Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

Why would SVLTE be going away soon?

Might be, SVLTE might be going away soon due to too many bands and transmit paths required. And keep in mind that basically no 3GPP only handsets support SVLTE.

AJ

Might be, SVLTE might be going away soon due to too many bands and transmit paths required. And keep in mind that basically no 3GPP only handsets support SVLTE.

AJ

:td: I constantly use SVLTE! Will there ever be a supplement to this?

• Like 1

AJ

this is the only good thing about the Evo LTE

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Yes and no.  If/when SVLTE goes the way of the dodo, you will need to hope for VoLTE, use VoIP, or switch to a network that has CSFB to W-CDMA.

AJ

Maybe, but that is hardly unique.  All Sprint LTE handsets support SVLTE -- the lone exception is iPhone 5.  Are you thinking of SVDO?

AJ

Maybe, but that is hardly unique.  All Sprint LTE handsets support SVLTE -- the lone exception is iPhone 5.  Are you thinking of SVDO?

AJ

Yes and no.  If/when SVLTE goes the way of the dodo, you will need to hope for VoLTE, use VoIP, or switch to a network that has CSFB to W-CDMA.

AJ

I have very little faith in VoLTE (the way Sprint seemed to completely give up on it, maybe after LTE 800!?) and  Voip on phones tends to be very cumbersome. Hopefully initial tri-band phones will still support SVLTE.

AJ

The iPhone 5 doesn't support SVLTE?  So customers can't talk on CDMA and browse on LTE at the same time on the iPhone 5?  If that is true then I don't get why Sprint would allow that in the first place.

Maybe, but that is hardly unique. All Sprint LTE handsets support SVLTE -- the lone exception is iPhone 5. Are you thinking of SVDO?

AJ

..Yes SVDO. I've always wanted in waited for this is the Motorola q9c. Thank you for clarifying that

The iPhone 5 doesn't support SVLTE?  So customers can't talk on CDMA and browse on LTE at the same time on the iPhone 5?

This was established immediately upon release last September. I am surprised that you are surprised.

If that is true then I don't get why Sprint would allow that in the first place.

In the mobile space, Apple is the 800 pound gorilla.  It does whatever it wants.

AJ

This was established immediately upon release last September. I am surprised that you are surprised.

In the mobile space, Apple is the 800 pound gorilla.  It does whatever it wants.

AJ

I guess I didn't remember it in detail since its the iPhone which I didn't care too much about.  I thought it was SVDO that was the stickler on the iPhone 5.  Hopefully the iPhone 5S will have triband LTE and SVLTE.

I just quickly reread the wall article back in Sept 2012 and yes you are correct it was noted that the iPhone 5 doesn't support SVDO or SVLTE.

Hopefully the iPhone 5S will have triband LTE and SVLTE.

Tri band LTE is your only hope.  SVLTE is not gonna happen on the iPhone.

AJ

Maybe I didn't proof read what the Evo LTE wrote but, being able to talk and surf on 3G is a great thing. When it comes to LTE and talk I can't even imagine cause I don't have it

Maybe I didn't proof read what the Evo LTE wrote but, being able to talk and surf on 3G is a great thing. When it comes to LTE and talk I can't even imagine cause I don't have it

Currently my HTC ONE does NOT support SVDO (Voice+Data over 3G) only SVLTE (Voice+Data over LTE), so that might give you an idea of the direction things are going..

In the mobile space, Apple is the 800 pound gorilla. It does whatever it wants.

AJ

I guess I didn't remember it in detail since its the iPhone which I didn't care too much about. I thought it was SVDO that was the stickler on the iPhone 5. Hopefully the iPhone 5S will have triband LTE and SVLTE.

I just quickly reread the wall article back in Sept 2012 and yes you are correct it was noted that the iPhone 5 doesn't support SVDO or SVLTE.

For what it's worth, for the small number of times I've needed SVLTE or SVDO I wish I had it, but I haven't needed it enough to drive me crazy. I'm planning on getting another Android device when the Tri-Band LTE devices are released and I hope they have SVLTE.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Why would SVLTE be going away soon?

AJ

AJ, could it be possible that SVLTE will only operate on one LTE band instead of all three?

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Currently my HTC ONE does NOT support SVDO (Voice+Data over 3G) only SVLTE (Voice+Data over LTE), so that might give you an idea of the direction things are going..

that's what I'm afraid of cause I don't have LTE and I probably won't till 2014 thank you though

Given the size of Sprint's 800 Mhz spectrum holdings (they can't fit MORE than a 5x5 LTE carrier there, even if they got rid of the 1xA carrier), I don't know why they'd be in any hurry to get rid of the 1xA carrier on 800Mhz.

I love SVLTE, it is a great feature and I will look for it in all my future devices (until VoLTE takes over in 15yrs)

You may love SVLTE, but it may not last until VoLTE takes over -- unless you are willing to hold on to an older SVLTE handset or two through the latter stages of this decade.

We shall see...

AJ

can someone more knowledgeable answer this question for me.

if you are on a call, and are on 800 from one tower, and move out of range of that tower and its 800, and the next closest tower only has 1900 will the call hand off to that tower and switch to 1900? or will the call drop?

i ask because there is a spot on the interstate around here that everyone i know on sprint drops a call there. the problem is that, once NV is here and done, as you are coming from the south going north you would pick up a full build site that will have 800, but the further north you go the only 2 possible towers that you can switch to are both GMO sites so they won't have 800 for awhile.

just bumping this as it seems to have gotten lost in the SVDO/SVLTE talk from last night.

just bumping this as it seems to have gotten lost in the SVDO/SVLTE talk from last night.

This has been asked and answered many times over. Inter frequency hard handoffs are not always perfect, but they are no great shakes.

AJ

This has been asked and answered many times over. Inter frequency hard handoffs are not always perfect, but they are no great shakes.

AJ

well i must be a dumbass then cause i've searched and have not been able to find an simple answer that i can understand. all i'm looking for is either

1) yes 800 can handoff to 1900 (or vice versa) without dropping a call

2) no you will drop a call every time 800 hands off to 1900 (or vice versa)

3) 800 should be able to handoff to 1900 (or vice versa) without dropping a call, but sometimes it will still drop the call when handing off.

3) 800 should be able to handoff to 1900 (or vice versa) without dropping a call, but sometimes it will still drop the call when handing off.

I will take what is behind curtain #3, Bob...

;)

AJ

• Like 4

I will take what is behind curtain #3, Bob...

;)

AJ

thanks, now i know what to tell my family members that are having dropped calls in that spot what then can expect when NV gets done around here :)

thanks, now i know what to tell my family members that are having dropped calls in that spot what then can expect when NV gets done around here :)

Keep in mind that if it is a SID boundary -- hence, a transition between MSCs -- then the call may still drop.

AJ