Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

Will Sprint release a coverage map of Clearwire 2500 LTE and LTE 800 when they release these triband devices? Really want to see if my local clearwire site has been upgraded to LTE.

I don't really think there is anyway we can know for sure at this point. I would imagine they will have to do something to distinguish 800 lte coverage at least, since at initial launch most devices on the market will not operate within the expanded lte coverage 800 will offer.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Will Sprint release a coverage map of Clearwire 2500 LTE and LTE 800 when they release these triband devices? Really want to see if my local clearwire site has been upgraded to LTE.

I don't really think there is anyway we can know for sure at this point. I would imagine they will have to do something to distinguish 800 lte coverage at least, since at initial launch most devices on the market will not operate within the expanded lte coverage 800 will offer.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Where's that spectrum analyzer when you need one?!

They already have device specific coverage maps on Sprint.com. I suspect they will continue with that.

• Like 3

What is the clearwire 2500 LTE footprint going to be? Current WiMAX?

Less than that I believe. They already cut back on their initially announced LTE deployment. Once Sprint buys them I would imagine that Sprint would take some towers down that they feel overlap too much and consolidate towers.

The LG phone expected in the fall should be the sequel to their Optimus G, which was released last fall and which Sprint still sells. The Pro that is on AT&T is intended to be the start of a different device class, like the Note is for Samsung. The Pro series from LG will be characterized by larger screens and a build emphasizing functionality and ergonomics (i.e., curved plastic) where their main flagship line will stay around 4.7-5 inches and have a more "high design" feel.

Anyway, look for LG's next phone on Sprint to be super-premium and include a Snapdragon 800 chip with tri-band LTE. I just don't think it will be labeled as "Pro".

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

What is the clearwire 2500 LTE footprint going to be? Current WiMAX?

That depends on softbank's plans.

It could be anything from a few hotspots to nearly covering the entire pcs footprint (excluding highways)

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

It could be anything from a few hotspots to nearly covering the entire pcs footprint (excluding highways)

Huh? on highways could lessen the load I would think (not only on highway but all the people served by those towers) unless you are talking rural highways outside 300-500K+ population centers? In that case plenty of coverage/capacity likely already.

Huh? on highways could lessen the load I would think (not only on highway but all the people served by those towers) unless you are talking rural highways outside 300-500K+ population centers? In that case plenty of coverage/capacity likely already.

I believe he means highways will not be covered by 2500 because it covers such a small area that a car moving at highway speeds would not be in it's coverage zone for very long.

I believe he means highways will not be covered by 2500 because it covers such a small area that a car moving at highway speeds would not be in it's coverage zone for very long.
yeah, 800 makes a ton of sense for highway towers, but 2500 really doesn't.

If they launch LTE 2500 on every PCS tower in NYC, that would almost be overkill. LOL! 

I thought that LTE was more usable further out than WiMax meaning that you'd get slightly better coverage over LTE 2500 than on WiMax if they were on all of the same towers.

If they launch LTE 2500 on every PCS tower in NYC, that would almost be overkill. LOL! 

I thought that LTE was more usable further out than WiMax meaning that you'd get slightly better coverage over LTE 2500 than on WiMax if they were on all of the same towers.

I'd think 2500 LTE would only be used where more capacity is needed, mainly urban areas and high traffic areas.  2500 is not as useful by itself but will be great to augment 800/1900 where needed.   

Edited by TyrellCorpse

I'd think 2500 LTE would only be used where more capacity is needed, mainly urban areas and high traffic areas.  2500 is not as useful by itself but will be great to augment 800/1900 where needed.

Capacity is needed in Midtown Manhattan! All networks bog down there. On Verizon in midtown, my mom has a hard time getting above 3Mbps on 4G.

Yes LTE 2500 would have better coverage than Wimax 2500 but the Sprint cell towers are positioned for 1900 MHz CDMA.  So I don't think it would be overkill if they did put LTE 2500 on every tower in NYC since we know that the LTE airlink is weaker than CDMA and it won't even interfere with neighboring Sprint cell towers.  I think if Sprint put LTE 2500 at every tower especially in midtown Manhattan that would provide a lot of capacity which would is sorely needed.

My biggest concern is whether Sprint will launch LTE 2500 in all major markets including those that were missed in the Wimax deployment.  All this talk about Sprint providing capacity relief and the majority of LTE traffic on LTE 2500 would be all fluff it it doesn't cover markets like Phoenix, New Orleans, Detroit, San Diego, etc that were missed out in Wimax deployment.  I really hope that this is the case and with Softbank funding hopefully it can be a reality.

• Like 3

In NYC their tower spacing is way more dense than what is actually needed for PCS. It is hard to go below 4 bars while outdoors. LTE 2500 on every tower might actually have perfect spacing in NYC if placced on every single tower.

In NYC their tower spacing is way more dense than what is actually needed for PCS. It is hard to go below 4 bars while outdoors. LTE 2500 on every tower might actually have perfect spacing in NYC if placced on every single tower.

It depends, I was in Rego Park on friday night and it was iffy in some spots, even outdoors.

Yes LTE 2500 would have better coverage than Wimax 2500 but the Sprint cell towers are positioned for 1900 MHz CDMA.  So I don't think it would be overkill if they did put LTE 2500 on every tower in NYC since we know that the LTE airlink is weaker than CDMA and it won't even interfere with neighboring Sprint cell towers.  I think if Sprint put LTE 2500 at every tower especially in midtown Manhattan that would provide a lot of capacity which would is sorely needed.

My biggest concern is whether Sprint will launch LTE 2500 in all major markets including those that were missed in the Wimax deployment.  All this talk about Sprint providing capacity relief and the majority of LTE traffic on LTE 2500 would be all fluff it it doesn't cover markets like Phoenix, New Orleans, Detroit, San Diego, etc that were missed out in Wimax deployment.  I really hope that this is the case and with Softbank funding hopefully it can be a reality.

The one important thing is Sprint will be better positioned to manage coverage/capacity as it is needed once on 800/1900/2500.  They have various tools to select from now (er, soon).  It's more important for them to get 800 first everywhere for coverage and  then 2500 only as needed.  Of course the backhaul needs to be there too, which is probably a bigger challenge.

I'd rather see Sprint manage performance to 6-10Mbps average and keep unlimited than try to pursue being the fastest 4G.  Latency matters more to smartphone apps and light tethering after a few Mbps.

Edited by TyrellCorpse
  • Like 1

The one important thing is Sprint will be better positioned to manage coverage/capacity as it is needed once on 800/1900/2500.  They have various tools to select from now (er, soon).  It's more important for them to get 800 first everywhere for coverage and  then 2500 only as needed.  Of course the backhaul needs to be there too, which is probably a bigger challenge.

I'd rather see Sprint manage performance to 6-10Mbps average and keep unlimited than try to pursue being the fastest 4G.  Latency matters more to smartphone apps and light tethering after a few Mbps.

The 800 and 2500 LTE build outs are completely independent.  The 800 LTE build out is being tracked by Sprint and the 2500 LTE build out is being tracked by Clearwire.  Both 800 and 2500 LTE buildouts are very important and I wouldn't worry about whether one frequency is preferred over the other.

So for the past two days my phone has been losing battery real quick and noticed that my phone is having a hard time connecting to the tower.I usually get band 10 on the custom prl but it seems to not want to connect anymore could they be doing something to the tower.I did rest my phone and that didn't help.any thoughts

We have noticed many iDEN conversion to CDMA in San Diego.  Why is that? Is it possible now that areas that has no Sprint service will get an iDEN conversion?  Maybe new plans from Softbank?

What?

haha i mean iDEN to CDMA conversion.  Thought Sprint is not converting as many, but big cities like San Diego are seeing some.  

haha i mean iDEN to CDMA conversion.  Thought Sprint is not converting as many, but big cities like San Diego are seeing some.  

It looks like there won't be any in San Diego for quite some time, not until they get approval to use the 800 Mhz frequencies for CDMA/LTE.

There is an 80 mile buffer zone where these aren't getting converted.

It looks like there won't be any in San Diego for quite some time, not until they get approval to use the 800 Mhz frequencies for CDMA/LTE.

There is an 80 mile buffer zone where these aren't getting converted.

IDEN to CDMA could still mean putting in the NV equipment at 1900mhz and removing the old Nextel stuff.