Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

Would that mean San Diego can get LTE using 800Mhz?

Sure, if the FCC and the Mexican equivalent are cool with that proposed allocation. It'll still probably be a few years since both sides would need to move transmitters to other frequencies and Sprint/Softbank would need to install the 800MHz equipment that didn't get installed here during NV.

What are you talking about?  The new 800 MHz band plan would only give Sprint 5.5 x 5.5 MHz to play with.  That means at most a 3x3 LTE carrier and a 1.25x1.25 CDMA carrier can be deployed at 800 MHz.

The white "US Primary" on the post-reallocation part of the graphic says 6.25 x 6.25, which I assume means that Sprint has priority over anything on the Mexican side in that part of the band.

Would that mean San Diego can get LTE using 800Mhz?

That is my question.  But that all hinges on what does "Co-primary" mean for the 5.5 x 5.5 MHz part for the ESMR band.  If that means that Sprint only has 5.5 x 5.5 MHz to play with, then I don't see why Sprint wouldn't deploy a 3x3 LTE and a CDMA carrier.  Sprint should try to make use of all available spectrum that they have on hand for better voice and data speeds.  

I believe the NV panels on the NV cell sites in San Diego contain the typical 800/1900 MHz support?  If so, then Sprint can add 800 MHz to it once this rebanding is finished.  I surely hope that Sprint did not erect 1900 MHz only NV panels in the Mexican border affected markets (Tucson, San Diego, El Paso, southwest San Antonio).

That is my question.  But that all hinges on what does "Co-primary" mean for the 5.5 x 5.5 MHz part for the ESMR band.  If that means that Sprint only has 5.5 x 5.5 MHz to play with, then I don't see why Sprint wouldn't deploy a 3x3 LTE and a CDMA carrier.  Sprint should try to make use of all available spectrum that they have on hand for better voice and data speeds.  

I believe the NV panels on the NV cell sites in San Diego contain the typical 800/1900 MHz support?  If so, then Sprint can add 800 MHz to it once this rebanding is finished.  I surely hope that Sprint did not erect 1900 MHz only NV panels in the Mexican border affected markets (Tucson, San Diego, El Paso, southwest San Antonio).

The panels support it, but there's no RF equipment for 800 installed.

Huh, Sprint only has the upper end of ESMR, according to this. So yeah, it'd be 3x3 LTE + CDMA.

Correct.  The ESMR band is from 817-824 MHz and 862-869 MHz.  So the 6.25 x 6.25 MHz of Mexican Primary spectrum does encroach into the US ESMR band by 1.5 MHz ending at 818.5 MHz.  I wish the US and Mexico could swap the 6.25 x 6.25 MHz blocks so that the US Primary spectrum is adjacent to the Co-Primary spectrum so that Sprint would have the full 7x7 MHz of 800 MHz spectrum.  But I do know that the US public safety uses spectrum from 806-809 MHz which is why the US chose the first half of 6.25 MHz

Correct.  The ESMR band is from 817-824 MHz and 862-869 MHz.  So the 6.25 x 6.25 MHz of Mexican Primary spectrum does encroach into the US ESMR band by 1.5 MHz ending at 818.5 MHz.  I wish the US and Mexico could swap the 6.25 x 6.25 MHz blocks so that the US Primary spectrum is adjacent to the Co-Primary spectrum so that Sprint would have the full 7x7 MHz of 800 MHz spectrum.  But I do know that the US public safety uses spectrum from 806-809 MHz which is why the US chose the first half of 6.25 MHz

I wonder why directional antennas couldn't be used to ensure the signal didn't cross over to Mexico, especially since skip is very unlikely at such a high frequency. Like, I'm sure it's a treaty/law thing, but still.

I had posted this earlier somewhere, but is it accurate with 3x3LTE?  http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/160033-its-dead-jim-sprint-iden-has-finally-been-shut-down

Other border areas (like the Southwest border, stretching from California to Texas) will permit CDMA 1X and 3MHz LTE.

3x3LTE is better than no 800mhz!

• Like 1

In SignalCheck, apparently if the SID is 22xx, it's 800Mhz. You don't need the Pro version to see the SID.

You don't need the Pro version for the 1X label to display "1X 800" when connected to it either. Pro adds the status bar icons and alerts.

-Mike

Actually the custom one is ahead of 25015...what SID are you seeing 800smr on?

25015 sid 1xrtt gives sid 4106 (-69dBm)

33010 on 800mhz gives sid 22429 (-71dBm)

so different towers

Sprint has been using 22429 as their testing SID. The stock PRL will not connect to it. The custom one will.

BID is more indicative of the tower/site you are connecting to.. it will be the same whether you are on 800 or 1900. You very well could have been connected to the same tower both times.

-Mike

Oh very cool thanks, so I should leave the custom prl

I am also in the Boston area, and have been using a custom PRL and staying on 800 for a couple of weeks now. I have not had any problems. If you start having issues, check your PRL.. your device might auto-update back to the stock one once in awhile.

-Mike

I surely hope that Sprint did not erect 1900 MHz only NV panels in the Mexican border affected markets (Tucson, San Diego, El Paso, southwest San Antonio).

Hi Eric, that's also the question I asked in the Sensorly mapping thread. According to Sprint's network improvement map, the marked tower has received "2 data speed upgrades" (you'll need to zoom the map to find the marker in all the clutter).

The antennas on the upgraded site look suspiciously like the Samsung IBEZ panels in this thread. Take a close look at photos 10 thru 13.

Have a great weekend,

John

Sorry if this has been asked, could not find.  Does someone need to be onsite when 800 voice is activated on a completed NV site (to do testing, etc) or can it be remotely turned on with no onsite testing/engineering presence.  If the latter, I could see that slowing down the 800 rollout.

Sorry if this has been asked, could not find. Does someone need to be onsite when 800 voice is activated on a completed NV site (to do testing, etc) or can it be remotely turned on with no onsite testing/engineering presence. If the latter, I could see that slowing down the 800 rollout.

I am sure it could be fired up remotely if the physical connections in the basestation are done but I don't see them doing that. We are talking voice here. And being a 911 service, you definitely need to make sure it works correctly with a bit of drive testing and calls.

I am also in the Boston area, and have been using a custom PRL and staying on 800 for a couple of weeks now. I have not had any problems. If you start having issues, check your PRL.. your device might auto-update back to the stock one once in awhile.

-Mike

How is the 800 CDMA voice experience so far indoors?  Does it reach deep indoors like verizon and ATT?

How is the 800 CDMA voice experience so far indoors?  Does it reach deep indoors like verizon and ATT?

I have had 800 service for about a month and have it on every site around me. Yes, it is as good as the others and probably better as Sprint has more cell sites than the others. Of course in each individual situation, it is going to depend on the locations of the cell sites compared to where you are located. 

• Like 2

I have had 800 service for about a month and have it on every site around me. Yes, it is as good as the others and probably better as Sprint has more cell sites than the others. Of course in each individual situation, it is going to depend on the locations of the cell sites compared to where you are located. 

I hope so. I don't have Sprint but I hope this is true cause I read some angry posts on Sprint.com:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/581711

I hope so. I don't have Sprint but I hope this is true cause I read some angry posts on Sprint.com:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/581711

I highly recommend you do not link anything from sites like sprint community boards nor sites like sprint users. I'm half tempted to ban whoever posts these links as the ignorance from reading their contents makes me want to vomit and shut down the part of my brain that controls my aggression.... 

If you want to read about sprint in an usually objective manner and not a emotional manner then stay here. 

• Like 9

I highly recommend you do not link anything from sites like sprint community boards nor sites like sprint users. I'm half tempted to ban whoever posts these links as the ignorance from reading their contents makes me want to vomit and shut down the part of my brain that controls my aggression.... 

If you want to read about sprint in an usually objective manner and not a emotional manner then stay here. 

They speak from the perspective of customers. Customers should be able to use a product and not have to worry about backhaul, cell density, how Nextel was a bad corporate move, blah blah. 

What's wrong with admitting, "Yeah Sprint screwed you and millions of people by pretending that its 3G network was USABLE all these years, selling you on 'unlimited data', even though Hesse knew that his network was unusable, but it was either you or Sprint. We entrusted our 4G future to Clearwire and then realized we were @#$% when they stopped buildout so our 3G network became decimated. Also, Cleawire built their network with a far too small cell density but we had no control over that so we got @#$%& cause even in the WiMax areas, WiMax barely penetrated buildings. Welcome to capitalism"

At least that'd be honest.

• Like 3

They speak from the perspective of customers. Customers should be able to use a product and not have to worry about backhaul, cell density, how Nextel was a bad corporate move, blah blah. 

What's wrong with admitting, "Yeah Sprint screwed you and millions of people by pretending that its 3G network was USABLE all these years, selling you on 'unlimited data', even though Hesse knew that his network was unusable, but it was either you or Sprint. We entrusted our 4G future to Clearwire and then realized we were @#$% when they stopped buildout so our 3G network became decimated. Also, Cleawire built their network with a far too small cell density but we had no control over that so we got @#$%& cause even in the WiMax areas, WiMax barely penetrated buildings. Welcome to capitalism"

At least that'd be honest.

The typical complaint posts on those type of forums aren't that constructive.  It's more of you suck, I hate you, I pay $10 a month for blah, blah, blah.  Throw in a bunch of !!!! and capitalized crap and you have a typical complainer's post.  Nothing good comes from that.

• Like 7

Amen to that. 99% of them DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT

• Like 1

Fix it and be done with it. Like I hope Son wants to do.

At this point I don't think there is any question - he wants to get it done ASAFP.  That seems especially true for the CLWR spectrum integration.  

The typical complaint posts on those type of forums aren't that constructive. It's more of you suck, I hate you, I pay $10 a month for blah, blah, blah. Throw in a bunch of !!!! and capitalized crap and you have a typical complainer's post. Nothing good comes from that.

S4GRU is attempting to be a different kind of community from the Sprint message boards which are often full of dissatisfied customers' rants. This site is at its best when we are talking optimistically about future network improvements, or handset RF performance, rumored phones, details of how cell networks operate etc. But when threads devolve into people ranting about people ranting, or complaining about people complaining,it starts to look like a weird sort of cult. So it's on all of us to make this a friendly and helpful community for Sprint users, and try to politely remind people that we want to try to keep things positive as much as is possible.

I say all this knowing I've probably been guilty of both kinds of complaining on occasion, just trying to articulate what we should all strive for.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 5