit SCP and go back in. In order to get it to go back to the fluid updates as you travel, you must reboot the phone. This is on the Nexus 6.

Sorry, I'm not following the Fi thread (perhaps I should be, based on the flood of kudos I just saw on here and in my Inbox) so I didn't know that was happening. Do you know of anyone else having this issue, or is it just you? I believe the Nexus 6 is the only Fi device right now, so that is what you are using, correct? Did you ever use it on Sprint in Clearwire markets? My uneducated guess is that you should experience the same freezing behavior when switching between Sprint and Clear PLMNs, but then again you're obviously switching LTE bands when bouncing between Sprint and T-Mobile, so maybe not.

Congratulations on being one of the Android Central apps of the week.

http://www.androidcentral.com/ac-editors-apps-week-weber-grills-signal-check-mayday-2-and-more#slide5

That is freakin' awesome, I hope Mike stops by soon and sees this!  Congrats Mike!

Hah...I'm browsing the G+ Private forum for Fi users, and they LOVE using SCP Lite....Just thought i'd throw that out there..LOL

Mike, signal check got some exposure in an Android Central article today. Link below.

What it's like switching between networks (and also Wifi) on Project Fi http://www.androidcentral.com/what-its-switching-between-networks-and-wifi-project-fi

Oh wow.. wow. I am extremely humbled -- and embarrassed that it took me a month to see the Android Central pick. How cool is all of that! Thank you everyone!!  B)

-Mike

• Like 8

I looked around a little but couldnt find this...

So when i got to reset connection.....it hangs pretty bad, sometimes I have to go to airplane mode and kick it back out.....and even that wont release it, until I reboot, and then it asks if i want to re-enable radios....

LG G3, and yes its rooted

Some device/OS combinations just work poorly with the Reset feature (which is really just 2 airplane mode toggles separated by a short user-defined period of time). It's a hack, and while root is necessary, SignalCheck is still trying to do something that Android doesn't want it to do. You also need to keep the app on the screen until it's done resetting or you will run into trouble. I hate the way this is implemented, but I have no other choice.

Not sure if this is a known issue or not...but I picked up a Galaxy S6 Active for AT&T and discovered that SCP displays a 1x value in the drop down.

When I go into the app, it is fine.

I've unchecked everything CDMA related, but it still appears to have the issue.

Your diagnostic report showed me what was going on; it's somewhat related to the weird double-connection displays many others are seeing. Some of these new devices are suddenly reporting values in a field that had always reported the CDMA 1X RSSI. SignalCheck sees a value and rolls with it; the logic on the main screen is realizing it's too low to be a valid RSSI, but I missed a similar check for the notification area. It never came up before because these values were never appearing there. I'll have this fixed soon.

i'm starting to wonder if the 1x and LTE connections showing at the same time has something to do with the network? I don't know how thats possible but its just weird the way it acts on my phone.

since i haven't changed anything on my phone and no updates or anything i'm wondering if something is happening on the network side could be causing this behavior?

It appears my HTC One m9 may be having a buffereing/cashe issue that may be feeding some cross information in SCP.

A question please.  In the above screenshots, how much trouble would it be to add GCI to the LTE info when the LTE info is in the second position as in the above two screenshots ??

impossible..... thats the bug, the information being sent to signal check is all whacked and not correct, otherwise if it was you would only be seeing the LTE connection and the correct info for your LTE connection

bmoses, you hit the nail on the head. The info being reported by the OS to SignalCheck appears to be inconsistent and unreliable, resulting in the strange information that several of you are seeing. Jeff68005, the GCI/PCI/TAC is shown whenever it is available; because there is an issue with the source data, it's not appearing. As far as all of us know--and there are some well-educated industry people here--if you are truly connected to LTE on a fairly new device, you should not be seeing a 1X connection. So assume at least one of the groups of information is incorrect. Unfortunately, SignalCheck has nothing to do with the actual signal data; it's just reporting what Android says is there. There isn't much to validate the data as long as it's within certain ranges.

How and why this is happening is a mystery to me at this point. The most reasonable explanation would be a Lollipop bug (nobody is seeing this on KitKat, AFAIK) that is causing stale data to remain behind, or bogus data to be reported. The signal gathering routine that SignalCheck uses is pretty simple; when the OS reports there is new data, the app grabs it and displays it. The complicated parts filter out the bogus data. But my diagnostic screens show me the raw unfiltered data, and it's very strange to see what appear to be valid (and apparently changing) values.

I don't remember if anyone has mentioned this yet, but are similar apps behaving in a similar manner? I'm pretty sure someone posted an LTE Discovery screenshot of 1X and LTE on a Lollipop device recently. Even if it's an OS bug, I might be able to find a workaround to hide it, but I need to figure out how to identify the bug first.

-Mike

• Like 1

It would also be great to show the band of the pci being displayed in neighbor list. Also, others should note I have seen pcis in the neighbor list from almost 50 miles away.

You are correct from the signal standpoint, but from the lookup standpoint in spreadsheet markets we known exactly where and the related bands, ie b25/b26, b25, b26, b41 Sprint, b41 Clear just based on the pci. Perhaps the best place to add the band label is in the description.

With the deployment of B41 in my area, I'm finding that PCIs are being repeated on nearly neighboring sites. Neighboring cells are getting really confused on which PCI is which, even with the location service running. I'm not sure what you are looking for is possible. 

Like David said, PCIs are sometimes repeated in close quarters; I have two adjacent sites that share the PCI that faces my home, and it switches between the two sites fairly regularly. I have no way to know which site the neighbor cells are reporting, because the signal strengths are nearly identical from my location. Also, this may be specific to certain markets, but PCIs are identical across bands at the same site here in New England. As I'm typing this, I'm watching my N5 switch between B25 and B26 at the same site, and both have the same PCI. So there is no way to distinguish it any further, even if you had the entire Sprint network configuration on a 100% accurate spreadsheet.

Maybe add the two site fields with using them for neighbor distance when present as a pro feature only to hopefully increase pro sales.

Well neighbor cells and logging are restricted to the Pro version anyway, so that's already a given. ;-)

One of SCP\s competitors has the ability to look at a simplified history log on the device in their software.  I may have missed it on SCP.  My desire is simply the GCI, PCI, frequency band (B25/B26/B41).  In my case, I have had the device pickup a GCI or PCI combination that I was looking for.  I have had more than once seen it only to have it disappear before I successfully got my desired screenshot.

After exporting, the CSV log version in Excel, I did find it in the log that I had in fact been successful in picking up the desired band or combo.  Being able to see the simplified info desired on the device would prompt me to work that area more earnestly in an effort to find a place to get my desired tower / band long enough to screenshot it.

Adding a log viewer to the app is on my list of things to do, but it's a cumbersome process that will take away from time working on the technical end of it. There are many Android and PC-based sqlite programs that can do a far better job than I could, and you always have the option to export the CSV file to see in any text viewer or Excel.

When I upgraded from Lollipop 5.0.2 to Lollipop 5.1, my exported SCP databases lost something or presents in a way that I do not understand.  These are portions of database conversions to **.CSV format.

Check your setting under Preferences > Logger Settings > Exported Log Timestamp Style and make sure it is set the way you want. If it already appears to be set to Excel, try changing it to something else, back out of all the menus, then go back in and change it back to Excel again. If you're going to use Excel to look at logs often, I'd also change the Exported GCI Text Style to the bracketed format; sometimes Excel tries to treat GCIs containing an "E" as scientific notation and converts it. The brackets prevent that.

-Mike

• Like 2

Thanks guys! I don't recall ever hearing about the 39/3A/3B second carrier (or I did, and totally failed to make note of it). I will put that in the next update.

It was posted in other threads, but I'm not sure if it had made it's way to this thread by the time you did the last update. I'm fairly certain ALU B41 second carrier will be identified the same way. Although I haven't actually seen anyone post an ALU second carrier to confirm.

-Mike

In case you haven't seen, Samsung second B41 carrier uses 03, 04, 05. In SF we've found a few sites that instead use 09, 0A, 0B, but I suspect this was a mistake by a deployment crew, perhaps brought in from LA where I think the Clear second carrier uses those.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 1

Mike like ingenium said you may want to check your band 41 second carrier code in general. Just clearwire and band 25 second carrier works.

Maybe Trip will post a band 41 second carrier for ALU. First carrier is 3x so second carrier should also be 3x.

Did it appear to be a short-term fluke? I've mentioned it a few times.. sometimes the Android battery screen is a bit misleading, one of the biggest culprits is power that should be attributed to "Screen" gets attributed to whatever app was in the foreground instead. And I always mention this caveat, I feel like a broken record but it comes up often: the percentage shown is not the battery percentage used by the app, it's the percentage of percentage used. If you're down 50% and SignalCheck shows as 20% usage, that means it's really responsible for 20% x 50% = 10%. I can't explain these fluke-ish power spikes other than trying to push the blame onto Android. ;-)

Sorry, I'm not following the Fi thread (perhaps I should be, based on the flood of kudos I just saw on here and in my Inbox) so I didn't know that was happening. Do you know of anyone else having this issue, or is it just you? I believe the Nexus 6 is the only Fi device right now, so that is what you are using, correct? Did you ever use it on Sprint in Clearwire markets? My uneducated guess is that you should experience the same freezing behavior when switching between Sprint and Clear PLMNs, but then again you're obviously switching LTE bands when bouncing between Sprint and T-Mobile, so maybe not.

Oh wow.. wow. I am extremely humbled -- and embarrassed that it took me a month to see the Android Central pick. How cool is all of that! Thank you everyone!! B)

-Mike

Mike, you deserve the good Publicity! Your app is awesome, and in my book, is the Standard for seeing Signal information!
  • Like 1

In case you haven't seen, Samsung second B41 carrier uses 03, 04, 05. In SF we've found a few sites that instead use 09, 0A, 0B, but I suspect this was a mistake by a deployment crew, perhaps brought in from LA where I think the Clear second carrier uses those.

Mike like ingenium said you may want to check your band 41 second carrier code in general. Just clearwire and band 25 second carrier works.

Maybe Trip will post a band 41 second carrier for ALU. First carrier is 3x so second carrier should also be 3x.

09, 0A, 0B are second carrier sectors for Sprint B25 in ALU and Ericsson markets, as well as Clear B41. These are all implemented in the app and have been proven to work properly AFAIK.

03, 04, 05 are second carrier sectors for Sprint B25 in Samsung markets. 04 and 05 are already implemented in the app; 03 has been held out because it conflicts with the 01/02/03 first carrier sectors for Sprint B25 being used in ALU and Ericsson markets. I'm still working on adding the 03 second carrier indicator based on information that Flompholph gathered for me (quite awhile ago) to identify Samsung markets. I wasn't aware that they were being used for B41 second carrier sectors in Samsung markets as well, so I'll get on that.

39, 3A, 3B are the only second carrier sectors for Sprint B41/Nokia that I am aware of. These are the ones I just learned of and I am adding to the next update.

Just so I can have my references complete, what are the first carrier sectors for Samsung B41?

-Mike

• Like 1

09, 0A, 0B are second carrier sectors for Sprint B25 in ALU and Ericsson markets, as well as Clear B41. These are all implemented in the app and have been proven to work properly AFAIK.

03, 04, 05 are second carrier sectors for Sprint B25 in Samsung markets; I wasn't aware that they were being used for B41 second carrier sectors in Samsung markets as well. 04 and 05 are already implemented in the app; 03 has been held out because it conflicts with the 01/02/03 first carrier sectors for Sprint B25 being used in ALU and Ericsson markets. I'm still working on adding the 03 second carrier indicator based on information that Flompholph gathered for me (quite awhile ago) to identify Samsung markets. 

39, 3A, 3B are the only second carrier sectors for Sprint B41/Nokia that I am aware of. These are the ones I just learned of and I am adding to the next update.

-Mike

He was talking about 09,0A,0B for band 41 in SF that are mistakes by the workers. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6929-sf-bay-market-nv-20-spreadsheetmap-and-discussion/?p=427656

Shows 03 as a second carrier in SF (Samsung) http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6929-sf-bay-market-nv-20-spreadsheetmap-and-discussion/?p=421587

Samsung keeps the same sectors for band 25 and 41. 00,01,02 First Carrier 03,04,05 Second Carrier.

He was talking about 09,0A,0B for band 41 in SF that are mistakes by the workers. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6929-sf-bay-market-nv-20-spreadsheetmap-and-discussion/?p=427656

Shows 03 as a second carrier in SF (Samsung) http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6929-sf-bay-market-nv-20-spreadsheetmap-and-discussion/?p=421587

Samsung keeps the same sectors for band 25 and 41. 00,01,02 First Carrier 03,04,05 Second Carrier.

Got it, thank you! Since Samsung markets don't (intentionally) use 09, 0A, 0B for anything, I'll try to have those show as second carriers in those markets anyway.

-Mike

-Mike

Those are also the second carrier sectors for ALU B41.

• Like 1

Those are also the second carrier sectors for ALU B41.

Der.. my bad, I knew that. I see the first carriers on my phone every day. (No ² sightings in my area yet). For some reason I keep thinking Nokia took over Ericsson and ALU's original NV turf.

-Mike

Der.. my bad, I knew that. I see the first carriers on my phone every day. (No ² sightings in my area yet). For some reason I keep thinking Nokia took over Ericsson and ALU's original NV turf.

-Mike

That's soon™ when Nokia finally concludes buying out ALUs wireless group. 

• Like 1

New update just pushed out for those on the beta crew! Hopefully it will eliminate the wacky 1X and GSM connections appearing for some (but I do not expect it to fix everyone just yet). All B25/B41 second carriers should now display except for B25 sector 03 in Samsung markets -- still working on that. Boost and Virgin Mobile users should now see all band indicators and second carriers as long as you're seeing a GCI. Let me know..

-Mike

• Like 3

New update just pushed out for those on the beta crew! Hopefully it will eliminate the wacky 1X and GSM connections appearing for some (but I do not expect it to fix everyone just yet). All B25/B41 second carriers should now display except for B25 sector 03 in Samsung markets -- still working on that. Boost and Virgin Mobile users should now see all band indicators and second carriers as long as you're seeing a GCI. Let me know..

-Mike

Hi Mike,

I've had Signal Check Pro for many months and I really like it. However, as a suggestion which I'm unsure if its been mentioned at all yet, or if it's even been considered at all or not. Although, I'll go ahead and ask anyways.

What about showing a map with the active and the neighboring cells listed, if that is possible to add on your program.