Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

How can I tell if my LTE EVO is picking up a 800 signal? I have the signalcheck lite app will this tell me?

Yes, signalcheck will show 1X800 in the 1X portion of the signal display. If you have the pro version, it will also notify you when it detects an 800SMR signal. 

• Like 1

How can I tell if my LTE EVO is picking up a 800 signal? I have the signalcheck lite app will this tell me?

In SignalCheck, apparently if the SID is 22xx, it's 800Mhz.  You don't need the Pro version to see the SID.

Edited by TyrellCorpse

Received a notification today from signal check that my phone connected to 1x 800. It was weird because I have full bars on 1xrtt and when it connected to 800 it went down to one bar. I am guessing they were testing it or something. I thought 800 was supposed to boost your signal not make it worse. I am in Vancouver Washington and I am in a 4g area.

It looks like there won't be any in San Diego for quite some time, not until they get approval to use the 800 Mhz frequencies for CDMA/LTE.

There is an 80 mile buffer zone where these aren't getting converted.

It's already been said, but an iDEN conversion doesn't refer to the spectrum being used, rather that the site, which was formerly an iDEN only site, is being converted to a Sprint NV site. These sites, if in the IBEZ, will broadcast PCS 3G and LTE, just like any other Sprint NV site in the IBEZ. 

Received a notification today from signal check that my phone connected to 1x 800. It was weird because I have full bars on 1xrtt and when it connected to 800 it went down to one bar. I am guessing they were testing it or something. I thought 800 was supposed to boost your signal not make it worse. I am in Vancouver Washington and I am in a 4g area.

It sounds like the site that was broadcasting 800 was much further away than the site you were connected to previously. This is likely due to the fact that Android phones do actively scan for 800 (unlike iPhones) and will try to hold onto that 800 signal until it's gone. Once all the towers in the area are upgraded, it will boost your signal, this won't be a problem anymore.

• Like 1

The 800 signal might be coming from a more distant tower.

In SignalCheck, apparently if the SID is 22xx, it's 800Mhz.  You don't need the Pro version to see the SID.

Nope.  The 1x800 SID's are 5 digits, 224xx if memory serves. ;)

Are the iden cells just not accepting connections or is the carrier actually not on the air?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

As the others have said, this occurs when the 800 1x site you're connecting to is farther away than the 1900 1x site you were connected to. So that is the reduction in signal strength. When the closer 1900 site gets upgraded to 800, then you'd likely be impressed.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback. Will look forward to it.

As the others have said, this occurs when the 800 1x site you're connecting to is farther away than the 1900 1x site you were connected to. So that is the reduction in signal strength. When the closer 1900 site gets upgraded to 800, then you'd likely be impressed.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Edited by Olejkab

It looks like there won't be any in San Diego for quite some time, not until they get approval to use the 800 Mhz frequencies for CDMA/LTE.

There is an 80 mile buffer zone where these aren't getting converted.

It's actually ~52 miles. The limit is 100km from the border. That being said, I've seen some scheduled Network Vision enhancements for 800MHz here on the southern edges of Tucson... that's within the IBEZ. I wouldn't give up all hope if you're within that boundary zone.

• Like 1

My first time connecting to an 800 tower in my area... Does everything look good and from reports in our Columbus market thread is backhaul isn't connected yet, will the 800 and 3g nv improve once completed?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

uploadfromtaptalk1373032290913.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1373032316490.jpg

• Like 1

My first time connecting to an 800 tower in my area... Does everything look good and from reports in our Columbus market thread is backhaul isn't connected yet, will the 800 and 3g nv improve once completed?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Looking at your 800 1X and EVDO signal level, I would suspect the 800 is coming from a site further away from you than your EVDO is.    Hard to really prove that, but normally the 800 will be better than EVDO if it is all coming from the some site.  If I am correct, you will see an upgrade at a closer site and see even better 800 signal level.

Upgraded backhaul will give you LTE and possibly improved speeds on EVDO especially if they have not been good.

It will not help your 800 1X until another site closer to you gets upgraded.  Your 800 level is surely good enough to work well, but I suspect it is going to get better based on your EVDO level.

• Like 1

I'm in Vegas for vacation and as soon as I landed and I've been picking up CDMA 1X 800. I'm on digiblurs custom PRL. My wife on a stock GS3 and stock PRL can't pick it up for some reason. I went ahead and updated PRL to stock and then couldn't pick it up. Reverted back to custom PRL and I've got it again.

Posted Image

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 3

You sound just like my experience where my wife's S3 was dead since EVDO was flooded.  I had 800SMR to play with for my data usage.  Except when I was there there weren't any LTE sites.

You sound just like my experience where my wife's S3 was dead since EVDO was flooded. I had 800SMR to play with for my data usage. Except when I was there there weren't any LTE sites.

Yeah that's pretty much how it's been. EVDO has been useless for the most part.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Is Sprint going to deploy a 3x3 MHz LTE carrier in markets of southeast US? I am curious when Sprint starts rolling out triband LTE devices if they will test 3 and 5 MHz bandwidths for 800 MHz.

Also I don't understand the new proposed 800 MHz Mexican/US band plan below. What does "Co-Primary" mean? Does this mean that if this new band plan passes those cities near the Mexican border will be able to deploy a 3x3 LTE carrier and 1 CDMA carrier?

BandPlan.jpg

So in boston, and if I'm on the stock PRL i get 1xRTT, but when i flash the custom PRL i get 800mhz coverage (same spot)

Anyone know what's going on?  Does the stock PRL not prioritize 800mhz at all??

(custom PRL is out of date i think, it's 33010, whereas the stock is 25015)

Is Sprint going to deploy a 3x3 MHz LTE carrier in markets of southeast US? I am curious when Sprint starts rolling out triband LTE devices if they will test 3 and 5 MHz bandwidths for 800 MHz.

Also I don't understand the new proposed 800 MHz Mexican/US band plan below. What does "Co-Primary" mean? Does this mean that if this new band plan passes those cities near the Mexican border will be able to deploy a 3x3 LTE carrier and 1 CDMA carrier?

Looks like at least one 5x5 LTE and 1 CDMA carrier, for a grand total of 12.5MHz (6.25 each direction).

So in boston, and if I'm on the stock PRL i get 1xRTT, but when i flash the custom PRL i get 800mhz coverage (same spot)

Anyone know what's going on? Does the stock PRL not prioritize 800mhz at all??

(custom PRL is out of date i think, it's 33010, whereas the stock is 25015)

Actually the custom one is ahead of 25015...what SID are you seeing 800smr on?

Looks like at least one 5x5 LTE and 1 CDMA carrier, for a grand total of 12.5MHz (6.25 each direction).

Would that mean San Diego can get LTE using 800Mhz?

Actually the custom one is ahead of 25015...what SID are you seeing 800smr on?

25015 sid 1xrtt gives sid 4106 (-69dBm)

33010 on 800mhz gives sid 22429 (-71dBm)

so different towers

What are you talking about?  The new 800 MHz band plan would only give Sprint 5.5 x 5.5 MHz to play with.  That means at most a 3x3 LTE carrier and a 1.25x1.25 CDMA carrier can be deployed at 800 MHz.