Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

With LTE turned off, what is data speed?

It is good on almost all upgraded sites because if LTE is active, the faster backhaul is there.  Generally, I can get almost 2 meg down at most sites on EVDO. Since LTE clients are off the EVDO, It will probably stay good. All my local sites are upgraded and are 3G, 800, and 4G capable.   Working good, ---no,--- better than good, call it GREAT.

It is good on almost all upgraded sites because if LTE is active, the faster backhaul is there.  Generally, I can get almost 2 meg down at most sites on EVDO. Since LTE clients are off the EVDO, It will probably stay good. All my local sites are upgraded and are 3G, 800, and 4G capable.   Working good, ---no,--- better than good, call it GREAT.

So what about when you are on 800 and no 1900 around.  800 doesn't support EVDO, right?

So what about when you are on 800 and no 1900 around.  800 doesn't support EVDO, right?

CDMA1X 800 ≤ 153.9 kbps.

AJ

• Like 1

If you are talking about data on the 800 CDMA 1x voice channel, then AJ answered you.

CDMA1X 800 ≤ 153.9 kbps.

However, almost all sites that have the new 800 will also have EVDO for Data and maybe LTE.

It does not matter if your phone is using 1900 or 800, the EVDO will not be different.

If you are talking about data on the 800 CDMA 1x voice channel, then AJ answered you.

CDMA1X 800 ≤ 153.9 kbps.

However, almost all sites that have the new 800 will also have EVDO for Data and maybe LTE.

It does not matter if your phone is using 1900 or 800, the EVDO will not be different.

EVDO will not be on 800, only on 1900.

So yes it does matter. You could have amazing voice signal on 800 but non-existent EVDO on 1900.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

So is the LTE 800 going to be on a 5x5 MHz carrier or a 3x3? Still unsure after reading a bit in this thread. Edit: also, if it's 3x3, what's the maximum speeds it'll allow?

If my understanding is correct, it will be a 5x5, except in the SE (where SoLinc has some of the 800 spectrum) and the IBEZ (near the boarders with Canada and Mexico, due to interference with iDen and public safety in those countries). In SoLinc areas, I think they will be limited to 3x3 unless they can get the spectrum from SoLinc. In the IBEZ areas it will depend on what Canada/US and Mexico/US agree to in terms of moving the public safety channels and rebanding that spectrum, but right now they can't roll out voice or LTE on 800 Mhz in the IBEZ. I THINK I saw a chart on this thread with the proposed US/Mexico plan. US public safety to a 6x6 at the bottom, Mexico took a 6x6 in the middle, and there was a 5.5x5.5 shared at the top (This is all from memory, so someone correct me if I'm wrong) I assume the shared area will be just like PCS between the US and CANADA, where providers on both sides can use it without too much interference, since it won't be high power or narrow bands. You need about 6.5 by 6.5 to do a 1.25x1.25 CDMA and a 5x5 LTE (due to guard bands) So I'm guessing Sprint will be doing a 3x3 LTE and one CDMA 1xA carrier let in IBEZ areas as well. Could they squeeze a second CDMA 1xA carrier in the IBEZ areas, or will there not be enough space if you include guard bands? I thought there were some already built in in certain spots?

• Like 1

Correct.  800SMR will only be used for CDMA 1X and LTE.  1X is capable of voice/sms/data. 

What I was saying is:  YOUR EVDO will not be any different no matter if your phone is on 800 or 1900 for voice.  Almost always, if you are on 800 voice, your cell site is also transmitting EVDO.  The EVDO will be on 1900 just like it is if your phone is using 1900 for voice.  If you are far away from the site, you may get 800 voice but be too far away to get 1900 EVDO.

What I was saying is: YOUR EVDO will not be any different no matter if your phone is on 800 or 1900 for voice. Almost always, if you are on 800 voice, your cell site is also transmitting EVDO. The EVDO will be on 1900 just like it is if your phone is using 1900 for voice. If you are far away from the site, you may get 800 voice but be too far away to get 1900 EVDO.

Correct. If PCS evdo is unavailable the phone will use 800smr 1x for data.

CDMA1X 800 ≤ 153.9 kbps.

AJ

3x faster than I get at Micky D's for lunch off 94 on the legacy 3G right now. Can't wait till this is finished.

So is the LTE 800 going to be on a 5x5 MHz carrier or a 3x3? Still unsure after reading a bit in this thread. Edit: also, if it's 3x3, what's the maximum speeds it'll allow?

LTE 800 should be mostly a 5x5 MHz carrier in most markets except for southeast US which it will use 3x3 MHz most likely.  Markets in the Canadian and Mexican IBEZ will get no 800 MHz LTE or CDMA support.

This might sound dump but is there any way sprint can acquire more 800smr spectrum? Just curious

I don't think so at least for a while if ever.  Unless US moves away from 800 MHz for public safety to 700 MHz public safety LTE band, I don't think we will see it for many years.  The good news is that if the entire 800 MHz band could be purchased if it was freed up, the current RRUs and panels can support the frequencies 806-869 MHz.

When you all mention the Southeast does that include Florida (specifically Miami)?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Not likely. Southernlinc's coverage is only present in the panhandle.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think so at least for a while if ever.  Unless US moves away from 800 MHz for public safety to 700 MHz public safety LTE band, I don't think we will see it for many years.  The good news is that if the entire 800 MHz band could be purchased if it was freed up, the current RRUs and panels can support the frequencies 806-869 MHz.

Nope. Current RRUs as deployed only support 862-869 mhz DL & 817-824mhz UL or the 14 mhz of SMR 800 spectrum Sprint utilizes. Nothing else. Not to mention between the UL and DL are cellular 850.

• Like 1

Nope. Current RRUs as deployed only support 862-869 mhz DL & 817-824mhz UL or the 14 mhz of SMR 800 spectrum Sprint utilizes. Nothing else. Not to mention between the UL and DL are cellular 850.

You're right. I was confusing the rrus with the panels which can support 806-869 mhz

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

CDMA1X 800 ≤ 153.9 kbps.

AJ

This is not bad, but what kind of ping times/latency can one expect on an uncrowded CDMA 1X 800 sector?

On some of the good NV-upgraded EVDO sectors I am seeing 90-120ms pings to the upstream Sprint router which isn't too shabby.  Legacy EVDO I get 400ms+ pings (on a good day).  On LTE I can get 20-30ms.

And if there are, for example, three 1X 800 devices simultaneously using a data connection on a 1X 800 sector, will the 153 kbps be divided amongst each device for ~50kbps each?  Or how does that work?  Sorry if this has already been asked.

This is not bad, but what kind of ping times/latency can one expect on an uncrowded CDMA 1X 800 sector?

On some of the good NV-upgraded EVDO sectors I am seeing 90-120ms pings to the upstream Sprint router which isn't too shabby.  Legacy EVDO I get 400ms+ pings (on a good day).  On LTE I can get 20-30ms.

And if there are, for example, three 1X 800 devices simultaneously using a data connection on a 1X 800 sector, will the 153 kbps be divided amongst each device for ~50kbps each?  Or how does that work?  Sorry if this has already been asked.

I think backhaul permitting, each person could get the full 153 kbps. I know I have certainly hit 151kbps while on 1x and I was browsing perfectly fine. My pings were in the 400-700ms

Just a quick question regarding 800mhz and IBEZ. I live in NE Ohio and I see that there are quite a few sites being upgraded. Exactly what kind of upgrade has been done when it says 3G/800 and what is the IBEZ and how does that effect the bands that I will be able to receive?